MmmmmmBuddy

How'd you play?

Not such a great score 84. But the how was a thing of beauty for me -

I kept hitting the stupid ball too far. My drives were 235 - 260 - I played this course 2 months ago and my longest drive was 232! (I was happy with that.)

I hit 8 iron on a hole where I hit 6 iron then and was on the back edge (3 putt). The next hole has a water Hazzard that crosses the fairway at 225. One hopped my striped 3 wood into that for bogey.

We played with a lovely couple who were up a set of tees from us - after the 260 yard drive (261 actually) the lady said, “How can such a little unassuming guy hit it that far?”

I’m loving SuperSpeed!

Oh and I walked - first time 18 holes walking in eight years.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 5

On 1/22/2019 at 8:52 AM, Kenny B said:

I played Lookout Mountain in Phoenix yesterday.  Beautiful weather but winds picked up to about 20 mph on the back nine.  I'm a hacker here on Bermuda grass!!  My apologies to all you guys who shoot over 90, but I'm just not used to it.  The greens are so much different than what I'm used to putting on, that I am guessing all the time and I'm always wrong.  It could have been a pretty good round if I had putted like I normally do.  I drove the ball beautifully.  I had seven 3-putts!!!  I couldn't get the ball to the hole, and as the ball slowed down it broke 3 feet more than I thought it would.  I was frustrated!!  On hole #16 I had a birdie putt... I wasn't going to leave it short like I did all day.  Slightly downhill, and apparently down grain... putted it off the green!  Then chip, followed by two more putts; a 3 putt with a chip in the middle!!!

I'll figure out the grass here by the time I leave for home next week.

Well, it's been a week and I have figured out the greens here in Phoenix.  I probably shouldn't say that as I'm playing the next 2 days before we leave on Friday.

After the bad putting rounds, we played a par 61 exec course and I shot 70.  I followed that up with 3 rounds on regulation courses with scores of 82, 77, and an 85 where i had a good round going but made 3 double bogeys on the back nine; just stupid decisions!  The 77 was at Arizona Grand GC; +3 on each nine.

Today, my wife and I played The Legacy Resort course; fastest greens we have seen yet.  Shot a +9 round of 80; only pars and bogeys.  Missed an ace on hole #11 by 3 feet; missed the birdie putt that had 1.5 foot of break, but made the 5 footer comeback putt fro par.

Headed out to Sun City to play with the old folks tomorrow.  Hope the greens are fast; I'm liking fast greens.  I also like Bermuda grass now, once I figured out that Bermuda grass on a golf course is just a whole lot of crabgrass strung together!  🤭

• Like 3

Finally broke 80 again at my new club with a solid 79... with my new irons.

getting used to how to hit them, seems they like a slight cut more so than a slight draw. But they go pretty well. The greens are in a weird winter mode- super thin grass on greens, then soft wet dirt underneath. Very hard to get anything to stop on them as the mud just sucks the spin right off...

• Like 3

Also shot 79 today - it was a mixed bag of good shots and incomplete turns leading to blocks - Only missed 2 fairways though and the good ones were really good. Finally made birdie on 18.

• Like 4

Played my first round of 2019 (and first round in 3 months) yesterday and somehow shot 67 (-5). Hopefully I can score like this in my tournaments this year. Definitely happy to have my Cobra irons back in the bag and not the Hogan’s

IMG_0051.thumb.JPG.9d815db15de5923d523cb1902184b168.JPG

• Like 2

Back to back 42’s for an 84 and 2nd Place in our Friday game.

Birdies the Par 5 #17!

Longest drive was 233

• Like 2

21 hours ago, revkev said:

Also shot 79 today - it was a mixed bag of good shots and incomplete turns leading to blocks - Only missed 2 fairways though and the good ones were really good. Finally made birdie on 18.

Lol, I finally made a birdie on 17...

the greens are the hardest piece on my new track to figure out. Not really flat anywhere. Hard to stick em, seems they’re either too wet and muddy, or too dry and hard, and super fast...

my hdcp is climbing quickly on this track...😕, it’s quite hard to break 80

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Sluggo42 said:

Lol, I finally made a birdie on 17...

the greens are the hardest piece on my new track to figure out. Not really flat anywhere. Hard to stick em, seems they’re either too wet and muddy, or too dry and hard, and super fast...

my hdcp is climbing quickly on this track...😕, it’s quite hard to break 80

Mine is that way too but low 80's with the occasional round in the high 70's mixed in will keep your handicap in the mid-single digits - the course rating and slope are high no matter what set of tees you play from. 

• Like 3

Back to Back 40’s with one Birdie and only 27 putts! Grabbed 2nd Place in our Saturday Game (44 Players).

The Cobra F8’s are in the bag with a backup putter: Ping Ketsch.

• Like 4

Not so great today, playing a Cart Path Only wet course after last nights rain(1”). I shot a 44/43:87

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

Shot a even 100 today. It was a good tune up round for me. It's been hard finding a good weekend to play so I was excited just to get out. Short game was atrocious but my driver and iron swing was surprisingly on point.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 3

6 hours ago, fozcycle said:

Not so great today, playing a Cart Path Only wet course after last nights rain(1”). I shot a 44/43:87

I’ve been on cart path a lot lately too here in SoCal. We’ve been getting hammered this year with rain! Thank goodness!!

• Like 1

I looked at the clubs and said you know what I'll get some simulator time...

Nope.

Everything booked up through this week and the only times that are open are when I'm at work. It's warm enough to play right now but the snow and frost isn't going anywhere soon, so it's probably another month before I can play again. I hate winter.

It hit 60 degrees today so I went to the club to screw around and check out playing with glasses and the Garmin S60 watch. Hit a shot on 12 trying to lay up on a par 3 since I only brought irons. I heard a bang like I hit a cart path. Proceeded towards the hole and dropped another ball to hit again. Turns out the pond in front of the green was frozen and my first ball was on the green after bouncing off ice.

IMG_0076.JPG

• Like 4

First round of 2019 in the books and the swing change is showing promise but there's still a long ways to go. 

Shot +5 77 (39/38). Not bad for early February 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, jlukes said:

First round of 2019 in the books and the swing change is showing promise but there's still a long ways to go. 

Shot +5 77 (39/38). Not bad for early February 

What worked and what didn't?

Shot a 43/45:88 today with only 5 Pars. Longest drive was 219 yds. 4/14 FIRs and 7/18 GIRs. 36 putts with four 3 putts....

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, fozcycle said:

Shot a 43/45:88 today with only 5 Pars. Longest drive was 219 yds. 4/14 FIRs and 7/18 GIRs. 36 putts with four 3 putts....emoji37.pngemoji37.png

😱

38/43 at Desert Hills.  I hit more fairways this round than I have all winter season.  Also a few more of the longer putts dropping - boy does that make a difference!  One little change I've made in recent weeks has been slightly lifting the heel of my putter; that has reduced my push n' pulls. 👍

• Like 1

We were on a frost delay for a while this morning, so I only got 9 in. It was hard to swing with 6 shirts and a jacket.

didnt bother keeping score, but continued to try to get used to the new p790’s.

i tell ya what.. these stix, with the recoil smacwraps (R) are really a joy to hit. I’m now playing a baby cut which seems a little easier to control. The 4 and 5 irons are such a pleasure to hit. I do think I need to take the pw in for a check up. It seems to be coming up too short on a few different occasions. I’m still unable to tell how well they’ll hold the greens until this weather stabilizes.

• Like 1