Jump to content

Tour Striker Planemate


Recommended Posts

@dlow206 [mention=89655]rbsiedsc[/mention] have you noticed the plane mate helping with your head position/eye on the ball? I used to follow my hands back to make sure I wasn’t over-swinging, but the plane mate seems to have cured me...


Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy





  • Like 1

 

24CC2B3B-0E46-4165-97D1-F1CA4C5041C8.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/24/2020 at 6:29 PM, edingc said:

So I can comment and say after my initial enthusiasm, I've not really touched it for the past six weeks. I'm definitely going to work with it in the off-season, however.

I played really good golf after getting the PlaneMate, but I think a lot of my struggles for the past few weeks were the result of playing golf swing after getting it. I was finding myself too obsessed with certain pieces of the swing instead of just being athletic and letting it rip.

So much of my downswing success hinges on things like grip and alignment so those things can be worked on without the PM.

I do think my chipping got immediately better, however, and it's possibly worth it just for that. I found it really helped me to properly rotate through the chip using my entire body. I otherwise had a habit of doing everything with my arms only and stabbing at the ball, which led to all sorts of poor strikes while chipping.

This is what Pia Nilsson has been advocating for years - Think Box / Play Box. Basically when it’s time to think and plan your shot, do so. But when it’s time to play - just trust the work you’ve done.

so much easier said than done especially with so much history fighting for attention but the logic is sound and my coach has always used this as our foundation together - and when I let that happen I’m able to perform at levels that show me my best self, golf wise 😉

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, taskerc said:

This is what Pia Nilsson has been advocating for years - Think Box / Play Box. Basically when it’s time to think and plan your shot, do so. But when it’s time to play - just trust the work you’ve done.

so much easier said than done especially with so much history fighting for attention but the logic is sound and my coach has always used this as our foundation together - and when I let that happen I’m able to perform at levels that show me my best self, golf wise 😉

Iirc Pia is also an advocate for doing this on the range with block practice and swing work. Keep everything the same on the practice range as on the course 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Iirc Pia is also an advocate for doing this on the range with block practice and swing work. Keep everything the same on the practice range as on the course 

Hands down my biggest challenge on the course as well.  "If you think you stink" proves true with me.  I intend to give Zen Golf another read and hopefully take some of that to the course as well, although if I do that am I now thinking about thinking?  Ha ha

Driver:  :honma:TR20 460, Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW:  :tour-edge: CBX 119 3w, 15,  Project X Evenflow Blue 65g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, Mitsubishi MMT 80g Stiff

                :taylormade-small: SIM DHY 4H, Diamana Limited Hybrid 75g Stiff

Iron: :mizuno-small:JPX 919 Forged 5-GW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM8 54 S Grind, 60 M Grind

Putter: :EVNROLL:ER7B 

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1X

Tested the Honma TR20 460 driver

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Micah T said:

@dlow206 [mention=89655]rbsiedsc[/mention] have you noticed the plane mate helping with your head position/eye on the ball? I used to follow my hands back to make sure I wasn’t over-swinging, but the plane mate seems to have cured me...


Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy




 

I believe so yes. Although i recently follow the club back more as I am trying to be less with my arms and more with my hips. once I feel comfortable with that, i believe not looking will become second nature.

  • Like 1

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS with RDX Blue 70g S 

2H: :callaway-small: Super Hybrid with Tensei Orange Pro Hyb 80 Stiff 

3H: :Sub70: 939X UST proforce V2 black F3 hybrid soft stepped XStiff 

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 1/4" long Unofficial Review

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)  (Backup 54*,60*: :ping-small:  S Tour KBS Tour Stiff 3* up)

Putter: TAII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter 

Ball: :Snell:MTB-X and :OnCore: vero X1 (may dabble in :titelist-small: proV1 at some point)

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, rbsiedsc said:

I believe so yes. Although i recently follow the club back more as I am trying to be less with my arms and more with my hips. once I feel comfortable with that, i believe not looking will become second nature.

The club going back should be more with the shoulders and not the hips. The triangle between your arms, chest and club should move together the first 18-24”, basically til your hands are just past the right leg. This is in between p1 (address) and p2 (shaft parallel to the ground) when you move to p2 the hips should then join into the movement of getting to p3 (left arm parallel to the ground)...at this point your hips, knees, ankles and rib cage are helping to rotate into position while adding some extension of the right hand and bending of the right elbow. 
 

Look at the fix video at the bottom. Does a good job explaining the takeaway

https://www.ggswingtipsgolf.com/backswingtakeaway

 

  • Like 2

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

The club going back should be more with the shoulders and not the hips. The triangle between your arms, chest and club should move together the first 18-24”, basically til your hands are just past the right leg. This is in between p1 (address) and p2 (shaft parallel to the ground) when you move to p2 the hips should then join into the movement of getting to p3 (left arm parallel to the ground)...at this point your hips, knees, ankles and rib cage are helping to rotate into position while adding some extension of the right hand and bending of the right elbow. 
 

Look at the fix video at the bottom. Does a good job explaining the takeaway

https://www.ggswingtipsgolf.com/backswingtakeaway

 

Thanks. I am getting too many thoughts in my head and confusing things.....

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS with RDX Blue 70g S 

2H: :callaway-small: Super Hybrid with Tensei Orange Pro Hyb 80 Stiff 

3H: :Sub70: 939X UST proforce V2 black F3 hybrid soft stepped XStiff 

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 1/4" long Unofficial Review

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)  (Backup 54*,60*: :ping-small:  S Tour KBS Tour Stiff 3* up)

Putter: TAII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter 

Ball: :Snell:MTB-X and :OnCore: vero X1 (may dabble in :titelist-small: proV1 at some point)

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, rbsiedsc said:

Thanks. I am getting too many thoughts in my head and confusing things.....

You’re welcome. My advice is to focus on getting the takeaway to p2 working better. If these are off then the rest of the swing is going to be compensations.

There are various instructors who say that from p2 all that needs to happen is a turn. 

  • Like 3

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I did the day two protocol day which involves rotating from the club at the ball to finish just a little higher that the hips using one hand at a time. I find this to be the most brutal day of the program, as it really puts pressure on the left forearm. 

It moves from there to doing swings with each hand, and I'll say that wasn't pretty. I actually made some decent contact using my left hand only, but my right was a lost cause. 

I then moved on to some pitch shots wearing the band and I had to ask myself, "where was this when I was on the course?". Spent a while getting the feel of what a good shot was supposed to feel like before removing the Planemate and hitting a lot more shots. The positive reinforcement was a sight for sore eyes. Crisp, clean contact shot after shot. I think sometimes I let my hands take control when I'm near the green and I needed a reminder to let the body take control. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The talk of rotation, hand depth and hand height have been discussed in this thread.

This is a good breakdown of a swing that has some fo these faults.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CJMW6Rvpdnb/?igshid=3es6al7udjro

  • Like 2

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

The talk of rotation, hand depth and hand height have been discussed in this thread.

This is a good breakdown of a swing that has some fo these faults.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CJMW6Rvpdnb/?igshid=3es6al7udjro

So is this any better for a turn? This feels like the most I can turn and weight shift. Sorry for no club. Trying to rest some tendinitis. Thanks for sharing. 
 

 

  • Like 4

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS with RDX Blue 70g S 

2H: :callaway-small: Super Hybrid with Tensei Orange Pro Hyb 80 Stiff 

3H: :Sub70: 939X UST proforce V2 black F3 hybrid soft stepped XStiff 

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 1/4" long Unofficial Review

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)  (Backup 54*,60*: :ping-small:  S Tour KBS Tour Stiff 3* up)

Putter: TAII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter 

Ball: :Snell:MTB-X and :OnCore: vero X1 (may dabble in :titelist-small: proV1 at some point)

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, rbsiedsc said:

So is this any better for a turn? This feels like the most I can turn and weight shift. Sorry for no club. Trying to rest some tendinitis. Thanks for sharing. 
 

 

That’s a pretty good turn. Doing it without a club is the right way to start. Gets the body used to the movement.

do you have your feet flared at all? 
 

one thing I notice is you get a little sway still and the weight/pressure moves towards the outside of your right foot. This will limit the ability to turn as well. A slight bump into the right side is good guys like rory do it. The key is to feel it on the inside of the right foot.

 

can you send one from face on too?

edit: another thing is you want to gain flex in the left leg as you lose flex in the right leg.

  • Like 1

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

That’s a pretty good turn. Doing it without a club is the right way to start. Gets the body used to the movement.

do you have your feet flared at all? 
 

one thing I notice is you get a little sway still and the weight/pressure moves towards the outside of your right foot. This will limit the ability to turn as well. A slight bump into the right side is good guys like rory do it. The key is to feel it on the inside of the right foot.

 

can you send one from face on too?

edit: another thing is you want to gain flex in the left leg as you lose flex in the right leg.

Merry Christmas 

 

  • Like 1

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS with RDX Blue 70g S 

2H: :callaway-small: Super Hybrid with Tensei Orange Pro Hyb 80 Stiff 

3H: :Sub70: 939X UST proforce V2 black F3 hybrid soft stepped XStiff 

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 1/4" long Unofficial Review

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)  (Backup 54*,60*: :ping-small:  S Tour KBS Tour Stiff 3* up)

Putter: TAII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter 

Ball: :Snell:MTB-X and :OnCore: vero X1 (may dabble in :titelist-small: proV1 at some point)

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, rbsiedsc said:

Merry Christmas 

 

To me it looks like you don’t transfer any pressure to your trail side. At the top of you backswing you should be able to lift te toes on your right foot off the ground and you should just a little bit of pressure in your left heel if not having it off ground just a little bit. I think you make this type of move to avoid the sway like we see in the down the line video.

Your hips turn flat and your shoulders look like they do a bit too (this is something I fight in my swing as well). There should be some a move of the left shoulder down in the start of the swing with a little side bend on the left side...almost like a side crunch. And as you continue to rotate the ribs and hip there would be a little more bend in the left side. As you are doing this the left leg should flex as well which will get some tilt in your.

You do a good job of the left shoulder and left leg going down then around in the downswing but based on your backswing move you aren’t building and keeping any pressure in your right foot instep and leg.

Let me look for a couple videos that demonstrate this concept. 
 

rotation isn’t really a problem for you. The top of your backswing you get your shoulders more than 90*. It’s about getting it working in better sequencing.

I know @Kenny B had a similar thought about your shoulder swing when he asked for a face on with the club. I’m curious to hear his thoughts on this one and if we see similar things

  • Like 2

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I couldn’t find the video of Dan Carraher talking about losing flex in trail leg and gaining in the front leg and talking about where pressures should be in the toes and heels.

Martin does a little bit of that in this video

 

 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Overall I think Alex Riggs has one of the better videos of the movement of the swing on social media Thats is pretty easy to understand.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CIqd2f2BSix/?igshid=h0vlexhtn60d

  • Like 1

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/25/2020 at 11:08 AM, RickyBobby_PR said:

To me it looks like you don’t transfer any pressure to your trail side. At the top of you backswing you should be able to lift te toes on your right foot off the ground and you should just a little bit of pressure in your left heel if not having it off ground just a little bit. I think you make this type of move to avoid the sway like we see in the down the line video.

Your hips turn flat and your shoulders look like they do a bit too (this is something I fight in my swing as well). There should be some a move of the left shoulder down in the start of the swing with a little side bend on the left side...almost like a side crunch. And as you continue to rotate the ribs and hip there would be a little more bend in the left side. As you are doing this the left leg should flex as well which will get some tilt in your.

You do a good job of the left shoulder and left leg going down then around in the downswing but based on your backswing move you aren’t building and keeping any pressure in your right foot instep and leg.

Let me look for a couple videos that demonstrate this concept. 
 

rotation isn’t really a problem for you. The top of your backswing you get your shoulders more than 90*. It’s about getting it working in better sequencing.

I know @Kenny B had a similar thought about your shoulder swing when he asked for a face on with the club. I’m curious to hear his thoughts on this one and if we see similar things

Sorry for not being on earlier.  Just got home.

 @rbsiedsc  I agree with @RickyBobby_PR.  You have a good upper body turn, but it comes early at the expense of the hip rotation.  You have a slight tilt at address which is good (could be a little more), but almost immediately lose it, standing up straight and slight reverse pivot, which doesn't allow you tonged the pressure to your right foot.  It looks like during the backswing the left leg moves to the right but is pretty straight, rather than the left knee bending in.  Hard to see with the baggy pants.  lol

Your shoulder turn reaches 90º and your hips are still turning.  The hips and shoulders should turn from address together until the hips can't move any more (about 45º), then the shoulder turn starts and continues to the top of the swing.

Remember... Chubb says: "It's all in the hips, it's all in the hips."  lol

  • Like 2

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

Sorry for not being on earlier.  Just got home.

 @rbsiedsc  I agree with @RickyBobby_PR.  You have a good upper body turn, but it comes early at the expense of the hip rotation.  You have a slight tilt at address which is good (could be a little more), but almost immediately lose it, standing up straight and slight reverse pivot, which doesn't allow you tonged the pressure to your right foot.  It looks like during the backswing the left leg moves to the right but is pretty straight, rather than the left knee bending in.  Hard to see with the baggy pants.  lol

Your shoulder turn reaches 90º and your hips are still turning.  The hips and shoulders should turn from address together until the hips can't move any more (about 45º), then the shoulder turn starts and continues to the top of the swing.

Remember... Chubb says: "It's all in the hips, it's all in the hips."  lol

Thanks. @Kenny B and @RickyBobby_PR, I try to force my left knee down and right. It does not want to without feeling like I am falling over. 

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS with RDX Blue 70g S 

2H: :callaway-small: Super Hybrid with Tensei Orange Pro Hyb 80 Stiff 

3H: :Sub70: 939X UST proforce V2 black F3 hybrid soft stepped XStiff 

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 1/4" long Unofficial Review

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)  (Backup 54*,60*: :ping-small:  S Tour KBS Tour Stiff 3* up)

Putter: TAII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter 

Ball: :Snell:MTB-X and :OnCore: vero X1 (may dabble in :titelist-small: proV1 at some point)

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/19/2020 at 5:29 PM, edingc said:

All of the chatter in this thread inspired me to put on the Planemate yesterday and figure out the long green band. I never spent much time with it earlier in the summer, and when I did, I really struggled with the band snapping underneath my arms on the follow through. That's something Martin specifically calls out in the videos that should not happen.

I rewatched the Advanced Protocols finishing position video and picked up on something Martin mentioned that I had missed previously: feeling the right wrist in full extension with palm facing down and slightly away as the club is coming into the ball.

Ta-da! That fixed the band issue, which came down to my misuse of the right hand in the downswing. Previously, I had been keeping the palm down but actively rolling my right wrist into flexion as I was meeting the ball. This basically yielded a flipping movement at the ball. When my timing was good, I could leave the face just open enough to hit the ball straight, but otherwise it was pull/pull hook city.

IMG_20201219_122352.jpg.d5d7aef7adf34a604f4596ed14494a15.jpg

I went to the heated range this morning to work on the new feel and was amazed at how much better I hit the ball. Lots of 6 irons with 132+ ball speed, 4 hybrids in the mid-140s, and most importantly a lot more balls hit straight with a slight draw. Toward the end of my buckets I started getting tired and falling back into the old habits, but I'm ready to get back with a very focused range session some time this upcoming week.

This is actually something my coach picked up on two lessons ago (August, I think), but the feel he had me using was to feel my left hand chopping down and left, which achieved this result by putting the left wrist in flexion on the downswing. That feel worked OK, but I find myself to be more right-side driven and so the right wrist feeling is helpful for me.

I've been struggling with this as well since I started using the long band but I feel like my problem might be different.  I seem to either roll the band over or I leave the club face well open at impact. Even at slow speed I struggle to relax the club and get the clubface closed at impact without flipping it. Does anyone have any idea what I could be doing wrong? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...