Jump to content
GolfSpy Stroker

2020 Official Member Review: Ben Hogan Icon & PTX Pro/Icon Combo Irons

Recommended Posts

Our Sponsors

7 minutes ago, Erik-M said:

So, first round in, the sound of these blades are fantastic. They are the dullest amazing sounding irons ever! They were going close to 10 yards further then my ap2s. Nice high straight to 1 yard fades all day! Hit a6 iron from 174 into the wind, hit 3 yards past the pin and stopped on a dime. (Made the putt!) I had a tough time with the 4 iron. Hit out on the toe, the groove less part, and the feel wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but lost a lot of distance.  Need to dial strike in on 4 and 5 irons. With my ap2s my max on a pitching wedge prefectly struck was 140, and would usually pull 9 iron on a140 shot. However with these I had a149 pin and flew it just past on high and pulled it back a few feet, missed that putt however.  So far off the bat very pleased. More to come

How was compression in the hands overall on good and bad strikes? 

  • Like 2

Check out my review for the :ping-small: G710 Irons Lacassem official review

 :taylormade-small: FlexTech is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos::

:titelist-small: TS2 9.5 Project X HZRDUS Smoke 60g 

:taylormade-small: SIM 3W (15*) Project X HZRDUS Green 70g

:adams-small: 2H VST Super Idea S Matrix Kujoh S-Flex

:taylormade-small: 2019 P790 4-PW Project X 6.5 LZ 

:cleveland-small: 50, 54, 58 CBX2  Nippon Modus 125

:odyssey-small: O-Works 1W

:titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Bushnell Tour V3 Jolt

🇺🇸Thank you to all those that have served/are serving and God Bless America 🇺🇸

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Erik-M said:

So, first round in, the sound of these blades are fantastic. They are the dullest amazing sounding irons ever! They were going close to 10 yards further then my ap2s. Nice high straight to 1 yard fades all day! Hit a6 iron from 174 into the wind, hit 3 yards past the pin and stopped on a dime. (Made the putt!) I had a tough time with the 4 iron. Hit out on the toe, the groove less part, and the feel wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but lost a lot of distance.  Need to dial strike in on 4 and 5 irons. With my ap2s my max on a pitching wedge prefectly struck was 140, and would usually pull 9 iron on a140 shot. However with these I had a149 pin and flew it just past on high and pulled it back a few feet, missed that putt however.  So far off the bat very pleased. More to come

What's the difference in loft between your AP2's and the Hogan's? 

It sounds like you had a good day with them, I saw where @GolfSpy MPR posted you swinging them on Twitter and I do have two more questions for you. Did he try hitting them and how bad did Kirke beat the two of you?

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
So, first round in, the sound of these blades are fantastic. They are the dullest amazing sounding irons ever! They were going close to 10 yards further then my ap2s. Nice high straight to 1 yard fades all day! Hit a6 iron from 174 into the wind, hit 3 yards past the pin and stopped on a dime. (Made the putt!) I had a tough time with the 4 iron. Hit out on the toe, the groove less part, and the feel wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but lost a lot of distance.  Need to dial strike in on 4 and 5 irons. With my ap2s my max on a pitching wedge prefectly struck was 140, and would usually pull 9 iron on a140 shot. However with these I had a149 pin and flew it just past on high and pulled it back a few feet, missed that putt however.  So far off the bat very pleased. More to come

Wow that’s awesome. I wasn’t expecting to see a distance gain versus the AP2s!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

#MGSCOBRA2020 #COBRACONNECT CHALLENGE 4 is live!  Follow Along here!

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver 10.5 - Tensei Pro White 6TX

:cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S

:cobra-small: Speedzone 4-Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:cobra-small: KING Forged Tec 5-GW - PX LZ 6.5

:cobra-small: KING MIM Black 52.12 Classic, 56.10 Versatile, 60.04 Widelow - KBS 610 Wedge

 :EVNROLL: ER2B

:titelist-small: Pro V1x

:918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 HD Slope

:Arccos:

#cuetheduckboats

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Lacassem said:

How was compression in the hands overall on good and bad strikes? 

I couldn't feel much difference except on the 4 iron, felt not good but not as bad as I thought it would

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, B.Boston said:


Wow that’s awesome. I wasn’t expecting to see a distance gain versus the AP2s!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Neither was I, they are older second hand ap2s. Plus I got these hogan's a degree flat and it might be from that.  Not sure I've never had a fitting to know if I needed it flattened, just went off my misses left with my ap2s

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

What's the difference in loft between your AP2's and the Hogan's? 

It sounds like you had a good day with them, I saw where @GolfSpy MPR posted you swinging them on Twitter and I do have two more questions for you. Did he try hitting them and how bad did Kirke beat the two of you?

Yeah had a bad first round off the tee, and hit some shots to try out the clubs that I normally wouldn't hit.  Shot 80 on my first 18, and 74 on my second 18, hit the irons even better my second round, and also played more typical shots the second time through, and hit better off the tee. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Erik-M said:

Yeah had a bad first round off the tee, and hit some shots to try out the clubs that I normally wouldn't hit.  Shot 80 on my first 18, and 74 on my second 18, hit the irons even better my second round, and also played more typical shots the second time through, and hit better off the tee. 

Experimentation is one of the fun things about doing these reviews, so it's good you had a chance to try different things. Those are two pretty good scores and that 5 iron 203 into the wind, impressive. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good start @Erik-M I’ll be joining you guys when my grips arrive...a fair comparison means the same grip.  Sorry if that’s strange to some.

“Maybe he’s born with it, maybe it’s OCD!”

  • Like 4

  • PING G400 LST 8.5 Evenflow Black 65g 6.5
  • PING G 3W HZRDUS Yellow 75g 6.0
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Maltby TS1 4-G Nippon Modus3 120S
  • Maltby TSW 52 Nippon Modus Wedge
  • Maltby TSW 58 Nippon Modus Wedge
  • Bettinardi BB8 Wide 2020
  • Oncore Elixr

Currently testing the Ben Hogan PTx Combo irons https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/38486-2020-official-member-review-ben-hogan-icon-ptx-proicon-combo-irons/

 

 

Rochester, NY

4.3 Index

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just noticed this today! We're like twins! Lol1063664176_Screenshot_20200711-190056_VideoPlayer.jpg.1714c6edfbd1cafe3632bf8f7f01edd4.jpgScreenshot_20200711-185927_YouTube.jpg.dd7c1fc7d6f08aed2964e5ff1ef7407d.jpg

  • Like 5
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, bens197 said:

Good start @Erik-M I’ll be joining you guys when my grips arrive...a fair comparison means the same grip.  Sorry if that’s strange to some.

“Maybe he’s born with it, maybe it’s OCD!”

my utx will be going on soon!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Sluggo42 said:

Wow, so much new info and excitement!!!

I unfortunately cannot play until tomorrow boo hoooo.

but, here is the reason I was unavailable to play yesterday.....

 

36264ADC-DB21-4990-A642-374327FC4F35.jpeg.cd824cc5d19f594b63f5f82b8a559647.jpeg

Congratulations! I know this isn't a golf related question, but what was your winning weight? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

Congratulations! I know this isn't a golf related question, but what was your winning weight? 

21.48

second place was 20.07

then a bunch of 17’s and 18’s

the secret is that when summer days get long and hot, the bass go deeper and deeper. I was getting mine in 30-40 feet on dropshot worms. Had to fizz them all a few times

  • Like 5

Currently testing for review:

:Hogan: Combo iron set -8,9,per Icon 5,6,7 PtxPro 4-UiHi

:ping-small: G400 LSTec driver 10° on Aldila X-Torsion Stiff

:callaway-small: 816 Alpha 3-wood 15° On Aldila Rogue Stiff

:callaway-small: 815 GBB Alpha hybrid 19° On Fujikura Speeder 865 Stiff

:benhogan-small: Ptx Pro 5-P irons on KBS Tour V 110 S

:benhogan-small: Equalizer 50°, 54°, 60° wedges on recoil 780 StifF

 :EVNROLL: ER3 34”

:titelist-small: ProV1x

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 shoes

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Sluggo42 said:

21.48

second place was 20.07

then a bunch of 17’s and 18’s

the secret is that when summer days get long and hot, the bass go deeper and deeper. I was getting mine in 30-40 feet on dropshot worms. Had to fizz them all a few times

That's a pretty good haul! I give you props for being able to catch them deep, I never was good with deep water fishing unless I was fishing for smallmouth in the winter. 

Good luck with the irons tomorrow, hopefully your skill with them will be up there with your fishing prowess. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...