Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Combo sets

revkev

I've been a fan of combo sets for a long time and actually bagged a combo set from Nicklaus golf for five or six years - I played very good golf with those irons.

I know that I'm not the only golfer who is a moderate speed lower handicapper who benefits from a wider platform in my mid irons and hybrids for mid irons.

The problem is that there doesn't seem to be anything's big out there that transitions smoothly from wedge to short iron to mid iron. In fact if anything I would complain that GI clubs look the worst in the short irons. They really don't look all that bad at 6 or 7 but at PW it's a freak show.

Why is that? Is there anything out there that might offer a smooth transition?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

drop the PW from the set and carry 4 wedges?

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

I've been a fan of combo sets for a long time and actually bagged a combo set from Nicklaus golf for five or six years - I played very good golf with those irons.

I know that I'm not the only golfer who is a moderate speed lower handicapper who benefits from a wider platform in my mid irons and hybrids for mid irons.

The problem is that there doesn't seem to be anything's big out there that transitions smoothly from wedge to short iron to mid iron. In fact if anything I would complain that GI clubs look the worst in the short irons. They really don't look all that bad at 6 or 7 but at PW it's a freak show.

This goes back to the old Pings where the sand wedge had the same huge offset as the 1-iron.

Up until then, sand wedges were often ON-set.

I don't understand why the packaged mixed set is necessary. 

The major OEM clubs are all available for sale individually, not just in sets.

Putting together your own mixed set should work out better that buying what somebody else put together.

You can decide what a smooth transition looks like.

Match the shafts and grips when you order the clubs individually and that should do it..

Matching swingweights gets tricky.

Frankly, I think that as technology improved, cosmetics got correspondingly worse..

The stamping part of that is my biggest personal issue.

I don't like the manufacturer choosing the club number / loft correlation.

Since there are no standards anymore, I want to choose that correlation myself. 

The majority of MGS members don't seem to care, but I cared a lot.

Peer pressure never moves my opinions, The wrong numbers put an annoying distraction in my head

because I played too long with the correct correlations.

drop the PW from the set and carry 4 wedges?

I've considered that although in my case it would be 5 wedges.

I have SCORs at 44,48,52,56,60. Of course then I have the visual at 9 iron but it doesn't seem as bad there -

This is much more of a vent than anything else - I can live with what I have - I played two years with a driver that I despised and shot numerous sub par rounds with thing - what I didn't despise were the results so it stayed in the bag.

I should bring the SCOR 44, G30 PW and 9 iron to the short course a couple of times and experiment with them.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

AP2/3 is a good combo

MP18 was designed to be able to make any type of combo between the sets

Z7x5/5x5 makes a good combo

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Try the Cobra King F8's. Been playing them all summer 5H, 6-LW Irons with 3 different makeups(Full Hollow 6,7; Cavity Back 8-PW; Specialty Wedge LW/SW/LW). For details of their performance check out the Cobra Connect Challenge thread......

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Cobra Connect Bag: Cobra F8 Driver(10.5*) 3-4W(14.5*) & 5-6W(18.5*)w/Mitsubishi Tensei ck Blue Regular; Cobra F8 3 Hybrid, 5 Hybrid & 6-PW, Gw(49*) SW(54*) LW(58*) all w/UST Mamiya Recoil 460 ES regular shafts. Lamkin Cobra Connect grips with Arccoss tracking sensors. Putter: Evnroll ER6 33”. Bag: Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag(Peacoat/Silver).

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I have no intent to purchase new irons at this point.

I over reached with this thread - I should simply have asked why is it that GI mid irons have a reasonable look to them while the short irons are so ugly?  That was true even when I gamed Mizuno 825 pros - those short irons look like trowels.  What is it about the short iron technology for those type clubs that requires them to look so ugly?

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

The Cobra F8 PW/LW/SW/LW are 45/49/54/58 are very nice looking.

Also The new Ben Hogan's.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Cobra Connect Bag: Cobra F8 Driver(10.5*) 3-4W(14.5*) & 5-6W(18.5*)w/Mitsubishi Tensei ck Blue Regular; Cobra F8 3 Hybrid, 5 Hybrid & 6-PW, Gw(49*) SW(54*) LW(58*) all w/UST Mamiya Recoil 460 ES regular shafts. Lamkin Cobra Connect grips with Arccoss tracking sensors. Putter: Evnroll ER6 33”. Bag: Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag(Peacoat/Silver).

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I thought that Cleveland did a great job with the 588 line a few years back. You had the Altitudes for long irons, MT hollow body with forged faces for mid irons, and then the TT player's distance for short irons/wedges. 

All the lines had the same lofts so you could mix & match easily. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

The current Bridgestone Japan model X-Blade is the perfect combo set. 3-7 half cavity, 8-PW MB. Can't wait till they hit the US market. You could even sprinkle in the X-CB at the top if you wanted.

The more and more I think about it, I will be leaning towards a phrakenPhil bag.

A few blades. A few cb's. A GI 4 iron. Driving iron. Lotsa wedges....

Makes sense.

IMG_4018.JPG

IMG_4019.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

The MP-18 line is designed to blend. Blade > SC > MMC > MMC FliHi. I have blades from PW-8, SC from 7-4 but I'm updating it likely to SC 7-6, MMC 5 and MMC FliHi in the 4. Just to add that added forgiveness and help with launch to the higher end of the bag. Great irons.

And the JPX 919 line is a more forgiving and modern line. Tour > Forged > Hot Metal

Depending on your ball striking, you could blend all three, the Tour from like PW-8, Forged 7-6, and Hot Metal 5-4 would probably be a good overall blend. You can just have the lofts bent to provide even gaps. The JPX line will look the most different at address compared to MP-18 with the top line and width of the soles increasing the more forgiving you go.

Both Mizuno lines feel awesome. Free custom shafts and grips. I'd get fitted. Great irons. Blended set's make so much sense.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:taylormade-small: M1 2017 10.5°  (Project X HZRDUS T1100 6.5 75g, Golf Pride CP2)
:taylormade-small: M2 2017 3W 15° (Project X HZRDUS Black 6.5 75g, Golf Pride CP2)

default_cobra-small.jpeg.2311ad26bb4cabebf0f635266eee64f0.jpeg King Tec 21° dialed to 20° (Mitsubishi MMT 80x)
:mizuno-small: Pro 223 PW-6, 225 5-4 (Project X LZ 6.5 125g, Golf Pride CP2)
:titelist-small: Vokey SM6 52° F-grind,  56° M-grind, 60° L-Grind
:taylormade-small: TP Black Copper Juno

The Srixons also are meant to blend. Another fine line. I feel like they are a sharp set. 985 > 785 > 585

The 585s I think would be more forgiving than the MP-18 MMC, but not as forgiving as the Hot Metal. That is just a guess by what I've experienced with them. The 575s were very popular and very good performance. The looks of the MP-18 line won me over. Go with what you also love the look of and that you're confident in.

You could look at a used blended set of of the last year's line for cheaper even. I've started to see blended MP-18 sets surface now too.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:taylormade-small: M1 2017 10.5°  (Project X HZRDUS T1100 6.5 75g, Golf Pride CP2)
:taylormade-small: M2 2017 3W 15° (Project X HZRDUS Black 6.5 75g, Golf Pride CP2)

default_cobra-small.jpeg.2311ad26bb4cabebf0f635266eee64f0.jpeg King Tec 21° dialed to 20° (Mitsubishi MMT 80x)
:mizuno-small: Pro 223 PW-6, 225 5-4 (Project X LZ 6.5 125g, Golf Pride CP2)
:titelist-small: Vokey SM6 52° F-grind,  56° M-grind, 60° L-Grind
:taylormade-small: TP Black Copper Juno

This goes back to the old Pings where the sand wedge had the same huge offset as the 1-iron.

Up until then, sand wedges were often ON-set.

I don't understand why the packaged mixed set is necessary.

The major OEM clubs are all available for sale individually, not just in sets.

Putting together your own mixed set should work out better that buying what somebody else put together.

You can decide what a smooth transition looks like.

Match the shafts and grips when you order the clubs individually and that should do it..

Matching swingweights gets tricky.

Frankly, I think that as technology improved, cosmetics got correspondingly worse..

The stamping part of that is my biggest personal issue.

I don't like the manufacturer choosing the club number / loft correlation.

Since there are no standards anymore, I want to choose that correlation myself.

The majority of MGS members don't seem to care, but I cared a lot.

Peer pressure never moves my opinions, The wrong numbers put an annoying distraction in my head

because I played too long with the correct correlations.

That's a very good point about being able to order individual clubs in any line

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

• 4 months later...

This is a fun topic and something I'm about to jump into and tryout. I just replaced my 60 and 56 with new ping glide 2.0 wedges. I dropped the 60 because I'm not confident in hitting soft shot around the greens and the grind bounce was too low for my skills.  So I went with the 56/SS and 52/SS. So far these are working out great and the 52 goes as far as my set U wedge. 

But as RevKev points out going from the glide to the G wedge just looks odd. I want to replace the W with the gilde 46/SS. 

I just picked up used Ping i200's in the 9 and 8 to help with the blend to GI longer irons. 7,6,5 are still the G's.

All the shafts will be a bit different from glide to i200 to the G's but the flexes should match up pretty similar. I was fitted for the glides but I need to compare the flights of my G irons W, 9, and 8 to my new to me glide and i200 replacements.

Any thing I should watch out for while I try this set out? A range day is in order when the i200s arrive. 

Krank Formula X Veylix Alpina 573 45" 9*

:755178188_TourEdge:CBX 3 Wood Matrix HD Radix S VIII 43" 15*

Krank Formula X 5 Wood Matrix HD Radix S VIII 42" 18*

Wishon Golf 775HS 3H Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid X-Flex  39.75" 21*

Wishon Golf 585HI 3DI  same shaft as irons 38.25" 21*

Wishon Golf 575 MMC Forged 5-A N.S.Pro Modus 3 Tour 120X

Wishon Golf Micro-Groove HM S, L same shaft as irons 

:EVNROLL: ER7B Gravity Grip 35"

Progressive sets are the future. Look at the number of tour players that have backed off playing blades from 2i down. Many have started adding more cavity back irons for their longer irons. The main issue I have noticed with doing this if you aren’t paying attention to detail is the loft gaps. I had to have several irons bent but now there are 4 degree gaps from my 2i down to my 58 degree wedge. Couldn’t get into the s7 wedges from mizuno.

In 10 years iron sets are going to be rare. Instead, You’ll buy a set of wedges, or “Scoring Iron Set” if you will; 44*, 48*, 52*, 56*, 60*, 64*.

From Driver to 40* will be all individual purchases; fairway woods, hybrid, driving irons, single irons, etc.

Everyone wants to hit driver-wedge so OEM’s might as well focus on those clubs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

In 10 years iron sets are going to be rare. Instead, You’ll buy a set of wedges, or “Scoring Iron Set” if you will; 44*, 48*, 52*, 56*, 60*, 64*.

From Driver to 40* will be all individual purchases; fairway woods, hybrid, driving irons, single irons, etc.

So you’re saying we will be going back in time. I love it.

50 minutes ago, deejaid said:

I mostly agree.  I can see manufacturers paying more attention to the segment of the golfing population that is trying to find what works in each individual slot in the bag.

I do think there will always be a relatively substantial call for a complete set, however.  I expect there will continue to be a pretty big proportion who aren't going to put the time, energy or thought into piecing a set together.  They'll still want to go in and buy an iron set, matching 1,3,5 and a putter.

I always try to remember that I'm not good enough to get mad!

My Bag:

:ping-small:  G400 Max

:ping-small:  G30 3W

:cobra-small: King S9-1 5W

:taylormade-small: Aeroburner 3 Rescue/Hybrid

:ping-small: G400  5-UW

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52* and 56*

:rife-putters-1: 2Bar Mallet

:ping-small: Traverse II Cart Bag

10 hours ago, Shankster said:

Exactly what he is saying--- The real old timers as in back in Bobby Jones days put them together a set. Lots of times it was as to when they could afford another club. But back in those days it may be different brands etc. Basically you look at guys like me I am not really brand loyal (except for Macgregor and Hogan) but look at my signature which is sorta tame now compared to years past. I do not brand hate over marketing cycles business practices etc. I will play what works for me.

Now on the 4 and 5 wedge thing I think I did carry 4 wedges for a while. A lot of it is when you learned to play the game. Us old schoolers we grew up with only 2 wedge options a PW of 47* to 51* and a SW usually 55* to 56* We learned to manufacture shots. For me carrying 4 wedges left me with too many decisions and doubts. I am basically an instinct player. I select my wedge and get over the shot and let my mind hopefully tell my body what to do. Basically my 56* is my workhorse wedge. I also play a lot of old school bump and runs around the green with a 7 iron and trust me when I can get that putter in my hand it is there. I also do a lot of belly wedge shots around the green. But it is really what suits your game as to how many wedges you carry or what you do on the top end lofts too. Yes absolutely one has to tailor their equipment to their needs no matter the age ,brand or type ( ie: blades CBs or shovels) LOL back in the day I carried Spalding Elite blade 5 thru PW my 1 3 4 irons were Ping Eye2. If you look at my signature you will see basically I carry only 12 clubs that leaves my options open. Today it is supposed to be cold and windy I may sneak that old Eye2 1 iron in 

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

How about 80 years? The 1940 Wilson catalog and their “Scoring Zone” Clubs.

They even called them pitching irons.

IMG_0694.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WITB:

Rife Legend Z Putter

Where’d you find that? I’d like to have something like that to hang in my office to go with my leather bound books.

It’s in the Kaplan Wilson Golf book. There is a Macgregor, a Wilson, and an H&B book compiled by Jim Kaplan showing many of the old brochures and catalogs.

WITB:

Rife Legend Z Putter

Exactly what he is saying--- The real old timers as in back in Bobby Jones days put them together a set. Lots of times it was as to when they could afford another club. But back in those days it may be different brands etc. Basically you look at guys like me I am not really brand loyal (except for Macgregor and Hogan) but look at my signature which is sorta tame now compared to years past. I do not brand hate over marketing cycles business practices etc. I will play what works for me.
Now on the 4 and 5 wedge thing I think I did carry 4 wedges for a while. A lot of it is when you learned to play the game. Us old schoolers we grew up with only 2 wedge options a PW of 47* to 51* and a SW usually 55* to 56* We learned to manufacture shots. For me carrying 4 wedges left me with too many decisions and doubts. I am basically an instinct player. I select my wedge and get over the shot and let my mind hopefully tell my body what to do. Basically my 56* is my workhorse wedge. I also play a lot of old school bump and runs around the green with a 7 iron and trust me when I can get that putter in my hand it is there. I also do a lot of belly wedge shots around the green. But it is really what suits your game as to how many wedges you carry or what you do on the top end lofts too. Yes absolutely one has to tailor their equipment to their needs no matter the age ,brand or type ( ie: blades CBs or shovels) LOL back in the day I carried Spalding Elite blade 5 thru PW my 1 3 4 irons were Ping Eye2. If you look at my signature you will see basically I carry only 12 clubs that leaves my options open. Today it is supposed to be cold and windy I may sneak that old Eye2 1 iron in 

Too many wedges, it’s why I gave up on the Ft. Worths. It was an interesting idea, having the wedges match the irons and continue the 4* increments all the way through the set but it caused too much indecision for me sound the greens.

I’m back to a 51-52* Pitching or Gap wedge depending on the set and my Hogan Sand Iron. Much more comfortable and getting dialed in with more practice with fewer clubs.

WITB:

Rife Legend Z Putter

This post resonates with me. My first set was driver, 3 wood, 3,5,7,9 putter. I added a utility wedge along the way and played with that set until I graduated from college - I was breaking 80 regularly with it at that point.

Having written that it’s easier for me to have more wedges. I chip with either the 52 or 8 iron and pitch and hit sand shots with the 60.

Back to the blended set whether by brand or within the same brand it just makes sense for many players.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

7 hours ago, BIG STU said:

Basically my 56* is my workhorse wedge.

Same here Stu. I do carry 4 wedges but the 56 is my most versatile wedge by far. I play more shots from a variety of lies and situations with this club than any of the other 3 wedges.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Archived