Which would you rather play a drivable 4 or reachable par 5

Javs

• Javs changed the title to Which would you rather play a drivable 4 or reachable par 5

They each have their appeal.  The drivable par 4 is typically a driver (for me) off the tee that I have to hit well.  There is just something awesome about saying you hit a par 4 with your tee shot.   The reachable par 5 requires 2 good shots.  The separation of the par 5 is that it could be anything from short iron to fairway wood for the second shot.  I'm kind of leaning toward the reachable par 5.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :touredgeexotics: XCG7 Beta 15*  w/Fujikura Fuel
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

If I am watching the tour players, ladies or men, I prefer watching a driveable par 4.  It seems every par 5 is reachable for them so it isn't anything special to watch that.  The driveable par 4 is less frequent and I feel they are working the ball with the driver to hit the target.  To see them pull it off shows their ball striking skill and separates even the tour players.  The fade Morikawa hit off the tee a few years ago at the PGA on the 16th at Harding Park  for eagle is what I am thinking about as an example.

On the other hand....

If I am playing then a reachable par 5 is more enjoyable.  It takes two good shots and the second one I am actually aiming for the green with whichever club I am using.  Hitting a 3w or 5w at a target and pulling it off seems more skill than luck for me.

With my current distance, a driveable par 4 means 270 or 280 which for me requires more luck with the correct bounce than skill to fly the ball at the target like 2nd shot on the reachable par 5.  

Our home course has a driveable par 4 and a reachable par 5 back to back.  I get more satisfaction hitting the par 5 than the par 4.

Edited by Shapotomous

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

Like the idea here.

I love the reachable par 5 in two. Takes two great shots and having that eagle putt is so awesome (granted you have an eagle on the drivable par 4 as well), but for me making those two good shots is that yesssssss moment.

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

Mark me down for reachable par 5!

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Reachable par 5 for sure. It is a lot easier for me to be accurate to the green with a mid iron than it would be for a wood into the green.

DRIVER :titleist-small: TSR3 9* Ventus TR Blue TX 70g,

3 WOOD:titleist-small: TSR3 15* Ventus TR Red TX 80g,

5 WOOD :titleist-small: TSR3 18* Ventus Blue VC TX 90g

IRONS:srixon-small: ZX7 MKII (5, 6, & 7), Z Forged (8, 9, &PW)

WEDGES:vokey-small: SM9 50* D Grind, 54* D Grind, & 60* M Grind

PUTTER:taylormade-small: Spider Tour 36", SuperStroke ZENERGY XL TOUR 3.0+ w/50g counterbalance weight

BALL - Maxfli Tour X, :taylormade-small: TP5x, & :bridgestone-small: Tour B X (Testing)

Home Course: Snowflake Municipal 

Lobo.jpg

I lean toward the drivable par 4. Last season, I reached par 5s in 2 a handful of times, and while that is an awesome feeling. I can recall every detail of the par 4 16th hole at Stonelick Hills where I drove the green. Because for me, driving the green on a par 4 happens less frequently, so it makes it a more desirable outcome. 

WITB:

D: :taylormade-small: QI-10 core 9* Ventus Blue TR Velocore 6x

3w: :taylormade-small: Brnr mini driver 13.5 S

3h: :ping-small: G430 19° Tour 2/Stiff

7W: :callaway-small: 21° Rogue ST Max LinQ 7X

5i-6i:  :srixon-small: ZX5 MKII Project X 6.0

7i-PW: :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII Project X 6.0

50°, 54° & 58°:   :ping-small: Glide Forged Pro

P:   :odyssey-small: White Hot Versa DW

Ball:  :bridgestone-small: Tour BX mindset

Bag:  Ghost MGS Anyday 14 way

"And so, we beat on, boats against the current, borne ceaselessly into the past." - Fitzgerald

” The woods are lovely, dark and deep,   

But I have promises to keep,   

And miles to go before I sleep,   

And miles to go before I sleep. - Frost

"That you are here—that life exists and identity,

That the powerful play goes on, and you may contribute a verse." - Whitman

I have a drivable par 4 at my home course that is guarded by trees and 2 bunkers. I have been on it twice and most of the time end up in the bunker and occasionally behind a cluster of trees. 

I like a reachable par 5 in two as I agree with the others, it takes two solid shots for the eagle putt. 

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

Hmm at this point a reachable par 5. And when I am more skilled, drive a 4 👍

WITB

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Qi10 Max

Hybrid: 🐏 FX Max 5h

5i-9i: 🐏 FX Max 10

Wedges: :titleist-small: 48°, 52°, 56°

Putter:  :cleveland-small: HB Soft 14

Ball: :odin:

There is a drivable par 4 at my course... if the wind is favorable.  I have never been able to reach any par 5 in two shots including the executive 9-hole course I left 8 years ago... so that will probably never happen for me.  

Watching the pros, I prefer watching drivable par 4's because they are usually very demanding tee shots.  These days most par 5's are reachable for them with an iron... ho hum!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

My own round, a reachable par 5.

Captain’s choice tournament, drivable par 4…mainly because I would likely lay up to a good yardage with my own ball, but if one is safely out there, driver all day long!

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Driver

TaylorMade Stealth 3 wood

Titleist U510 Hybrid (3H)

TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Irons

Vokey SM8 Wedges (52/56/60)

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

Reachable par 5 for me as I don't they will make a short enough par 4 to be driveable for me...

TSR1, 9*, Fujikura Ventus Black, 6-S

TSR1, 15*, HZRDUS Black, 5.5 

TSR2, Hybrid, 18*, TPT HYBRID 17/Lo

RBZ Tour4 Hybrid, 21.5*, S 

T-200, (2023), 5-PW,  SteelFiber, i95cw, S 

Vokey Design, 50,54,58, Dynamic Gold S200

Studio Select, Newport 1.5

ELIXR (2022)

Definitely a drivable par 4 for me. My course for league play has several that are reachable with a smashed drive but if it’s errant then you will regret not choosing to lay up. I think driving a par 4 is a harder feat with greater risk/reward to balance than most reachable par 5s. 

Driver:  cobralogo.png.60692cdc05482efd83e68664e010b95f.png Aerojet LS, Ventus Blue Shaft - 6S
4 Wood:  callaway.png.e65d398fb0327017a369499fc6126064.png Rogue ST Max 16.5, Tensei White Shaft - 7S
Utility Iron: mizunopro.png.90cc4fb9895830e28063d9a5be416145.png Fli Hi 3-iron, HAZARDOUS Smoke Black Shaft - S
Irons:  mizuno.png.f0e7b21135cb6273b3c1430866904467.png JPX 921 Tour 4-P, Project X Shafts - Stiff 125g
Wedges: cleveland.png.f21f4d2361520fdf1bbd9d515a2f11e6.png 52º, 56º, 60º
Putter:  odyssey.png.58c727e37eb7efda62bce4f7b8881bd9.png Ai-One 7 T CH, 34"
Preferred Ball: srixon.png.f177578dda27a20ef80a0a8b1ae96e3b.png Z-Star Diamond
Pushcart: bagboy.jpg.0dda53b5175958e1b5686f22b90af744.jpg Nitron
Rangefinder: bushnell.jpg.c51debd06066fa243dea7f14d69a8dba.jpg Tour V5 Shift

Tough choice. I have more spectacular shot memories for par 5s, hitting a fairway wood close to the pin or in (one albatross when I was 18). But last year I did drive a couple of par 4 greens and that was very cool to do and less expected.

With modern clubs and where my game is, I feel reaching greens in 2 on par 5s is more common. Driveable par 4s around here usually mean threading your way between bunkers or having to shape shots/ hitting over trees. So my vote goes for driveable par 4.

2024 WITB:

:ping-small: G430 LST 9* (set at 10*) w. Mitsubishi Kai'Li White 60X

:titleist-small:TSR2 15* w. Mitsubishi Tensei White 75X

:taylormade-small:Stealth+ 3H (@18.5* flat) w. :projectx: Hzrdus Smoke RDX Red 80/6.5

:callaway-small:Rogue ST Max 21* 7-wood w. Mitsubishi Tensei Blue stiff/ or/ :taylormade-small:Stealth2+ 4H (@22* flat) w.Mitsubishi Kai'Li White 80X

:taylormade-small: 5i-9i: '19 P790; P- '23 P7MC w. :kbs: Tour C-Taper Lite 115X

:taylormade-small: 50/09 MG3; 56/12 MG3TW

:vokey-small:SM9 60/04L

Putter- :odyssey-small: Toulon Design Memphis, 2019 model [Backup: Sik DW C 2.0]

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5x/ TP5xPix -or- :callaway-small: Chrome Tour [see ball test link below] (also testing :bridgestone-small: Tour BX Mindset)

Other: :Arccos:. Gogogo Sport V-Pro rangefinder. :taylormade-small: Select Plus stand bag. :BagBoy: Nitron push cart.

6 hours ago, cnosil said:

They each have their appeal.  The drivable par 4 is typically a driver (for me) off the tee that I have to hit well.  There is just something awesome about saying you hit a par 4 with your tee shot.   The reachable par 5 requires 2 good shots.  The separation of the par 5 is that it could be anything from short iron to fairway wood for the second shot.  I'm kind of leaning toward the reachable par 5.  

I’m with you, in that both the drivable par 4 and reachable par 5 holes have their distinct appeal.  At age 74 (75 in two months), I rarely encounter either one of these types of golf holes, although I did encounter both a near-drivable par 4 and an almost-reachable par 5 in my tour event on Thursday.

The fact that I played in a fairly strong wind, which was helping somewhat on a 490-yard par 5 (the card said 502 yards from our tees) meant that my drive in the center-right of the fairway left me a little more than 230 yards from the center of the green. I hit a 5 hybrid for my second shot and easily cleared the cross bunkers that were 35-40 yards short of the green, leaving me a very short chip shot onto the green. We won’t discuss what happened next, but I walked off the green with a par.

The potentially-drivable par 4 was quite a different story, however. Our tees had the hole playing 283 yards, and it’s a near-90 degree dogleg right with huge mounds and three nasty fairway bunkers plus a waste area guarding the dogleg. The hole plays slightly downhill for the first 200 yards, then sharply uphill for the last 80-85. In addition, there are two evil pot bunkers guarding the front and left-front of the green, which is slightly elevated. One of those pot bunkers was full of water, as was the first 185-190 yards of the fairway beginning just in front of the tee box. I had played the hole a handful of times over the last 5 or 6 years, and my normal way of playing it is to hit a hybrid straight ahead off the tee, leaving a 85-100 yard uphill approach to the two-tier elevated green.

Because my Garmin GPS was telling me that it was about 245 yards to the front of the green, if I properly cut the corner with a high tee shot that would get up over the dunes, bunkers, trees and waste area that guarded the corner, I decided to “go for it” on that short par 4 on Thursday. My reasoning was that my normal landing area would be extremely soggy (it had rained more than 3” over the prior two days) and anything that I hit with a hybrid would probably plug at the bottom of the valley in the middle of the dogleg. My hope was actually to leave that tee shot short of the two pot bunkers, leaving a short uphill pitch to the pin. When we reached my tee shot, it was past the pot bunkers and only three paces short of the front of the green with a straightforward uphill pitch (or chip) to the hole. I hit my 56* wedge to inside 2 feet, leaving an easy tap-in birdie.

I guess this week my preference was the “drivable” par 4 hole, even though that particular hole was full of danger if I had even mis-hit the tee shot ever so slightly.

I've attached a photo of the short "drivable" par 4 hole looking down the fairway from the tee box (that big sand pit in the center of the fairway, plus most of the fairway area beyond it was full of water on Thursday).  The bunkers at the top of the hill are the ones that I carried with my tee shot.

McCullough's Hole 15 from teh tee box.jpg

Edited by funkyjudge

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - Callaway Paradym 3HL, Newton Motion Fairway shaft, 4-Dot

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Sub 70 849, ProForce Black 80-S

Irons - Callaway Paradym, HZRDUS Silver Gen 4, S-flex

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - (currently in flux, but usually an Evnroll 8V

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023)

Bags - Ghost Golf Maverick Black Ops

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

Love all the answers so far! This question is very game specific. For me I expect to hit most of the par 5’s here or be very close. There are a few that I can miss it slightly and still possibly get there. The drivable par 4 is the more challenging shot. For the three courses here (depending on the tees we are playing) there are usually at least one chance each round. Some of them require a bomb off the tee. However, others require pin point accuracy. At the end of the day, hitting the par 4 in 1 is a bigger accomplishment for me. 

Play like a champion today!

We have both at my club, although the “drive-able par 4” is not really in play for me anymore. On one hole in particular the green is small and water short and right and long is dead. If you miss left you half a pitch over a grass bunker to down hill green. I suspect that at most well designed courses it is the same. The risk of going for it normally out weighs the rewards, but under some circumstances it is worth it. 

I would say I prefer the reachable par 5’s. Although statistically on our shortest par 5 it doesn’t benefit me to go for it in 2. My forte is wedges and getting up and down. With OB right and long, bunkers short and left, I have far more birdies and even eagles from pitching in by laying up to my preferred distance than getting on in 2 and making the putt. Since I know I am not going for it anyway, I can take a “placement swing“ with driver or even less club..This takes the OB right on the dog leg right completely out of play. I have far more bogies or worse than made eagle putts, so why do it. 

There are other Par 5’s that are reachable that are not a penal for missing the green and I love those, even if I don’t have many eagles on them. I still have birdie opportunities. It’s just that some holes have so much trouble around them that if you miss the green you have to make a great shot to just get it on the green vs getting it near or in the hole. 

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 15°  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:mizuno-small: ST190 18° on Graphite Design AD DJ 7S 

:ping-small: G425 22°  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Yes!  My answer is YES! 😆 

I have only eagled once, and have blown too many eagle chances to count. But something about that opportunity creates excitement or havoc in my head!

I have only driven a par 4, 1 time! (I rolled it on the green anyways) 370 yards, blind tee shot over a hill. Low driver shot, caught the down slope just right and it rolled onto the green.  Only to 3 putt... jeeesh.

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

Both are fun. We have a tournament in July. A Red, White, and Blue 2 man scramble. 6 from each colored sets of tees. This turns all the Par 5’s into reachable and many of the par 4’s to driveable. On one hand, it is just an exercise in course management choosing which give the best chance of success. On the other, in practice there didn’t seem to be a significant number of eagles from all these driveable holes. 

Which brings up another issue. Bryson DeChambeau is an advocate of occasionally playing the front most tees in order to train yourself to shoot lower scores. I actually was considering doing this last Wednesday but playing with only 4 iron and below. Not to get used to shooting lower scores but because I had new irons to hit. I probably would have hit other clubs on those that were driveable, but while I didn’t expect anyone else to show up, there were 7 more players that braved the 40 mph winds so I played normal tees amd normal bets. I certainly didn’t get any training on shooting lower scores. Also one of the par 3’s may not have driveable in that wind. 

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 15°  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:mizuno-small: ST190 18° on Graphite Design AD DJ 7S 

:ping-small: G425 22°  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

8 minutes ago, Another Steve said:

Reachable par 5 for the shot at that elusive albatross!

Would you rather have a 2 on the par 5 or a 1 on the drivable par 4? I have had the 2 on the par 5. So, I am chasing the 1 on a par 4!

Edited by Javs

2 minutes ago, Javs said:

Would you rather have a 2 on the par 5 or a 1 on the drivable par 4? I have had the 2 on the par 5. So, I am chasing the 1 on a par 4!

I have already had an albatross on a par 5 (holed out with 3-wood from just over 250 yards). I’ve been close to a 1 on a par 4 (hit flagsticks twice, but neither shot went in the hole), so right now I would rather have an albatross on a par 4. However, another albatross on a par 5 would also be very nice!

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - Callaway Paradym 3HL, Newton Motion Fairway shaft, 4-Dot

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Sub 70 849, ProForce Black 80-S

Irons - Callaway Paradym, HZRDUS Silver Gen 4, S-flex

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - (currently in flux, but usually an Evnroll 8V

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023)

Bags - Ghost Golf Maverick Black Ops

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

9 minutes ago, funkyjudge said:

I have already had an albatross on a par 5 (holed out with 3-wood from just over 250 yards). I’ve been close to a 1 on a par 4 (hit flagsticks twice, but neither shot went in the hole), so right now I would rather have an albatross on a par 4. However, another albatross on a par 5 would also be very nice!

We are in the same boat!

41 minutes ago, buckpillar said:

Definitely PAR 5 - arrive in 2 and hope you don't 3 putt for par

Hey, I resemble that remark! 😄 

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

42 minutes ago, Javs said:

I witnessed a 2 on a par 5, but had a lot of Eagles

Jeff "PUTSO" Pillar

[email protected]

If you get a 2 on a par 4. Is it an eagle or albatross?