GolfSpy Stroker

club cleaning tips tricks hints

The bag room attendant at my club does a heck of a job. Not sure what he does but the clubs are always clean and the grips are fresh every time I play. I have asked him what he does to the grips and still get it is a secret.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

For me, it is a wet towel on the course to clean the head and grip,  the a quick dry.  I use 1 towel and just wet one end.

• Like 2

Clean with dawn weekly, wet towel on the course and because my hands sweat a lot I use Mitchum antiperspirant on my clean hands before leaving home. No glove for me and no sweating

• Like 1

I keep a bristly brush at the kitchen sink for cleaning clubs and grips using mild dishwashing soap n water.

Gotta get them cleaned up for this week....President Cup Tuesday & Thursday then regular game Fri & Sat followed by 36 holes on Sunday with Matt F and John B.

• Like 4

I keep a bristly brush at the kitchen sink for cleaning clubs and grips using mild dishwashing soap n water.

Gotta get them cleaned up for this week....President Cup Tuesday & Thursday then regular game Fri & Sat followed by 36 holes on Sunday with Matt F and John B.

Dayuuuuummmm   Foz!    You need to schedule a little more golf in ya life... :D   Heck it's gonna be colder than a well diggar's arse in Georgia this week so not much golf going on for me.  Well maybe a couple of days here and there. ;) 

• Like 2

Forgot about this one.  I originally did this for cleaning the grout in our shower, but I've also used it on irons and the golf cart rims and it works fantastic.  Plus it's kind of fun.

https://www.todayshomeowner.com/video/homemade-scrub-brush-drill-cleaning-attachment/

• Like 1

I don't do anything except clean a club after a shot.  My clubs really don't get very dirty.  I'm not a digger and the soil is firm and sandy.  It's easy to clean grooves after a shot.  Periodically, I wipe down the Pure grips with a little soap and water to remove any oil from my hands; they are still in great shape after 2 years.  

I played in the rain yesterday and after the round I brought my clubs into the house and dried each club, otherwise my SCORs will start rusting when the sand has removed the finish.

• Like 1

I keep it simple. Just wet my towel before the round and wipe the heads off when the club goes back in my bag.

Tazz

Grip n Rip it

• Like 2

Not sure where to post this but after searching I've ended up here under club cleaning tips. I played in a 2-day tournament this week in another city and the greens had some kind of fungus. I was told that all of my golf equipment - balls, clubs, gloves, bag, shoes, everything needed to be cleaned and disinfected so I didn't introduce the fungus to my home course. I've never been told that before but it seemed to make sense. Have any of you had to do this before? How much cleaning is necessary and what do you use? It sounded pretty serious that I do this.

What I had on hand to use was soap, water and Lysol concentrate. I made a bath of it and soaked everything in it for 10 minutes. Then I scrubbed the outside bottom of my bag and even poured some of that stuff inside the bottom. I opened the inside zippers on my two longest side pockets to let air into the bottom to dry. I also open those zippers to let things dry out after rain gets in my bag.

The most interesting discovery is that my driver actually floats! All of the other clubs sink.

Everything has dried out quickly just like after a rainy round. But at this point I'm thinking I never want to play anywhere that has a green fungus again if I have to do this!

• Like 2

@artful_golfer,  i have never heard of this before and wouldnt have any recommendations on how to clean the clubs.   Best bet would have been to ask the course how the clubs should  be cleaned to prevent spreading the fungus.  

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, cnosil said:

@artful_golfer,  i have never heard of this before and wouldnt have any recommendations on how to clean the clubs.   Best bet would have been to ask the course how the clubs should  be cleaned to prevent spreading the fungus.  

Clean & disinfect instructions came from the pro shop. One lady used a bottle of anti-bacterial/fungal spray from her husband's veterinary clinic on her equipment. Another lady used only soap and water. A fourth hasn't done anything yet and played a different local course today, but said she planned to clean hers tonight. So far I'm the only one that cleaned inside my bag.

• Like 1

Seen this resurface & I'm goin to add... I'm a backwards, lol, I clean before the shot with wet towel & just put the club in the bag after.

2 minutes ago, bullldog said:

Seen this resurface & I'm goin to add... I'm a backwards, lol, I clean before the shot with wet towel & just put the club in the bag after.

Does sand, dirt and pieces of grass fall down in your bag? I was surprised at the grass that came out of my bag when I poured out the water.

LOL.. probably.. Never really clean the bag that good.. Just empty contents & open all the zippers after playing in the rain.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bullldog said:

LOL.. probably.. Never really clean the bag that good.. Just empty contents & open all the zippers after playing in the rain.

Well this was my first time to give mine a thorough cleaning. And hopefully my last. Drying out after a rain to prevent mildew is one thing, thorough cleaning is a whole different issue. Now everything smells like Lysol, including my house ugh!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, artful_golfer said:

Clean & disinfect instructions came from the pro shop. One lady used a bottle of anti-bacterial/fungal spray from her husband's veterinary clinic on her equipment. Another lady used only soap and water. A fourth hasn't done anything yet and played a different local course today, but said she planned to clean hers tonight. So far I'm the only one that cleaned inside my bag.

I understand that the instructions to clean and disinfect instructions came from the pro shop.   The questions you asked was about what to use since it seems that most of your group is doing something different, they didn't tell you what products you should use.  That was the piece the pro shop should have also explained.  

10 hours ago, artful_golfer said:

Does sand, dirt and pieces of grass fall down in your bag? I was surprised at the grass that came out of my bag when I poured out the water.

Unless you clean your clubs after every shot, there will be dirt and grass  in the bottom of the bag.  

• Like 1

I would be a bit more concerned about hands, gloves and grips. Whatever type of fungus there was transferred to the ball - then glove or hand when you picked it up and then to the grips. I'll bet it stays on the grip or glove a lot longer than on the club head itself. 

5 hours ago, tony@CIC said:

I would be a bit more concerned about hands, gloves and grips. Whatever type of fungus there was transferred to the ball - then glove or hand when you picked it up and then to the grips. I'll bet it stays on the grip or glove a lot longer than on the club head itself. 

The same thought about transferring went through my mind. That's why I soaked virtually everything in the disinfectant mix and then pour the it down inside my bag.

• Like 1