Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Chipping/putting around the green

I want to hear your thoughts on if you always putt no matter what if your close enough to the green or do you like to chip? I know there are a lot of factors (bunkers, rough lie, position of pin), but what is your go to? 

Unpopular opinion from what I’ve been told, but I like to get one of my wedges out and chip. I like the feel and can get it close to the hole for a lot of up and downs. Doesn’t mean I have an occasional blade/chunk, but it’s something I’m confident in. 

Cobra Connect 5 participant 

:ping-small:  G410 Plus, w/ X stiff 75 g Project X Evenflow Black shaft driver / :cobra-small: Radspeed w/ Smoke RDX Blue 70S shaft

:cobra-small: Big Tour 3 wood/ 5 wood w/ Fujikura X F3 60S shaft

:cobra-small: 4 Hybrid w/ Project X Catalyst 80S shaft

:cobra-small: Copper MIM Tour Irons w/ KBS $ Taper Balck 120S shaft

:cobra-small: Snakebite 50, 54, and 58 wedges w/ KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 125S shaft

:scotty-small: Newport 2.5 putter

:Snell:MTB X golf balls

RH, Alabama

I don't mind getting the putter out when I'm on the fringe. On the other hand, I like to try to get my chip close to the hole too so it really just depends on the moment. Good time to attempt to hole out or finish with a 1 putt........or blade it 20 ' passed the hole. 😬

:titleist-small: TSi3 10° w/ Mitsubishi Tensei 1K Black 65g

:titleist-small: TS2 15° 3W w/ Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 70g

:titleist-small: 818 H1 21° Hybrid w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 70g

:mizuno-small: MP-18 MMC 2 iron w/ KBS Tour C-Taper S 120g

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 HM 5-GW w/ Project X LZ 5.5 115g

:Sub70: JB Forged 54° & 58° w/ Project X LZ 6.0 120g

:EVNROLL: EV5.3 Black

I used to be the guy that had more faith in my chipping, even from the fringe, but when I did the Stroke Lab test last year I made a concerted effort to try to putt things when I normally wouldn't. The results showed I was consistently closer with the putter, even though the roll through the fringe/fairway is less predictable. I'm still not totally comfortable with it, but I do it anyway.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

I usually chip unless I'm only a foot or so on the fringe but what I've always been told is that a bad putt will be better than a bad chip.  Think that's pretty true.  

TM Sim2 Max  10.5

Ping G410 5 wood

Ping G410 7 & 9 woods 

PXG Gen 5 0311P  5-gap

PXG forged 54 & 58 wedges

PXG Operator H w/ BGT Stability shaft

As the OP said, its situational.  If I have just a foot or two of decent fairway-cut, I'll usually putt.  Much further than 8 or 10 feet, I'll almost always chip.  In between depends on conditions between me and the green.  And of course this general plan changes considerably when I travel to other parts of the country, or the world.  In the Pinehurst area, the turf is often much tighter, so I'll putt from much further away.  In Scotland or Ireland, I'm even more likely to use the putter from much further.  I hit a putt from about 60 yards on the Old Course once, and finished about 12 feet away.  That result would have been pretty much impossible with a lofted shot, it absolutely had to be rolling as it got close to the green.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I'd love to say that I chip it because it does seem like the right thing to do and it feels good to chip it close.  But what I've learned is that I'm consistently close if I putt whenever I can.

-elvis14, Hacker, Engineer, Dad, CG Camper, Co-Founder of From Your Neighbor

To me it comes down to what kind of lie I have. If I am just a foot off the green and the grass is fairly smooth between the ball and the green, I will putt it. If the ball has an very nice lie, I will chip it no matter what.

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

5 hours ago, Mtbryant01 said:

I want to hear your thoughts on if you always putt no matter what if your close enough to the green or do you like to chip? I know there are a lot of factors (bunkers, rough lie, position of pin), but what is your go to? 

Unpopular opinion from what I’ve been told, but I like to get one of my wedges out and chip. I like the feel and can get it close to the hole for a lot of up and downs. Doesn’t mean I have an occasional blade/chunk, but it’s something I’m confident in. 

Most important is you do what feels right.     It's your game, your score, etc. (unless you have an overbearing partner)  If the shot comes off, great, if it doesn't, oh well.

Last Tues I had the chip or putt scenario from greenside light rough,  did the higher percentage putt thing, had a BF and blasted the putt 15 ft. past the hole, terrible considering I was only 20 ft from the hole to start with.   After that all I could do was play the next shot.  That's all we can ever do.  Or go home.

Actually over the last two seasons I've been working hard on chipping and pitching and feel better chipping/pitching around the greens instead of defaulting to the putter.  For me I putt if the lie is tight or the grain is against, those are my weaknesses.

Edited by SlowNLow

I can and will do either depending on conditions.  However, I tend to chip mostly because I used to only putt.  When you don't chip, you will pay for it the next time when you HAVE to chip; e.g., a sprinkler head in the way.  I never felt comfortable chipping until I started to always do it.  Builds confidence.

That said, I will putt more often when I play an unfamiliar course... if conditions allow it.  I simply don't have the confidence chipping on unfamiliar grass, especially Bermuda!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

a sprinkler head in the way.

FYI we have a local rule that if a sprinkler head is in the way you can take relief.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I am generally going to chip in most cases.  Since short game is my weakness I like to torture myself;  I'll probably switch after I blade a few over the green.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

3 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I am generally going to chip in most cases.  Since short game is my weakness I like to torture myself;  I'll probably switch after I blade a few over the green.  

A blade is better than a chunk/shank into sand trap right?!

:ping-small:  G410 Plus, w/ X stiff 75 g Project X Evenflow Black shaft driver / :cobra-small: Radspeed w/ Smoke RDX Blue 70S shaft

RH, Alabama

6 minutes ago, Mtbryant01 said:

A blade is better than a chunk/shank into sand trap right?!

Depends,   Bladed balls can go far and can end up in sand traps. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I usually bump and run with a 7i, then I’ve watched a couple YouTube videos, couple by James Robinson lately that showed putting from all over tends to be more successful. Also watched few recommend using 5h with putting stroke. I’m looking forward to finally getting out Monday night and trying a few things out

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

DRIVER -  Ping G425 SFT Driver Tensei AV 55 Orange Reg Flex 

Woods -  Ping G425 7 wood  Tensei AV 65 Orange Reg Flex 

Irons - Cobra Rad Speed 1 Length UST Recoil 780 Smacwrap Graphite Reg Flex 

WEDGES-  Callaway jaws 52/56/60

PUTTER-  Taylormade FCG spider putter 34" 

BALL-  Pro V1x or Tp5X  -- trying to figure this one out.

Footjoy Tour S golf shoe 

27 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Depends,   Bladed balls can go far and can end up in sand traps. 

That last comment was more of a joke for myself saying at least I hit the ball and not the big ball first.

RH, Alabama

It's all about course conditions for me. Im typically a chipper but if the fringe is in good condition and mowed tight I'll putt up to about 2 feet off the green. I have confidence in my chipping thanks to a former co worker that was a scratch golfer at the time. I was new to golf and asked him to give me some lessons. I show up to the course with my full set of shiney new clubs. He told me to put them back in the trunk and come back with a putter and a wedge. For weeks it was chip and putt. He said some day I will thank him. It is one of the strongest parts of my game.

Thanks Phil.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

For me it comes down to distance or layout from the hole. I personally am awful at rolling putts outside of 40 feet so for me I feel more confident taking a wedge. It also is a mental thing to hit a crap putt from 40 then go up and putt again vs a wedge then a putt, at least i can change clubs. I also struggle with uphill putts but excel chipping into a hill so I choose wedge there also.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

We have a lady at my club that putts everything.  I've seen her putt from 20 feet off the green and get it close.  I've tried it; it's not that easy, and takes a lot of practice to get the speed right rolling through the fairway grass, fringe, and green.  Our fairway grass around the green is fairly smooth so it's doable.  She's not that good of a chipper when in the rough around the green, so I see why she putts.  If you do anything enough, you eventually get pretty good at it.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

The goal is to obtain the lowest score ... whatever works (legally) is fair game.  I have a friend who is a great chipper and never putts if he's off the green.  Others putt from far off the green because they can't chip worth a hoot.  I typically will chip unless I'm fairly close to the green and hole and feel a putt would serve me better than a missed chip.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

Depends on my confidence and conditions. If greens are slow and a lot of green to work with i would generally chip. Faster greens I would putt. I use the same the same putting stroke with my wedge and my putter and seem to have better luck with the wedge then my putter. Cause let’s face it me getting the ball in the hole from of the green is all luck and nothing to do with my skill haha

19 hours ago, Mtbryant01 said:

I actually prefer to chip around the green. Does depend on how much real estate I have to work with but prefer chipping (always more fun to drain a chip vs a putt)

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

15 hours ago, elvis14 said:

I'd love to say that I chip it because it does seem like the right thing to do and it feels good to chip it close.  But what I've learned is that I'm consistently close if I putt whenever I can.

The right thing to do is whatever gives you the best chance to score well.  Never make a decision based on what someone else says is the "right thing to do".

12 hours ago, tony@CIC said:

FYI we have a local rule that if a sprinkler head is in the way you can take relief.

There is actually a Model Local Rule for relief from Immovable Obstructions near the green.  It seems to be used more where conditions favor putts from off the green, Scotland in particular.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

it is very unlikely that I would putt from around the green.  I think it come from spending all my free time nipping balls from off my carpet seeing how I can manipulate spin with ball position and opening and closing club face. I would recommend putting for people who don't practice chipping around the green a lot. I never seem to put the correct weight on my putts from off the green either so maybe I just need to practice it more.  However the majority of my practice is done in my living room and yard so I am a product of my situation. 

I probably rely on chipping more than I should. But Last season I started using something like an 8 iron vs a wedge to just get a little lift before it starts rolling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

Short game is so much about feel that it will depend on what is feeling better that day. I may have my putting stroke working well or have great feel so chipping. I go with what feels right at the time.

I get a lot of looks for going to the putter around the greens, but I'm looking for the best chance to get the ball into or close to the hole. 

I've never been the greatest chipper, but I've done decently well from around the green with the putter. 

My Reviews:

2023 Official review - Rapsodo MLM2Pro!

2022 Official Review - Edel SMS Wedges

2021 Official Review - Tommy Armour Impact 3 Putter

2020 Official Member Review - BagBoy Chiller Cart Bag

Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme - Unofficial Review by xOldBenKenobiX

Honma TR21 4 Wood - Unofficial Review by xOldBenKenobiX

Driver - :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme 10.5, UST helium 5  Wood - :honma:TR21 4 Wood, Vizard 20-60  and TW GS 5 Wood Vixard FD 55  768205649_Screenshot2023-06-0213_28_25.png.53900da2fbc8d481e66d2a00ab6ac775.png 301 Combo 301CB and 301MB    231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png.6bd9ee8247ca1cc0415f39bf5fdfe313.png. SMS 48*, 56*, 60*   Putter: Lucky golf putter. Ball:  ::titelist-small:  ProV1, ::Arccos:: Smart Sensors. Shoes: a couple ::footjoy-small:: A couple of :nike-small: A couple of Adidas ,   Yeah I have a shoe addiction.::SuperSpeed:: Started at 79mph, finished 1st stage at 91mph

20200728_121856.jpg.9cf8a7d26ca1096e8d390a8c2f59b6c2.jpg

On 5/8/2020 at 1:04 PM, Mtbryant01 said:

Totally depends on the lie and hole location. I don't have a "go to" shot around the greens - I play what I think the situation calls for unless it's something I simply don't have confidence in. However, if it is only a couple inches off the green, I am more likely to putt.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour