Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

MGS testing opportunities

Peterpc2828

I like many others only apply for things that I am interested in testing or have the time to test.   I have had the opportunity to be a part of the most wanted testing so I have tested a lot of the clubs already.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

We try to social media the hell out of every one of these opportunities (is 'social media' a verb?) - but some things resonate more than others. The Matrix shafts opportunity went pretty well for shafts - it moved the needle more than any other shaft testing we've done in the past couple of years. It didn't get the same love or attention on social media because the day that went live was the day TaylorMade's sales was announced, so it just got lost in the shuffle.

We have a couple coming up in the next two weeks that are very interesting, but they probably won't create the same kind of buzz as PING or Callaway, but that's just the nature of the beast. We try to collect products across a pretty wide spectrum that we think will be of interest to our membership - sometimes we hit it, sometimes we miss it!

I really hope one in the next few weeks is the bombtech grenade driver. I'm interested to see how they perform.

I'm an infrequent contributor, yet basically daily reader of the forums. Until recently (to the best of my recollection), I haven't requested to participate in any testing for exactly the reasons others have stated. If I commit to something, I want to give my best, so if I anticipate that other commitments would prevent me from executing and reporting a high quality review, I don't bother with putting my name in the hat.

I am amazed at the review opportunities that MGS has presented over the years. Very cool.

Cheers!

<p>In my bag: Ping G LS Tec 9* Tour 65 Stiff, Cobra F8 3-4 wood HZRDUS Yellow 6.0, Calloway 21* X Forged Utility iron (steel stiff), Ping G30 white dot 4-9 Stiff 110 gm KBS tours  Scor 48,52,56,60 Wedges, Nike Method Core MC3</p><p>

I try to put in for opportunities that I feel I can give a good review on. I didn't put in for the ping i200 because I feel like that is above the skill level in play. Probably not the best person to test a crossover type iron.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Bryan Pool

Ping G20 Driver

Bombtech hybrids

Ping G20 green dot irons/wedges

Cleveland Huntington beach 6 putter 

I agree with most here that in order to do the review service you have to have some level of interest in the product. I like many have stated already only apply to the products I think I could provide a serious complete review. 

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

I too am in the camp of not applying for anything that I'm not interested in. Also, because I was just picked to test the skygolf watch, I won't apply for anything for a while as I don't want to seem greedy. 

What I can't stand, is the blow ins. They apply for testing and do nothing else with the site, then get all pissed off if they're not picked and not come back. Obviously the site is better for it, but c'mon, how about you contribute, you might find you like it a little bit.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

I too am in the camp of not applying for anything that I'm not interested in. Also, because I was just picked to test the skygolf watch, I won't apply for anything for a while as I don't want to seem greedy. 

What I can't stand, is the blow ins. They apply for testing and do nothing else with the site, then get all pissed off if they're not picked and not come back. Obviously the site is better for it, but c'mon, how about you contribute, you might find you like it a little bit.

They are missing the best part of MGS if they don't join in the community and enjoy all the other benefits. Testing is a good thing however don't overlook the good times to be had at MGS!

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

I believe the time we have available to test is limited, so it only makes sense to focus your energy into one thing at a time.
Ideally, a minimum of 2 rounds and 2 range sessions per week.

I didn't apply for the PING irons and wedges for example, cause I just don't get along with PING and I would also be biased going in.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

It's really nice to see so many genuine members on this forum. It's been a big help for me in just the past month since I joined and you can tell those who are in it for some free stuff vs. those that really buy into the mission of MSG.  I agree with most posters here that I would only submit for products I'm interested in but also add that I wouldn't submit for products that I just can't test to the degree they should be tested.  For example, with the Epic Drivers. I don't think it would be fair for me to test because in my experience, a driver can (and should be) custom fitted, the shaft can make such a big difference. I wouldn't want to test a product like this and compare to my current driver that has a custom shaft, loft, etc.  just wouldn't be fair, no matter how much I would love to have an Epic.  I don't share the same perspective for irons (as long as they aren't player/tour irons) or tech.

It's really nice to see so many genuine members on this forum. It's been a big help for me in just the past month since I joined and you can tell those who are in it for some free stuff vs. those that really buy into the mission of MSG.  I agree with most posters here that I would only submit for products I'm interested in but also add that I wouldn't submit for products that I just can't test to the degree they should be tested.  For example, with the Epic Drivers. I don't think it would be fair for me to test because in my experience, a driver can (and should be) custom fitted, the shaft can make such a big difference. I wouldn't want to test a product like this and compare to my current driver that has a custom shaft, loft, etc.  just wouldn't be fair, no matter how much I would love to have an Epic.  I don't share the same perspective for irons (as long as they aren't player/tour irons) or tech.

Yeah, that's a great point about the driver testing. The equipment companies often only gives you the option of the stock shaft to test, and that may not fit you, so unless you're willing to put a shaft in yourself that you've purchased, you might not know if you are getting the optimum numbers from the driver. If they really wanted to prove their driver is better, they should give you the option to go get fitted somewhere in your area for the driver and then send it to you with the specs you were fitted for. Then you could do a great review on the driver with no doubt that it's set up perfectly for you. When I did my putter testing for MGS, one of the first things I did was to get the putter bent flat to my specs and replaced the stock grip to one that fit me better. I don't think my testing would have went as well as it did if I didn't make the putter fit me better.

Titleist TS3 9.5* w/Accra TZ5 65 X-Stiff
Titleist TS3 15* w/Fujikura Ventus 7X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 20* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 23* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Titleist 718 CB 5 iron w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist 718 MB 6-PW w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist SM7 Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Bettinardi Queen B 10 34.5"
Titleist Pro V1 or Snell MTB-X

So if I sign up as a new member and put "spy" in part of my name, but still don't load an Avatar, I must be a shoe-in right... :D

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Callaway gets this about the Epic - they want to make sure the testers we select do go through a basic fitting process to make sure they get the right shaft out of their no-charge upgrade collection. Smart move on their part...

Very smart move and i didn't realize the test club would come with shaft choice. That's pretty rockin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Then Jesus told him, "Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed." John 20:29

WITB:

Driver:   2017 M2 
3/5 Woods:  2014 Big Bertha 
4/5 Hybrids:  Mashie+ 
Irons:  Apex CF16 6-PW w/Recoil 110
Wedges:  RTX3 MB 48/54/58
Putter:  White Hot Pro #3 w/SS 2.0
Ball: â€‹Z-Star Yellow

Funny....some people who may do a search for "best driver 2017" or like a page on Facebook or run across MGS on Instagram or Twitter in some other way see it as a way to "get a (very expensive) free [x]!" .... and are off and running; they don't realize the work you are expected -- rightly so -- to put in so that you can provide true unbiased feedback.

If you read/know the MGS mission that is what they are all about - cutting through the crap and getting to the heart of the matter.  Is this [x] worth it or not?  And that, along with many other things, is why people are here.  Don't sell me b.s. about adding an extra 24 yards or any of that other crap, is this worth my hard-earned money or not?

One of the best ways to determine that is to put it into the hands of **real** people and let them take it for a drive and have them give a thorough and honest review.

As others have said - it is really an honor to be selected as a tester considering the huge number of applications but that is a somewhat of an unwritten contract between you and the staff at MGS.  "we want you to test this and we have a certain level of expectation in regards to your feedback".  It takes a -- real commitment -- to provide a quality review and if you aren't up for it then you honestly shouldn't bother asking to be selected.

And this isn't a hit-and-run either.... you aren't prevented from adding additional feedback after the various stages of the review are complete.  Months, years, seasons later - is it still working as you expect, hope, thought?  Did it break/fall apart/stop for some reason?  Let's hear it!

I'm not in marketing and sales but I've read a lot of articles about tricks and things that can be employed to get you to buy so I'm already skeptical.  I love coming here and reading the reviews because it really both simplifies things and gets right to the crux of the argument.  

I don't envy the staff that are tasked with choosing testers.  In some cases there's a good bit of background and info to go on and in others it purely is faith.  So far I think they've done a good job in the people that they've chosen.  I'm sure there are cases where they'd change some things but all-in-all the reviewers have done good work and the guys at MGS should give themselves a pat on the back.  

Looking forward to seeing more and more good reviews this year!

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

I've been fortunate enough to do a number of reviews.  Generally speaking I will only apply where I think that my comments might be of benefit to the community and there's something about the product that grabs my attention.

I'm not at all surprised that Ping Irons and a hot new Callaway driver would garner such interest.  I also think that the limited number of testers may have reduced the number of applicants for the Cobra irons. 

I put in for both sets of irons but won't for the driver.  My current driver fits well - I wasn't able to gain any appreciable yardage at a driver fitting that I went to last spring and don't see that this would happen now - I just don't hit the ball far enough to gain much from a different driver - give me the right loft with the proper shaft on any driver and I'm going to get a ball speed of 130 or so, launch angel around 15 spin rate in the low 2000's and carry of about 210 - I'm confident that I can get this with any driver from any OEM - right loft/shaft combo - so what would it prove?  I'd end up saying - nice driver - looks great - unlikely to purchase because the .7 yard gain isn't worth $440.  :)

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Well Said Stroker  And Preach Rev!!

Well Said Stroker  And Preach Rev!!

Thanks man... cool avatar... even though I'm a Duke fan!

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

Thanks man... cool avatar... even though I'm a Duke fan!

HA!!  You can blame MDGolfHacker, he made it for me after I posted  somethng last week about wanting a cool Avatar.  Also props to Shanskter for sending me one as well that was very cool. 

Callaway gets this about the Epic - they want to make sure the testers we select do go through a basic fitting process to make sure they get the right shaft out of their no-charge upgrade collection.  Smart move on their part...

Wow, that's very interesting!

<p>In my bag: Ping G LS Tec 9* Tour 65 Stiff, Cobra F8 3-4 wood HZRDUS Yellow 6.0, Calloway 21* X Forged Utility iron (steel stiff), Ping G30 white dot 4-9 Stiff 110 gm KBS tours  Scor 48,52,56,60 Wedges, Nike Method Core MC3</p><p>

I'm in the same boat as many. I've only put in for like 1 or two things. I have the benefit of working in a golf shop that carries a lot of stuff. I can demo certain clubs any time I want, so it doesn't make much sense for me to take an opportunity away from someone.

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

I reckon I'm a little late to the party so I can't really say anything that hasn't already been said. I couldn't agree more with what's already been said....I will not be entering the epic review as I've already played it it's not for me and I'm afraid I couldn't give an objective review! I have entered several review opportunities but they were all items I was very much interested in. Good luck to all who receive the opportunity to review items and I look forward to hearing from you!!

Driver: Ping G30 Tour 65

Fairway: Ping G30 Tour 80

Hybrid: Taylormade SLDR S 21*

Irons: Mizuno MP-54 KBS TOUR S

Wedges: Mizuno MP-T4 50* KBS TOUR,

Titleist Vokey 55*, 60* KBS Hi-RevS

Putter: SeeMore fgp Original 35", 69*, 2.5*

Ball: Bridgestone B-330 S

Anecdotally, I'd started out, as many others I suspect, reading equipment reviews in the MGS forums before becoming an active participant. For me, the real player comments meant a lot more .. and carried a lot more weight .. than major mag "star" or medal ratings.

I was fortunate to become a tester .. in a product I was *very* interested in .. and as Rev and others said only applied where I felt I had the potential to get some real utility out of the product and then could return meaningful feedback.

(So, no, my name is not in the Epic list either.)

In fact, I believe the testing opportunity actually helped improve my game a bit - I had to actually pay attention to what the club was doing when it impacted the ball and then to what the results were.

As it turns out, the clubs - the Hogan VKTR hybrids - were not for me .. as a less than "better player" .. but then I still get to give that feedback to the community and to any other casual readers.

So.. the tester experience helped me become more knowledgeable about hybrids and also helped steer me into making better choices for my own bag!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Sorry off topic. Where are the 5 likes?! I've been waiting for a post with 5 likes! It's like the phantom.

put in a like I'll try to help you out I agree with pretty much everything said, I apply if it is something I would be genuinely interested in testing. Plus just the opportunity is thrilling, get the chance to be selected to test hyped products! Heck yea! I love that it is a way members can give back to the mgs community.

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi3 Tester Check out the Review HERE

2-Iron- :Sub70: 699-U

5-Wood:  :Sub70: Pro (18*) 

Irons :  :ping-small: i210 4-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  RTX-4 50* and 54* RTX-3 *58

Putter::1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact No. 3

Ball:  MAXFLI TOUR 

Tracked by: :Arccos:  

Bag: BagBoy ZTF Stand Bag (REVIEW HERE)

cksurfdude -  I fully agree that certain testing opportunities create the opportunity for the tester to improve his game.  For me it was the SCOR testing vs. my Wilson short irons.  I hit so many irons head to head on a par 3 course that summer that it got to where I was extremely dialed in for anything between 120 and 90. 

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Quick someone like post #43 so we can eclipse the 5 like mark!

Yeah, that would be .. _Epic_ .. .. ..

(ha ha ha ha ha ha ha)

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

I do apply for almost everything. I have two reasons for this. One, only testing stuff you think you'll like is a form of bias. Go in with an open mind. Irons are too, "GI" you don't, "get along" with brand X? You've never tried this stuff, how do you know? Maybe it will work great for you, maybe that will inspire another person similar to you to give it a shot! On the other hand, if you go in with the attitude of, "I'm gonna love this!" That isn't exactly an unbiased opinion either!

So, my second reason for applying often is, I really like reviewing things. I love equipment, I love testing it out, I love sharing what I found with other people. The review process itself is fun! In fact, the only reason I haven't applied for much recently is because I was selected for the Ping irons and I want to focus on giving them a proper review.

Now, I'm not taking a dig at anyone who tests left often for the reasons I stated above. Those are all excellent reasons, they just aren't reasons for me! Happy testing!

Driver:  :ping-small:  G 10.5* W/Tour Stiff 65g Ping Shaft   

Fairway Woods:  :cobra-small:  Cobra F6 13.5*, F6 Baffler 16*  

Irons: Split Set-  :ping-small: i200 3i - 7i ,  :benhogan-small: Ft Worth 15s, 8 (36), 9 (40), PW (44) 

Wedges: :benhogan-small:  TK, 52* & 56*

Putter:  :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin 

Bag:  :ping-small: Hoofer 5way

Balls:  :taylormade-small: TP5/X