Regional Combined Introduction Threads Read more... ×
Spy Chat: The Hall of Fame for MGS Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Pgutzgolf

Titleist AVX - Thoughts?

I gave my dad one of the AVX's to try out, and he loves it. He enjoys the flight and feel, but not the price. We'll have to try and get them on a discounted rate second-hand.

I got a deal on a couple of dozen of these. The killer for me is that every long putt I hit seemed to be a foot short. Conditions have been much softer than normal the last couple of months but side by side against the V1X on the practice green they came up short.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

I have been playing AVX for the last few months off and on but I think it is going to be my ball of choice moving forward. I found the flight off the driver to be marginally lower and a bit longer off the middle irons. I have had no issues at all with spin into greens - generally stop and drop. The main difference from the other ball I play (TP5x) is spin around the green and feel with the AVX feeling considerably softer but doesn't check quite as much as the TP5x. What's interesting is that from say 50 yards - I can't tell much difference in the spin but as I get around the greens the AVX doesn't spin as much. It's not terrible, just different. One of the main reasons I am switching is the way it holds in the wind. I live in Oklahoma and it's basically ALWAYS windy here. 15-25 mph is quite common so having a ball that handles the wind well is paramount. The jury is still out but so far, so good. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mdumble21 said:

I gave my dad one of the AVX's to try out, and he loves it. He enjoys the flight and feel, but not the price. We'll have to try and get them on a discounted rate second-hand.

wait for one of those days where eBay has a 15-20% any item deal. I got a dozen for $39

I actually really like the AVX a LOT.  The ProV lines have always spun too much for me but the AVX is perfect.  I never thought I'd go back to paying full boat for a ball retail again, but I've bought 6 dozen of these and love them.  I've been playing really well lately as well so that doesn't hurt either.

15 hours ago, Joker said:

wait for one of those days where eBay has a 15-20% any item deal. I got a dozen for $39

Yeah, that was my plan too. I know a few discount golf ball websites that offer 50% discounts for excellent quality balls.