tchat07

At Home Practice Set Up

I am curious to hear from everyone what you all use at home for practice. If you use turf by who? If you use a net by who? Other training aids etc?

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I don't do any home practice anymore. But... if you're looking for a mat consider a Real Feel - Country Club mat. IMO they are the best on the market for all reasons. I have owned one for quite a few years. It's been outdoors both protected and unprotected and to this day shows no ill effects. These mats are expensive. But in the world of mats you definitely get what you pay for.

• Like 2

I just swing about 100 swings a day in the living room, with no pad...and yes, the wife gets a little upset when I swipe the new carpet. I typically head to the driving range for lunch most days, if it's at least 45 degrees or more.

• Like 2

I do a breif stretch,I use a resistant band I step on it with my left foot and first I grip it with left hand and make swings hard as I can and do it 10 times then I use right arm and then I do both

Next I use either my orange whip or weighted momentus and make 10 swings

Next I use my iron medicus and make 10 swings without it breaking

The I got 3 different irons in the bag about 10 balls

I do this at least 3 times but 5 times a week sometimes when I'm watching TV like a basketball game or football

My set up is I converted a two car garage into my office half of it and the other half is a man cave with couch TV and going bay , my net is actual two of those black cargo covers from online but I've seen them at harbor freight but I got a bigger one which was Overkill lol,I installed it by using screw in hooks in the ceiling and measured the eyelets in the tarp to hang it pretty simple but effective, I use a mat that is the kind you can stick a tee in it to get driver, it's pretty tall stuff I got it on eBay from that guy that sales them for 129.99 I believe it's been there for 2 years and does not show any signs of wear, it looks so real my Dogg needs on it the first day I see it up lol

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I have an old mat from a driving range that I will using for chipping and short pitches to avoid tearing up the backyard. Indoors I chip with almostgolf balls.  

I spend most time practicing putting since it is easy to do while watching TV.  I have a startline training aid to work on starting the ball on my intended line.  I'll throw in some rulers to check forward and back stroke length and sleeves of balls to work on path.  I'll also setup rulers and targets to work on posture and vision.  

• Like 2

I don't do any home practice anymore. But... if you're looking for a mat consider a Real Feel - Country Club mat. IMO they are the best on the market for all reasons. I have owned one for quite a few years. It's been outdoors both protected and unprotected and to this day shows no ill effects. These mats are expensive. But in the world of mats you definitely get what you pay for.

Agree on the reel feel mat. I went the bargain route and bought a strip of the reel feel mat for just 35 bucks and use a lesser expensive mat to stand on. My goal will be to build a platform at some point and cut and insert out for the reel feel but just haven’t done that yet.
I hit into a rukket golf net which does a good job so far and has a pretty good warranty should anything go wrong.
Next on the agenda is a launch monitor of some sort but would really want simulator capabilities so maybe if I can find a pre owned sky trak for a good price.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 3

Agree on the reel feel mat. I went the bargain route and bought a strip of the reel feel mat for just 35 bucks and use a lesser expensive mat to stand on. My goal will be to build a platform at some point and cut and insert out for the reel feel but just haven’t done that yet.
I hit into a rukket golf net which does a good job so far and has a pretty good warranty should anything go wrong.
Next on the agenda is a launch monitor of some sort but would really want simulator capabilities so maybe if I can find a pre owned sky trak for a good price.

Which rukket net version do you have?

Building my at home practice area slowly but surely. I picked up a Real Feel strip like juspoole, a while back and planned on building a platform. But, I never got around to it and ended up buying a full size range mat. I’ve considered cutting out a section in the 5x5 and dropping the Real Feel mat in, just don’t know if I want to do that yet. Probably going to pick up a Rukket net next and hopefully save up and get a SkyTrak next year.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, tchat07 said:

Which rukket net version do you have?

I've got the 7 x 10 version.  I think it retails for $130 but got it over black Friday for around $90.

It seems like several of us have the same idea with the Skytrak.  I was curious to get thoughts on when/if it might go on sale.  I can't recall exactly when it launched, but I believe it's been at least 2 years if not longer.  

• Like 1

I've got the 7 x 10 version.  I think it retails for $130 but got it over black Friday for around $90.
It seems like several of us have the same idea with the Skytrak.  I was curious to get thoughts on when/if it might go on sale.  I can't recall exactly when it launched, but I believe it's been at least 2 years if not longer.  
I think the only way itll go on sale is if they release a newer version or if the have a preowned program.

My putting station!20190222_221035.jpeg.2dfad6fb8792308c63cfbe31d032091d.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

That looks high level, what do you think of it so far?

That looks high level, what do you think of it so far?

Really enjoy it so far. The mirror has helped with my eye line immensely. I didn't realize how much I hunched over ball with my eyes way outside the line. The mat rolls well and stores away nicely without losing form. It's been -34 degree celcius the last few days here.... so getting alot if practice in!

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I'm going to have to invest in one of those mats, I have a putting strip with the hole and return in my "office" but I always just sit my PuttOut on it and use it instead

• Like 2

I have a net return in my third garage stall and it blows away any net I have owned.  Tried a couple others in the past that are either difficult to assemble or return the ball too fast.  Downside- Net Return are expensive.  Save your money and frustration and get the Net Return.  I  also own a Real Feel Golf mat 5' x 5'.  Best mat I have owned.  Both of these products have been used for over 4 years during winter months by myself and 2 kids and they are still going strong.  I rotate the mat occasionally but honestly think I could continue to use this for 10 more years without replacing.  Time will tell I guess.  Hoping to a launch monitor at some point soon and eventually simulator set up.

• Like 3

Does anyone have a puttout mat? I read a review recently that says sometimes a channel will form where the back is consistently hit. Has anyone experienced that/what's the "care" need for the mat, do you vacuum it to keep grooves from forming?

On 2/24/2019 at 9:35 AM, juspoole said:

I'm curious. How tall is the Real Feel insert? I was thinking abut a plywood platform with a cutout for the mat, some cheap foam mats from Harbor Freight and some indoor/outdoor carpeting. Would be a lot cheaper (maybe even less than $100 total for the whole thing) than the $500 full size Real Feel.

30 minutes ago, edingc said:

I'm curious. How tall is the Real Feel insert? I was thinking abut a plywood platform with a cutout for the mat, some cheap foam mats from Harbor Freight and some indoor/outdoor carpeting. Would be a lot cheaper (maybe even less than $100 total for the whole thing) than the $500 full size Real Feel.

As  a guess I'd say it's about 2 1/2 - 3 inches tall, its very thick so it does sit up a bit more than normal mats.  I think that would be the way to go because $500 for the full thing is just ridiculous to me.

• Like 2

Thanks, @juspoole

Before you even replied, I ended up ordering the 10"x30" strip on eBay. So I'm committed one way or another, haha.

I got the putting mat for $40 at Edwin Watts, and took an old camping mat to extend it a bit.  It's serviceable at the moment, but I am actually considering covering this whole room with an artificial putting surface, mostly because we never use this room, and I am home all day, and we are going to eventually need to redo the hardwood floors to fix water damage by the back door.  I might have to drop a few dollars on something decent, perhaps with undulations built in, but it might be worth it in the long run, because the practice putting greens accessible to me in this town pretty much suck overall.

IMG_2507.JPG

IMG_2508.JPG

• Like 1