Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Aim & Alignment off the tee

One thing that has helped me a lot is understanding that the tee markers are not always an invisible line that you tee your ball between and fire away from and that they are just a starting point.

I have worked a lot on my aim and alignment and it has helped me quite a bit. I see guys I play with just tee it up in the middle of the tee markers and hit and I don't understand why they don't take a few extra minutes to look at the hole, see the hazards ahead and realize that sometimes it's okay to hit the ball into the rough.

Has anyone else adjusted their strategy? Do you tee it up on one side of the tee box or the other? Are you more of a tee it in the middle player?

image.png.6a7e1756b0b28332b4ac71f0f8aa3be1.png

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

I am with you. I see most people tee up in the middle and go. I always tried and move vertically within the markers to get a better angle or tailor my natural shot path to the hole. 

New golfer, left handed, slowly replacing old starter set from when I was in high school.

⛳🛄  as of 5/16/2023 
Driver: Tour Spec Pro Par Oversize White Dot

Wood: :cobra-small: King F9 Speedback 3-4 Fairway

Tour Spec Pro Par Oversize White Dot 5 Wood

Hybrid:  :callaway-small:Steelhead XR 4H 22*

Irons: 3i-8i Tour Spec Pro Par Oversize White Dot

:cobra-small: 9i King F6 R-Flex Steel

PW: Tour Spec Pro Par Oversize White Dot

54*: :vokey-small: SM6 M Grind

Putter: :cleveland-small: TFi 1.0 2135 Satin Blade

Balls: Whatever I find in the rough right now

Bag:  🐏Stand Bag I found thrown out (missing carry strap)

I always use the alignment mark on the ball on the green for my putt, so why wouldn't I align the ball to where I want the ball to go off the tee.  At my course you would be amazed where the tee boxes point you!!  I don't know if the grounds crew does that on purpose, but I do know that many of them don't play golf, so they don't care if the markers are properly set.  BTW, I have been known to move a marker in the interest of speeding up play.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I'm definitely in the camp of: 1. using the ball mark on the tee and 2. Using the side or middle of the tee box that best suits my drive. I've watched the LPGA players do both, however,  never paid attention to the PGA players doing it. 

Note: my normal swing path is a slight fade so the ball mark alignment on the tee tends to help me especially on dogleg fairways that favor righties. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

tons and tons of info on DECADE and Scott Fawcett but this quote is one that really stands out to me...

paraphrasing since I don't remember the exact quote:

"when we're golfing we're using a shotgun and not a sniper rifle"

understanding this, and what it means, helped me stop losing balls and start scoring better.

Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X

I'll move side to side on the tee box based on the hole layout and where the "good" misses are based on whatever shot shape I'm working with that day. I pick an aim point, then a closer point in line with that within a few feet, and then step up to the close aim point.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

I position myself in the tee box that works best for that particular hole. I have a straight tee shot for the most part so I'm not moving to one side of the box to give me extra room for the ball to move back. I do it to make the hole as short as possible. So, if it's a dogleg right I will move left and hit tight to the corner. I also always use the line on my ball to line up the tee shot to an exact point in the fairway I want to hit to. Then all I do is focus on swinging my club down the line on the ball. That is just what works for me. 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

1 hour ago, Kenny B said:

At my course you would be amazed where the tee boxes point you!!

I had something similar happen at my course recently. I was on the 17th tee box and this is where the markers were aiming. 

20230527_152052-01.jpeg.f9b3bb1c13c50ffa3658f4da9ea957da.jpeg

I didn't get the second marker in the photo, but I will say the fairway is to the left of the cart path in this picture. 

4 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

I had something similar happen at my course recently. I was on the 17th tee box and this is where the markers were aiming. 

I didn't get the second marker in the photo, but I will say the fairway is to the left of the cart path in this picture. 

CRAZY! Some people think the imaginary line between the markers is like a free throw line in basketball and you have to stand on it.  My buddy sometimes does that. I tell him to stop, hold his club up to his waist and look where he's pointed. Right into the trees!!

I was at a course one day when they were mowing the boxes and the guy just kind of plopped the markers down without even looking down the fairway!

Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X

26 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

At least it's green out there!  For some reason on our #12 par 3 they like to put the Forward tees aimed at the middle of the pond to the right of the green complex.  The pond doesn't come into play unless you slice or shank it... done it!!  There is sand short and right of the green anyway.  

@StrokerAce Your analogy of the basketball free throw line is appropriate, and people don't think.  Maybe the course aligns the markers that way on purpose for tournaments but for normal weekend play at a muni, it's just a recipe for slow play.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I have a couple of comments.  First, tee it up behind the markers, but do NOT use the markers to align yourself to your intended aim line..  Those markers aren't always placed to aim at the center of the fairway or green, or even anywhere close  Second, feel free to use the entire 2 clublengths behind the markers.  Sometimes that little btt if extra distance can give you a bit of psychological help if you're between clubs.  Third, feel free to use the entire width of the Teeing Area, maybe to find the best level spot, maybe to give you a preferred angle.  I don't really believe that the difference between one side of the teeing area and the other can make much of a difference, try drawing a 200-yard line and varying the start point by 10 or 12 feet each way, its a really small angular difference.  But again, that image may help you to feel more comfortable, and to make a better swing.  Similarly with a line on the ball, use it if it helps you.  I'm not a believer, a miniscule mis-alignment of a 1.5" line could equate to 10 or 20 yards at the end of a drive, to me proper alignment to a target comes from a decent bit of practice with alignment sticks.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Just now, DaveP043 said:

I have a couple of comments.  First, tee it up behind the markers, but do NOT use the markers to align yourself to your intended aim line..  Those markers aren't always placed to aim at the center of the fairway or green, or even anywhere close  Second, feel free to use the entire 2 clublengths behind the markers.  Sometimes that little btt if extra distance can give you a bit of psychological help if you're between clubs.  Third, feel free to use the entire width of the Teeing Area, maybe to find the best level spot, maybe to give you a preferred angle.  I don't really believe that the difference between one side of the teeing area and the other can make much of a difference, try drawing a 200-yard line and varying the start point by 10 or 12 feet each way, its a really small angular difference.  But again, that image may help you to feel more comfortable, and to make a better swing.  Similarly with a line on the ball, use it if it helps you.  I'm not a believer, a miniscule mis-alignment of a 1.5" line could equate to 10 or 20 yards at the end of a drive, to me proper alignment to a target comes from a decent bit of practice with alignment sticks.

Great advice Dave!

I'll just add to it that you only have to have your ball in the teeing area. I've stood outside the markers for a few shots before because they were misaligned so badly.

Good tip in the 2 club length. I don't really see too many people doing that.

Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X

I was always taught to hit from the side of the tee box closest to the trouble you want to miss, i.e., aim away from.  That means you have to miss bigger to find the trouble you are trying to avoid.

I also know my misses are usually to the right, so I find myself often on the right side of the tee box, aiming leftward in the fairway, for the same reason (if I'm not trying to work the ball a certain way).

Working at getting better ... and very slowly getting there.

•  :callaway-small: Paradym 🔹🔹🔹 8* (:accra: FX 3.0 140 M0 Otto-Phlex)
  •  :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 & 5 Woods (:Fuji: MotoreX F1 7-S)
  • :callaway-small: Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrid (:Fuji: MotoreX HB 7-S)
  •  :Miura: CB-57 4-P or Maltby TS3 (4-8)/TS4 (9-PW)/TS1 (GW) (shafts:  :projectx: LZ 6.0)
  • :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore 53*, and 58* mid wedges (KBS High Rev 125)
  • :scotty-small: Special Select Fastback 1.5
  • :redrooster: Gloves
  •  :maxfli: Tour X Balls

Don't count my clubs!  Ha.  The 4 iron, 5 hybrid, and 53* Cleveland are in and out of the bag depending on mood, course, and moon phase.

My Official 2024 TaylorMade Qi10 Review:  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/62804-taylormade-qi10-drivers-2024-forum-member-review/?do=findComment&comment=1014200

My Official 2023 Red Rooster Sussex Glove Review:  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/58614-2023-mgs-forum-member-test-red-rooster-sussex-golf-glove/#comment-911042

Similar to others I try to position myself so that I have a good view of the widest part of the fairway where I think my ball might land. That could be middle or towards one side.

I'll also prefer to aim away from what looks like the worst trouble .. and I do use the line on my ball to help me align myself to my intended target line.

I also look for a clean and level patch of ground to stand on - some tee boxes may be chewed up or the ground may be sloped or crowned for drainage - and at this point in my golfing I *need* to make myself as comfortable as possible on the tee! (So I rarely stand outside the markers.)

Some Par 3s I may move back from the line a few feet, if I think it better fits my intended yardage .. but then I go ahead and duff the shot anyway 🤪

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

The hole in the pic below is a good example of how using the line on the ball can lead to success. The hole is a par 3 where the green is perched up high with trouble on the right - steep bunkers and on the left a steep drop off with tall rough. As a lefty,  I use to continually hit the ball into the drop off rough because when I'm on the tee all I could see is the water hazard. Aiming the ball mark right at the green, now gets me there 90% of the time. BTW that was a birdie today. 

Screenshot2023-06-02at4_30_25PM.png.9f81420866f7afe14bd912b9919e7ab2.png

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

As others have stated, I move left and right in the tee box based on where I’m aiming at in the fairway. I try to find my aimpoint before I put my tee in the ground to create my target line. I also will use my two club lengths from the tee markers to make sure that I have a good place to stand. Some tee boxes are definitely not flat. Last but not least, I have recently began using the alignment on the ball to help me line up when I address the ball on the tee box. It seems to help me get the alignment set up fairly well. 

:titleist-small: TSi3 10° w/ Mitsubishi Tensei 1K Black 65g

:titleist-small: TS2 15° 3W w/ Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 70g

:titleist-small: 818 H1 21° Hybrid w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 70g

:mizuno-small: MP-18 MMC 2 iron w/ KBS Tour C-Taper S 120g

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 HM 5-GW w/ Project X LZ 5.5 115g

:Sub70: JB Forged 54° & 58° w/ Project X LZ 6.0 120g

:EVNROLL: EV5.3 Black