GolfSpy Barbajo

FORUM MEMBER REVIEWS! Ben Hogan Ft. Worth 15 Irons/TK15 Wedges

My chipping runs with my 8 iron (35*), SCOR 50*, 54* of 57*.

I mostly chip with the 50 or 54, depemding wheter I am running or not.  I use the 57* for shots over bunkers or full shots from 60 yards out.

At this point I would revise that strategy and forget about any run outs. :)

• Like 1

At this point I would revise that strategy and forget about any run outs. :)

There are most definitely no runouts......  You gotta throw everything to the pin.....and it will be that way for several weeks until the Sunshine can dry us out.

Hoping that the next 10 days will switch the weather pattern back to rainy, mostly in the afternoon.

• Like 2

Rev,

Yes I was fit by my instructor for the i25's. Went through the full process and really felt good going into my life with those irons. Comparatively speaking though, the Hogans are like night and day to the Pings. Such a better trajectory, more workable, more distance, similar (and at this point seemingly better) forgiveness. The list goes on.

I'm thrilled! And thank you for the well wishes. I just need to get these scores even lower! Haha. And so it goes!

• Like 2

If only Hogan made drivers Shawn. :)

I was scheduled for a lesson today and shocked when my teacher called to say we were on.  (He's actually leased some space at an indoor golf center for the duration of this weather - at least two more days to get stuff back to usable) 

I'm bringing this up here because we got into irons, specifically my irons and how much I hate them.  I also brought a Rocket Bladz with the Aerotech shaft in it.  We were on a LM so we did some comparisons iron for iron and also 5 iron to 5 hybrid here's what we discovered:

There's very little difference between the Wilsons and the Rocket Bladz with a slight edge to the Wilsons.  In the end with Irons he actually made me feel quite good by saying, "You hit lots of shots on the center of the club face, more than any of my students except Alyssa ((she's the number one ranked Junior player in Florida) you can use whatever you want even a blade, why not go with a players club and jack the lofts there?"  So he'd be in favor of me replacing 9-6 iron with Hogans or something anything more playerish.

Now the 5 hybrid vs. the 5 iron was very revealing.  I do everything better with the 5 hybrid than the 5 iron except hit a fade - who cares, I hit about 2 fades a season with any club, only because I absolutely have to in order to escape trouble - if I have to curve it left to right with the hybrid I will, trust me - I can't speak to the quality of the shot but it will curve left to right. :) 

Wilsons in, 5 hybrid in, saving under way to pick up a 40, 36, 32, 28 Hogan per my instructor. 

• Like 2

Im thrilled to hear it Rev! Man do I wish I had the striking pattern that you do. Even without that, I'm still gaming and loving these irons without any feelings of loss of forgiveness. I couldn't be happier with the clubs, and am very excited to hear what you have to say.

The other thing that I'm curious to finally hear some feedback from is how the HoganFit/over the phone fitting process goes for someone else!

It will be a month or so - but I will let you know - the big thing will be matching to the SCOR shaft.

• Like 1

It will be a month or so - but I will let you know - the big thing will be matching to the SCOR shaft.

Take a look at the Recoil shaft.  Not sure how well they match up but they are a nice smooth shaft for me...and I have never even tried to play graphite in my irons.  Now I have a bag that has graphite in every club in the bag except my putter.

Also interesting on the hybrid versus 5 iron.  I carried two hybrids for years and a five iron on down since I just don't hit long irons well at all.  Last year I went with a 3 and 4 iron in the Adams DHYs and this year I just went with one long iron in a Tour Edge Cbh Pro 3 iron with a Fuji Fuel.  I hit the Tour Edge better than any long iron or hybrid that I have ever owned and it is great off the tee, fairway or rough.  Hit it into 18 yesterday from the drop area (tried to hit a fade off the tee and drove it into the middle of the lake) to six inches to save par.....from 237 yards.

• Like 2

Rev,

Did your instructor give you his reasoning as to why he wants you to use more of a player's type iron from 6-9? Just curious on what his thoughts are on it.

• Like 1

JBill,

I think because he's gaming a 5 hybrid in place of the 5 iron and has the Scor up to his "8" iron. So those are his openings! If I'm not mistaken.

Been out of the lop for a while - me, my Hogans and three friends took golf trip.  Since being back I saw that Hogan had offered to check out any of our clubs if we wanted them to. 

I reached out, not because of lofts, but to see if they have any thoughts on the gap I have been dealing with.  While I don't have anything conclusive yet on that issue, there has been a phone call and several emails back and forth exchanging ideas and information.  I got asked for some new comparative data from my launch monitor and I had a really crappy day yesterday so I had no real new info to share.

I hope to have more info when we do follow-ups.  What I can say for now is that these folks are fanatical about golf and golf equipment and it shows.

• Like 1

I have what I feel is a pretty amazing experience to share with you guys.

So something that I do pretty frequently in my personal life, is to play 9 holes with my girlfriend. She is a relatively new golfer and I enjoy showing her how to do things. It gives us something to do together outside that we enjoy, and both being competitive people it's a really nice challenge for both of us. I'm the type of person though that could spend everyday all day on the golf course if I could financially and physically afford it. 

This evening her and I went to my local course where I'm a member and played the back nine. I wasn't striking the ball very well at all the whole evening, given that I didn't warm up and have been dealing with a sore back and shoulder, I wasn't expecting much out of the 9 anyway. But I like to use these times as a nice way to get some practice reps in. Getting distances down, working on shot shapes, 3/4 swings, choking down. All the fun stuff. 

It's not at all uncommon for me to drop 2 or 3 sometimes even 4 extra golf balls on a hole and hit approach shots, chips and putts with them. I find it gives me invaluable experience for when I go out to play a full round.

Tonight was nothing different. With not striking it as well as I would like, I was still managing to get around the course. We came to the 17th hole, which is a par 3 that plays around 140 yards. This evening the wind was into and off the left, and the hole was playing about a club longer than usual. The hole is laid out like this. There is a pond that sits directly in between the tee box and the green, making the hole a forced carry to the front of the green. There is woods long and left of the hole, a bunker off the right and a pond short and to the right of that bunker. Basically you have to hit it on or very close to the green or you're out of luck.

I'm on the tee box, go through my routine, take my swing, and felt like I had just surely hit a ball squarely into the middle of the pond. I've seen it so many times before. A weak strike turns into a ball landing halfway into the lake or at the very best just short of the wall at the front of the green.

My result was a little different. I'll get to that in a minute. No ace though. Just to clear the air.

As is common for me, especially when I have a poor strike, I ask my girlfriend for another ball and re-tee. I go through my routine, and flushed it. Perfect trajectory. Straight to a baby draw on a line close to the pin and much better feeling to me than the first go.

Here's where things get interesting.

Which ball do you think is my first and which is the second shot?

IMG_1574.jpg

[Disclaimer: I know the picture is kind of washed out. And not that great of quality. I apologize. Lighting was out of my control.]

Pretty crazy, isn't it?

I know it doesn't seem like a big deal. Neither is a tap in birdie. And neither set the world on fire. BUT one felt like a truly horrendous shot. The other felt the way a crisp strike feels. This picture illustrated just HOW forgiving these irons are.

All I could think to myself while I was driving to the hole was "I can't believe I got away with that, with BLADES!" 

Both golf balls had the same total distance within a few yards. The first shot pitched about 3-4 yards short of the second ball and rolled the extra couple of yards to cover the gap. 

Wow. I love these irons more and more with every time I get out to play.

• Like 3

I haven't played mine in 2 weeks. Not because I don't want to, because I've been on night shift. Tonight is my last night for, hopefully, the foreseeable future.

• Like 3

Rookie,

I hope you get to play some golf soon man. Maybe night shift is just your payment for going out and playing some of the best rounds of your life over the next few weeks? Haha.

• Like 1

I doubt it. I had to call in sick today. Went to the doc and was diagnosed with shift work disorder. The last few weeks I've slept about 3 hours a day/night. Last night was my breaking point. I keep a headache all the time. Maybe with what he gave me I can get some sleep finally.

That said I cleaned these earlier because I wanted to take some pics with my new headcovers and noticed that I've got a small pencil lead sized chip on the leading edge of the 63. It's gonna happen. I try to keep my clubs as pristine as possible.but I also play the ball down unless there's a local rule about rolling the ball. It's going to happen and I don't worry about it. Just noticed it today and was like awwwwww maaaaan lol

• Like 2

I doubt it. I had to call in sick today. Went to the doc and was diagnosed with shift work disorder. The last few weeks I've slept about 3 hours a day/night. Last night was my breaking point. I keep a headache all the time. Maybe with what he gave me I can get some sleep finally.

My daughter recently went on the graveyard shift for Apple, it was manadatory that each person works it for six months.......she tried for two months to make it work, but she had the complaints as you reported Rookie.  Headaches, laclk of sleep, etc.  I had no idea that there was such a thing as "shift work disorder".....Hope you get over it Rookie.

Man I've been noticing little chips here and there. Nothing unusual. Just from playing the game we all love. It's not a problem by any stretch, but I felt the same as you. Just a little sense of "oh well, now that's over" like getting the first scratch on a new car...

In other news though, get some sleep man. That schedule sounds brutal.

Man I've been noticing little chips here and there. Nothing unusual. Just from playing the game we all love. It's not a problem by any stretch, but I felt the same as you. Just a little sense of "oh well, now that's over" like getting the first scratch on a new car...

In other news though, get some sleep man. That schedule sounds brutal.

The guy with nice shiny new clubs may clean my clock, but I am always leary of the guy with nicks on them and well worn faces.  Yes, the Ben Hogans are pretty, but they are meant to be played, not hung on the wall to be admired.  Enjoy them guys.

• Like 2

My daughter recently went on the graveyard shift for Apple, it was manadatory that each person works it for six months.......she tried for two months to make it work, but she had the complaints as you reported Rookie. Headaches, laclk of sleep, etc. I had no idea that there was such a thing as "shift work disorder".....Hope you get over it Rookie.

Well I got a full 8 hours sleep last night... Thanks ambien lol

• Like 2

Well I got a full 8 hours sleep last night... Thanks ambien lol

Be careful with ambien. I've seen it do some messed up s***.

• Like 1

When I traveled overseas a lot, we were given Ambien to help sleep for jet lag recovery.  I tried it, but it was similar to most sleeping aids for me.  I always seemed to be sluggish in the morning.  I didn't like it.  On a Dr. visit about 10 years ago, he prescribed Zanaflex (generic is Tizanidine).  It's a muscle relaxer and not habit forming.  I can take one at night and within 10 minutes, I am out like a light.  No morning after effects.  Sometimes I will take another one if I get up in the middle of the night, and I go right back to sleep.  They work great for me, but not for everyone.  My wife takes it, but sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.  She can take the strongest sleeping pill available and still be up for hours.