Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Kirkland v2

brutal brutus

22 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

My ZX5 fitting data (6i) has my backspin at 4800 rpm (used PV1's) and Trackman combined averages list 5950 rpm.  My G410P/KBS TD driver averaged 1875 rpm and Trackman suggests something ~2600 rpm as optimal. So, does this suggest the Kirkland's additional spin are a good fit for me?

Sounds like you're benefiting from the extra spin! Last time I hit one, I watched it fly really high then climb then climb some more before kinda just floating, but not really going anywhere. Reminded me of a kite catching an updraft. Thing came straight down, about 10 yards short of what I would have expected.

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 LS MkII 9.5* (@ 9.0*) with 46.5" Ventus Blue 6X
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4hy: :titleist-small: TS3 23* with Tensei AV Blue 70 S
4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 55* :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Modus3 Tour 125
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)
Bag: :srixon-small: Ltd Edition Tartan, blue/green/yellow

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review
:OnCore:
 Vero X2 - Official Review

The Stack System - Official Review

I'd give up 10yds for knowing it was going to land in that spot...

Driver: :titelist-small: TSi3* 10° HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 60g 6.5 D2**

3 Wood: :titelist-small: TSi2 16.5° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g 6.5 A1**

Hybrids:  :titelist-small: TSi3* 20°  EvenFlow White 90HY 6.5X A1** 

:titelist-small: TSi2 24° HZRDUS Smoke Black 90HY 6.5 D4** 

Irons:  :titelist-small: 716 AP2 5-GW TT S300 (GW is S100) 

Wedges: :titelist-small: SM8 Jet Black 54°14F, 58°08M Wedge Flex

Putter: image.png.2cffbf846f1ed639b15f40483d11670d.png White Hot OG #7s

*All clubs with an adjustable weight, are set to neutral  **Hosel setting

Ball: Kirkland V2 or Chrome Soft Truvis Yellow

They seem to be popular on ebay, lol...

Recently sold list...kirkland golf balls | eBay

A dz went for $35(+$9 shipping) in an auction today, smh

...I wonder how that guy would feel if he knew he could have gotten a dozen off Amazon for $22.59 shipped if he had Prime 🤦‍♂️

Edited by brutal brutus

9 hours ago, brutal brutus said:

They seem to be popular on ebay, lol...

Recently sold list...kirkland golf balls | eBay

A dz went for $35(+$9 shipping) in an auction today, smh

...I wonder how that guy would feel if he knew he could have gotten a dozen off Amazon for $22.59 shipped if he had Prime 🤦‍♂️

For the original?   I looked on Amazon and they didn’t have the original 4 piece.   The original Kirkland was the ball they compared so favorably to the prov1 so it is a bit more desirable.   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

On 1/7/2022 at 4:06 PM, cnosil said:

Haven't heard the Cyclones team name in a while.  I was and Admirals season ticket holder until 2000 when they moved up to the A.   

Know about the ECHL as Chap I played with was an Official in the ECHL for a few years. He often said He should have stayed; got paid in USD & the Sun was Warmer in the Winter!!

Cheers. & Hit'em Straight!!

B

4 hours ago, cnosil said:

For the original?   I looked on Amazon and they didn’t have the original 4 piece.   The original Kirkland was the ball they compared so favorably to the prov1 so it is a bit more desirable.   

Didn't realize it was for the 4 piece lol.

• 1 month later...

Rick Shiels just posted a very positive video review of the Kirkland v2 balls. He reviewed for putting, chipping, iron play, driving, and durability. He compared it favorably to the Pro-V1 in all categories. He didn't say they were as good at all things, but very close. He was within 2 yards of his normal distance, and at a 110mph clubhead speed, that amounts to no real difference for those with closer to average swing speeds. 

Edited by LICC

4 hours ago, LICC said:

Rick Shiels just posted a very positive video review of the Kirkland v2 balls. He reviewed for putting, chipping, iron play, driving, and durability. He compared it favorably to the Pro-V1 in all categories. He didn't say they were as good at all things, but very close. He was within 2 yards of his normal distance, and at a 110mph clubhead speed, that amounts to no real difference for those with closer to average swing speeds. 

Just saw the video too. Very excited to try these out on my round this weekend. Received a few sleeves as stocking stuffers. Will follow up later. 

Driver: Nike VRS Covert

Wood: Nike VRS Covert 3 Wood

Irons: Nike Vapor Pro 3, Nike VR Pro Cavity 4-PW

Wedges: Nike SV Tour 52, 56, 60

Putter: Nike Ignite 001

20 hours ago, LICC said:

I think a big takeaway from Rick's video that doesn't necessarily conflict with MGS's opinion that it is a niche ball is that it is an incredible value. When you're getting that kind of performance from a ball that comes out to a third or fourth of the price, it's a ball that I'd at least recommend people try out and form their own opinions on. 

BUT, there were also some funny moments in the video. 

• Rick calling it a pretty low spinning ball. 
  • Because it was so cheap, Rick cut into 4 of them to test consistency whereas with more expensive balls in the past he's only cut into 1. 
  • His comparison of it to a ProV1.
  • What came across as his genuine shock between his reviews of these balls and the Cobra set. Costco's actually a really intelligent business entity and they've invested well into having less expensive but still good quality items. 

Rag tag bag, but it does the job. 

Taylormade R1 driver.

Ping G400 3 wood.

Cleveland Halo Launcher 3 hybrid.

Cleveland CBX launcher irons (5-PW). 

Assorted wedges (48, 52, 58).

Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 putter.

10 hours ago, MNUte said:

I think a big takeaway from Rick's video that doesn't necessarily conflict with MGS's opinion that it is a niche ball is that it is an incredible value.

... What I also find even more interesting is his review of basically the same ball in 2020 that was very different and much more in line with MGS. I can add the new V2 spins waaaaay too much for me, is shorter off the tee by at least 10yds and has poor durability. And I have said in the past if you are a low spin player, have a slower swing speed or inconsistent and just love a bargain the Kirklands are an incredible value.  

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

Interesting that he saw low spin on driver, these are typically the highest spinning urethane balls and have been holding them back on driver distance in the past. Think that they are a great value for the $ for those looking for a deal but don’t think this video convinced me they are on the same level as others yet.

22 hours ago, chisag said:

... What I also find even more interesting is his review of basically the same ball in 2020 that was very different and much more in line with MGS. I can add the new V2 spins waaaaay too much for me, is shorter off the tee by at least 10yds and has poor durability. And I have said in the past if you are a low spin player, have a slower swing speed or inconsistent and just love a bargain the Kirklands are an incredible value.  

10 yards? That is a very big gap and I would think you would need extremely fast club head speed for that gap. 
Are you sure it was the same balls from 2020. I think Kirkland came out with a new version three piece ball last year?

3 hours ago, LICC said:

10 yards? That is a very big gap and I would think you would need extremely fast club head speed for that gap. 
Are you sure it was the same balls from 2020. I think Kirkland came out with a new version three piece ball last year?

... I am only around 95-98mph as measured in my fitting a week ago. With the high spin, the original ball had a very steep AOD and I got very little roll so it can be even shorter than 10 yds. The V2 didn't seem to be much different for me although I did not do the kind of ball to ball testing I did with the original. My mid irons spin the Kirkland more than any ball I have played and it just isn't good fit for my game. Ymmv 

14 hours ago, RanMan said:

Sure, after watching Rick Shields and his glowing review yes I went right on down to Costco and bought a box.   My take?  Hard as in 94 compression, but to me very close to pro v 1.  They are worth the price/

I remember when 90 was the standard compression ball. Times have changed. 

On 2/18/2022 at 9:48 AM, LICC said:

It is a new ball. 

On 2/17/2022 at 11:07 AM, chisag said:

It was a different ball. 

2 hours ago, 63to69 said:

It was a different ball. 

... Nope. Same ball. Original Kirkland is the "Tour Performance" and the second ball and V2 are the "Performance +"

1093753474_Kirklandcomparison.JPG.ee0dc1d92b0836f22b0098d19a87d74f.JPG

20 hours ago, chisag said:

... Nope. Same ball. Original Kirkland is the "Tour Performance" and the second ball and V2 are the "Performance +"

I think he means Rick Shiels reviewed a different ball in the older video. 

21 minutes ago, LICC said:

I think he means Rick Shiels reviewed a different ball in the older video. 

... Both balls Shiels reviewed are the Kirkland Performance +. 

On 2/19/2022 at 9:16 AM, CarlT said:

Just for perspective, I played a round on a foggy day with a range ball. Didn’t want to lose a “good” ball. 
Shot 78. 
🙄

Man don't laugh--- I knew a guy in the 70s who was a high dollar gambler and I am not talking a $100 or $500 Nassau either. He played whatever balls he found. He would replace a balata one when it got out of round. But the early Surlyn covered balls like the Golden Rams and Top Flite he would play one until the writing was wore off. He never lost a ball. He was not peculiar about the brand either. He had like 3 shag bags full of them in the trunk of his car. He even played several times in the Vegas Shootout with old golf balls. He could flat out play too. 

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

On 2/19/2022 at 1:32 PM, chisag said:

Just for my personal edification-- Does the new ball perform like the original one? I have always respected your observations and opinions--- I know when the original ones came out we could not get them in SC. One of my buds on WRX that you "know" sent me a sleeve. I was basically impressed with the distance and the spin around the greens. In fact if you dig back on here in the original Kirkland postings I questioned the legality of the ball. And I know the history on the original ones. Really I was curious. Right now I am tied in with Srixon so to speak because I have won so many the last 2 years. LOL did a car trunk inventory yesterday. I have like 4 doz Q Stars 2 doz Z stars 3 doz Soft Feels and like 2 15 ball packs of the Srixon Marathon. In addition to 3 doz Pro Vs some new some used and a dozen used assorted Vice. LOl one of my buds called and came by wanting me to slip a grip on yesterday. He got here when I was doing my inventory. Of course my S-500 has a trunk big enough to haul Jimmy Hoffa and 2 of his close associates. With all the balls and clubs he said I had a rolling pro shop. Man I thought about it I am getting just like my old man. My bud remarked good thing that Benz has automatic air ride suspension

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

5 hours ago, BIG STU said:

Just for my personal edification-- Does the new ball perform like the original one? I know when the original ones came out we could not get them in SC.

... Completely different balls. The original was perhaps the longest urethane ball I have played. On course testing it was always a hair longer than anything I put up against it. Excellent with irons and short game spin. There is a reason they sold out the days they were released. I still have one dozen. AS you may know, they released another version in a Gold Box that was also an excellent performer but the covers were separating from the mantle layer and they refunded your purchase price and let you keep the balls. But again for me, the current model is short off the tee and a little shorter with irons due to very high spin. It is very good around the green. I play with many high index or older Ams that need more spin and this ball can be a game changer for them. 

4 hours ago, chisag said:

... Completely different balls. The original was perhaps the longest urethane ball I have played. On course testing it was always a hair longer than anything I put up against it. Excellent with irons and short game spin. There is a reason they sold out the days they were released. I still have one dozen. AS you may know, they released another version in a Gold Box that was also an excellent performer but the covers were separating from the mantle layer and they refunded your purchase price and let you keep the balls. But again for me, the current model is short off the tee and a little shorter with irons due to very high spin. It is very good around the green. I play with many high index or older Ams that need more spin and this ball can be a game changer for them. 

Thanks> One of my sometimes Scramble Partners (original team) plays them and swears by them even though he has as darn near as many Srixon balls as I have. He really does decent no longer than he has been playing. He has only been playing like 3 years. I have found a couple of them on the course (probably his) and may play them in a practice round when the tourons all go home and I can get a tee time again. Actually I am calling BS on myself on that statement. I can as a member get a tee time but do not want to spend 5 hrs plus on a round of golf

G

Have not tried the V2 yet but will be picking up a box next trip in to the big smoke. My attitude is that if they are 90-95% as good as the current ball I game then I and most golfers will never notice the difference. When I was on a <5 handicap I potentially could get the most out of a ball but today I simply do not have the consistency in my swing and therefore I am happy when the ball goes close to where I hoped it would. 

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Degree

Callaway Epic Flash 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Apex 21 Hybrid 19 Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 4-AW Irons

Cleveland 54 Degree Wedge Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway

Cobra Vintage Series Stingray 40

Preferred ball - Seed 001

On 12/31/2021 at 2:45 PM, ChuckZ said:

My handicap has been on a steady incline and not because of the golf ball I play, but because of my swing.  Have been working hard on it and will not cheat myself by buying cheap golf balls.  Prov1's for me.  Like the distance, spin and accuracy.  Something I can count on.  I buy mine in the spring when Titleist runs their buy three and get one free program.  At 75 can still hit the ball off the driver (TSI3) at 93mph and on a good day it will travel around 250.  Do not think the Kirkland ball can match that.  Sorry.  16 handicapper.  Lessons paying off, shot an 81 this morning on a super hard course.    

And, you’re modest too! 

11 hours ago, Firebird said:

Have not tried the V2 yet but will be picking up a box next trip in to the big smoke. My attitude is that if they are 90-95% as good as the current ball I game then I and most golfers will never notice the difference. When I was on a <5 handicap I potentially could get the most out of a ball but today I simply do not have the consistency in my swing and therefore I am happy when the ball goes close to where I hoped it would. 

I do not swing hard enough to crack an egg now---- I had won quite a few of the Srixon Marathon balls which is a cheaper 2 piece ball. I had played them some in practice rounds and really from what they are they perform well for me. I have no trouble with spin because due to me hitting a trap cut by design I can spin anything including range rocks. On the short game side around our course I play a lot of bump and runs with an 8 iron or a 5 iron basically because of course conditions and design. There spin makes no difference. That ball putts ok too. I guess you read the "ball inventory" from just my car not counting the shop. I do not see me actually buying any balls for a while. For me today if I honestly had to buy balls with where my game is now it would be the 15 ball packs of Marathons, the Vice balls at Wally World or Kirkland. Now days for me I do not play comp or high dollar matches so at this stage of life or the game of golf I do not see it making any difference for me. I do not loose many balls and play them basically into the ground. LOL I do not hit if far enough to loose them anymore. 

Will tell you a funny one concerning Golf Balls. Like I said I have won a lot of Marathon balls and I play them in practice rounds and even knock them around some with my persimmon woods. The atmosphere at my course is really relaxed and fun and there is always some kind of joke going. The Srixon rep hangs around quite a bit too. Now both of our pros are also the co owners too along with some investors. One day after a practice round one of the owners was in the clubhouse having adult beverages along with the Srixon rep. I will add in the summer when it is hot and dry the course can get rough. Anyhow I had a Marathon that I had played 36 holes maybe 45. It was as rough as a night in the county jail. I walked into the bar and flipped that poor thing at the rep. Told him that I had won a 15 pack of them Saturday. Told him that him and Srixon ought to be embarrassed to sell a cheap POS like that and then started in on the owner about giving away POS balls for Shootout prizes. Now remember both owners have known and played golf with me for 20 years and yes they know me well. The Pro did not bat an eye and asked how many rounds I had played with that ball? I told him either 2 or 3. He said thought so and then posed the question " honestly how many people around there could play a ball that long without loosing it?" LOL he had a point. He told the bartender give Stuey a Pepsi because he knows I do not normally drink adult beverages anymore. I had the Srixon rep Mark going because he does not know me that well. He said I must be one hell of a ball striker. I told him naah never have been. Told him to step outside and look at the black faced FC-4000 Mac Irons I had played that day. The show ball marks well especially if you do not clean them after every shot. Yeah ball marks all over the faces as norm with me always has been. We went back inside and I flipped him the ball and told him use this to show how well this ball holds up even here in the summer at this course. I did a good deal he gave me two 3 ball sleeves. Which my pro remarked "there you go there is enough balls for you to play for a month" 

Edited by BIG STU

G

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got out for a round yesterday and I'm liking these balls more and more. They have tremendous stopping power on the greens(especially noticeable on chip shots) but at the same time, I don't really notice any loss of distance off the tee like some have stated. Maybe it's because I didn't start playing them until late fall/early winter? We all lose a bit of distance as the air temps fall.

One thing I have noticed, and maybe it's just the shaggy greens on this particular course(it is known for having some of, if not the slowest, greens in town), but they don't seem to gel with the blue insert that's in my Ping G2i Craz-E putter... I have left many, many putts well short of the cup.

I would hate to have to get a new putter just because I like the way these play everywhere else on the course...

Edited by brutal brutus