Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

loss of distance with colder weather

im fairly new to golf and have noticed a big drop in distance with the colder weather moving in and I did not know if any of the VETs on the Forum knew and tricks or ways to beat it I have currently just started to club up 1 to 2 clubs but it messes with my head so i didnt know if anyone had any tricks 

Ogio bag

Driver: Cobra LTDX

3 wood: PING 425 max

Irons 5-U : PING G710s

52 bent to 51 vokey 

54: vokey 

58 degree: Callaway jaws 

putter: Wilson harmonized v2 / testing   Odessy AI- ONE Double Wide    

Great question - I too am always looking for an answer.  I don't think you can beat it - but maybe compensate for it.  No matter what, you are taking an extra club at least...

I think it starts with a good dynamic warm up inside before you go - get the blood flowing.  I really like Sasho's warm up for the Stack system and do an abbreviated version before playing. 

I think its also about being smart about what/how many layers you wear.  Again you are fighting the cold - being stiff and lacking mobility - as much as your golf ball is.  Have some compression pants or a shirt so its not bulky but flexible and designed to help you generate your own heat. 

I've got one of those electronic hand warmers and I keep a couple balls in it and swap them out on the green, and then the next tee.  Only so much you can do there. 

Other ideas?

Walking ahead of my BagBoy QuadXL w Alphard eWheels
Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3W  Titelist TS2 15* Draw w Tensei Blue R flex
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
5I-GW Cobra Forged TEC Black One Length (1”short, 2* flat) KBS 90 R flex shafts
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts
ER7  or Scotty Futura X - 35”

OnCore Elixr (lemon or lime)

There is no beating it, it's cold and the ball isn't going to go as far.  Learn to club up and trust it.

Like @WaffleHouseTour said you can swap golf balls.  Try to keep them warm using hand warmers or keeping them in a warm pocket and swap every hole or two, but that's only going to do so much.  

I've heard of some folks trying to play lower compression balls in the cold but I've never seen a test that says that will actually help.  To me soft is slow no matter the temp.

There used to be an app called Myardage that let you input your clubs and usual distances, then it would read the current weather conditions and tell you how far your clubs would go based on current weather.  The guy who made it was on the forum at one point but that was years ago and I just checked the app store and it didn't come up for iOS.  I do still have it though and will check from time to time.  Just as a "for instance"  It's currently 35 degrees at my house, the app says my 150yd club will only travel 140yds right now.  

Unfortunately there is also 3" of snow on the ground so I'm not going to test that out.  Which brings me to the last point...You still get to play golf!  Just club up and be thankful you can still play 🙂

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Here's one more on compensating for the distance, not trying to get it back in cold weather.  https://golf.com/instruction/cold-weather-golf-ball-formula-yardages/

Keep in mind that is purely distance loss due to colder temps, still have to factor in wind and elevation.  Also if you're bundled up you won't be swinging as freely.  If the ground is getting harder too you may get more roll and the greens won't hold as well.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Warm your balls or move to a warmer climate.      In reality it is just adaptation just like you do for the wind.    

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

One other challenge to playing in the cold is just gripping the club. I’ve got some FJ cold weather gloves - but they aren’t very tacky and I feel like the club wants to slip in my fingers. Would really like to find a thin, tacky, warm glove. (Yes, I want it all).  Had to do a stack speed session outside today in 34* and I ditched the FJ gloves after a couple swings as I thought I was going to toss the stick across the yard

Walking ahead of my BagBoy QuadXL w Alphard eWheels
Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3W  Titelist TS2 15* Draw w Tensei Blue R flex
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
5I-GW Cobra Forged TEC Black One Length (1”short, 2* flat) KBS 90 R flex shafts
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts
ER7  or Scotty Futura X - 35”

OnCore Elixr (lemon or lime)

1 hour ago, WaffleHouseTour said:

One other challenge to playing in the cold is just gripping the club. I’ve got some FJ cold weather gloves - but they aren’t very tacky and I feel like the club wants to slip in my fingers. Would really like to find a thin, tacky, warm glove. (Yes, I want it all).  Had to do a stack speed session outside today in 34* and I ditched the FJ gloves after a couple swings as I thought I was going to toss the stick across the yard

I don't know what temperature you may be facing, but I have used the Red Rooster rain gloves in colder and drier conditions here with no issue. By colder, I mean low to mid 40's with wind, and my hands stayed warm, and they seem to grip with much less grip pressure applied than the FJ winter gloves I previously used. 

Driver & Fairway: :titleist-small: Titleist TSR3 10 degree - :Fuji: Ventus TR Blue & :titleist-small: TSR3 15 - :projectx: Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black 

Hybrid: :callaway-small: Callaway Apex UW 19 - :projectx: Hzrdus Smoke Black

Irons: :titleist-small: Titleist T200 3G (4) & T150 - (5-G) - :projectx: Project X LZ 

Wedges: :vokey-small: Vokey SM8 54, and 58

Putter: :cameron-small: Cameron Phantom X 7

Ball: :titleist-small: Pro V1 & :maxfli: Maxfli Tour

No big tricks that I know of. Main thing is just trusting your yardage and club. If everything is going a club shorter then don't try to muscle it up there. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

This makes perfect since now.  It was much cooler yesterday, something I'm not use to (Texas).  I was short on a lot of approach shots and I hadn't thought about the ball traveling less distance. I'm glad we don't get many cold days.  

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

When the temps drop I keep the clubs and balls inside so they're warm to start and I rotate golf balls on each tee.  I have two in my pocket staying warm and 1 in play.  If it is real cold I use softer golf balls and a hand warmer.  I am usually using an extra club or two anyway because of being stiff or wearing extra layers.  If it gets too cold for me to play comfortably (30's or lower) I will head to the pole barn to hit balls into the net or wait until there is strong sunshine to hit backyard wedges to get my golf fix.  The pole barn is not heated but at least its out of the wind.

Also my mindset for winter golf is to not worry about scoring but only to keep my swing somewhat familiar so there isn't much rust to shake off in the spring when it does warm up.

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

Things that work for me  

Club up. Sometimes 2.  
Learn to pick the ball, do not take a divot, turf is firmer, less forgiving. 
Swing easy, it’s cold, you are cold, your equipment is cold.
Wear lightweight yet cold beating layers. Especially wind breaking materials, water repellent materials. 
I carry runners long pants, lightweight stops wind. 
Lower your expectations, results will rise. 
Yes, gloves on both hands, regular, rain, winter, mittens. Mix and match.  
Warm up as close to tee time, body cools off quicker in cold. 
Know what gets you cold. Myself must keep wind off neck and chest. 
Stay hydrated, equal amounts of coffee and water. 

Enjoy, beating the weather is part of beating the course. 

Ed Bailey-Mershon

Echoing what others have said: (1) dress appropriately (thin warm layers); (2) club up  or play up a set of tees; (3) keep the balls you are playing as warm as possible; (4) allow for warming up (good stretching, etc); (5) accept that the ball won’t go as far and stay in your game with your swing; (6) good gloves - maybe mittens for in between shots and (7) enjoy the fact you get to play when it’s too cold for others (here in Eastern NC it’s year round for me).

WITB? Ping G400 SFT w/Aldila Mamba shaft R flex; Ping G410 3w; Ping G400 3h(19), 4h(22), 5h(26); TaylorMade SLDR 5i (interchanges w/5h)-PW -stock graphite shafts Rflex; INDI FLX-S wedges (50, 54, 58) w/Recoil graphite shafts -Rflex and Odyssey AI-One 7T BD Milled (aka Millie), ball choice tends to be Pro-V1 or simliar 3pc urethane balls. 

I wear four turtlenecks from "32 degrees".  Lightweight, flexible, comfy.  Light wool sweater over that and finally my windshirt.  Hand warmers in each pocket.  Warm hat.  Hankie handy because a runny nose in cold, windy weather happens.  Silk sock liners under a pair of smartwool socks.  Keep the golf balls in a pocket with its own hand warmer and rotate them.  And 1 or 2 clubs more than normal for me. 

I was hoping to play Thursday but it's questionable if the snow will have melted here in Wisconsin, dammit.  Season might be over here, sadly.  Which means fussing over the equipment and a regrip with hopes for an early spring.

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Ping G430 SFT 3 wood and Ping G430 HL 7 wood SR flex

Ping G430 4,5,6,7 hybrids  SR flex

Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 8,9,P,G, SW irons   A Flex

Cleveland Smart Sole S wedge  A Flex

Cobra Nova putter

16 hours ago, Blaine Dye said:

im fairly new to golf and have noticed a big drop in distance with the colder weather moving in and I did not know if any of the VETs on the Forum knew and tricks or ways to beat it I have currently just started to club up 1 to 2 clubs but it messes with my head so i didnt know if anyone had any tricks 

@Blaine Dyenothing you can do about the yardage loss. The USGA says for every 10 degrees you'll lose 2 yards. Furthermore MGS did a study that showed when playing in temps below 32 degrees you can expect to lose 21 yards. All of this is due to a variety of factors including a lack of ability to compress the ball due to temps, colder air is usually more dense and imparts more drag on the ball than warm air does. Include factors such as additional clothing layers, a firmer ground, and a host of other previously mentioned environmental factors and the fact is the ball flies less and there isn't anything you can do about it outside of clubbing up. As you gain more experience playing in a variety of conditions, you'll adapt more easily to the changes needed for the round. Enjoy the game in all conditions and as much as score is important, have fun playing the game!

Brian

Driver: Titleist TSR3 9* | H2 track setting | C4 hosel setting | Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6X

3 wood: Titleist TSi3 15* | T track setting | B4 hosel setting | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7X

5 wood: Titleist TSR2 18* | C4 hosel setting | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 8S

Hybrid: Titleist TSR2 21* | B1 hosel setting | Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9X

Irons: Titleist T100 Black | 5-P | True Temper AMT Tour White X100

Wedges: Vokey SM9 Jet Black | 50.08F, 54.12D, 58.08M | True Temper AMT Tour White S300

Putter: Scotty Cameron Champions Choice Button Back Newport 2.5+

Like many others have said, there's no beating it. Just adapting to it. Clubbing up and adjusting your landing spots for more rollout, and working on lower shots to stay under the wind are pretty much all you can do. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

I live south of Boston and we have courses open year round when the snow is clear.  

When it gets below 60 degrees, take an extra club. Especially golfers over 50. We're not as flexible. 

Good news is, when the course gets very cold (frozen), 300+ yd drives happen. The ball keeps going on concrete-like fairways. 

Winter golf with a flask of high-test swing oil makes for a great day.

image.png.94f13df8145a5d3d3e8432352619fb85.png

15 hours ago, hckymeyer said:

Unfortunately there is also 3" of snow on the ground so I'm not going to test that out.  Which brings me to the last point...You still get to play golf!  Just club up and be thankful you can still play 🙂

Official posting season ended yesterday for MI and we got light snow last night (not as much as @hckymeyer but a reminder of bleak days to come).  Any remaining chances to play are bonus days with little in the way of competitive expectations.  As others are are saying, (1) know how to keep yourself warm -- hands, feet, core, head -- we all react differently to lower temps; (2) lower compression balls -- yes, not as fast depending on your swing speed, but much easier on the hands in 30-40º weather; (3) take more club; and, (4) lower your expectations about distance, score, how you "should be" playing, etc.  Most of all, enjoy being out on the course!

Driver:  Ping G425 Max (10.5º; Regular )

Fwy:  Cobra King SZ (3; Regular); Ping G410 (5; Regular)

Hybrids: Ping G410 (22º and 26º; Regular)

Irons: Cleveland Launcher XL (6-U)

Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 (54º/12º), and Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 (58º/8º)

Putter:  Ping Karsten Anser X

As many have stated. Yes it’s true and no, you can’t change it. (The weather) when it gets cool here in Florida (all relative I guess) I rotate balls on every hole keeping the extra ball and a hand warmer in my pocket. I also take one extra club in addition to adjusting for wind a slope. Also add a propane heater to your cart if you have one. The other alternative my better half suggested is “don’t play stupid”, but then again, she’s not a golfer.

Using Cure CX3 putter

As many have said, there’s no real “tricks,” but I’ve found that the more comfortable I am, the better I play. I bring or buy a coffee or hot chocolate. Usually I’ll wear one or two cold gear stretchy under layers, with a stretchy hoody and a stretchy running jacket (I found the running jackets have wind protection, warmth & flexibility). Also, I see a lot of people wearing jeans when it’s cold. Jeans aren’t flexible so I would avoid them. I wear two gloves and sometimes bring large winter mittens to put on between shots.

The other thing I do, like some others have mentioned, is to keep a ball or two in a pocket and swap them every hole. 

Lastly, make it fun! A friend and I made up an alternate shot variation last winter and it was the most fun round I had all year. 

WITB (link to detailed post here):

Driver:  Cobragolflogo.png.602fb363b272aeca0ae57ab591da02de.png LTDx 9* (ProjectX BlueSmoke Stiff)

Fairway metals:  TITLEIST_logo_15px.png.86858562876473681822bdce0336ecd4.png 3W TSR2 14.25* (ProjectX BlueSmoke Stiff) | PXG_Logo.png.e8b8454bf242754d2326ecb0a719cd30.png 5W Gen4 0341XF (Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 75 S)

Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.e8b8454bf242754d2326ecb0a719cd30.png4H Gen4 0317XF (Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 75HY S)

Irons:   Sub70.png.5f7ea5565c2690f7d237f327e2e5238a.png 659 CB 5-AW (Project X Rifle 6.0)

Wedges:   Sub70.png.5f7ea5565c2690f7d237f327e2e5238a.png 286 54* & 58* (KBS Tour 120 S)

Putter:  Sub70.png.5f7ea5565c2690f7d237f327e2e5238a.png AL-6 armlock | Unofficial review here

Ball:   Vice_logo.png.282566e7be35424dbb3a5d3359e6385f.png pro drip: red & blue | MAXFLI_logo_15px.png.137df4bf59bf3628d99abc6ca08fd43f.png Tour S

Pushcart:  clicgear_logo.png.5569d627daa35e79384784c8a4e886f4.png 4.0 | '23 MGS Clicgear 4.0 Pushcart Tester | Link here

I live in Michigan which means you either play in cold weather and adapt or you play for 3 months only...

The first thing I do in cool/cold weather is to layer with compression gear under everything.

Second thing I do is layer as few and as light as possible so I can actually make a swing. Being able to swing normally has a big impact on the distance the ball is going. When we start out in the high 40's with a forecast of 60-65 you need to shed as the temps rise. 

Third, I carry the small hand warmer chem packs in my pockets-I will put a ball in with them and switch every couple of holes-plus it helps to keep the hands warm.

Fourth, I will wear winter or rain gloves on both hands to keep them warm-again-this impacts your distance AND a warm hat that covers your head and ears. I have several stocking type hats that fit over a golf cap so I get the visor shading and can remove the stocking hat when it warms up..

Lastly, I always play an extra club or two or three-depending upon temp and wind speed. No one is watching what club you hit and the point is to get the ball where it needs to go. I tried changing to lower compression balls a few years ago but in my case-it made no difference so I just stick with my normal choice.

To me, keeping YOU as warm and dry as possible is the key to playing in cold weather and the rest will fall in place.

Hope that helps!

Edited by CaptStang

Golf Gear Head

15 hours ago, cnosil said:

Warm your balls or move to a warmer climate.      In reality it is just adaptation just like you do for the wind.    

I came here for the "move" comments, thanks for not disappointing Chris! 

to the OP @Blaine Dye:

As a fellow cold-climate golfer who likes to play even after the temp drop I have to approach the round differently when it's really cold.  Consider moving up a tee box.  I find the issue is greater on long clubs than short clubs, so if I play up a tee box my approaches will be from similar spots and then it's less of an issue.  Also getting your body warm and wearing quality clothing that can still move with you makes a big difference.  If I'm really layered up I'll loose several MPH of swing speed which is going to only exacerbate the problem of the ball not flying as far in the cold weather to begin with.  

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

19 hours ago, Blaine Dye said:

a great question and appropriate for me as well as we are going into winter on the west coast of British Columbia and try to squeeze as many winter rounds in as possible. 

Over the years once the temperature drops under 10 degrees celcius or 50 degrees Farenheit (approx) I add 10% to my distance, ie 120 yd shot becomes 132. 

It seems to work so I stick with it. 

I try to keep it pretty simple that way, of course I will take wind, rain, stance etc. then add 10% to that number, hope this helps you a bit.

committed to performance excellence

2 hours ago, BLD7 said:

@Blaine Dyenothing you can do about the yardage loss. The USGA says for every 10 degrees you'll lose 2 yards. Furthermore MGS did a study that showed when playing in temps below 32 degrees you can expect to lose 21 yards. All of this is due to a variety of factors including a lack of ability to compress the ball due to temps, colder air is usually more dense and imparts more drag on the ball than warm air does. Include factors such as additional clothing layers, a firmer ground, and a host of other previously mentioned environmental factors and the fact is the ball flies less and there isn't anything you can do about it outside of clubbing up. As you gain more experience playing in a variety of conditions, you'll adapt more easily to the changes needed for the round. Enjoy the game in all conditions and as much as score is important, have fun playing the game!

Brian

This is the first comment that has what I was going to offer - nice take @BLD7 ! Colder weather means air density increases, which increases drag (think of air as a fluid - with viscosity (thickness) imparting friction as the main factor affecting travel), thereby decreasing distance travelled. Swing restriction via additional clothing only compounds this condition. Additionally, colder temperatures cause club materials to contract, which affects performance. Some materials may actually perform better in colder temperatures, but my assumption is that most club materials lose the ability to deform as temperature decreases. 

@BLD7 - can you link to the MGS study? I'd like to look that over!

Titleist TSR3 // Tensei 1K Black 65g

Titleist TSR3 3W 15* // HZRDOUS Black 70g

Titleist U505 2i // HZRDOUS Black 85g

Taylormade P770 4-PW // Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 105g

Callaway JAWS MD5 50*

Callaway JAWS Raw 54* / 58*

Taylormade Spider GTX Single Bend Splitback / Ping Zing 2

Titleist ProV1 // Srixon Z-Star XV (Depending on how much money I want to lose any given swing)

7 minutes ago, taylorjonasher said:

@BLD7 - can you link to the MGS study? I'd like to look that over!

Pretty sure this is the study he was referencing: 

https://mygolfspy.com/labs/hot-versus-cold-golf-balls/

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

10 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Thanks! Looks like they only tested the golf balls across a temperature range. I'd really like to see the data on what ball flight looks like in cold air temps coupled with cold clubs and cold balls! 

Titleist TSR3 // Tensei 1K Black 65g

Titleist TSR3 3W 15* // HZRDOUS Black 70g

Titleist U505 2i // HZRDOUS Black 85g

Taylormade P770 4-PW // Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 105g

Callaway JAWS MD5 50*

Callaway JAWS Raw 54* / 58*

Taylormade Spider GTX Single Bend Splitback / Ping Zing 2

Titleist ProV1 // Srixon Z-Star XV (Depending on how much money I want to lose any given swing)

Really thought that my back pain was recovering nicely.  Temperature dropped at least 35 degrees from those loverly 85 degree weather yesterday.  Did my normal Tuesday PT and felt great.  Got up early this morning and did my morning exercises and left for the course.  Normal warm up swings with my whip.  Felt great.  The the cold wind came in off the Atlantic, at least twenty  miles per hour. Had layered up with my favorite FJ outerwear but just not enough with the upper 40's (which was definitely unexpected) and those 20mph winds.   Temperature actually starting dropping after we teed off.  Bummer.  Had to throw on the hydrolite rain jacket to hopefully break the wind, which it did help, but just too many layers.  Lasted four holes as the back tightened up. Said the pain not worth it, packed up and came home.  Did not seem to loose distance of the tee on hole one or two.  That extra layer hampered my swing a bit, so when I added it on hole three, could tell the difference.  Had text on my phone that my new clubs had come in, so day not a total waste. Cannot wait the hit them (Titleist TSR1 23* hybrid and Titleist T350 irons 6-48W).  Hope this cold and wind get thru here by the weekend and I can get to the range.  Am working Friday and Saturday.  Member/guest on Friday and Trunk Show on Saturday.   

Driver - TSi3 10.75* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TR

Fairway - TSi2 14.25* - Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.1 

Fairway - TSR1 17.0* - Fujikura Vista Pro 65S

Hybrid - TSR1 19.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75  

Hybrid - TSR1 23.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75

Irons - T350 (2023) - 5-48W - True Temper AMT Red 95g-107g

Wedges - Vokey SM9 - 52.08F, 56.10S - True Temper AMT Red 94 

**  GolfPride MCC +4 Midsize Grips  (all woods/irons/wedges)

Putter - 2023 Scotty Cameron Super Select Squareback 2 35" 

**  Superstroke 1.0 Pistol Grip  

Golf Ball - TITLEIST - Prov1 (2023)                                                         

Golf Bags - TITLEIST  - Cart 14 (black), Mid Size Tour (black/white)

Golf Glove - FootJoy (StaSof), Shoes, Apparel and Outerwear        

Rangefinder - Bushnell Pro XE

20 hours ago, Blaine Dye said:

Unfortunately, there's no trick to recoup the distance lost due to cold weather because playing in the cold equates to trying to shoot your ball through a denser material (i.e., colder air = higher barometric pressure = more drag). As Bryson DeChambeau would say: "PHYSICS!".

So layering up and making sure that your body is warm and moves adequately is a good way to get as much performance as you can out of these playing conditions.

There is also this article on MGS' main site that demonstrated the impact of playing with a VERY cold ball and a VERY warm ball.

TL;DR: The warmer ball did not have a significant impact on performance whereas the colder ball induced a significant drop in performance/distance. Consequently, around this time of the year, I make sure not to leave my bag in the trunk of my car overnight before a round and equipment performance doesn't drop significantly! I also know that some people likem to play a slightly lower compression ball when the temperature drops. My guess is that this is done for the same reasons than what was found in the article below.

EDIT: Sorry for the repetition. I hadn't read the posts on page 2 of this thread.

Edited by Shlax
EDIT

D: Capturedcran2023-10-05105502.png.0ebce72d60b9ee4e1161e241fbbd9429.png Rogue ST Max LS 9° / Capturedcran2023-10-05105502.png.d0d357367dfa8603e4c4c28d6264026b.png Rogue White 130 MSI 70X

3W: Capturedcran2023-10-05105502.png.4a59074c9744cc7e092f2c36e18ab3de.png Sim Max 15° / Capturedcran2023-10-05105502.png.6803317b2b3571b718d8c629a4de5c56.png Ventus Blue FW 6S

3H: Capturedcran2023-10-05105502.png.6cb9c9932faadee028fda9a351832472.png TSi3 20° / True Temper Capturedcran2023-10-05105502.png.9a635b7848f15fd4613c0dfb4aad00e0.png Smoke Black RDX 6.0 80HYB

4i-PW: image.png.54cd730cdbf83f1301bb01ca97353cf9.png 01CB / Capturedcran2023-10-05111734.png.2d7f7e831dcd320c5c5d06d9d07a8556.png Tour 130X 2023 tester

52°-56°-60°: Capturedcran2023-10-05105502.png.4a59074c9744cc7e092f2c36e18ab3de.png Milled Grind 2 / True Temper Capturedcran2023-10-05111734.png.76d14504ff83a37b897afbd6c4a1f0e0.png S200

PCapturedcran2023-10-05105502.png.cf5a492ebe80529a929e3f89cb5060c7.png DFX 2-ball

Ball: Capturedcran2023-10-05105502.png.9ff2829469d46ce26b695253efbcd6a1.png Q-Star Tour & Z-Star and Capturedcran2023-10-05105502.png.4a59074c9744cc7e092f2c36e18ab3de.png TP5 & TP5x

Grips: D-3W: image.png.ec39cb9c1e60dc5987a37598700b82cc.png Z-Grip Cord / 3H-PW: Capturedcran2023-10-05105502.png.d618cbfa3b9983eb4bb68d740c266b8a.png Crossline 360 / Wedges: Capturedcran2023-10-05105502.png.d618cbfa3b9983eb4bb68d740c266b8a.png Genesis Crossline Cord

Bag: image.png.45e8d8c11fdf4042fc63eb6c5195276e.png Anyday Ronin 14 2024 tester

Stat tracking: image.png.d3672a19dde52cc71c030458c62e5421.png X5

2 hours ago, cnosil said:

Yes @cnosil that is the study I was referencing. Thank you for sharing. You beat me to it. Ha. @taylorjonasher the closest I could find to get at what you are looking for is this article. https://golf.com/instruction/cold-weather-golf-ball-formula-yardages/

Again not a perfect match rather another data point noting a loss of yardage in cold weather.

Edited by BLD7

Driver: Titleist TSR3 9* | H2 track setting | C4 hosel setting | Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6X

3 wood: Titleist TSi3 15* | T track setting | B4 hosel setting | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7X

5 wood: Titleist TSR2 18* | C4 hosel setting | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 8S

Hybrid: Titleist TSR2 21* | B1 hosel setting | Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9X

Irons: Titleist T100 Black | 5-P | True Temper AMT Tour White X100

Wedges: Vokey SM9 Jet Black | 50.08F, 54.12D, 58.08M | True Temper AMT Tour White S300

Putter: Scotty Cameron Champions Choice Button Back Newport 2.5+

Bushnell Pro XE rangefinder with Slope and "Elements" - factors in atmospheric pressure which combines temperature and elevation into the slope reading... 

Really gives you something to think about when its 80-90F outside and it's telling you a flat shot plays 5-10 yards shorter than usual when often playing around 60-70F. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

I live in Ohio and any time the ground is clear and over 38-40 degrees we have group that plays. Quick tips for playing in colder weather.  Golf cart cover, heater, multiple thin layers so you can swing, and finally 2 ball related tips, softer/lower compression balls like Callaway super soft or the Wilson duo soft and the sneaky one… keep hand warmers in your bag or pocket and rotate your golf ball out every other hole so you are playing with a nice warm one. Certainly helps on the tee shot.🔥ball.

Love & Live 4 Golf