strokerAce

3300 (!) for an Ireland trip ?

Guy I've been playing with quite a bit this year and starting to get to know better told me last weekend while we were playing that he was trying to put together a golf trip to Ireland for next year.

One week trip with 6 days of golf.

The next words out of his mouth were "..something, something, 3300 per guy...something...something"

I tried to play it cool but WHOA!.... 

Someone please tell me this isn't accurate.... there's got to be a better way.

I'm not sure what courses he's playing but that price seems really really high.

Does the number include flights?  Hotels?

Flights are anywhere from 500-800

Hotels in Ireland will run anywhere from 100-200 a night

So there you are looking at basically almost $2000 before you even start counting greens fees.  Definitely doesn't seem like a crazy number

• Like 3

Does the number include flights?  Hotels?

Flights are anywhere from 500-800

Hotels in Ireland will run anywhere from 100-200 a night

So there you are looking at basically almost $2000 before you even start counting greens fees.  Definitely doesn't seem like a crazy number

This is accurate.  Do your own homework if you want, but $3,300 for a week in Ireland is average.  Sure, you can spend the time and look for deals, etc, but what your buddy is quoting isn't insane.

• Like 1

Yeah, if this is all inclusive, it is pretty accurate.

I am sure you could go bargain hunting and find it for $500 cheaper or something but your buddy definitely isn't way out of the ballpark.

I agree, it isn't a crazy number.  There are certainly some ways to save some money, easiest is to stay away from the most famous courses.  The big names are in the Southwest (Waterville, Ballybunion, Lahinch, Old Head, Doonbeg) or in Northern Ireland (all of the Royals).  You could go to County Mayo, Sligo, and/or Donegal and play wonderful Irish links and pay a lot less.  Another way is to stay in a B&B instead of a hotel.  The thing is, if your friend is using a booking service, they'll generally steer you towards more luxurious lodgings and more famous courses.  They might also include a vehicle and driver, you can save money by driving yourselves.  

On the other hand, Ireland is a brilliant place to visit.  Many of the golf courses are outstanding, the people are friendly, and the food and drink are good to excellent.  The only problem with going to Ireland once is that you'll want to go back over and over again.

I just realized, I have a point of comparison.  In June I spent a week in Scotland, (flew IcelandAir to save about $400), 8 days of golf planned (we played a few more holes along the way) 8 nights lodging (one nice B&B, one small hotel), we drove ourselves, and our base cost was under$2000, plus about $850 for air travel.  We didn't play Open rota courses, although Prestwick hosted the first 12 Open Championships.  If your friend is talking $3300 plus air, he's being quoted a fairly high-class package.

• Like 1

It just seems that in this day and age with vacation home rentals and Uber this should be cheaper.

It just seems that in this day and age with vacation home rentals and Uber this should be cheaper.

Have you ever traveled outside CONUS?

I just went on an Ireland Scotland family vacation. Just the wife and I. I only played one round at St. Andrews and with sightseeing, food, lodging, and travel we were just shy of 10. We were there for 10 days.

If $3,300 is everything, I think that is a hell of a deal.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

As everyone else said it's actually a good price... never been myself but after pricing out a week in Disney for my son, wife and I, nothing surprises me anymore haha.

Have you ever traveled outside CONUS?

I was gonna ask the same... but yeah, Europe can get really expensive. Price is actually pretty reasonable when you add airfare from the US.

• Like 1

I'm wondering whether strokerace has any more information on what that price included.  Details that would make a difference would be:

Level of accommodation (hotels, B&B), single or two per room

Transport included, including driver, or self-drive rental vehicle(s)?

Courses?

Airfare included?

Meals included, beyond breakfast (which is included at most places)?

I don't really have too many details yet; I think he mentioned that transportation was included and there were some pretty nice courses.

Nevertheless this is way out of my budget but I just wanted to see if it was reasonable....which, it sounds like it is.

Guess I'll be waiting a while to golf in Ireland!

I don't really have too many details yet; I think he mentioned that transportation was included and there were some pretty nice courses.
Nevertheless this is way out of my budget but I just wanted to see if it was reasonable....which, it sounds like it is.
Guess I'll be waiting a while to golf in Ireland!

Keep in mind that there is a pretty big difference in exchange rates plus the Vat taxes are higher than our sales tax

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy