Would you consider golfers athletes?

I grew up playing basketball in the govt housing areas. Many of the guys I played with were both drunk and high. They were good athletes but under those conditions they did not perform nor were tested to the fullest degree of their athletic ability.

Do you have to be a good athlete to play golf? You don't have to be a good athlete to play any sport but you do have to be a good athlete to play all sports well.

There are some anomalies out there but I would argue that a poor athlete could not put a bag on his back for four rounds over four days while drinking and smoking along the way and play well.

So my point here is if played correctly as intended Golf is absolutely an athletic endeavor. It takes strength, coordination, flexibility, muscular endurance and mental focus. If you are in a cart smoking cigars and taking shots of jack you might be a great athlete but that which most tests your athletic ability has been all but removed from the equation.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We are talking past one another -   People are trying to impose a perception of what an athlete is supposed to be on the matter. That's not the question. If that were the question very few golfer

You don't sweat or bleed as much as in boxing, but without a mouthpiece, you swear a lot more.   I'd consider us athletes, but what the hell do I know?

Hands down yes. Athletes are a balance of physical and mental strength. The difference between an average golfer and a professional is their mental acuity.   Walking 18 with your buddies is a lot d

I'm sorry but by this argument CC Sabbathia wasn't an athlete when he was actually a great one albeit it not in the greatest shape.

Golf is an athletic endeavor, at all levels - obviously some golfers are more athletic than others. It's also true that other sports require different and perhaps greater athletic skills than Golf.

Golfers are athletes even the guy slogging beer staggering up the 18th - what kind of athletes are a better topic for discussion.

By that definition, everyone is an athlete, we just need to determine if they are good, bad, all-around, specialized, etc.

CC Sabbathia was athletically inclined as a pitcher but put him at shortstop he would have been useless. He has specialized athletic ability, just not all-around athletic ability.

I suppose that all golfers are specialized athletes just some are more all-around athletically inclined than others.

• Like 2

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

I would say yes.   Any athletic endeavor requires or mandates one's ability of their brain to control their body.   The fact that I find it difficult at times to control my body because the body will ignore the brain's instructions just means that I am a lousy athlete.

• Like 1

I'm on the fence with this one. IMHO it doesn't require brute force strength hitting a 300 yard shot.It's more technique verus athleticism.

A true athletic sport for me is a physically fit specimen. One who can play multiple activities with their abilities. Ive never met a group of weaker out of shape people than golfers. It's almost like this group tends gravitating towards golf. Maybe the only ‘sport' they can do physically. I've always bitten my tounge when playing amateur golf with others. But boy you all are some weak out of shape people. I've grown up around many athletes. And you golfers just aren't it. Don't get me wrong, golf is a hard hard game . But I'm getting better thru proper technique versus natural athletic ability. This is more a book smart game and maybe why the golfer is more financially focused. Where a true athlete is more about focusing solely on body and their sport.How many times have you ran into a poor sector of a city being golfers. They are out there working their tails off at sports getting them out of that situation.

• Like 1

Keep it in the short stuff

Initial answer yes, followed by it depends:The occasional golfer like the occasional cyclist, tennis player, etc probably not but those that compete yes. You only have to look at DJ's or Lexi's workout program to see that. 

• Like 1

Left Hand orientation

:ping-small: G410 SFT driver 

Cobra King F-9  5 wood
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Snell MTB-X 

2020 Official Tester :SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Yes and no. Most golfers are not athletes, they may be exceptionally gifted, but that doesn't make them athletes. IMO an athlete must be above average in multiple sports. Wether it's golf, baseball, football, or even soccer (sorry soccer fans). ALL PGA players are gifted, that still doesn't make them athletes. I think there's a difference in being great in one sport (gifted) and being able to play/do multiple sports(athlete). Just IMO

• Like 1

CobraConnectChallenge3

I suppose a golfer can be considered an athlete. But when athletes come to mind golf isn't high on my list. Is Dustin Johnson? I guess so. Certainly more than most. Is John Daily? All that most golfers really do is walk (if that) and swing their arms, twist their body, and bend over to retrieve a ball or brush a leaf aside. 

Is a bowler an athlete? What about a Curler? Is everyone that participates in a sport an athlete? I suppose it all depends. I don't think I qualify technically. 

• Like 2

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I'm on the fence with this one. IMHO it doesn't require brute force strength hitting a 300 yard shot.It's more technique verus athleticism.

A true athletic sport for me is a physically fit specimen. One who can play multiple activities with their abilities. Ive never met a group of weaker out of shape people than golfers. It's almost like this group tends gravitating towards golf. Maybe the only ‘sport' they can do physically. I've always bitten my tounge when playing amateur golf with others. But boy you all are some weak out of shape people. I've grown up around many athletes. And you golfers just aren't it. Don't get me wrong, golf is a hard hard game . But I'm getting better thru proper technique versus natural athletic ability. This is more a book smart game and maybe why the golfer is more financially focused. Where a true athlete is more about focusing solely on body and their sport.How many times have you ran into a poor sector of a city being golfers. They are out there working their tails off at sports getting them out of that situation.

Ed, I can see how you would draw this conclusion.The video you recorded for me helping develop a work out routine (which i so appreciated ). Which was of you working out was beyond impressive.Your a true monster of muscle and would intimidate many at my golf facility.Your multi sport oriented thru your life where many of us are not.Remember this is a golf forum and many work at this just like an athlete in another sport would.In my opinion your still new too this game.Your outlook of this being a non athletic sport will change when you play more.Just by first hand perspective your arms and body are way overly developed for golf.Its more a flexibility sport vs a Mr Olympia build which you have.You will find that some of the Better AMs you play with have crazy flexibility.Instead of a mass muscle look
  • Like 1

Keep it in the short stuff

Golf is a sport.

Just because everyone that plays golf isn't a great all around athlete doesn't lessen golf as a sport.

I've seen plenty of out of shape people playing basketball and softball.

• Like 1

In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 Stand Bag

:ping-small: G410 LST 9* VA Nemesys 65X
:ping-small: G410 LST 14.5* Tour AD DI 7X
:titelist-small: 818 H2 20* Tour AD DI 85X
:mizuno-small: MP20 HMB 4 Tour AD 95X
:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Tour 5-PW Oban CT 115 X(-)
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50F - 54S - 59D
:EVNROLL: ER1v
:titelist-small: ProV1

Probably the best response. Most amateurs playing golf regularly are not athletes by any stretch - they kid themselves by calling themselves athletes...

Another incredible subject to discuss. Let's go back to the beginning and start with the definition of athlete per Webster's.

1 : a person who is trained or skilled in exercises, sports, or games requiring physical strength, agility, or stamina.

One could argue to play golf at the highest level an individual utilizes all the skills required to satisfy the book definition of athlete. Keep in mind the definition utilizes the conjunction “or” and not “and” so to fully satisfy the requirements of the definition to be defined as an athlete you must possess at least one and not all of the aforementioned attributes.

There is no denying that some athletes are more athletic than others. There is also no denying that some sports require greater or different athletic ability than other sports as do some positions within a specific sport require greater or different athletic ability than other positions.

The other two operative words in the definition are “trained or skilled”. If I am having a cookout and the boys and I decide to play a little three on three in the back yard we are participating in an athletic event but our shear participation alone does not make us athletes. It is the demonstration of skill, physical strength, agility, or stamina that make the athlete.

To play golf you do not have to be a good athlete. To play golf well you do have to be a good athlete. Michael Jordan is without question one of the greatest athletes the world has ever known. He has access to the best golf equipment and has received lessons from world renown golf instructors yet he is still just a very average Golfer. In contrast Tony Romo who by definition (speed, strength, agility) is not a better athlete than Michael Jordan yet he is a much superior golfer. I am sure most of you have seen Charles Barkley (hall of fame athlete) attempt to swing a golf club. If you have not you should because it is a treat.

So are all golfers athletes? No. However, I am and always have been a good athlete. I played college football and basketball. I am now a better than average (not much) golfer. I believe golf has been the most difficult of all the sports I've played to master and definitely the most unforgiving. Golf takes great skill, strength, coordination and stamina to play well. It takes an athlete to be good.

• Like 1

Well....... I play golf. I'm almost 59. I would NOT call myself an athlete. I was a very good athlete in my younger days. I competed for many years in Martial Arts and Tennis.

I can still go out and play golf... even though getting out of bed is sometimes a painful endeavor. I can't play tennis with any kind of skill or stamina these days, and I sure as hell can't compete in Martial Arts any more! 

Are golfers athletes? (the largest %)........... not in the true meaning of the word... IMO.

Edit:       I will give the nod to some of the pro golfers that have a serious workout routine, and take being fit serious.

• Like 1

I'm sorry but by this argument CC Sabbathia wasn't an athlete when he was actually a great one albeit it not in the greatest shape. 

True, but...... quite a few of MLB pitchers fit the same mold. All they do is throw, they don't have the same routine as the rest of the team... just sayin'.  ;)

Definition of athlete

1 : a person who is trained or skilled in exercises, sports, or games requiring physical strength, agility, or stamina

Golf doesn't require strength, agility or stamina. Most professionals and some amateurs improve their (golf) performance by working out, and they're athletes as a result - not simply because they play golf.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/athlete

Exactly, thanks for proving the point - golfers are athletes by this definition - it is a sport that requires strength, agility and stamina.

The definition doesn't say as much strength, agility and stamina as a certain standard, it says it requires them - golf requires them - it's undeniable that it does. Golfers are athletes including those of us who play and are a part of this forum - we may be terrible athletes but those who are playing golf are involved in an athletic endeavor.

CC Sabbathia was All State in Ohio in Football, Basketball and Baseball, Silver and Black. Not bad for a fat guy. :)

• Like 1

Taylor Made Sim2  10.5 (Opened 1 click) Ventus Blue 5  R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Wilson D7 forged 6-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

Edison Wedges 54 and 59 KBS Tour Graphite 80's

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Tour Exotics 3 wood is in the bag because we are allowed 14 clubs.  It's a great club for pulling balls out of the water or from bushes - you never want to put your hand into anything in Florida unless you are absolutely certain that it's safe.  There are rare wind conditions when I might hit it off the tee on a few holes that I play.  

Your offending athletes everywhere with this topic

I consider myself an athlete (and a pretty good one at that) and I am not at all offended. We are discussing the definition of the word athlete and how to applies to golf. While golf doesn't take the brute strength of wrestling or boxing, it does take more athleticism, to play well, than you realize. The weekend hacker may not be a golf athlete but someone who plays and practices day in and day out are athletes. Distance runners aren't muscle balls but they are athletes. Golf requires a different blend of mental and physical athleticism than other sports. This does not preclude golf from being an "athletic sport".

• Like 1

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

I consider myself an athlete (and a pretty good one at that) and I am not at all offended. We are discussing the definition of the word athlete and how to applies to golf. While golf doesn't take the brute strength of wrestling or boxing, it does take more athleticism, to play well, than you realize. The weekend hacker may not be a golf athlete but someone who plays and practices day in and day out are athletes. Distance runners aren't muscle balls but they are athletes. Golf requires a different blend of mental and physical athleticism than other sports. This does not preclude golf from being an "athletic sport".

Very well said

• Like 1

It's an age old debate.Any many still don't recognize this great game as an athletic endeavor.

What is your thoughts on this?

many of them absolutely, others heck no!

• Like 1

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

Just watch other athletes try and play golf... Some are ok, but most are awful. Since we all play we know how hard the game is so yes, golfers are athletes. I played all sports except golf and this takes a special kind of athlete to play this game. It test all facet's of your physical and mental game. And like middler said, look up the definition of an athlete. Basketball, football, and baseball came easy to me because I was a "natural athlete", this sport does not and that's the test a true athlete needs.

Sent from my VS988 using MyGolfSpy mobile app