GolfSpy MPR

The Hardest Hole on Your Course

Posted (edited)

I don't have a picture or anything to show, but #11 at my home course is the number 1 handicap for good reason. It's the longest Par 4 at 465 yards from the back tees (just 50~ yards shorter than the Par 5 10th) that plays dead straight with OB left and a creek to the right. The tee box is elevated above the fairway and wind is a definite factor to consider when it's blowing. GIR on this hole is a monumental achievement usually accompanied by applause...

Now to move a bit counter to the discussion topic... I was helping with tornado clean-up in Carl Junction, MO this weekend and the course there is in really bad shape. Lots of trees down after it was directly hit with an EF3 preceded by a lot of rain that softened the ground. The tree lined fairways on this course are a large part of what made it challenging to play, but looks like at least a few holes will be playing quite a bit easier now. Thankfully, the clubhouse was practically untouched and aside from all the uprooted trees, damage to the fairways and greens appears to be minimal. They're expecting to open the front 9 in a couple days and will open up the back in another week or so - at least that's what I was told by the guy in the pro shop when I asked.

briarbrook.jpg.f8c9f339b26e544455ef6e15d3f18777.jpg

Standing next to #8 tee at Briarbrook Golf Course in Carl Junction, MO. 

Edited by TR1PTIK

25 minutes ago, jlukes said:

Any hole that takes driver off the table due to a fairway that ends and then leaves you with more yardage into the green than you were allowed to hit off the tee, should absolutely be blown up.

Well to be fair, it doesn't take it out of my hands from the whites, and if you were playing, I'm sure you'd be playing the Blues which are about 6600 and it is 280 to that same spot before the fairway ends.  303 if you want to see the whole course from the tips. 

2 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

Here's my contribution, #12 at Stoneleigh Golf Club, Round Hill, VA.

105216574_stoneleigh12.thumb.jpg.a7fb907b58f32dd056d8cb2643224d5b.jpg

About 390 yards from the normal men's tee, 425 from the back.  The drive is uphill, about 30 feet based on Google Earth elevations, between a hazard left and OB right.  That brown line just inside the cart path is a small (3 to 4 foot high) dry-laid stone wall.  The drive shown is a little over 230 yards, pretty long for me, and my typical driver on level ground is 250 or so.  For longer hitters, the fairway narrows significantly.  Once you're there, you have 160 left, about 40 feet further uphill, and into the prevailing wind, so it plays 185 to 200 yards.  Still hazard on the left, and a big overhanging tree on the right, and another rock wall, this one close to 10 feet high at the bend.  The front of the green is a steep bank, balls almost to the top will roll back.  The green slopes back to front, so putts in that direction have been known to roll off the green.  And we call it fun....sometimes.

Oh man, it's been almost 20 years since I've played there, but it's the one hole of the course I do remember.  It was a beast! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Well to be fair, it doesn't take it out of my hands from the whites, and if you were playing, I'm sure you'd be playing the Blues which are about 6600 and it is 280 to that same spot before the fairway ends.  303 if you want to see the whole course from the tips. 

So basically turns the hole into 3W-3W.  BLOW IT UP! (I need to try to get down there this summer or fall to play it)

2 minutes ago, jlukes said:

So basically turns the hole into 3W-3W.  BLOW IT UP! (I need to try to get down there this summer or fall to play it)

I (being a shorter hitter) have to hit almost perfect drive.  If I fade it too much and i'm in the far right side of the fairway, I have  no chance of clearing the hazard, so it's a 80 yard or so layup, 

That'd be awesome if you were to make it down, we'd play all 36 and let you decide for yourself if it's the one that should be blown up.  But with your length, I can think of a couple others that would be contenders. 🙄

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

This hole was recently voted the hole anyone who plays here would most like to blow up and have redesigned.  Out of 36 holes (2 courses) it wasn't even close.

The Details 

Hole 12 SouthWest 

Par 5  No. 2 Handicap 

Black Tees 568 yards Blue Tees 549 White Tees 506 Gold Tees 447 Red Tees 350

The tee shot from Black, Blue, Gold must carry a ravine to reach the fairway.   From the Whites, it's a 210 yard carry over that left fairway bunker, to insure you are close enough to the second ravine to carry it on your second shot.   If you miss anything too far right to that bunker you are left with a 198 yard carry through a narrow opening.  Anything in the bunker or left of it and you don't have an angle to carry the ravine, and are forced to layup short of it. 

Once you clear the ravine, through the narrow gap of trees you will be left with anywhere from 120 yards or less to an uphill approach that is guarded by two green side bunkers fronting the green.  

The green itself is narrow on the left, making a back left pin a very precise and delicate shot.   The most approachable pin is back right.  Anything middle or front sits at the bottom of a slope and shots above the hole are likely to leave at least a 10 footer coming back up the slope.

Durinig league play there is a double par max per hole rule in effect to help pace of play.   I've seen many 10's on the card for this hole, some of them may or may not have been next to my name 🙂

So for the record, the ideal way to play this hole from the Whties:

Tee Shot: A draw of 230 yards that  works around that bunker, or a high fade straight over the bunker that lands 20 yards or so short of the end of the fairway.

2nd Shot: 175 yard club over the hazard to the fatest part of the 2nd fairway.

Approach: 75 yard wedge shot to anywhere on the green, take your two putts and run like you've stolen something, because you just stole a par. 

Hole 12 SouthWest.jpg

hari-kari.jpg.f601d7375da2235748289990af623742.jpgEr...this...

• Like 1

Not "my" course, but I play it a fair amount. I don't think I've ever scored better than an 8 on this hole.

Par 5, 558 from the tips, for me it is usually around 500-520. Tee shot is over a huge ravine and I am usually aiming/hoping to hit the fat area past the trees on the right. It's about 230 to hit that spot. Long hitters probably wouldn't take driver unless they were playing the back tees. It's an visually intimidating tee shot for me. Once the fairway ends, it is a steep downhill to the creek and then back up to the second shot landing area which is narrow and slopes to the right, towards the creek. If you don't get to the fat part of the landing area, trying to figure out how to recover is a pain and likely has you aiming towards the creek. It seems like this hole plays pretty similar to the one Rob posted.

1501396632_RosesRun12.png.9d139da98e7d7902bebe2f3d49273d58.png

19 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Oh man, it's been almost 20 years since I've played there, but it's the one hole of the course I do remember.  It was a beast! 

Come on back and play it again.  It hasn't gotten any easier!

Not "my" course, but I play it a fair amount. I don't think I've ever scored better than an 8 on this hole.
Par 5, 558 from the tips, for me it is usually around 500-520. Tee shot is over a huge ravine and I am usually aiming/hoping to hit the fat area past the trees on the right. It's about 230 to hit that spot. Long hitters probably wouldn't take driver unless they were playing the back tees. It's an visually intimidating tee shot for me. Once the fairway ends, it is a steep downhill to the creek and then back up to the second shot landing area which is narrow and slopes to the right, towards the creek. If you don't get to the fat part of the landing area, trying to figure out how to recover is a pain and likely has you aiming towards the creek. It seems like this hole plays pretty similar to the one Rob posted.
1501396632_RosesRun12.png.9d139da98e7d7902bebe2f3d49273d58.png
Oh yea, that hole is a pain. If you miss the exact fat of the landing area you need to pitch around the corner, then it's a long iron, or even fairway with little room for error if you're going at the green. If it's not a perfect drive just write down 6 or 7 at least.

Take Dead Aim

• Like 1

This one is too easy for me.  Although I haven’t played this course since 2003, it was our second “home” course in college when I played at LeMoyne.  It was formerly known at the time as The Links at Sunset Ridge but has since been sold and renamed.

It was nearly brand new at the time and most of the turf had not yet settled in.  Local rules would often allow us to play the ball up during Central New York’s unseasonably cool and wet spring.

So here it is, the one hole I would give coordinates to have the USAF delivery Daisy Cutter bombs from tee to green.

#7...a 625 yard, downhill dog leg right.  You tee off from the highest point on the course, where it is 90% into the wind.  Despite what looks like a docile tee shot, your final 115 yards into the green are framed by 30’ tall trees like a bowling alley. The green doesn’t have a single flat spot so don’t plan on tapping in that 3 footer unless you’ve given it a solid look.  

If your tee shot does not follow the perfect line off the tee, you’ll add another 50-75 yards of fun to the hole.  

The front finishes as Par 5, 3, 5 and if you end up going out in those three holes at even, you’ve done well.  

501D7878-42AD-4A4A-8C3F-F0A3AB94271F.jpeg

I have to say 15 at Jumeirah Golf Estates Earth  Course. It's an uphill 368 yard Par 4. There are bunkers everywhere and in order to be successful, you have to launch the ball to a landing area that is NOT a bunker. Not a lot of room for error as the landing areas are narrow. It may not be the hardest for everyone, but it has humbled me plenty of times!

Screen Shot 2019-06-12 at 9.42.23 AM.png

Posted (edited)

So when I subjectively think of my home course West Lothian I say 16th , 427 yard par 4 up hill and normally into the prevailing wind. I'm normally hitting 3w or 3h as my 2nd shot and find it a tough par. But then I looked at my Arccos stats and I play the 13th a lot worse. who'd had thought.

Capture.JPG

Edited by Alf. S