SkyTrak Golf Launch Monitor Review

Tinkering

Would like some more information on where you believe spin numbers are off.  That's one of the things I thought was pretty dead on and it proved out against a flightscope (though it was only 4 swing with the same club so that may not prove or disprove what you are talking about).

It is a known problem that their mid iron spin numbers are off. V1.8.5 is supposed to fix that. I've notived a few shots get up around 11k spin and the occasional flight conflict (shows a draw but I hit a fade).

I used it for roughly two hours last night from before sunset to when they had the range lit and it was exceptional. I was truly impressed with its ability to pick up 9i through driver on every single swing. It had no missed shots...none. And I would say out of 120 shots it may have had the spin axis off twice. Now that I have used the unit 4 times I am becomming much better at setting it up quickly and accurately. I would have had no problem using the numbers from last night in swing analysis or club fittings. In fact I was using lead tape to adjust swing weights at one point and it allowed me to immediately see results and adjust each club through driver for optimal numbers. Yardages were compared to range signs which I have hit with a rangefinder in the past, and they were easily within a couple yards on all reasonably struck shots. I had my first really good range session using the unit, and that certainly seems to help it pick up good numbers (which makes sense).

• TM M1 430 w/ Speeder 757 X

TM Jetspeed w/ Fuji X 13.5*

TM UDI w/ Recoil 120 F4 21*

TM 2011 TP MBs 4-pw X100ti

TM EF Spin 52*/ATV

TM EF Spin 58*/ATV

TM Ghost Tour Black Monte Carlo

Pro V1

Snakebit

Looking forward to your final review.  Thanks for posting.

I'm still eagerly awaiting the v1.8.5 update to do the final review with screenshots and possibly some video (video has proved difficult as I'm usually by myself and its tough to get the iPad screen to show up well) I think I may video from behind while also videoing the iPad)

But it will be done by next weekend for sure!

TM EF Spin 52*/ATV

TM EF Spin 58*/ATV

Pro V1

Interesting....  the other forum I am on that has a lot of info, people seem to think the mid-range distances are off, but I have not noticed any talk about the spin.  I have never had a spin number like you referenced.  Maybe I missed something somewhere. 

I will keep on the lookout for it, but spin is one of the numbers I pay a lot of attention to. 

Thanks for the work you are doing. 

WITB:
Driver Ping Anser 8.5 deg Diamana 'ahina X
3 Wood Adams LS Stock S or TM 14 deg MiniDriver stock S
Irons Ben Hogan FW 15 KBS Tour V S
Wedges Ben Hogan TK 15 KBS Tour V S
Putter Nike Method Concept
Launch Monitor: SkyTrak

Play Right-handed

I apologize for no update on the review as promised. My aunt died suddenly so things have been a little hectic around here. I will likely get to it before this next weekend. The v1.8.5 update did not get to me before I had to send the unit back, so I will give my final thoughts based on my last two sessions with the unit that I had not previously talked about.

TM EF Spin 52*/ATV

TM EF Spin 58*/ATV

Pro V1

• 5 months later...

SnakeBit any further info on this? I am looking to purchase one and was wondering what you final thoughts are

Ping G410 LST 10.5 set -1* Flat Accra TZ5 65 M5

Callaway Epic Flash 15* set -1 Aldila ATX Blue 75TX

Ben Hogan FT Worth Hi 19* KBS Tour V X

Ben Hogan PTX Pro 4-P KBS Tour V X 2* Flat 4* loft increments

Hogan Equalizer 50* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 X 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 56* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 62* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

EVNROLL ER7 P2 Aware Tour
Scotty Cameron Newport2 Buttonback P2 Aware Tour Grip
Snell MTB-X

Post your questions.  I own one and will answer them to the best of my ability.  I will say this, that the software app has been upgraded to make it pretty easy to do a club comparison.

• Like 1

WITB:

Play Right-handed

Mike have you compared yours to other monitors to see how close the numbers are?

Snell MTB-X

Quite a while ago, I had compared it to a Flightscope during a lesson.  over 8-10 shots the measured data was extremely close (spin, horizontal launch angle, vertical launch angle, ball speed). Everything was within an immaterial difference in my opinion.

At the time, the distances (calculated - not measured) were a little off, but SkyTrak has done a lot of subsequent work in refining its algorithms.  And while I have not tested it side by side again, I believe the carry distances are pretty good in the latest software.

• Like 1

WITB:

Play Right-handed

awesome thanks for the info they have a pretty good sale going right now

Snell MTB-X

For anyone who owns or is considering a purchase, SkyTrak is in beta testing with simulator software (WGT) and it is getting pretty good reviews.

So, by the time the snow flies here in Michigan I expect to be able to use my SkyTrak as a simulator and play indoor golf on it. 

Also, right now, and I don't know for how long, the Ipad/Iphone version of WGT can be used with SkyTrak to play par 3 closest to the pin challenge  - I don't know all of the particulars so just throwing what I do know out there.

If anyone is interested, PM me and I will give you a link to the forum that I got the information on.

• Like 1

WITB:

Play Right-handed

• 1 year later...

MIke,

I recently joined this site and enjoyed reading your review.  I posted a question in the gadgets,training aid forum about skytrak.  I have had one about a year and have not felt totally comfortable with a lot of their numbers.  Specifically cluhead spped vs ball speed and smash factor.  If you get a second please take a look at my post and let me know if you have any thoughts or suggestions.

Appreciate you,

Jeff

• 7 months later...

I have had the Skytrak system with iPad for about a year now. It's great.

I recently took it and compared with a pro flightscope with one of our resident pros. He was impressed given the disparity in cost. The difference per shot was under 5% on most parameters, and over a 10-20 shot range the averages were almost identical. A great bit of kit for improvement your game.

Also use it to play at home using The Golf Club game and this is brilliant. Pretty much any course in the world and can generally play the course that the of A tour are playing each week.

Highly recommended.

• Like 2

As a great tutor once said, 'Take dead aim.'Kit: Taylor made M2 driver 9.5, 3w 15 & 3 hybrid 19, Ping crossover 3iron, pxg 0311 irons 5 through to wedge, Taylormade 50 & 60 wedges, Titleist vokey sm6 56 wedge, Scotty Cameron select Newport 2.5 putter, ball - Vice Pro +, Range / practice kit - skytrak and ipad.

I have had the Skytrak system with iPad for about a year now. It's great.

I recently took it and compared with a pro flightscope with one of our resident pros. He was impressed given the disparity in cost. The difference per shot was under 5% on most parameters, and over a 10-20 shot range the averages were almost identical. A great bit of kit for improvement your game.

Also use it to play at home using The Golf Club game and this is brilliant. Pretty much any course in the world and can generally play the course that the of A tour are playing each week.

Highly recommended.

My neighbor has one setup in his garage. Haven't tested it out yet though. Good to know that it's close to the more expensive systems.

MDGolfHacker

What's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :cobra-small: F8 9.5° Project X Even Flow Blue 65g shaft 

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 5W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Hybrid: :titelist-small: 816H2 19°

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1X

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro

Social Media:

Facebook:   md golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Currently Testing:  2021:titelist-small: T200's (https://forum.mygolfspy.com/tests/19-test-in-progress-titleist-t-series-irons/?do=findReview&review=38)

Curious if anyone has tried a dimpled foam golf ball with Skytrack?  I don't expect it to be as accurate but if I can get an idea about quality of shot this would be enough.

I have been thinking about one for a few months and would be great outside hitting into a net in the summer.  Winter months are more of a problem.  The only area I have enough height to swing in my house is the entrance way.  Can not use a net but I can close some doors and hit foam balls into a couple of them.  It would make it much more worthwhile if I can use it year round.

Driver - Callaway Rogue Draw

Woods - Callaway Rogue 5 wood

Hybrid - Titleist TS2 21 degree

Irons - Taylormade P790 5-PW

Wedges - Ping Glide 2.0 52-56-60

Putter - Mizuno Black Carbon BC3

Has anyone messed around with the other aspects of Skytrack beside just a range session?  I was curious on how people feel the course simulations are and if there are any other "games" to play on it.  For example, GC Quad has FX skill challenge and a Zombie game I believe.

Driver: Taylormade SIM2
3 Wood: Taylormade SIM
3 Utility Iron: Srixon U85
4i – AW: Taylormade P760
SW: Vokey SM7 M Grind
LW: Cleveland RTX 4 X-Low
Putter: Ping Vault Oslo

I'll get on it with a dimpled foam ball and revert back

• Like 1

As a great tutor once said, 'Take dead aim.'Kit: Taylor made M2 driver 9.5, 3w 15 & 3 hybrid 19, Ping crossover 3iron, pxg 0311 irons 5 through to wedge, Taylormade 50 & 60 wedges, Titleist vokey sm6 56 wedge, Scotty Cameron select Newport 2.5 putter, ball - Vice Pro +, Range / practice kit - skytrak and ipad.

Has anyone messed around with the other aspects of Skytrack beside just a range session? I was curious on how people feel the course simulations are and if there are any other "games" to play on it. For example, GC Quad has FX skill challenge and a Zombie game I believe.

It has a few other games to play with friends. An accuracy game that yardage and closeness can be adjusted.

The games that can be linked to it to play actual golf courses are good. Only downside was putting not great but gave 5ft gimmies to speed the game up. (If only this was allowed on real golf courses!)

• Like 1

I'll get on it with a dimpled foam ball and revert back

That would be great.  Thank you.

Driver - Callaway Rogue Draw

Woods - Callaway Rogue 5 wood

Hybrid - Titleist TS2 21 degree

Irons - Taylormade P790 5-PW

Wedges - Ping Glide 2.0 52-56-60

Putter - Mizuno Black Carbon BC3

• 1 month later...

Has anyone messed around with the other aspects of Skytrack beside just a range session?  I was curious on how people feel the course simulations are and if there are any other "games" to play on it.  For example, GC Quad has FX skill challenge and a Zombie game I believe.

Skytrak has a handicap skills assessment (shameless plug below to my youtube channel that i do them and upload them to) they also have target practice that you can do multiplayer between two people, a longest drive and a closest to the pin, thats all through skytrak itself. It also has simulation with E6, JNPG, TGC, CreativeGolf3d, some kind of fitness golf where you walk/run on a treadmill then hit on courses and i think one other. I have TGC bought the lifetime membership recently and its just been awesome. They have a tour that guys over at golfsimulatorforum.com take care of i believe and play weekly courses that are playing on tour almost every week. great community of guys that take care of things. I think skytrak is just an awesome unit, i have had mine for what will be a year in june (got it on the fathers day sale which should be coming back around here shortly) sorry if somebody else responded to you before i got with ya.

https://youtu.be/OkUaz_C1UBU

• Like 1

Taylormade Aeroburners Stiff Shat +1 Inch in length Standard Lie

Callaway XR 16 Pro 10.5 degree Stiff Shaft

Right-handed golfer here

KC, MO

22 Handicap

Skytrak User and on the TGC Tour! Look me up (same username)

• 2 weeks later...

I bought my SkyTrak last year as well - head's up, the "Father's Day Sale" is open and they're currently offering $300 off the regular price.

That's the deal I got last year and I've been very happy with the performance of this unit.

I had some friends over, who were skeptical about the accuracy, so we set-up some Par 3 Contests.

They all chose their clubs that they'd normally hit on the range.  The distances were spot-on!!

When you blade on, it shows...hit one fat, yep loss in yardage.  If you know your game well enough and can tell from the feel when you slice or hook - then you know the SkyTrak gives you reliable feedback and shot flight indication.  The early models had software issues, but the latest version (v3.1.1) are bug-free and accurate!

If you're in the market for your own launch monitor, get one now!  My profession is an Engineer and I never buy anything without doing thorough research.

If you want all the stats, to include back and side-spin - and don't want to get out a small bank loan to put this together, then the SkyTrak is for you.

-- P.J.

v3_practice1_900x675.jpg

• Like 2

:taylormade-small: SIM2 Max Driver
image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.png Rogue 3W

image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.png Rogue 4Hybrid
:taylormade-small: M6 irons
:mizuno-small: MP-T7 wedges
:EVNROLL: ER7 Putter
:Snell: "MTB-X" Golf Ball
:Clicgear: 3.5+ Cart

:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9 HD Pro Rangefinder