GolfSpy MPR

2020 Official Member Review: Sub 70 699 Pro irons

Our Sponsors

I know this is a bit of a cop out answer, but that's the question I'm definitely in the process of trying to answer. At this point in the review, the answer is not conclusive. Here's the core data so far: this is my chart for shots from 120-190 yards from July through the August arrival of my Sub 70s:
image.png.41c03e06ee8ce438155102a07cf3bc75.png
Here is the same information for the 54 holes I've played so far with my 699 Pros:
image.png.b74ba0fd2d7588b1a0e29097935eb361.png
So far, this doesn't suggest improvement. On average, I'm hitting a little more than 1 fewer green per round with the 699s. The four rounds I've played with the 699s, Arccos has given me an average of a 19.4 handicap on my approach play. My last 10 rounds with the G700s, that average was 14.0.
So while I'm absolutely enjoying playing with these clubs, the absolute numbers are not on the side of them helping my game as yet. My two caveats:
  • This is still a pretty small sample size with the new clubs: I'm 54 holes in. A couple more rounds could change these numbers fairly dramatically.
  • I've done virtually no practice with my new irons. As I've mentioned a lot on this forum, we have no range within an hour of us. And because the course is under snow six months a year, when I would have time to practice in the garage in the summer, it's hard not to go to the course instead and grab a quick nine.
Short answer: I'm not at all ready to reach a verdict yet on whether these irons are beyond me. But I'll be keeping everyone posted. I definitely want them to work; I'd rather have these in the bag than the G700s. But in the spirit of MGS, I'm going to have to let the data decide that.

Thanks that’s exactly what I wanted....kinda like you said I REALLY want to play these irons....they look SOOOO good...I love the black model!

I’m just not sure whether or not they would fit my game. The demo program is nice..but I’m 1” long and 2* up so hitting a standard length/lie demo club doesn’t help much.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 4

:cobra-small: King F7+ UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 6F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 6-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:cobra-small: King PuR Wedges 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 3.0 grip

Arccos Generation 1 Sensors on all clubs

Snell MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

11 hours ago, TBT said:

Thanks that’s exactly what I wanted....kinda like you said I REALLY want to play these irons....they look SOOOO good...I love the black model!

I’m just not sure whether or not they would fit my game. The demo program is nice..but I’m 1” long and 2* up so hitting a standard length/lie demo club doesn’t help much.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Things to consider or identify.

1) Do you hit the sweet spot on your irons a good percentage of the time? If so then these could be a good fit.

2) Are you a 15 handicap that struggles reducing your handicap due to your driving, bunker play, or putting?  If yes then these still could be a good fit. 

You need to identify what area of your game needs the improvement to help you make the decision on what irons you should investigate. don't just get something because they look good. I have a closet full of those! I really like the black too, but went with the recommendation of satin due to the soil conditions in my area. I wish I got the black but at the same time I'm glad I didn't. 

• Like 9

Driver, Ping G400 11* SR Flex

3 Wood, TaylorMade SLDR 17*  R Flex

5 Wood, TaylorMade SLDR 19* R Flex

Hybrid, Cobra Amp 24* R Flex

Irons, Sub 70 699 Pro's S Flex (5 - AW)

Wedges, Cleveland CBX 56* & 60*

Putter, Odyssey Marksman Fang 35"

23 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I know its early in the testing but I was crunching  some numbers.

My average score for the months of June and July ( pre Sub-Seventy) was 73.17 over seven 18 hole rounds

With the 699 Pro's for August so far is 70.33 over 3 rounds. Also shot a 34 for 9 holes on the first day of testing.

My driving accuracy and putting is usually very consistant  so the difference I'm seeing is in the iron play.

Nice shooting Tom!  When I spoke with Jason in spring 2019, as part of my search for new irons, he was suggesting either the 639CB's or 699's. Because I was really wanting to test irons as part of my iron fittings, and couldn't with the Sub70 clubs, I ended up not going with them... but sometimes think I should have done their demo option.  Anyway, I'm not unpleased with my G410's but now having subsequently hit the i210's and i500's, feel I could move into a PD iron and gain some additional yardage.  How would you characterize the 699 Pro - more PD than GI or vice-versa?  Thanks.

• Like 4

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver | Official 2019 MGS Tester

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-UW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:ping-small: B61 Putter

On 8/10/2020 at 4:57 PM, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I did not know what to expect, but went in with an open mind. Not knowing much about SUB - Seventy other than a few MGS posts I was somewhat in the dark about them. Then I did a little research and liked what I read. Then all the sudden I was selected for the testing. In my mind it was " could an unknown (to me ) compete with the big names"?  The answer is YES. This testing really opened my eyes. I was so fortunate to be selected.

Any company owner that will spend nearly an hour with me on the phone, on a Sunday afternoon, earned BIG points.  I really like the Sub 70 story and they are solidly on my list of suppliers for the next set of irons.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

On 8/7/2020 at 8:40 PM, Smellis745 said:

Anyhow, I’m still really enjoying these irons and will get some updated “wear” pics tomorrow.

Much appreciated.  I really like the black color but poor wearability would drive my OCD nuts 🙃.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Much appreciated.  I really like the black color but poor wearability would drive my OCD nuts 🙃.

If we get another golf trip in this year, you can hit my 639-CBs

• Like 1

WITB:

Driver:   :ping-small: G400Max, 10.5° Fujikura Ventus 6s

FW Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 17.5°

Hybrids:    :cobra-small: F7 22°

Irons:    :ping-small:  i500°

:Sub70:  639CB 30°, 36°, 42°

Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX2 50°

:Sub70:  56°

Putter:   5WoCG8Y.jpgER2 69°lie, 4° loft, 32.75"

Bag:  image.png.c4a28378d422ec23cd8af0ec2e63b3d5.pngStitch SL1

Ball: :bridgestone-small: BXS

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Testing:

image.png.cbfb2d938ea45d82004d9bdeb23cf643.pngD7 Forged Irons

1 minute ago, Thin2win said:

If we get another golf trip in this year, you can hit my 639-CBs

👍

I know this is a bit of a cop out answer, but that's the question I'm definitely in the process of trying to answer. At this point in the review, the answer is not conclusive. Here's the core data so far: this is my chart for shots from 120-190 yards from July through the August arrival of my Sub 70s:
image.png.41c03e06ee8ce438155102a07cf3bc75.png
Here is the same information for the 54 holes I've played so far with my 699 Pros:
image.png.b74ba0fd2d7588b1a0e29097935eb361.png
So far, this doesn't suggest improvement. On average, I'm hitting a little more than 1 fewer green per round with the 699s. The four rounds I've played with the 699s, Arccos has given me an average of a 19.4 handicap on my approach play. My last 10 rounds with the G700s, that average was 14.0.
So while I'm absolutely enjoying playing with these clubs, the absolute numbers are not on the side of them helping my game as yet. My two caveats:
  • This is still a pretty small sample size with the new clubs: I'm 54 holes in. A couple more rounds could change these numbers fairly dramatically.
  • I've done virtually no practice with my new irons. As I've mentioned a lot on this forum, we have no range within an hour of us. And because the course is under snow six months a year, when I would have time to practice in the garage in the summer, it's hard not to go to the course instead and grab a quick nine.
Short answer: I'm not at all ready to reach a verdict yet on whether these irons are beyond me. But I'll be keeping everyone posted. I definitely want them to work; I'd rather have these in the bag than the G700s. But in the spirit of MGS, I'm going to have to let the data decide that.

How do you get to this dispersion feature in ARCCOS? I’ve seen it a few times here but can’t find it in my app.

It awesome for reviews.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 3

Ping G410 - set at 12 degrees, fade setting - Fujikura Motore X R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood

G30 6-PW -  Aerotech FT 500 shafts

SCOR 48,52,56,60

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

1 hour ago, revkev said:

How do you get to this dispersion feature in ARCCOS? I’ve seen it a few times here but can’t find it in my app.

It awesome for reviews.

Thanks

It's in the desktop dashboard on the website, rather than the app. One of my complaints about Acrros is that different stats are available on the app than on the desktop. For instance, the desktop doesn't allow me to find my 1/2/3 putt percentages, and oversight that I find pretty inexcusable; the same data is readily available on the phone app.

• Like 5

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero, 9°, Aldila Rogue White 70 X
:taylormade-small: M4 3HL 16.5°, Atmos Red 60
:cobra-small: F6 5-6W, 19.5°, Fujikura Motore 6.3
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX 20°, Project X HZRDUS 85 5.5
Currently testing: :Sub70: 699 Pro, Modus3 105, 5–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:cleveland-small: RTX-3 CB 54° and 60°
:odyssey-small: Stroke Lab EXO Seven Mini, 34"
:srixon-small: Z-Star XV

Played a couple of nines last night (a warm up nine followed by a league nine). Neither were particularly good rounds (a cumulative 15-over for 18 holes). I'll do a brief hole-by-hole recap, focusing on the holes on which I hit the irons (which, in hindsight, is less often than I would have suspected).

• Hole 2: I hit 9 iron off the tee on the dogleg par 4. Good swing, good result: found the middle of the dogleg, 130 yards.
  • Hole 3: garbage 8 iron off the tee on a par 3. Chunk toe. The shot traveled 120 yards on a 150 yard hole.
  • Hole 4: safe 5 iron off a tight par 5 tee. Pushed it a little right, 175 yards. Third shot was from about 170; caught the 5-iron toe-side, but the shot was very straight and just barely short of the green. I was pleasantly surprised at the result given the contact.
  • Hole 6: after a drive into the right rough, pulled my 9-iron long and left of the green. The pulls with the short irons have become a bit of a troubling pattern recently.
  • Hole 7: nuked a 5-iron downhill with the wind; landed just in front of the green but rolled off the back: 227 yards.
  • Hole 8: found the left rough off the tee. Clubbed up to an 8 iron and hit the ball to 12' from 130ish.
  • Hole 9: after taking a drop from a ditch, found the green from 115 (uphill) with my PW.
  • Hole 10: cut the corner of a dogleg over trees into a stiff wind with the 6 iron (150 yards); just missed the green from 135 with 9 iron on the approach.
  • Hole 11: total garbage 8-iron approach: a completely fat shot that rolled forward 65 yards.
  • Hole 14: another hard pull 9 iron, missing the green left from 135.
  • Hole 15: hit the green on a short par 3 (117) with my PW, but again, pulled a bit.
  • Hole 16: yet another total garbage 8 iron (why does the 8 iron hate me). Dead turf underneath gave way and managed only 75 yards.

So what have we learned here?

• I'm not playing particularly well right now and my ball-striking is especially erratic. That's not the irons' fault.
  • My suspicion at this point is that the G700s have deeply ingrained in me the tendency to sweep my irons, taking virtually no divot. I doubt that's the best swing for these irons.
  • I have not yet figured out why I'm hitting these toe-side, especially since I tended to strike my G700s heel-side (and both sets have identical shafts).
  • I'm due for a serious garage practice session. There is no way that I can give these are fair evaluation until I grind with them a bit and find a swing idea that gives them a chance to succeed.
  • I still want these to work for me. They're beautiful irons, the feel awesome when struck well, they have very reasonable forgiveness on imperfect strikes, and they absolutely let you know right away where you erred.

A quick swing video: tried to cut the ball around the tree here, but ended up catching this one thin.

• Like 8

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero, 9°, Aldila Rogue White 70 X
:taylormade-small: M4 3HL 16.5°, Atmos Red 60
:cobra-small: F6 5-6W, 19.5°, Fujikura Motore 6.3
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX 20°, Project X HZRDUS 85 5.5
Currently testing: :Sub70: 699 Pro, Modus3 105, 5–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:cleveland-small: RTX-3 CB 54° and 60°
:odyssey-small: Stroke Lab EXO Seven Mini, 34"
:srixon-small: Z-Star XV

5 hours ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

It's in the desktop dashboard on the website, rather than the app. One of my complaints about Acrros is that different stats are available on the app than on the desktop. For instance, the desktop doesn't allow me to find my 1/2/3 putt percentages, and oversight that I find pretty inexcusable; the same data is readily available on the phone app.

TY

• Like 1

Ping G410 5-9 wood

SCOR 48,52,56,60

EVNRoll ER 5

17 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

Nice shooting Tom!  When I spoke with Jason in spring 2019, as part of my search for new irons, he was suggesting either the 639CB's or 699's. Because I was really wanting to test irons as part of my iron fittings, and couldn't with the Sub70 clubs, I ended up not going with them... but sometimes think I should have done their demo option.  Anyway, I'm not unpleased with my G410's but now having subsequently hit the i210's and i500's, feel I could move into a PD iron and gain some additional yardage.  How would you characterize the 699 Pro - more PD than GI or vice-versa?  Thanks.

Good question. I played game improvment irons exclusively until this test. My Wilson D200's happen to have the same exact lofts except for the PW and the AW. So my expectation was that they would go the same distance. In testing they still are close to the same distance (maybe about 1/2  club longer). However the big difference is in the ball flight. I normally would have to play a little short and then get some roll out. Now the ball seems to climb more and drop softer allowing me to go for the pin more than I was used to. Keep in mind that I play the same ball but the shafts are different. I played a True temper uniflex shaft and now the KBS Tour V90 in stiff flex. Jason said that they would launch higher which is what I asked for. The biggest change for me is the consistent straight flight path compared to my game improvment irons. The 699 Pro's just really seems to set up well behind the ball for me. My accuracy has improved but it doesn't look like GolfSpy MPR is having the same results so far.

• Like 8

Good question. I played game improvment irons exclusively until this test. My Wilson D200's happen to have the same exact lofts except for the PW and the AW. So my expectation was that they would go the same distance. In testing they still are close to the same distance (maybe about 1/2  club longer). However the big difference is in the ball flight. I normally would have to play a little short and then get some roll out. Now the ball seems to climb more and drop softer allowing me to go for the pin more than I was used to. Keep in mind that I play the same ball but the shafts are different. I played a True temper uniflex shaft and now the KBS Tour V90 in stiff flex. Jason said that they would launch higher which is what I asked for. The biggest change for me is the consistent straight flight path compared to my game improvment irons. The 699 Pro's just really seems to set up well behind the ball for me. My accuracy has improved but it doesn't look like GolfSpy MPR is having the same results so far.

Cool - that’s exactly how a players distance iron is suppose to work. It stops the ball with less spin but a steeper descent angle. I can’t wait to get my hands on my babies in that other thread to see if it works for me. I’m not a high spin player - I spin wedges fine but have issues above 8 iron not so much in the rainy season but the rest of the year, especially at my club where the greens get very firm

• Like 5

Ping G410 5-9 wood

SCOR 48,52,56,60

EVNRoll ER 5

So now I am starting to be concerned. I just saw my new  USGA GHIN info. My handicap index is now at 1.6
  I don't know who this guy is, but I hope he doesn't crack under all this pressure. I am now at a level that I would never ever have thought possible for a past his prime kind of guy. I'm going to print out my card, laminate it and put it in my golfing memories scrap book. I just can't wait to play again this weekend. I really am a golf nut but these irons have really got me motivated and more focused on shot execution. You know how sometimes you just get complacent and you just go through the motions. I think I was like that the past couple of years. It was just a routine. Get up, go play with some people that  I would meet at the golf course, perhaps customers, or play a round of golf with my boss.  Shoot in the mid 70's and go home. I wasn't going to get any better!
So now I'm pumped. This is just freaking awesome. I'm sitting on the couch putting this post together and wishing I was playing golf. ( It's raining ) 

Don’t know how old you are but you impress me as like me. That was my experience and then I exploded in my mid 50’s and got to 1.2 and stayed between there and.8 for two plus years.

I even went 70,70,71,73 in a four consecutive competitive round sequence.

Here’s hoping you have that kind of run. It was so nice...

• Like 4

Ping G410 5-9 wood

SCOR 48,52,56,60

EVNRoll ER 5

4 minutes ago, revkev said:

Don’t know how old you are but you impress me as like me. That was my experience and then I exploded in my mid 50’s and got to 1.2 and stayed between there and.8 for two plus years.

I even went 70,70,71,73 in a four consecutive competitive round sequence.

Here’s hoping you have that kind of run. It was so nice...

I turned 61 in June.  I hope that I can continue to play at this level for a while. But whatever happens, happens. I'm just grateful to have been selected for this test and the excitement that these irons have given me and the results that I can share with all of you. This has been a blast.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I played a True temper uniflex shaft and now the KBS Tour V90 in stiff flex.

What is your 7i swing speed?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

What is your 7i swing speed?

70 mph

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

70 mph

Thanks. Asking because we're near same age and I'm looking into what folks are saying about the stock KBS shaft options.

• Like 2