Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Forum Member Reviews - Snell My Tour Ball - Team Ouimet

GolfSpy Barbajo

Snell-My-Tour-Ball-2.jpg

Snell My Tour Ball Forum Review -
Team Ouimet

Welcome to "Team Ouimet" and its reviews of the My Tour Ball from Snell Golf.  

Since we had 12 testers, we figured it would be best to split the reviews up into three groups.  And in the spirit of "The Greatest Game Ever Played," we went with Team Vardon, Team Ray and Team Ouimet (obviously the sentimental favorite!)

Our boys will start off with their initial impressions of the ball, followed by their full review of the ball afterwards. As always, please make sure to ask our testers and questions you'd like about the ball and their experiences. And as you've come to expect with MyGolfSpy, these reviews will be honest and #Datacratic!

Go get 'em guys!!!

golf93454                       1st Impressions                        Review

PMookie                         1st Impressions                        Review

Chris Harman                1st Impressions                        Review

gdiddy                            1st Impressions                        Review

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Initial Impressions of the SNELL My Tour Ball ... hereafter referred to as MTB

I want to thank My Golf Spy and SNELL Golf for this opportunity and I hope my opinions will aid any and all who read these thoughts.

About your reviewer:

Currently playing to a 8.8 GHIN

Zach Johnson type of golfer-Not long off the tee but accurate 92% (5% left 2% right) 

Using GameGolf to analyze and understand my golf game.  I will post rounds using the MTB during the testing.

92 mph SS

Mid-Flight with my driver so distance is gained via the run out

Mid-High ball flight with irons and hybrids

My current gamer ball is the Nike RZN Black in Volt Yellow.

I was aware of SNELL golf because of other sites and all the golf magazines I read.  Well aware of Mr. Dean Snell in the industry and his latest gig as R&D leader @ TaylorMade Golf before his venture into producing his own golf ball.  His idea of a lower cost but tour quality golf ball available by bypassing the overhead should appeal to all of us.

Upon arrival I found a quite presentable box containing 4 sleeves of the MTB.  The back had good info about Mr. Dean Snell and the tech of the golf ball itself. (pics to follow)

My initial impressions of the ball itself?

Con: The logo SNELL on the ball is my least favorite aspect of the MTB.  A bit on the large size for my liking.

Pro: A pleasing white finish and a good smooth feel. I do like the splash of Red on the S of Snell and the Red Numbering.

Feel free to ask any and all questions

Driver: Titleist TS2 11.5° set to 10.75°
Wood: Cobra F-Max Superlite 3W 16°
Hybrids:  Cobra F-Max Superlite 3 Hybrid 19° /
XXIO X 23° 26°
Irons: Callaway Rogue X 7-AW
Wedges: Cleveland CBX 52° Cleveland RTX-3 58°
Putter: EvnRoll ER2 33" 2° loft 385g Winn Pro X 1.18 grip
Ball: Titleist ProV1x 2019 - Yellow
GPS: Bushnell Tour V4 Slope
Stat Tracking Device: Game Golf Live

follow@golf93454

OK I'm posting links to 2 9 hole rounds using the SNELL MTB.  These are rounds using my GameGolf.  You can review shot by shot during the round and club selection and distance.  Select the comments and read some notes I made about the MTB during the round.

Round 2 from 10.26.15 http://bit.ly/1l3KT7D

Round 1 from 10.16.15 http://bit.ly/1MtabSw

Overview of these 2 rounds

Initial Performance/thoughts of the MTB
> the Snell ball is softer than the RZN Black

> MTB felt long but the distance off the driver or any other club is very subjective.  All shots were made using the MTB.  I want to be able to play the MTB vs the Nike RZN Black but course has been too busy to allow playing 2 balls.  Something for the future

> The Snell MTB felt great off my putter, nice response without feeling "mushy"

> wear could be an issue.  I have played 18 holes plus some putting/chipping with the same ball and noticeable wear can be seen (see pic)

ballwear1.jpg

Flip Side

ballwear2.jpg

Next round(s) I'm putting a new ball into play so we'll see if this is an ongoing issue.  But I must say I'm liking this ball so far

XXIO X 23° 26°

follow@golf93454

Before I begin my review and unboxing, here's a little bit about myself and my game:

I'm 6'5" and I play, generally, X-stiff shafted clubs. Irons are 1" over standard and usually standard lie, giving me an overall lie of 2* up, or so. I'm a 9.2 GHIN and I generally shoot from 79-89. I get out to play on Fridays most weeks, and I get in an additional couple of range sessions each week as well. I play a public course here in-town that is very flat and every hole has elevated greens by about 3 feet because I live in the Delta of the Mississippi river and the only way to keep the greens draining during the wet season is to have them elevated some. This means I'm trying to land every approach shot on to the greens surface, no "bump-and-runs". My drives usually average around 285, my 6-iron is a 193-196 carry club, my 9-iron is my 160 club, my 58* wedge is right at 103, for a quick summary.

I actually have some experience with the Snell ball. After My Golf Spy posted the "winning" rating for the My Tour Ball, I bought a dozen off of their site and used them for part of the summer. I will include my previous experiences as I do my review.

Now, about the Snell My Tour Ball.

I received my package two weeks ago and I was very happy to see a little bit larger box, one that might just have something other than balls inside! Sure enough: a black Snell logo cap along with the dozen balls!!! Very nice!

The box of balls is sharp! All black with a little bit of silver and red! Nice! As with most ball boxes these days, the back of the box included some information about the My Tour Ball, including a visual of the number of layers, and a statement by the owner/designer, Dean Snell. Great information for sure and it made me quite comfortable about how the ball was made and how it should respond.

When I removed the balls from the pack, it almost looked like they had smaller dimples, overall, than what I'm used to seeing on my Chrome Softs. The seam where the "My Tour Ball" wording appears is noticeable... I'm not keen on seams, but it's not as bad as some TaylorMade balls have. These are a nice "white", not really the blue tint to them like some have, and have the Snell logo and number. Simple. Not too flashy, not trying to be more than they need to be. Good!!!

I'll add some pics, but they're pretty much the same as those already posted. I'm excited to share my experiences soon!!!

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Balls arrived today.  When I opened the box, I found a dozen Snell Golf 'My Tour Ball's and a Snell Golf hat, which was a surprise!

- THE PACKAGING -

The box is matte black with white (and a little red) lettering.  Very clean, classic look that you would expect from a premium ball.

The back of the box features information about the ball (which I like) and what I'll call Dean Snell's golf equipment 'philosophy' (which I didn't like).  As of right now, as far as I know, the only way to buy Snell golf balls is through their website.  If I went to your website to buy these balls, it is either because I already KNOW that I like the ball, or because I read the information on the website and knew I had to try the product.  This 'testimonial' on the packaging feels like an advertisement for the thing I already bought.

recommendation 1:  Stick to technical details on the packaging, and include the Snell statement maybe with a single sheet insert INSIDE the box.

- THE BALLS -

The first thing I thought was that this could have been a Titleist Pro V1x or Srixon Z-Star XV.  Premium white glossy finish with a classic dimple pattern.  The feel of the ball is smooth, and the logos/printing is simple, sharp, and clean.  Once again, I like the logo.  I also like the simple "MY TOUR BALL" printing on the seam.

recommendation 2:  Add a stripe to both sides of the "MY TOUR BALL" lettering.  I always add a stripe myself, and I have noticed that a lot of the other balls are starting to add stripes at the factory, I have noticed with other balls that the stripe I add to the ball with a sharpie only lasts for about 6-8 holes.

Overall I am very impressed with the look and feel (since I hadn't hit the ball yet) of this ball... and I look forward to reviewing this product from the playing perspective!

Pics will follow.

MY BAG

Driver:      Titleist 917D3 9.5, Fuji Speeder Pro Tour Spec 74 s-flex

Fairway:   Cobra Fly-z+ 15* x-flex
Irons:        Ping i25 4-PW (yellow dot), dynamic gold X100
Wedges:   Cleveland RTX 2.0 60*, TaylorMade TP EF 54*
Putter:       Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2, name stamped, II black oxide finish

Grips:        Golf Pride New Decade Midsize +2 wraps

Ball test results are in!

At the practice area:
My first impression of the ball at the golf course was on the putting and chipping areas.  The ball felt soft, yet responsive off the putter, and otherwise was not discernible from the ProV1x I was putting right beside it.  I had two Snell MTB balls, and two Titleist ProV1x balls.  I would putt the ProV1x, then the MTB, ProV1x, MTB... very similar feel, look, and sound from both balls.  I even had a friend put the balls on the ground next to my putter with my eyes closed to see if I could tell the difference... none that I could tell.  I went to the chipping area and had the same sorts of results.  So far, I am optimistic that I will like this golf ball.

On the course:

My first round of golf with the My Tour Ball was at Torrey Pines North (south course was closed for renovations  :().  My first tee shot went almost 270... into a little breeze, after hitting ZERO balls at the driving range.  So far, so good!  I had 244 to the pin and decided to go for it in 2, because why not, and only came up about 5 yards short of the green (20 yards short of pin) - again, into maybe 15-20 mph wind.  I was pleasantly surprised with that result.  Managed to flub the chip and make a 20 footer for par.  So far, I am bogey free for my entire Snell Golf touring career.  

The rest of the round went a little like that, with a couple of exceptions.  2 other times in my round I had 140, and 195 or so yards into the wind.  In BOTH cases, I hit the ball OVER the green into the wind.  140 is usually a 9-iron for me, and I hit a soft 7-iron (usually my 165 club) and it went 179!  179 yards into a 20 mph wind with my 7-iron.  I couldn't decide if I should be impressed or upset!  On #6 (206 on the card, but the pin was in the front), I had 195, which is 5-iron... and I thought I had learned my lesson.  So, I hit 5-iron, into the wind, and ended up on the BACK of the green which meant it went close to 220 into the wind!

Now, for the meat of my review... or, at least, the most important thing for me:  SPIN.... or, more appropriately, lack of spin.  I don't mean actual lack of spin, I mean a controlled amount of spin.  I have tested nearly every ball on the market looking for the right amount of spin.  When I'm talking about spin here, I'm really talking about short game spin.  I didn't feel like there was a noticeable difference in driver spin with the Snell MTB when tested against ProV1x, Rzn Black, or Z-Star XV.

Short game spin, however, was GREAT.  For me, great short game spin means just enough to hop once or twice on the green and stop.  I hate watching ProV1's spin off the green.  I used to think it was fun to "impress people" by pulling the string on a high spin ball with a wedge, but really it has almost never led to me getting the ball close to the hole.  Currently the balls with the best spin performance for my game are the Taylormade Project a and the Srixon Z-Star XV.  They also (coincidentally?) have very durable covers, which is another ProV1 complaint of mine... having to switch balls 3 times per round because my sand wedge is slicing up the cover of the golf ball!  Several times at Torrey Pines, and at Barona resort, I hit shots with wedges and short irons that either "hopped and stopped" or only spun back a few feet.  That's when I was hooked.

For my game, I want a ball that performs as well as the others off the tee (driver, 3-wood), and performs consistently throughout the bag.  I like low spinning short game shots so that I feel like I only need to fly the ball about hole-high, and the ball will stay there!  The fact that this ball is so good in the wind will be great once I get used to it... My favorite ball about 7 years ago was made by Taylormade, and it was called TP Red, and this Snell ball reminds me a lot of that one- with one important difference: BETTER SPIN CONTROL!

I love this ball, and I would pay the same price as ProV1/Z-Star XV.  The fact that it is ten bucks less per dozen is outstanding!

I will be posting several photos from 3 separate rounds of golf (I used a different ball for each 18-hole round).  And I will try to think of a good way to caption the photos for you guys.  I tried to take close up photos of the first ball (because it saw 2 trees and a cart path) and still had almost NO damage to the cover!

I am truly impressed with this ball!  Not for nothing, but I got several compliments on the Snell Golf hat, as well.  My only complaint there (which is silly), is that it got a little hot.  I usually only wear white hats on the golf course for that reason.  But it was just as nice or nicer than any of the $20-$30 hats I use on the golf course during regular play.

Final sum up:
Avg drive: 291 yards

Greens in reg:  45/54

Fairways hit:  27/43

Eagles: 1

Birdies: 9

Pars:   35

Bogeys: 6

Doubles: 2

Others:  I made a 9 on a par 5 after ending up behind a tree, then plugging in a bunker, then skulling it into another bunker, then 2-putting from 4-feet!

Cart paths: 2

Trees hit: 5!

Water Hazards: 1 (but it just trickled in, and I was able to retrieve it and finish the round with that ball!)
Balls lost: 0!!!

MY BAG

Putter:       Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2, name stamped, II black oxide finish

• 2 weeks later...

Here are some pics of the arrival of MTB.  Shout Out to Mr. Dean Snell for including the quality SNELL Golf Hat.

Box1.jpg

Box2.jpg

boxball.jpg

hat.jpg

XXIO X 23° 26°

follow@golf93454

What's in the bag:

Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Follow @golfspybarbajo

-----------------------------

---    SNELL GOLF   ---

---  MY TOUR BALL  --

-------  unboxing  -------

-----------------------------

20151016_180919.jpg

20151016_181052.jpg

20151016_181137.jpg

20151016_181319.jpg

20151016_181456.jpg

MY BAG

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

• 2 weeks later...

Initial Review:

As I mentioned in my "unboxing" post, I had a good bit of experience using the My Tour Ball after having ordered a dozen following MGS's review, so I've played the ball through the hot summer months in Louisiana on some pretty hard and dry fairways. Here's what I noticed then, and recently...

In the past two years, here are the different balls I've used for rounds:

Callaway Chrome Soft

Callaway SR2

Callaway X2 Hot +

TaylorMade Tour Preferred X

Titleist Pro V1

Srixon Z Star

Srixon Z Star XV

Bridgestone B330

I primarily use the TM Tour Preferred X, followed by Callaway Chrome Soft. In general, I don't like a "clicky feel" when I strike a ball off the tee or iron, and the Chrome Soft has the best feel comparative to all of the others I've tried, overall, so I've made the switch to those recently.

Right off the bat with the Snell MTB, I saw excellent distance and feel off the driver. Noticeable ball flight that wasn't showing increases in spin vs others I've played. I literally hit three of the longest drives in years with the MTB (330-351, measured using SkyCaddie GPS), yep, with wind, on hard fairways, but when I turned back into the same wind, immediately following the 351 ball, I hit the fairway at 291! Into a 20+ mph wind! Straight! No ballooning! What I can say about the performance off the driver is this:

Great distance

Exceptional into the wind

Doesn't balloon; nice piercing trajectory

Nice feel without being "hard" or too "clicky" (I still prefer the feel of the Cally CS off the driver)

I actually took 5 balls, including the MTB, and walked a number of holes, hitting all 5 off the tee, then all five as second shot approaches into the greens. Here's what I took away

The MTB, performance-wise, off the tee was in the top 2, EVERY time. Distance and dispersion. I noticed that almost every time I missed the fairway with the MTB and the others, the MTB was closer to the fairway, literally, almost every time. The lack of sidespin on this ball was VERY noticeable, based on results when drives or long iron shots strayed offline. I'm not talking by just "feet" or "inches" either, I'm talking YARDS difference when missing with driver.

***** Two things will always stick out in my mind about the MTB: performance into the wind, and dispersion reduction off the driver!!!

When hitting the second shots, all dropped in the fairway, I didn't notice great performance differences between balls. I was primarily looking for distance differences and there really weren't any off longer irons. Feel-wise, the MTB was very similar to the TM PX, a little bit of click, not much, and, when struck well, a good compression sensation. Now, the ball is on the club face for a millisecond, I know. But, when struck well, there was a sensation of click and "Wow, I got that one!" One note here of when I hit hybrid off tee and out of the fairway: the MTB showed almost identical performance as I saw off driver. It was actually longer than my favorite other ball, the Cally CS. I hit them vs each other two weeks ago on one hole and both were pured with the hybrid. I thought for SURE the Callaway was longer... Wasn't the case. MTB got it by 13 yards, including a little extra roll because of the shape of the fairway. Had they landed in the same spot on the fairway, it would've been less than 13 yards, but the MTB would've still been longer.

Now comes to the part of the game, for me, where the rubber meets the road... Off wedges! In pretty much all "ball testing" recommendations that ball companies have to print off from their sites, wedge performance and around-the-green performance is always first to be done. That's where these "tour" balls show their differences the most. Here is where I found the MTB to finish third behind Pro V1 X and Chrome Soft. The MTB just didn't spin as much. Three times I dropped the balls at around 80 yards and hit my back-of-the-stance 75% wedge, knockdown, "grabber". Each time the MTB feel was harder, and the spin performance of sticking and backing up, or just hitting and sticking, was less than CS and V1X. On the 15th hole at our club, the last time I did this test, Chrome Soft backed up 9 feet. MTB, 4. It backed up, just not like the others. On FULL wedges, hitting them to their max distance, performance across the 5 balls tested was pretty much imperceptible. They all hit and stuck within 2 feet, no rollout. So, MTB could use a little softer feel and a TAD more spin off the 1/2 wedge.

Chipping and pitching, the slightly harder cover was noticeable vs Cally CS and Pro V1X, but almost identical to B330, TM TPX, and Srixon Z Star XV. I did see a little more rollout on chips when I was trying to take spin off and have it hit and roll just 3-4 feet. Again, maybe an extra foot or foot and a 1/2 on average, but not an amount that would be alarming.

Putting... I don't bother testing with putters. Feel is the only thing that I can detect... It's not like dispersion could improve!!! HA! It felt just fine off my putter. No better, no worse than others.

I will continue to take these out to confirm these findings. We've had rain for the last two weeks straight, and usually on days when I can have time to play. I'm determined to test the 80 yard shot and chipping/pitching again and take pics to post. I'll get there when it stops raining!!!

Thanks for reading!!!!

This first pic below shows four shots from about 190 out, all hit with a 7 iron. The closest to the green was MTB, and next to it on the right is the Chrome Soft.

The second pic is of the hybrid tee shot addressed in this post, the one in which MTB was 13 yards further than Chrome Soft. CS is at the bottom left of the pic, MTB is top middle/right, looking toward the green from the fairway.

I really thought that I took more ball pictures... but this is all I could salvage.  Had a great time testing the ball... and I really hope I get to test more equipment in the future!

Thanks again to MyGolfSpy and Snell Golf for this amazing, fun, and informative opportunity!!!

Be sure to click on the images for a closer look! 

The detail is much better than I anticipated using the regular camera on my cell phone.

pre-round_1.jpg

pre-round_2.jpg

pre-round_3.jpg

6 green.jpg

number 7.jpg

on the tee.jpg

water hole.jpg

20151023_111235.jpg

tree.jpg

post-round_1.jpg

post-round_2.jpg

nice view.jpg

20151023_141658.jpg

finishing hole.jpg

cart path.jpg

tough par 3.jpg

MY BAG

Awesome stuff guys!  Great work!!!!

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Harmon... I enjoyed reading your review and looking at all your pics perhaps more than any review I've seen on here. I hope they do pick you again sometime. I've also played the Snell tour ball off and on since they came out. It's a very good ball for sure. Snell or PV? PV or Snell? Equally good.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I took a few more pics yesterday to share. I hit the Snell vs a Titleist test ball for most of the day, until I lost both of them!!! Ha! Here's what I can say about the "testing": the Titleist had a softer feel off every shot and the audible difference was noticeable even on putts- there was more of a "click" from the MTB. The MTB was longer off the driver by a good bit and it flew with a more penetrating flight, the Titleist flew higher off the driver and irons. Spin was very similar off wedges, if not a little bit better with the MTB. There was more hit-and-grab off 1/2 wedges with MTB- not a ton, but it was noticeable.
The one major thing that stood out yesterday, and I took a pic to show it, was the MTB is not very "white"... It definitely has a "yellower" tint to it. I'm not a fan of the dingy appearance after it's used a little bit... I like a brighter white.

Well, sorry! I have 5 pics I took to upload and it won't let me since they're bigger than 2MB... Crud...

Is that Titleist a PV or NXT?

I think I've noticed the dulling of the ball when I played it too. It can get dingy looking pretty quickly I recall. I suspect a new ball will come out before long that will address some of the issues we've commented on. Dingy - dull discoloration, and revamped logo. I'm going to hang on to some of my original Snell balls to see what transpires over time with newer releases.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Great reviews, all.  I am currently gaming the Get Sum, and hope to try the My Tour Ball in the Spring.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Enjoyed PMookie's review quite a lot. Agree with almost everything he reported based on my own testing/review. The MTB is LONG and straight. I also, however, just wasn't able to generate the spin, (and/or for me) the feel of other "tour performance" balls. Really excellent review.

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

Is that Titleist a PV or NXT?

I think I've noticed the dulling of the ball when I played it too. It can get dingy looking pretty quickly I recall. I suspect a new ball will come out before long that will address some of the issues we've commented on. Dingy - dull discoloration, and revamped logo. I'm going to hang on to some of my original Snell balls to see what transpires over time with newer releases.

Not sure. It's a Titleist "Test" ball I received last week. Had the feel and spin of something that's at LEAST a NXT Tour.

Enjoyed PMookie's review quite a lot. Agree with almost everything he reported based on my own testing/review. The MTB is LONG and straight. I also, however, just wasn't able to generate the spin, (and/or for me) the feel of other "tour performance" balls. Really excellent review.

Thank you for the reply. I appreciate it very much!

Ok, here are the photos from last Friday! There is a pic of the Snell and the Titleist Test ball side-by-side, distance recorded via my GPS of driver distance with the Snell (296) and the Titleist Test ball (281) on the same Par 5, a shot of the "back-up" I got on the second hole with using a nine iron from about 156- I put my putter down to give some perspective, then a shot showing how far back a tee shot on an uphill par three came back using a 50* wedge (playing 136)- the ball hit the crest in the middle of the green and came all the way back down to the front and you can see the Test ball in the top left of the photo as well.

Hopefully these portray the ability of the Snell MTB to compete with the biggest name in balls in golf. Granted, it's vs a test ball, but the distance advantage of the Snell was seen all day, as well as the spin on approaches. The Test ball still had a better feel, one I REALLY liked, but the Snell performance still made it a better ball.

Ok. My last post for the review...
After my work today comparing the Snell vs Chrome Soft, Pro V1, Pro V1X, TaylorMade Tour Preferred X, and Srixon Z Star XV, I've come to these conclusions:
1. The Snell is a "yellower" shade of white vs every other ball I put it against
2. MTB was longer, off the driver, than any other ball I put it against, and it wasn't all that close
3. MTB was exceptional in the wind off the tee
4. MTB was tied for "most click" noise off irons with the TPX
5. MTB has slightly less spin than Pro V1 and Pro V1X, and equal to TPX and Chrome Soft off of 1/2 to 3/4 wedge shots
6. MTB has just as much spin off full iron shots as any I tested
7. MTB has almost identical launch and trajectory to just about every other ball I tested (the Titleist Test Ball launched HIGHER)
8. If MTB's feel were improved just a LITTLE bit, and the whiteness "blued" some, it's the ball in my bag, no questions asked
Finally, for $14 less than Pro V1/V1X, and around $5 less than Chrome Soft, it should be in a WHOLE LOT of bags near you!!!!!!!

The MTB is a great ball, and I'm not saying it just because I'm reviewing it. I would agree that Snell has created a ball that acts very similar, better in some cases, to the top "Tour" balls out there. Having put it up against these top balls in my testing, it has been proven to me, emphatically. Is it perfect? Nope. Could it be better? Probably. Would folks in a blind test be able to tell this was not a Titleist/Callaway/TM etc? I doubt it! It's a top-notch ball! 

I've said above what I would want changed, or tweaked to make it the hands down, no questions asked, ball in my bag. Feel and color is all it lacks for me. That's it!!! I have access to one of the brands I tested vs the MTB at $12 below retail. I really like that ball and play it because it performs for me, not just because I can get it for less. When I get through the last couple dozen I have, I'm going to be placing a multiple dozen order on the Snell site. I can get past a little bit of "click" and a "dingier" color to be in the fairway, long, and hit and stick shots on the greens with my wedges whether by full or 1/2 shot. 

Thank you, MGS, for allowing me to do this review! I really enjoyed it! Thank you Snell for the opportunity as well! You have a great ball!!!

I'm adding a few more pics. The first shows where the MTB ended up off a 54* 3/4 wedge from 82 yards. The second pic was a second shot, same 3/4 with my 54* from 82 yards- this one hit the crest in the middle of the green and came back quite a bit. The third pic shows where the MTB ended-up on a full 50* wedge from 128- it hit and came back off the green more than the length of my 4 iron. The last pic shows the grouping of four balls (the view shows me facing the next tee, the par 3 tee from which I hit is behind me), the MTB being the closest to my bag, on a 162 yard par three tee shot using my 8 iron. This really is just to show very similar distances and reactions on a green from a full shot. A fifth ball is pin-high, just out of the pic to the right. 

Thanks for reading!!!

• 2 weeks later...

A check-in since I've been absent.  Back issues have curtailed the golf a bit.

Trying to just do a quick synopsis of what I've observed so far.

I must agree with PMookie that the color is not as "bright white" as I'd like.  That being said doesn't change the game characteristics any.  Since the initial pics of the name wear on the first ball I put into play I have not noticed the same degradation. 

Since strike is king and I'm not a Iron Byron comparing distances over a short time is somewhat hit/miss.  That being said, I would probably state that the SNELL MTB is probably a bit longer maybe +5 yards farther than my Nike RZN Black.  I still have not been able to do 18 holes with playing both balls at the same time so would still like to get this done.

I have so far enjoyed the putting and chipping with the MTB.  Feel is soft but not mushy on putts and stopping power is on par with the Nike RZN Black. 

More to follow

XXIO X 23° 26°

follow@golf93454

It's very interesting to me that whenever we do a ball review there is a diversity of opinion. I'm curious about Go Blues's lack of spin. The only ball that I've played of late that spins better than the MTB is the Pro VI. Honestly that's not my regular ball anyway. My regular ball for the past few seasons has been the RX and there is very little difference between that and the MTB for me.

In regards to length off a well hit shot I can't imagine that there is more than 10 yards difference between the longest two piece ball and the shortest softest faux mid priced tour ball. The bigger question is what happens on miss hits. Golf is about keeping those miss hits in play as much as anything else.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Thanks pmookie, if color is the only downside, I would adapt my vision to like it. Look at it this way, if the color is a bit off, you'll be able to spot your ball easier when playing in a foursome.

I have not yet tried the MTB but have several dozen of the Get Sum as Dean posted on his website that they may work better for slower swingers(like me). To date I have about 5 rounds with them and they are every bit as good as the other low compression balls. When you buy 3 dozen, Dean gives you a discount that can't be beat. Thanks Dean Snell.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I do agree about the discoloration BTW but in some ways that makes it easier to ID the ball.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I really should try the Snell balls next spring as they seem to have become the official golf ball of MGS. Which model should I try?

Realistically, I can't imagine that what's left of my game would be very ball dependent.

Also, I like the way my Top Flite Gamer Tours come with "Nifty Niblick" printed on them.

The ones not from on-line don't seem to, however. If some kid fromKansas City or something goes into Dick's and buys a dozen Top Flites, he doesn't get the Nifty Niblick model. It's not my fault. I honestly wasn't consulted on the decision.

I really should try the Snell balls next spring as they seem to have become the official golf ball of MGS. Which model should I try?

Realistically, I can't imagine that what's left of my game would be very ball dependent.

Also, I like the way my Top Flite Gamer Tours come with "Nifty Niblick" printed on them.

The ones not from on-line don't seem to, however. If some kid fromKansas City or something goes into Dick's and buys a dozen Top Flites, he doesn't get the Nifty Niblick model. It's not my fault. I honestly wasn't consulted on the decision.

I really like the My Tour Ball. It will be my gamer for as long as they continue to make it. That being said, I've switched to the Get Sum ball for winter golf. It's a bit softer. Hard to beat the quality at $75 for 6 dozen. It definitely doesn't spin like the MTB on shorter shots around the greens, but as long as you know that going in it's not a hard adjustment to make.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

Got in 9 this evening.  Rather cool out so I only used the MTB and didn't do a side-by-side with my Nike RZN Black.  At end of the round couldn't believe the yardages I was getting with my driver since there was practically no roll and the temps was 57-61° and the evening due was already present.  Our greens are nice and fast (around 10 to 10.5) so it was fun to putt.  I have included a link to my round via my GameGolf.  To see that round, click here.

I am getting closer and closer to deciding that the MTB will be my golf ball for 2016.  In the cold air and evening the ball performed nicely.  If it feels and sounds this good in less than ideal conditions, I'm sure it's going to be easy to use during prime weather!  And of course the $ is great for a tour quality golf ball.

I'm still trying to get a side-by-side, shot vs shot with my Nike RZN Black, but in the best of circumstances Strike Is King and unless I can duplicate each shot it will always be subjective.  I'm certainly not losing any distance with the MTB and the greenside control and spin is working fine for me.

XXIO X 23° 26°

follow@golf93454

Archived