Regional Combined Introduction Threads Read more... ×
Spy Chat: The Hall of Fame for MGS Read more... ×
WardenGolf

Do you actually use your 3-Wood?

I've still got my Callaway 816 3-wood, and have really been hitting the snot out of it.

It's set at 15° and I probably hit it 4-6 times a round. 240 is a great shot for me, couldn't imaging a 275 like a shank or Jukes.

But it usually is a great second shot on long 5's.

I'd look at the F8's, but the 816 is still solid. Kinda like the 815 hybrids, hard to throw out when they still get the job done...

It to the point, 3-Woods are very Important in my bag...

• Like 1

240 is a great shot for me, couldn't imaging a 275 like a shank or Jukes.

Now I'm getting pissed.

There was no time in my life....40,  even 30 years old, when a relatively straight 215 yard fairway wood shot didn't put a satisfied smirk on my face. 

It didn't seem that I needed to be wearing a tutu on the course based on what my buddies were doing.  Obviousuly, I wasn't running with the big dogs.  Not on the golf course, at least. 

• Like 2

I've still got my Callaway 816 3-wood, and have really been hitting the snot out of it.

It's set at 15° and I probably hit it 4-6 times a round. 240 is a great shot for me, couldn't imaging a 275 like a shank or Jukes.

But it usually is a great second shot on long 5's.

I'd look at the F8's, but the 816 is still solid. Kinda like the 815 hybrids, hard to throw out when they still get the job done...

It to the point, 3-Woods are very Important in my bag...

I have the 816 heads in 14 and 18 degree lofts. I have found that anything below 17 degrees was just diminishing returns. Maybe a little more roll out, but carry distance was the same and the higher loft had a little better launch and consistency.

i sold my Ping G30 last spring as It was horrible for my game. Wwnt went an XRpro 16 and it is turning in to a real joy to hit off the tee and fairway. I average 245 off the tee and starting to get real consistent.

• Like 1

My 3 wood is an absolute weapon! It's more accurate than my driver, and I only lose about 20m using it. I like having it as my sleeper weapon in the bag, and I can hit it longer than some people hit driver!

My 3 wood is my go to club when I start to struggle with the driver. I know if I chunk a drive the 3 wood can save me a makeup shot

I do like my 3-wood, but I find it is a situational club for me. Some courses I play I won't even carry it with me, because the odds of me needing it are low (two of my favourite courses are under 6,000 yards). I also find that, as with most hybrids, it tends to be pretty draw-biased and that can be trouble for a good ole hooker like me. 

I would definitely get more mileage out of a well fitted driving iron for narrow par 4's and then anything over 215. I have a hybrid but I need to get fit into one with a more fade bias to keep myself from hooking. So basically, I should go buy two new clubs..... and then I have to make sure I good proper gapping, so there's those new Mizuno irons...

I don't use my 3-wood a lot, but when I do I hit some real worm burners.  As a newer golfer I still top a lot of shots and I have a hard time getting the ball in the air with it.  I do much better with my 18* 5-wood, which is one of my favorite clubs in the bag.  I can hit the 5 off the deck 150-170 yards, which for me is long. 

I have a 3w and 5w. Was hitting both really well at the beginning of the year off of the tee. I hit my 3w 260 and 5w 240. Works out nicely when playing the back tees and avoiding bunkers/trouble. Mostly go exclusively to them when hitting my driver poorly and want to find the fairway. Need to work on both off the deck.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using MyGolfSpy mobile app