Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Farmers Insurance Open

fixyurdivot

On 1/31/2021 at 11:45 AM, Chip Strokes said:

the official didn’t get to examine the ball.  he got to see a spot Reed had spent more than a minute poking around at. 

i know he didn’t have to call the official over at all, like in rory’s case.  but if you want confirmation why not get it with the ball in its original spot?

cheaters are very good at cheating. reed might have the rules on his side here but he played that official like a fiddle. 

With the ball in the original spot, all you can see is grass and the top of the ball.  To make an evaluation, you have to see if the bottom of the ball is below the level of the surrounding ground surface, which requires lifting the ball.  If you choose to believe that Reed intentionally created a depression with a camera watching his every move, there's really no discussion possible, he's just guilty, no matter what the facts are.

Edited by DaveP043

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

It's sad that Reed continues to cheat, and sad that the PGA continues to look the other way, but the worst part is normal people turning off their brain for some reason just to 'go along' with the official ruling.

It is physically impossible for that ball to have been plugged. The reason Reed brought up the notion that 'no one saw it bounce' about a thousand times in his post round interview, is he knows, like everyone with a middle school level of physics education, that after the initial hit the ball will have lost most of it's velocity. Especially seeing how short the bounce was on film, there's simply no way. The only way a ball with that little velocity would have broken the surface of the ground is if they were playing golf in an actual swamp, in which case it clearly would have 'plugged' on the first hit.

The sky is blue. Grass is green. The sun is bright. Please don't turn off your brains people. We have to be better than this.

🥂

4 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

With the ball in the original spot, all you can see is grass and the top of the ball.  To make an evaluation, you have to see if the bottom of the ball is below the level of the surrounding ground surface, which requires lifting the ball.  If you choose to believe that Reed intentionally created a depression with a damage watching his every move, there's really no discussion possible, he's just guilty, no matter what the facts are.

yes, i understand the rule. i just think the whole thing smells a little funny. 

image.png.926c5dbfc594427870bc33c43f290630.pngSIM2 8º | KuroKage XD 70TX 

image.png.4f15ae5144722103242556b2db6d1033.pngSIM 3W 14º | Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 9TX

image.png.bce9eebd9a20266703b359d88959bbcb.pngSIM2 5W 18º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo designU500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo design T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Vokey Design Vector Logo | Free Download - (.SVG   .PNG) format - VTLogo.com SM6 52* SM8 56* SM8 60* | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
SIK Golf Partners with GolfPlus to Host Entry Level Professional Events!  DW | BGT Stability Tour

21 minutes ago, Chip Strokes said:

the official didn’t get to examine the ball.  he got to see a spot Reed had spent more than a minute poking around at. 

i know he didn’t have to call the official over at all, like in rory’s case.  but if you want confirmation why not get it with the ball in its original spot?

cheaters are very good at cheating. reed might have the rules on his side here but he played that official like a fiddle. 

So if he didn't call the rules official over you would be fine with what he did?   At this point, all that can be done is make accusations because the there is no actual evidence that he did anything against the rule.  Lets blame the cameraman for being in the wrong spot and not being able to show what he was doing.   

Was the routine that he followed questionable?  Yes.    Was there anything concrete that proved he violated the rules?  No.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Regardless of how it looks or how improbable it may seem, the fact of the matter is no one will be able to prove Reed "wrong" or "right". As @DaveP043has pointed out, he did everything within the realistic realm of the rules. Any assumptions based on your particular opinion of the guy doesn't change what happened. Sure, if he wanted to cheat in that moment he probably could have, and he'd get away with it. Isn't that why this has to be a "gentleman's game" after all? It's not realistic to have eyes on every single player in every single moment, whether they're real eyeballs or cameras.

Sometimes I don't totally understand the fury people have for the guy. Has he cheated in the past, and am I not a huge fan of him because of that? Sure. But when you cheat, you run the risk of getting caught. Every time you're caught, you get assessed the appropriate penalty as laid out in the rules. If the rules say it's a one stroke penalty and you think it should be 20 strokes and 5 years in prison, you're gonna have to take that one up with the governing bodies. Just my two cents I guess.

Anyways, I'm really pulling for Tony to pull this thing out. Seems like a great guy and I'm starting to really feel bad for all the additional pressure he must be feeling.

Right Handed

Driver: 9° :cobra-small: Speedzone (HZRDUS Smoke Green 70g X-Stiff shaft)

2 Hybrid: 18° :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

3/Driving Iron: 18° :Hogan: UiHi Iron (MMT Utility TX 105g shaft)

Irons: 4-GW :titelist-small: T100 irons (Nippon Modus 120 X-Stiff shafts) (2021 MGS Official Review here)

Wedges: 54° & 58° post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TSW Forged (Dynamic Gold S300)

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B (2019 MGS Official Review here)

Ball: MAXFLI Tour X

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

WITB thread here

6 minutes ago, cnosil said:

So if he didn't call the rules official over you would be fine with what he did?   At this point, all that can be done is make accusations because the there is no actual evidence that he did anything against the rule.  Lets blame the cameraman for being in the wrong spot and not being able to show what he was doing.   

Was the routine that he followed questionable?  Yes.    Was there anything concrete that proved he violated the rules?  No.  

that’s a good question. 

i think not knowing the ball bounced would really hurt his case if he went that route  

its within the rules to determine an embedded ball and take a drop. he could’ve proceeded without calling over an official, but the video later showing the bounce would have blown things sky high. 

my thought is that upon hearing the ball didn’t bounce, reed was thinking “ok cool, stress free legal drop”

like you say, can a violation be proven? nope.  but that’s where guys like Reed live: in that unprovable gray area  

image.png.926c5dbfc594427870bc33c43f290630.pngSIM2 8º | KuroKage XD 70TX 

image.png.4f15ae5144722103242556b2db6d1033.pngSIM 3W 14º | Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 9TX

image.png.bce9eebd9a20266703b359d88959bbcb.pngSIM2 5W 18º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo designU500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo design T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Vokey Design Vector Logo | Free Download - (.SVG   .PNG) format - VTLogo.com SM6 52* SM8 56* SM8 60* | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
SIK Golf Partners with GolfPlus to Host Entry Level Professional Events!  DW | BGT Stability Tour

I’m hoping Rory can go on a run for my Fantasy team but if not I’m rooting for Tony. He is just too good to not have more wins. 

As far a Reed goes, I would comment but it seems like a waste of breathe. Those that believe he cheated aren’t gonna change their mind and give his past as a deciding factor and those that think he was following the rules can’t be proven wrong.  At this point nobody can prove he cheated or not and it is arguing for the sake of arguing. 

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

6 minutes ago, Chip Strokes said:

that’s a good question. 

i think not knowing the ball bounced would really hurt his case if he went that route  

its within the rules to determine an embedded ball and take a drop. he could’ve proceeded without calling over an official, but the video later showing the bounce would have blown things sky high. 

my thought is that upon hearing the ball didn’t bounce, reed was thinking “ok cool, stress free legal drop”

like you say, can a violation be proven? nope.  but that’s where guys like Reed live: in that unprovable gray area  

If the volunteer had said the ball bounced,  I don't think this debate would be happening.  No one volunteered the information that the ball bounced and it wasn't until replay was viewed that it was determined that the ball bounced.      

Now change the perspective and  look at the rules during a general tournament where there are no camera's or you are a player that isn't being filmed because it is too early.   You ask people if it bounced or there are are no people available to ask.   You tell your partners you are going to lift your ball and you do what Reed  and the rules official did,  you feel for a lip in the soil and they found one.   Did Patrick's ball make the impression?  Did Patrick's fingers?  Did a ball that hit there earlier in the week?    

I understand what people are saying and we even make these kind of judgements in other areas outside of golf.   

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Just saw the video of Rory at 18.    The video showed the ball bounced so it could not have embedded.  Let's DQ Rory.   

3 hours ago, cnosil said:

Here is a response to that tweet and the analysis that in my opinion that really should be done and that the above tweet is wrong.   

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/tony-finau-closing-it-out-and-lou-is-wrecking-golf/id1543363295?i=1000507077657

Fantastic listen by the way, thanks for sharing! 

Right Handed

Driver: 9° :cobra-small: Speedzone (HZRDUS Smoke Green 70g X-Stiff shaft)

2 Hybrid: 18° :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

3/Driving Iron: 18° :Hogan: UiHi Iron (MMT Utility TX 105g shaft)

Irons: 4-GW :titelist-small: T100 irons (Nippon Modus 120 X-Stiff shafts) (2021 MGS Official Review here)

Wedges: 54° & 58° post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TSW Forged (Dynamic Gold S300)

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B (2019 MGS Official Review here)

Ball: MAXFLI Tour X

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

WITB thread here

Now Chamblee is justifying Rory's cheating by saying it was a low spot and could have more water.  I think Rory avoided calling over the rules official because it wasn't really embedded.  

Now being serious,  I don't think either player violated the rules. 

Just now, cnosil said:

Now Chamblee is justifying Rory's cheating by saying it was a low spot and could have more water.  I think Rory avoided calling over the rules official because it wasn't really embedded.  

Now being serious,  I don't think either player violated the rules. 

They just need an antagonist, and Patrick Reed is unfortunately stepped into their trap.

I’ll be the first to say, I did not care for him to win the Masters... I actually tried to will his ball in the water, which I believe Kenny B pointed out was a terrible use of post number 9000 I believe. 

anyways... regardless of how much they try to bury the guy, he keeps on coming back, takes it on the chin, and continues to play good golf.

I am by no means a rule guy but looking at both Rory and Reed’s handling of their situations were in my eyes the same. Reed has a reputation and once you have they you’ll never shake it. To bad so sad, doesn’t negate the fact he’s playing good golf

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

Here's a statement from the Tour on both Reed and Rory's situations...

“It was reasonable for both players to conclude – based on the fact that they did not see the ball land, but given the lie of the ball in soft course conditions – that they proceed as the rule allows for a potential embedded ball."

“Both players took proper relief under the [rules]. The committee is comfortable with how both players proceeded given the fact that they used the evidence they had at the time."

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

DRIVER PXG 0811XF GEN4 (10.5°)

FAIRWAY WOODS PXG 0341XF GEN4 (16°)

HYBRIDS PXG 0317XF GEN4 (19°), PXG 0317X GEN4 (22°)

IRONS PXG 0311T GEN3 (5 - 9)

WEDGES TAYLORMADE MG3 (45°, 50°, 55° TW Grind, 60° TW Grind)

PUTTER PXG BATTLE READY ONE & DONE

There are some great comments from the collective on this embedded ball debate. Thank you to @DaveP043 and @cnosil for highlighting excellent points. 

Is there anything wrong with this statement: "All professional golfers are models of perfection and never make mistakes, poor judgement calls, or bad golf shots."?

The end of all the debate is that pro golfers are entertainers - we, as golf fans, want to see excellent players playing manicured courses under the guise of competition. Networks exist to sell advertising. Players have bills to pay. 

I don't believe neither Reed nor Rory intentionally cheated. I am all for the players taking full advantage of the rules, especially following the inclement weather the previous day. 

The common rules I use when I play are:

• relief from unusual ground/turf conditions when I find brown patches in the fairway 
  • relief from man made obstructions for line of sight relief
  • cart path relief
  • life clean and place in muddy conditions

I am more surprised at the lack of great scoring Sat in good conditions. I can only image the weather the previous day drained some of the player's stamina where the players ran out of steam in the second half of their round?

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg

2 hours ago, cnosil said:

Just saw the video of Rory at 18.    The video showed the ball bounced so it could not have embedded.  Let's DQ Rory.   

Where is that video? I cant find it. 

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

4 minutes ago, pulledabill said:

Where is that video? I cant find it. 

Nevermind...I see its up on youtube. 

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

Just now, tchat07 said:

CBS we get it. Why arent we watching golf and watching interviews with 6 different people talking about yesterday when the rules were followed.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

You'd think they would discuss it while we watch the players. 

Throughout the ages we've had various forms of vigilantism... social media is but the latest in that succession. Anyone think their favorite players have never outright cheated or stretched the rules?  Don't think they may have ever grounded a club in the deep rough that cause their ball to move and opted not to call themselves on it, taken an extra couple of inches on that driver length relief to avoid a bad patch of turf, etc.?  Just imagine what we might have seen back in days before on the course media saturation.  

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)

I don’t care - they have officials on the ground to make rulings and that’s what I will go by.

I am so exhausted by this so called coverage - every time I look up there’s someone talking about none current pay in the tournament stuff.

Ridiculous IMO

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

6 minutes ago, revkev said:

I don’t care - they have officials on the ground to make rulings and that’s what I will go by.

I am so exhausted by this so called coverage - every time I look up there’s someone talking about none current pay in the tournament stuff.

Ridiculous IMO

Good thing Nobilo is commentating to let us know every time Reed hits a shot out of the rough that it did in fact bounce first!  What a joke. 

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

I do find it fascinating how many people are using the replay camera angle to defend Rory's drop versus Patrick's, but when Patrick used camera angles in his defense for the bunker incident no one was having any of it.

To be clear, I am not saying either of them cheated yesterday. It's more the different reaction given the polar opposite reputations of the players involved that I find fascinating for what amounted to the same incident for both.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

DRIVER PXG 0811XF GEN4 (10.5°)

FAIRWAY WOODS PXG 0341XF GEN4 (16°)

HYBRIDS PXG 0317XF GEN4 (19°), PXG 0317X GEN4 (22°)

IRONS PXG 0311T GEN3 (5 - 9)

WEDGES TAYLORMADE MG3 (45°, 50°, 55° TW Grind, 60° TW Grind)

PUTTER PXG BATTLE READY ONE & DONE

Richy Werenski killed me today. +7  WOW

:ping-small:  G400 Driver, Alta CB 55 S, Winn Dri-Tac

:ping-small:  G400 3W, Alta CB S Flex 65, Winn Dri-Tac

:ping-small:  G400 19*, Alta CB S Flex 70, Winn Dri-Tac

:ping-small:  G400 4-U Irons, Alta CB S Flex, Winn Dri-Tac

:callaway-small: Smart Sole SW,

:odyssey-small: White Steel 2 Ball SRT Putter - Odyssey Stroke Lab Grip

Sure do like the Camera Drones. Give a completely different view of the golf course.
I’ve never been to Torrey Pines so this perspective is great.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Good thing Nobilo is commentating to let us know every time Reed hits a shot out of the rough that it did in fact bounce first!  What a joke. 

“No Frank, you’re wrong.” From the CBS rules expert. Best line of the week.

I’m not a huge Reed fanboy - he’s on my fantasy team again because I’ve twice gotten him in a spot where he was the best value.

His wife and my oldest daughter have the same name too. :)

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I'm signed up for a virtual USGA rules seminar in March, I wonder if CBS would spend a few bucks to get the announcers some rules education.  Or if the announcers care enough to try to learn something.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

What the F for Rahm - doesn’t he realize there are fantasy points on the line, here?

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches