Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Why did you join MGS?

ole gray

I initially joined to see how well they would evaluate golf products without bias and to see if I would be selected as a tester for one of the new products. I'm impressed with their evaluations and disappointed by not being selected after all these years as a tester. I guess they really don't care about the seniors getting involved in the evaluation and feedback process. I'm not complaining, just an opinion.

I jumped in just over a year ago just to see what in the golf world I was missing.  I had been drawn in by some of the video content on YouTube and Facebook and decided to take a look around.  

I've enjoyed the civility on here.  Sadly can't find much of that on other forums across the internet.  

There have been some equipment suggestions that I've taken to heart already and will probably add to when it comes time for a club fitting in 2023.

In short, I like it here. 

Driver; Callaway RAZR Fit

Fairway and hybrids: Callaway X2 Pro

Irons: Mizuno JPX 825

Wedges: Mizuno JPX 825 Pro

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

On 3/27/2017 at 7:04 AM, MattF said:

Why? No bullshit, flaming and big ego's. It's that simple, just people who enjoy the game, are respectful of each other and have a good time.

Same  for me.  Good and open honest debate/discussion on what's really happening with the average golfer without judgement or opinion.  Outstanding and unbiased clearing house on what's up with equipment, courses, trips, etc., and advice when solicited.  What works, where to go,.......  And above all finding out my game is like everyone else's.  We are not pros!  Am 70 yrs old, have been playing over 50 of those and owned my own club repair business.  I am certified - golf repair, crazy, or both.  Reading and posting shows I am qualified in both golf and crazy and which makes me a certified golf nut!

GPS111

I was looking for honest answers concerning golf equipment, golf balls and all things golf. I have set up a Golf Spy folder that I keep your e valuations in and refer back to them regularly. I expect Golf Companies to self promote, why would they not? My real frustrations come from the noise of getting fitted for golf equipment because are we really being fitted or simply receiving a recommendation based on 10 to 15 swings and 2 shaft options? I have taken the time to travel to a number of demo days to try out equipment I was interested in buying and waiting for a fitter only for him to look at my current equipment and hand me his closest option. I actually received more help from a fitter hired for the day to assist the manufacturers representative. I have found a fitter that is a Certified fitter that I work with that has no allegiance to a brand and believe he has MY best interests at heart.  Just wondering, at a demo day the reps have the launch monitors there but don't bring them out because some people simply want to know their numbers and so they alleviate the distractions. Thanks to My Golf Spy for the deep dives on everything golf!      

Tom Hall Jr.

Really enjoy the equipment and ball testing, reviews and opinions of MGS. Data-driven testing is the way to go IMO. Very closely followed the ball testing that caused Callaway to take a hard look at themselves and spend a ton of money to improve ball production. Keep up the good work. I will continue to follow this site as long as it exists. 

Ping G400 woods, hybrids, irons. 

Can't believe I missed this thread when it started.

I'm like most, I found some no BS reviews, and really liked that. Liked the tone of the writing as well.

Then, I started to notice the difference in members here compared to some other golf web sites. Typical emotional age of too many posters on other sites seemed to be about 14. 

Love the respect and civility here. I don't post on any other golf web sites anymore.

At 65, I like the idea of the of new technology in golf balls for distance maintaining spin control around the greens. As the MOI in drivers has maxed out several years ago I believe that after being fitted for shafts this is most helpful.  I purchased Maxfli GC & Oncore Avent 55 after reading about them on this site.  So I now save considerable amount of money not purchasing Pro V's anymore and getting same results!

MGS is known for its testing protocols, which is extremely helpful to sift through the marketing fluff.

The forum is far more communicative, collaborative and collegial than other golf sites. We don’t have the insecure egos and cliques.

Nor do Mods try to best to censure a side thread group, because it’s becoming too popular - which was determined to be “drifting off room topic.”

The freebie fan bois are everywhere, but chap stick and moist towelettes are more needed on some sites. I get here when I can for relevant, reasonable conversation and knowledge.

This place is way more than the stuff. It’s definitely not a paradise that works you over.

Chasing my ball around the cow field, trying to avoid the “ruff.”

I stumbled on to this site not long after it started.  I found the equipment reviews Frank and honest.  Golf and golf digest reviews were pretty much advertisement for the OEM’s. To see a review that spoke of strengths and weakness was refreshing.  Plus Noel, Harry, John an the whole gang make me laugh

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Fusion

3wood: Titleist 917F

5 wood: Titleist 917F

irons Titleist T350 5-pe

hybrids Taylormade 4 

wedges: Titleist SM8 50/54/58

putter: Scotty Cameron Newport slotback

I joined because I like to get input on golf instruction. Always looking for new ideas to help me out. 

Edited by oz7177

Ping Driver

Taylormade Fairway 3 wood

Callaway X20 irons

Ping putter

Unbiased reviews and very knowledgable members as well. I've gained alot of insight into finding what works for me. There are players from all around the country and in my area that have had similar journeys to that of myself and it helps to validate my processes and even uncover some new ideas that help me to enjoy the sport even more than I already have. 

Driver: PXG_Logo.png.07030e120a51c10eb65f7ad3be845c3e.png2022 0211 RH 10.5 Driver ProjectX Cypher 40 5.5
             Grips:  jumboMaxlogo.png.ae9019f7923acd6fd8175b922fe3cb54.pngJMX Ultralite
3 Wood:  PXG_Logo.png.07030e120a51c10eb65f7ad3be845c3e.png.717b4a2d90d83434eec8f195776f94e9.png2022 0211 RH 3 Wood EvenFlow Riptide CB 50g 5.5
Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.07030e120a51c10eb65f7ad3be845c3e.png.717b4a2d90d83434eec8f195776f94e9.png2022 0211 RH 19 Hybrid MCA Tensei AV Raw Blue Hybrid 75 - R
Irons: PXG_Logo.png.07030e120a51c10eb65f7ad3be845c3e.png.717b4a2d90d83434eec8f195776f94e9.png0211-V3-CHR-Irons 4-LW w/ Mitsubishi MMT 60 A- Parallel
           Grips:  GolfPride.pngCP2 Pro Jumbo
Backups:  PXG_Logo.png.07030e120a51c10eb65f7ad3be845c3e.png.717b4a2d90d83434eec8f195776f94e9.png0311XF Irons 4-LW w/ KBS TGI 80
                Grips:  jumboMax logo.pngJMX Ultralite

Putter:  TM Logo.pngSpider Tour Black 2020 35" Putter Golf Club w/ Super Stroke
Ball:  default_bridgestone-small.png B RX
Gloves:  PXG_Logo.png.07030e120a51c10eb65f7ad3be845c3e.png.717b4a2d90d83434eec8f195776f94e9.pngMens Player's Glove
              RedRooster.pngRain Rooster
Shoes: adidaslogo.PNG Codechaos 22 Boa
Training Aids:  lagshotlogo.pngTriple Threat Combo Swing Training Aids (Driver,7i, Wedge)
                         axius core logo.pngCore Fitness Program
Puchcart:   clicgear.PNG 3.5+ w/ conversion for:

•   alphardLogo.pngClub Booster V2
  •  alphardLogo.png.82fee6eeb1561a22aa6f54d6343a4841.png TFS
  •   alphardLogo.png.82fee6eeb1561a22aa6f54d6343a4841.pngCB Sidekick

I like data not “feelings”.  Golf is complicated enough without marketing bs clouding decisions or the ability to compare two products.  I live in an area where there are not a lot of places for me to test equipment and I am a lefty.  This means I usually end up having to buy things just to test them.  

I had been gaming Srixon Soft Feel balls but read about the TaylorMade Tour Response balls here.  They sounded like a good fit for me even at 2x the cost of my current ball.  After playing the balls, they were such a massive upgrade, I felt like maybe the data here was real.  Been going down the rabbit hole ever since.  

Driver: Ping G425 Max 10.5 Fujikara Speeder NX 50r

#3, #5, #7 fairway woods 1 Iron Golf

5-LW irons 1 Iron Golf

Scotty Cameron Del Mar

Lefties Rule!

45 minutes ago, oz7177 said:

I joined because I like to get input on golf instruction. Always looking for new ideas to help me out. 

"The Road To Success Is Always Under Construction."

Edited by oz7177

Ping Driver

Taylormade Fairway 3 wood

Callaway X20 irons

Ping putter

I had to go back to my profile to see when I joined and was surprised to see it had been so long!

I'm pretty sure I joined after seeing an article about MGS and independent/agnostic testing. 

And I was just a lurker for quite a long time before I took the plunge into posting/commenting.  (Glad I did.)

Driver:  Ping G425 Max (10.5º; Regular )

Fwy:  Cobra King SZ (3; Regular); Ping G410 (5; Regular)

Hybrids: Ping G410 (22º and 26º; Regular)

Irons: Cleveland Launcher XL (6-U)

Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 (54º/12º), and Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 (58º/8º)

Putter:  Ping Karsten Anser X

3 hours ago, GilB said:

I initially joined to see how well they would evaluate golf products without bias and to see if I would be selected as a tester for one of the new products. I'm impressed with their evaluations and disappointed by not being selected after all these years as a tester. I guess they really don't care about the seniors getting involved in the evaluation and feedback process. I'm not complaining, just an opinion.

I'm sorry you feel that way about seniors. As the they in your sentence is the Mod team. We take great pride in our selections of testers and how we get a wide variety of testers. Whether that be age, swing speed, handicap and much more. 

I can assure you we do our best to not only get those variety of testers, but also members who have been here for as little as a month to 10 years. 

I created a post or thread last year and updated it and its sole purpose is to inform the membership about how we select our testers and the process we go through. I can link it here for you if you like, but if you search How To Become a MGS Tester it should come up. 

Also if you have questions about some reasons maybe why you haven't been yet feel free to send me a PM and we can chat!

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I was looking for information on equipment and tips to help my game.  I honestly haven’t been impressed so far. 

Started playing late in life, but as I got older I found that golf is a much better activity than a lot of things old folks get into, plus I meet some of the nicest most interesting people!

13 minutes ago, rore73 said:

I was looking for information on equipment and tips to help my game.  I honestly haven’t been impressed so far. 

We appreciate honesty here!  So tell me, what's been hurting your experience so far versus your expectations?

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

Obviously, we agree to disagree. When I first got on the site many, many years ago I was asked to take part in testing some new Titleist golf balls and I notified the administrator(s) of the test that I could not take part as I was having shoulder surgery and could not give the balls the test that was required. They thanked me and assured me that I would be on some sort of list to take part in a future test after I healed. I haven't heard anything since. I just figured they moved on and wanted feedback from younger golfers. After that experience I just read and enjoy the reviews from other testers on new products and concluded the senior experience is of no value in the testing process. That's just my experience and harbor no ill will towards anyone. Again, it's just my experience and we agree to disagree. 

2 minutes ago, GilB said:

Obviously, we agree to disagree. When I first got on the site many, many years ago I was asked to take part in testing some new Titleist golf balls and I notified the administrator(s) of the test that I could not take part as I was having shoulder surgery and could not give the balls the test that was required. They thanked me and assured me that I would be on some sort of list to take part in a future test after I healed. I haven't heard anything since. I just figured they moved on and wanted feedback from younger golfers. After that experience I just read and enjoy the reviews from other testers on new products and concluded the senior experience is of no value in the testing process. That's just my experience and harbor no ill will towards anyone. Again, it's just my experience and we agree to disagree. 

There have been many changes in forum staff so that could be the reason why. Has absolutely nothing to do with age, i can assure you of that.

However we have a ton of senior or older golfers who test. 

In the end is is simple. Get involved, be active and that helps better anyone's chances. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I joined for the unbiased equipment testing.Equipment is such a personal thing.  It must fit the eye. Feel good.  And of course the price. But after factoring in these things, it's nice to read some unbiased testing to re-enforce ones decision making.  I'm from the world of "You get what you pay for".  And REALLY impressed with the ball testing,  Spring and fall I and I'm not hitting the ball solidly, I can play water balls.  It doesn't matter.  But when the grove comes back I like to think I'm playing the best ball for me.

Been golfing 63 years.  Consider myself better than average. Play 54 - 72 holes a week in season. 

I came, and stayed, for the honest reviews. The chance to personally test equipment has been a nice bonus.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Madison bats -

Driver - Callaway Mavrik 10.5*, Reg 55 gram Riptide

3W - Taylor Rocket Ballz 15* R

5W - Taylor Rocket Balls 19* 

Hybrid 22* Rocket Balls R, 25* Hyper Speed R

Irons - 6-P Titleist AP2 712 S TT Gold Hi Launch

W 52, 56, 60 Vokey SM6

Why not?  Seemed like a good thing to do at the time and has been informative.  👍

Driver - TSi3 10.75* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TR

Fairway - TSi2 14.25* - Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.1 

Fairway - TSR1 17.0* - Fujikura Vista Pro 65S

Hybrid - TSR1 19.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75  

Hybrid - TSR1 23.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75

Irons - T350 (2023) - 5-48W - True Temper AMT Red 95g-107g

Wedges - Vokey SM9 - 52.08F, 56.10S - True Temper AMT Red 94 

**  GolfPride MCC +4 Midsize Grips  (all woods/irons/wedges)

Putter - 2023 Scotty Cameron Super Select Squareback 2 35" 

**  Superstroke 1.0 Pistol Grip  

Golf Ball - TITLEIST - Prov1 (2023)                                                         

Golf Bags - TITLEIST  - Cart 14 (black), Mid Size Tour (black/white)

Golf Glove - FootJoy (StaSof), Shoes, Apparel and Outerwear        

Rangefinder - Bushnell Pro XE

Three reasons

Objective reviews from like minded golfers rather than Amazon or other retail sources of questionable bias or integrity.

Just about any topic idea or need is asked and answered. Need help ? The answer is buried somewhere.

Entertainment value.

Driver FW - Titleist 917

Irons 4 to 8 - Titleist T300 2° flat

Irons 9 to wedges - George Nicoll Royal musclebacks 70s vintage

Putter - Scotty Cameron Select blackout

Love the reviews and really appreciate not getting abused like on another major golf forum that wrx for some when basic questions are asked. 

Nice helpful folks, honest advice and commentary  - that’s all I want …

Titleist T300 (2022) 5-PW, W48, W53 plus Taylormade Full Face 56 SW 

Current  driver Titleist TSi3

Hybrids Titleist 818 19 H2 23 H2

Gamer Putter Nike Method Matters B1-07

Ball Titleist Tour Speed / Taylormade Tour Response

Bag is Titleist Linksmaster 

Pushcart is Kaddey

Rangefinder is Voice Caddie SL2

Shotscope club tags 

I joined the MGS to hear what others think about golf in general.  I enjoy seeing what equipment others use and the results of test to see if there may be other equipment that I may want to try.  I am now enjoying the yearlong fantasy golf competition with several of the other forum members. The members are friendly and will provide assistance whenever asked.  Thanks for all you do.