Driving Iron/Hybrid Shaft vs Graphite Iron Shaft

Hey guys,

I need help! Trying to decide which route to go in terms of shafts. I have a Taylormade GAPR 3 Mid (stock KBS 70g Hybrid shaft), and I want to upgrade the shaft. I'm looking at the Axiom graphite iron shaft, or the Ventus HB. Which one do I go for? I'm looking for a mid-low, straight shot when I use this club.

Currently using it off the tee (long par 3s or short par 4s), but I will pull it out occasionally under the conditions bellow, so maybe 3 or 4 times in a round.

• windy conditions
  • 220-250yd shots around trouble
  • skinny fairways

For my driver, I'm gaming a Ventus TR 6-S Blue on a TSR3 (9 deg), and I like it a lot. Any input is greatly appreciated!

WITB 

Driver | Titleist TSr3 [Ventus Blue TR 6-S]

Woods | Titleist TSi3 3W [MCA Tensei AV Blue 60] | Taylormade Rescue 7W

Irons | Taylormade GAPR 3 MID [KBS 60G Hybrid] Taylormade P770 (4-P) [Modus 3 Tour 120]

Wedges | Titleist Vokey SM9 (52 & 58)

Putter | Cleveland HB Soft Milled 1

*As of March 2024

What is the current stock shaft doing that isn't allowing you to get the performance you want out of it? 

Graphite iron shaft will likely be too short, but I haven't looked into the stock lengths. Also there is the possibility of size issues for compatiblity.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

20 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

What is the current stock shaft doing that isn't allowing you to get the performance you want out of it? 

Graphite iron shaft will likely be too short, but I haven't looked into the stock lengths. Also there is the possibility of size issues for compatiblity.

I'm going through a swing change, and now I'm loading more on my swings. It feels more natural to me. I don't have any definite evidence for this, but the stock KBS shaft that comes with the GAPR just doesn't seem to load the way I'm used to with my irons (Modus 3 120 Tour S), or my driver, and it's throwing my timing off. I figured going with a Fujikura shaft would provide a feel similar to my driver when I swing.

WITB 

Driver | Titleist TSr3 [Ventus Blue TR 6-S]

Woods | Titleist TSi3 3W [MCA Tensei AV Blue 60] | Taylormade Rescue 7W

Irons | Taylormade GAPR 3 MID [KBS 60G Hybrid] Taylormade P770 (4-P) [Modus 3 Tour 120]

Wedges | Titleist Vokey SM9 (52 & 58)

Putter | Cleveland HB Soft Milled 1

*As of March 2024

I don't have personal experience with the shaft you mentioned in a driving iron.  I use a srixon zu85 driving iron paired with Fujikura MCI 100 Stiff that was tipped by 0.75". you may want to check that out.  For reference, my driver shaft is Ventus TR Blue 6S tipped 1.5" and have used it on TSR3 as well.   

Edited by theadvocate_ivan

Callaway Rogue ST Triple Diamond 10.5 Ventus Black 6S tipped 1"

Callaway Epic Flash Subzero 15* (Testing new shafts)

Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 20* Ventus Black 8x

Epon AF302 4-PW Modus 105X

Fourteen RM-4 51, 55, 59* Modus 125 Wedge 

Bettinardi BB8 DASS RJB8158

The current shaft is pretty light compared to your irons. I would say that's the reason for the timing issues. My guess is that the swing weight is so different from your irons and whatever you choose needs to be in line with those. 

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

2 hours ago, Josh Parker said:

The current shaft is pretty light compared to your irons. I would say that's the reason for the timing issues. My guess is that the swing weight is so different from your irons and whatever you choose needs to be in line with those. 

Totally agree!

If you haven't already, I wish suggest comparing the swing weights of your irons with this club. If they are more than three points different, you could experiment with some old-fashioned lead tape on it to match swing weights, and then see what that does to your timing. Might be an interesting experiment before you spend major money on a new shaft, and its certainly very inexpensive and easily reversible.

TM Stealth 10.5 on Ventus Red 5 Reg

TM Mini 13.5 on Ventus Red 5 Reg

TM Stealth 5, and 9 woods on  Ventus Blue Reg

TM Stealth 5 hybrid on Ventus Blue Reg

Mizuno Pro 245 6 to Gap, UST Mamiya Recoil 760/780 ES F3 +1.25", 3 up

Callaway Jaws 54, 62, Project X Catalyst Wedge, +1.5, 2 up

Scotty Phantom 5s

4 hours ago, Yinkon said:

I'm going through a swing change, and now I'm loading more on my swings. It feels more natural to me. I don't have any definite evidence for this, but the stock KBS shaft that comes with the GAPR just doesn't seem to load the way I'm used to with my irons (Modus 3 120 Tour S), or my driver, and it's throwing my timing off. I figured going with a Fujikura shaft would provide a feel similar to my driver when I swing.

I’m going through something similar and also play the Modus 120 S in the iron shafts. I bought an axiom 105s, and although it feels great, it doesn’t have the similar loading feel that the Modus provides. My suggestion would be to try a Modus 105 iron shaft and then swing weight/counterbalance it to what feels best for you. If that doesn’t work, youre likely only out about $50. 

The Fuji Blue Hybrid shaft may end up being the best option, but that’s a $350 gamble. Just my 2 cents

Best of luck! 

For some a hybrid shaft works well in a driving iron shaft and for others it’s a bad experiment. An old golfing buddy of mine in Colorado loves a hybrid shaft in his driving iron. I have gone that route and hated it. I find better success with a lighter weigh and sometimes even a softer flex than what’s in my irons. I only change flex label if I’m staying in the insane shaft family, other wise I just use a lighter weight from an iron shaft I like but may not be using. Example would using s300s in my irons and using a kbs tour 90 or a c taper lite in my driving iron or going with an recoil 95 in the driving iron.

because of balance, weight and feel it’s hard to say what would work for you or not. There’s no bad shafts just bad fits

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I would suggest a Graphite Design Tour AD DI-95 or HY-105. Your current setup has (I’m guessing without putting it on a scale) a drastically different swing weight than your current irons. Graphite Design almost created this category. The IZ-95 is an awesome selection as well.

TSR2  9* Ventus Velocore Blue 6S

TRS2 15* Ventus Velocore Red 7S

TS 21* Diamana BF 80S

TSI 23* Ventus HB 8S

Titleist 714 AP2 5-9 PX 6.0

Vokey SM6 Raw 48F/SM8 50F/56M/60M

SC X Fantom 5

Vessel Player 14 2.0

Fitter is best recommendation. Personally I like the discontinued UST Recoil. Have one in my @ClevelandGolfSrixon UHX 20* 3i. For a few years, so when I decided to go graphite irons after years of steel, went Launcher XL. Low to mid ball flight which I prefer, low dispersion. It is all what works for you. 

Ed Bailey-Mershon

9 hours ago, Yinkon said:

Hey guys,

I need help! Trying to decide which route to go in terms of shafts. I have a Taylormade GAPR 3 Mid (stock KBS 70g Hybrid shaft), and I want to upgrade the shaft. I'm looking at the Axiom graphite iron shaft, or the Ventus HB. Which one do I go for? I'm looking for a mid-low, straight shot when I use this club.

Currently using it off the tee (long par 3s or short par 4s), but I will pull it out occasionally under the conditions bellow, so maybe 3 or 4 times in a round.

• windy conditions
  • 220-250yd shots around trouble
  • skinny fairways

For my driver, I'm gaming a Ventus TR 6-S Blue on a TSR3 (9 deg), and I like it a lot. Any input is greatly appreciated!

For my 20° ZX Utility Iron I just use the same shaft as my irons. For me this gives me the same control and accuracy for those skinny fairways and ability to flight in windy conditions. I have also looked into heavier graphite shafts in the 90-100g ranges but lighter weight steel could also work. 

29 minutes ago, Tom c said:

Why not just go get fitted and let the professional club fitter tell you which shaft to get? 

This. You won't really know until you can compare them. This way you can do a side by side of steel vs graphite or different weight shafts. 

22 hours ago, Tom c said:

Why not just go get fitted and let the professional club fitter tell you which shaft to get? 

He asked, I’ve fit hundreds, and it’s all part of being on these threads. “Go get fit” is the stock answer of course, but might as well not even have these threads if “go get fit” is the only answer😂. I get it, but I’ve dealt with a lot of fitters who don’t have half the knowledge or experience that lots of people on here do. And, some people either don’t have the time, resources, or availability of a truly qualified professional. But that being said, if you have one available, go see a professional fitter, not some guy at a box store. 

TSR2  9* Ventus Velocore Blue 6S

TRS2 15* Ventus Velocore Red 7S

TS 21* Diamana BF 80S

TSI 23* Ventus HB 8S

Titleist 714 AP2 5-9 PX 6.0

Vokey SM6 Raw 48F/SM8 50F/56M/60M

SC X Fantom 5

Vessel Player 14 2.0

I went with a hybrid shaft in my U510 2-iron. Specifically the KBS tour prototype 85g S tipped 1/4”. This gave me similar dynamics to a hybrid in terms of translation feel and kick point. I tried the club out with a DG S400 steel shaft and it just wasn’t for me. Granted the Axiom is nothing like a traditional steel shaft but I love the hybrid option for driving irons especially if it’s used mainly off the tee

Current WITB:

Driver:                      image.png.ad4d66f798557c86ee934344d1a24ed2.png       Paradym 10.5 Ventus Black 6S

Fairway:                   image.png.3077938d887c52577470dba42554f0aa.png     ST-Z 230 3-Wood (15°) HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 60 Official Test

Hybrid:                    image.png.a874a9a429fd132acae64968308d6a89.png     ST-Z 230 Hybrid (19°) Ventus Blue HB-8 Official Test

Irons:                       image.png.a874a9a429fd132acae64968308d6a89.png     MP-18 MMC (4-9)

Wedges:     image.png.8641af187e8958a5ff8c3c2146b1fc7c.png  Vokey SM8 (46.10F, 50.12F, 54.14F, 58.12D)

Putter:                image.png.a85c45cc6c173613e90f345a17c689b4.png      Select Squareback 2 34.5 Ping Corded 88G PP58 grip double taped

Ball:                       image.png.c4e52864bdd9535caa79ae03a9376870.png        Pro-V1 (currently testing the Callaway Chrome Soft X LS Triple Track)

Reviews:

2023 Red Rooster Sussex Glove Official Forum Test

2023 Mizuno Long Game Official Forum Test

Regarding lead tape you can put some on the shaft and not just the clubhead.  This might address the lighter shaft issue brought up earlier and not throw all the new weight out at the end of the club.  How much and where to put it is a trial and error.  To start i would put equal amounts if tape at grip end bottom and middle to get close to a total club weight of your longest iron.

Edited by Shapotomous

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

Some great comments about shafts in this thread.

I am not and that is a big "not" really dialled in, like many of you, on the nuances of shafts, it seems to me to be information overload, something like all the numbers that run across the top of the screen at a "Foresight" session.

Having said that I changed to a KBS stiff light shaft in my Takomo irons and after a "fitting" they seemed to perform as well as the other shafts I tried.

It still took me 6 weeks of hitting lots of balls to get the full performance out of the shafts, to figure out the weight change, from 110 to 100 grams, and the kick point etc, to deliver the ball flight and distance I expected. 

So from personal experience, my advice would be get fit, which will narrow down your choices, then try and find a retailer that will let you work with the shaft for at least a month before you make the decision as the shaft may or may not perform like it did in the fitting. 

committed to performance excellence

4 hours ago, RCGolf said:

He asked, I’ve fit hundreds, and it’s all part of being on these threads. “Go get fit” is the stock answer of course, but might as well not even have these threads if “go get fit” is the only answer😂. I get it, but I’ve dealt with a lot of fitters who don’t have half the knowledge or experience that lots of people on here do. And, some people either don’t have the time, resources, or availability of a truly qualified professional. But that being said, if you have one available, go see a professional fitter, not some guy at a box store. 

Just to add to this if you don't live near a qualified fitter with a large selection it's very expensive to book a fitting, drive, time, hotel and meals etc. to do so.  I can only think of one qualified fitter with a good selection here in Canada being TXG.  Otherwise some of us have to narrow down what to order based on our own knowledge plus the knowledge and experiences of forum members.

I use a GAPR Lo in my bag as well. Really enjoy it! Mine came with an X Flex that was tipped and was stiff as a board.  I recently bought the same shaft that originally came on it but stiff and cut it half an inch shorter from the grip end.  The shaft and tip were OEM from eBay and cost less than $50. Fun little experiment. 

My personal finders were if I want a shaft that is consistently giving me a low cut, use the X Flex. If I want to work the ball both ways and control flight, then go with the mildly shorter and S Flex. For me, it will be course dependent on what shaft I play as they play entirely different. 

JackieMoon_LMS: 3.2 handicap

• Driver: Taylormade Stealth Plus 
  • 3W: Taylormade Sim 2 
  • 3H: Taylormade Stealth Plus
  • Irons 4 - PW: Taylormade Tour Preferred
  • Wedges: Vokey 50, 54, 58
  • Putter: Never Compromise GM2 Mallet
  • Ball: Vice Pro 

On 4/2/2024 at 9:04 AM, RCGolf said:

Go get fit” is the stock answer of course, but might as well not even have these threads if “go get fit” is the only answer😂. I get it, but I’ve dealt with a lot of fitters who don’t have half the knowledge or experience that lots of people on here do.

Unfortunately there are a lot of people who have the title of fitter that are bad at their jobs. There are also different level of fittings which depending on what the consumer is looking for may not be available or affordable.

It’s why those of us who do go get fit say to find a reputable fitter. It makes a huge difference. The biggest reason is because despite the knowledge we have we can’t say X shaft, Y weight, Z length, or a certain profile type will be what the golfer needs. When it comes to recommendations there could be 20-30 shafts that one could here to go try and then it becomes a guessing game for what to buy which can turn into an even more expensive venture than going to get fit and buying a shaft or club is.

How a shaft feels plays a role in how it performs for a golfer because of how it can affect the swing. And most recommendations from members come based on their own personal experience which despite how some feel has no bearing on how it will perform for someone else even if they have the same handicap, same swing speed or even what they consider the same transition type. We all swing differently.

Many times members come asking for a shaft to find a quick fix to change ball flight. Shafts are not the first option to fix ball flight. A shaft can influence launch and spin but the earlier somone releases the less that’s going to happen.

So it comes down to personal testing of shafts or getting fit. An option for fitting is to find a demo day where the oem offers appointments so you get a dedicated time slot and the reps full attention. It will be hit or miss on the skill of the rep but one can rasearxh the rep. Titleist has very qualified reps doing their fittings. Many if not all are also instructors so they also understand the swing.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1