Random Thread

ole gray

How about the days before voicemail - when you stepped back in the office you had a ton of those message slips were you had to return calls. Even further back - 'party lines' were you shared a line with other homes. Ah yes the good old days where you met the scammers face to face and Alexa wasn't listening to your conversations. Today's technology make George Orwell's "1984" look naive

Although the government is also listening, I don't think George Orwell even had a clue about what the private sector could do.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Heck, if you're old, than I must be ancient. I can remember "party lines" and four digit phone numbers. Granted, I was a pre-school youngster, but darn it, I can remember them.

Yup, the old party lines. One rotary phone that was hardly used.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

I was just having a conversation with a younger co-worker yesterday about the "long distance" wars - I used to switch between Sprint, MCI, and AT&T very frequently for whoever had the best deal going. He looked at me like I had three heads. "What's long distance?"

Or how about when you have to call the operator to make a long distance call. And there were also 'person to person' calls.

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Or how about when you have to call the operator to make a long distance call. And there were also 'person to person' calls.

Every weekend in college, making collect calls to talk to my parents. I remember the first time the automated system recorded me saying my name. It kind of freaked my dad out.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

My new golf hat came last night...no spoilers until maybe Sunday.

@MaxEntropy, I still need the one I left in your car, it's now going to be my lawn mowing hat.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

@MaxEntropy, I still need the one I left in your car, it's now going to be my lawn mowing hat.

Why am I feeling a sense of dread? Of course, your hat track record.

Hoping for, but not expecting an improvement

I'm certain Max would have been tempted to burn the old one, but might have got into a lot of trouble with the EPA.

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

You'll get it Sunday morning. It's still in my car and on hot days, my car smells kind of funny.

Heck, if you're old, than I must be ancient.   I can remember "party lines" and four digit phone numbers.   Granted, I was a pre-school youngster, but darn it, I can remember them. 

We had a "party line" when I was a small child and I remember it well.  It was actually connected to all 5 houses where I lived.  The summer the phone company ran new lines to each home to remove the "party line" was like Christmas in July.  The trench left an 15 inch wide dirt path right down our 3rd base line (growing up on a farm, we had plenty of open space so, we built a "baseball field" when I was about 8).  We had a third of our "baseball field" actually resemble a baseball field.  It was pretty great!

I used to get into trouble for picking up the phone and making wise-ass remarks while neighbors were using the phone.  Like they didn't know exactly who was doing it?!?!?  The naivety of youth.

You'll get it Sunday morning. It's still in my car and on hot days, my car smells kind of funny.

Every once in awhile when I reach into the back of my car for my trusty hat, it's gone!!  My wife grabbed it and washed it.  "When I can smell the hat from the fairway, it's past time to wash it."

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I miss my land line. Nobody could bother me or send me a text. I could answer or not. It was just simpler and easier in those days.

Having said that... I fought tooth and nail against getting a cell phone... now, I can't imagine life without it. Crazy.

I miss my land line. Nobody could bother me or send me a text. I could answer or not. It was just simpler and easier in those days.

Having said that... I fought tooth and nail against getting a cell phone... now, I can't imagine life without it. Crazy.

I used to make fun of people with the early cell phones. "Do they really think they are that important that they need to be reachable all the time?!?!?"

Like you, I can't imagine not having one now.

Ah yes the simpler days before scammers and politicians called you

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

My wife and I still have a land line.    We supply it's number to those with whom we really don't want to be bothered.   Unlike our cell phones, it stays at home and is not with us 24/7.   It has caller ID, when we get home, we check the ID or any messages.  We respond to the ones we want and not to the ones we don't.   When we get a call or text on our cell phones, we, at least, know that it is someone with whom we may have some interest or they wouldn't have our numbers.  

We have no landline at home.  My wife had her business land line ported over to her cell phone.  It's handy because she owns her business and is the only one working there.  When we travel, she can still answer customer's calls.  Since it's her business phone, she has to answer all calls (except Unknown Callers), which can be a pain with the robocalls.  

I just let mine go to voicemail if I don't know the caller.  If they leave a message and I want to call back, I do.

I could do without a cell phone, except it's handy to text my wife when I'm trying to remember why I went to the grocery store.

Why am I feeling a sense of dread? Of course, your hat track record.

Hoping for, but not expecting an improvement

I'm certain Max would have been tempted to burn the old one, but might have got into a lot of trouble with the EPA.

Oh mate, you'll LOVE it!  :unsure:

That's you, not my hat!

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

We have one day next week where temps will be above 75.Than it drops down too mid 60's with a low of 40's and 30's and night.When fall arrives , it really arrives

Hope all had a nice summer.The white stuff will be here in maybe a month in my estimation.Im going too promise myself that i will give golf another try next summer

Keep it in the short stuff

Maybe golf really is declining.  This week I have received three subscription offers; two from Golf Magazine and one from Golf Digest.  I have never subscribed to Golf Digest, and I terminated my Golf Magazine subscription years ago.  I haven't received any offers until now.  They must be hard up.  

It's curious that I received one Golf Magazine offer at home, and the other offers I received at my wife's business address.  I've never had a subscription of any kind delivered there, but it's where all of my golf purchases are delivered.  Somebody sold my shipping address to Golf and Golf Digest!!

2 hours ago, Kenny B said:

Maybe golf really is declining.  This week I have received three subscription offers; two from Golf Magazine and one from Golf Digest.  I have never subscribed to Golf Digest, and I terminated my Golf Magazine subscription years ago.  I haven't received any offers until now.  They must be hard up.  

It's curious that I received one Golf Magazine offer at home, and the other offers I received at my wife's business address.  I've never had a subscription of any kind delivered there, but it's where all of my golf purchases are delivered.  Somebody sold my shipping address to Golf and Golf Digest!!

That's what you get for signing up for those golf contests - they end up selling your info. 

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

6 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

That's what you get for signing up for those golf contests - they end up selling your info. 

And he didn't even win the Odeyssey putter!!!!!

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

My War Department is an AVID animal lover. She had 2 or 3 Animal Charities that she contributed to a few times a year. About 5 years ago the Animal Charity contribution request went absolutely crazy!! We started receiving 6-10 different charities DAILY. Well they blew it. We picked 2 reputable organizations that’s it, no others. We throw the unsolicited requests in recycling.
I had the same thing happen to me. I played in a Wounded Warrior Charity Golf Scramble. The following year I was deluged with monetary requests.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

My War Department is an AVID animal lover. She had 2 or 3 Animal Charities that she contributed to a few times a year. About 5 years ago the Animal Charity contribution request went absolutely crazy!! We started receiving 6-10 different charities DAILY. Well they blew it. We picked 2 reputable organizations that’s it, no others. We throw the unsolicited requests in recycling.
I had the same thing happen to me. I played in a Wounded Warrior Charity Golf Scramble. The following year I was deluged with monetary requests.

Same thing happen to us - except they came in the form of phone calls. Thankfully we chose to disconnect our land line. Also another reason why I liked the DVR. When those animal charity commercials came on with Sarah Mcloghflin singing in the background I could fast forward them.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

2 hours ago, tony@CIC said:

That's the thing... I don't sign up for those contests because I don't want the extra emails. I am not getting emails from them.  The only way I could have gotten those subscription offers sent by regular mail to my shipping address is if one of the golf companies that I bought something from sold the address.

15 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Really wish Nike wouldn’t have pulled the plug on hard goods. Been reading old reviews and looking at pictures. Real bummer.

That's how I feel about Spalding.

By the time that they gave up the ship,

they were calling themselves "Top Flite" and not even using the Spalding name anymore.

They had already jumped the shark by then.

Can't say that I miss Nike, though.

They were really after my time.