Forum Structure Change: Equipment, University, and *Community* Read more... ×
Win a Custom Wedge Wizard Wedge: MGS Trick Shot Challenge Read more... ×
Sluggo42

Warm jacket for winter suggestions?

It’s getting really cold in the mornings, 30-40°,so I’m looking for a warm something to wear thru the next month or two. Rain is NOT an issue, I’m just looking for something that’s warm and easy to swing in.

any suggestions?  Thanks in advance...

• Like 1

Sluggo, I play all winter in Texas where some days are in the 40's to mid-50's. I don't necessarily own or purchase any expensive golf specific "cool" weather jackets. I rely mostly on layers. On the coldest/coolest days I start with a thermal body layer*, then a long sleeve mock turtle, then a pullover fleece type qtr. zip jacket. Somedays if even a little colder I might wear a zip up heavy type sweater jacket thing that also protects my neck. There's a lot of stuff out there that works and doesn't cost much really. Just buy what you like and appears to be warm. Pretty simple really as the idea is to be warm but not bound-up. If wind is an issue look for a wind barrier lining on the inside of your jacket. If I can keep my core warm without much restriction I can play all day.

* I personally don't like wearing these tight fitting thermal layers but they sure work. I bought mine at Academy for not much. Same concept as UA but without the high price tag.

• Like 3

I second the layers. I’ll freeze on the course before wearing a thick warm jacket that does nothing but f up your swing and jack up your score. Tight thin layers are the way I go. Florida can be 40 in the am and 70 by noon. Short sleeve polo under a pullover under a windbreaker is how I usually roll. By the back nine I’ve usually shed everything but the polo.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

I've played in the 30s before wearing three things. First layer is UA cold gear 1/4 zip, a normal golf shirt, and a windbreaker jacket keeps me pretty dang warm.

• Like 1

30° is really cold?

Kidding. Sorta.

I wear shorts and a sleeveless shirt at 30°, but I’m running and I get warm.

I’d recommend some of the light fleece offerings from Columbia if you’re looking to keep it on the cheap side with decent quality. And it could double as the jacket to run to the store in.

I’m sure there are some made specifically for golf. I usually just wear my light fleece jacket.

• Like 1

Light layers is the trick for me with a sleeveless jacket. However, my issue is my fingers - haven't found anything yet that'll keep them warm. My most recent experience was with FJ winter gloves - fingers still got cold and they're too bulky for golf.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

Light layers is the trick for me with a sleeveless jacket. However, my issue is my fingers - haven't found anything yet that'll keep them warm. My most recent experience was with FJ winter gloves - fingers still got cold and they're too bulky for golf.

Can you get mittens, put those little heat packets in them and take them on and off? 

That's what I do on really cold days. 

Edited by GB13
  • Like 1

Yea, I’ve heard good cart mittens and take em off just to swing.

ive done the layering and I find that it can be bulky too. I just want that perfect jacket that keeps you warm, but isn’t too bulky or restrictive.

what do the pros wear on cold days? Just sponsor junk?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Sluggo42 said:

Yea, I’ve heard good cart mittens and take em off just to swing.

ive done the layering and I find that it can be bulky too. I just want that perfect jacket that keeps you warm, but isn’t too bulky or restrictive.

what do the pros wear on cold days? Just sponsor junk?

I know nothing about your style preferences, but this is what I wear, and it is warm and light. Works for 30° and above. 

https://www.underarmour.com/en-us/mens-coldgear-infrared-shield-jacket/pcid1321438-001 

Edited by GB13
  • Like 1

Patagonia R1 zip up jackets. They’re not cheap ($150ish new) but are thin, warm, flexible and come with a lifetime warranty , even if you buy it pre-owned.
I wear 1 layer under it and I’m good to go.

• Like 1

I played 2 weeks ago in the morning (after a frost delay) where the temps started about mid-30s and by the time i finished i was just over 40. Sun was out and zero breeze which made a big difference compared to other days. I layered with a loose fitting cold-weather Adidas shirt. Golf polo over that, and wore a North Face vest. I brought along a wind-blocking North Face jacket but never wore it. In the sun and moving around I was warm enough. Was cool a few times in the shade but nothing unbearable. 

• Like 1

I’m with the “layer guys “. When we lived in the Frozen North it was a necessity but in FL some mornings 2 or 3 layers are needed.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, GB13 said:

Can you get mittens, put those little heat packets in them and take them on and off? 

Great idea - thx. 

• Like 1

Yeah, we have different definitions of "really cold" 🙂

I always start with UA Coldgear base layer.  For the outer layer by far the best I've found is Mizuno Windlite sweater.  I think they still make them but it's called a different name now.  Honestly though I'd look on ebay for one.  They are amazingly warm, let you swing, and can be found pretty cheap.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, McaseyM said:

Patagonia R1 zip up jackets. They’re not cheap ($150ish new) but are thin, warm, flexible and come with a lifetime warranty , even if you buy it pre-owned.
I wear 1 layer under it and I’m good to go.

I’m actually only a few miles from the Patagonia place in a Ventura Ca. I like this concept, and I’ll follow up.

i like the sound of the mizuno wind-sweater too- if it’s warm...

14 hours ago, GB13 said:

I just ordered some footjoy winter gloves- they got really good reviews on Amazon... also bought some ice fishing gloves in case the FJ’s don’t work... haha just kidding, there for the cold mornings on the lake for the next month or two

im thinking that the gloves or mittens might be smart, because cold hands make you cold all over, and warm hands don’t. I’m also thinking a beanie cap too, to keep heat from escaping from my head, it seems gray hair releases more heat...🤔

• Like 1

I just ordered some footjoy winter gloves- they got really good reviews on Amazon... also bought some ice fishing gloves in case the FJ’s don’t work... haha just kidding, there for the cold mornings on the lake for the next month or two
im thinking that the gloves or mittens might be smart, because cold hands make you cold all over, and warm hands don’t. I’m also thinking a beanie cap too, to keep heat from escaping from my head, it seems gray hair releases more heat...

The one thing I really didn't like about my FJ winter gloves is the elastic cuff - it's very tight.

I have to wear layers.  Like today, the course opened up at 11am after a frost delay.  Sunny, slight breeze out of the north, temp 35º; warmed up to 43º.  If I am riding in a cart, it's cold... if I'm walking, I start to shed layers by the 4th hole.  I don't really like coats; too warm and too restrictive.  If I get too hot, I sweat, then I get chilled.  With layers and an outer vest, I can peel as many as I need to stay just right.

Yeah, we have different definitions of "really cold"
I always start with UA Coldgear base layer.  For the outer layer by far the best I've found is Mizuno Windlite sweater.  I think they still make them but it's called a different name now.  Honestly though I'd look on ebay for one.  They are amazingly warm, let you swing, and can be found pretty cheap.

The wind sweaters are awesome. Had 2 of them and gave them to my golf Bud when we moved to FL.
Should have kept one of them for the brutal 45’ FL morning!