Jump to content

Pace of Play Question


Recommended Posts

I may be completely off my rocker but I am a firm believer that motorized golf carts are the biggest issue to slow play most of the time. If golfers were required to walk, pace would actually improve. My basis for this is the fact that pace of play issues are not as prevalent in other countries where walking is far more commonplace.

I can't begin to explain the number of times I have seen guys driving aimlessly around a particular hole searching for golf balls for seemingly endless amounts of time. Far longer than the three minute limit set forth by the USGA. Two guys in a cart with one range finder on opposite sides of the fairway. One has to wait for the other to get a measurement before driving 150 yards to the second ball to begin the process of playing a shot. CPO makes it worse because guys don't know how to maneuver a golf course anyway considering most are conditioned to ride in a cart without knowing simple procedures to help speed themselves along.

Walking takes each player directly to their golf ball. Thus eliminating many of the pitfalls that inherently slow play down in a motorized cart. The issue in the States is, courses would never forego the additional revenue cart rental provides to make walking-only a more common practice. Praise be to Mike Keiser for creating Bandon and refusing to cave to the pressure of having motorized carts.

An unpopular opinion, I'm sure. But one I stand behind firmly!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
4 hours ago, sixcat said:

I may be completely off my rocker but I am a firm believer that motorized golf carts are the biggest issue to slow play most of the time. If golfers were required to walk, pace would actually improve. My basis for this is the fact that pace of play issues are not as prevalent in other countries where walking is far more commonplace.

I can't begin to explain the number of times I have seen guys driving aimlessly around a particular hole searching for golf balls for seemingly endless amounts of time. Far longer than the three minute limit set forth by the USGA. Two guys in a cart with one range finder on opposite sides of the fairway. One has to wait for the other to get a measurement before driving 150 yards to the second ball to begin the process of playing a shot. CPO makes it worse because guys don't know how to maneuver a golf course anyway considering most are conditioned to ride in a cart without knowing simple procedures to help speed themselves along.

Walking takes each player directly to their golf ball. Thus eliminating many of the pitfalls that inherently slow play down in a motorized cart. The issue in the States is, courses would never forego the additional revenue cart rental provides to make walking-only a more common practice. Praise be to Mike Keiser for creating Bandon and refusing to cave to the pressure of having motorized carts.

An unpopular opinion, I'm sure. But one I stand behind firmly!

I don't think you are far off here.  I bought a push cart a few years back and I use it every chance I get as I don't want to pay for the cart, it's healthier and I experience the golf better! When on vacation I'm cool with carts but I love it when courses allow you to walk. 

  • Like 2

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi3 Tester Check out the Review HERE

3-wood:  :adams-small:  Tight Lies (15*) 

5-Wood:  :Sub70: Pro (18*) 

Irons :  :ping-small: i210 4-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  RTX-4 50* and 54* RTX-3 *58

Putter::1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact No. 3

Ball:  MAXFLI TOUR 

Tracked by: :Arccos:  

Link to comment
4 hours ago, sixcat said:

I may be completely off my rocker but I am a firm believer that motorized golf carts are the biggest issue to slow play most of the time. If golfers were required to walk, pace would actually improve. My basis for this is the fact that pace of play issues are not as prevalent in other countries where walking is far more commonplace.

I can't begin to explain the number of times I have seen guys driving aimlessly around a particular hole searching for golf balls for seemingly endless amounts of time. Far longer than the three minute limit set forth by the USGA. Two guys in a cart with one range finder on opposite sides of the fairway. One has to wait for the other to get a measurement before driving 150 yards to the second ball to begin the process of playing a shot. CPO makes it worse because guys don't know how to maneuver a golf course anyway considering most are conditioned to ride in a cart without knowing simple procedures to help speed themselves along.

Walking takes each player directly to their golf ball. Thus eliminating many of the pitfalls that inherently slow play down in a motorized cart. The issue in the States is, courses would never forego the additional revenue cart rental provides to make walking-only a more common practice. Praise be to Mike Keiser for creating Bandon and refusing to cave to the pressure of having motorized carts.

An unpopular opinion, I'm sure. But one I stand behind firmly!

It still boils down to the guy using the cart. Yes they may be in carts but it is not the cart that is slowing them down. 

  • Like 3

:taylormade-small:             SIM 9.5* (GD XC 6X) 

:taylormade-small:             SIM 15* (GD DI 7X) 

:taylormade-small:             3 DHY (GD DI HY8X)

:srixon-small:                    ZX7 4-PW (KBS C Taper S)

:titelist-small:                     Vokey SM8 49 08 F ( KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                     Vokey SM8 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                     Vokey SM8 59 04 L  (KBS 610)

:scotty-cameron-1:                Special Select SquareBack 2 33"

:titelist-small:                     ProV1

Twitter                     @THEZIPR23

 

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

Link to comment
Just now, THEZIPR23 said:

It still boils down to the guy using the cart. Yes they may be in carts but it is not the cart that is slowing them down. 

 

... Yup! I generally find walkers to play faster. Go to their own ball and play ready golf. That said, I have been behind groups that all wander to one ball at a time, watch the shot, then all walk to the next ball instead of all going to their ball. I have said this many time but I think there are basically only 2 types of golfers. Those that are considerate of others and those that are not. 

  • Like 7

Driver:   TaylorMade SIM2 Max 10.5* ... Diamana Ltd 60R
Fairway:  TaylorMade SIM2 Max 15* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
                 TaylorMade SIM2 Max 18* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
Utility:   TaylorMade DHy 19* ... Diamana Ltd 65R
              Taylor Made Sim Hybrid 22* ... Diamana Ltd 75R
Irons:    4-Pw Cobra King Tour MIM ... Steelfiber 95R
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 50* ... Steelfiber 95R
                 Vokey SM8 58* ... Steelfiber 95R
Putter:  Cleveland Hunting Beach Soft 11S 33.5"
Ball:      TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

Link to comment
1 minute ago, chisag said:

I have been behind groups that all wander to one ball at a time, watch the shot, then all walk to the next ball instead of all going to their ball. 

I have quite literally, never seen this in 35 years of playing the game! Seeing something like this would definitely alter my perception and likely force me to amend my belief.

  • Like 1
  • Hmmm 1
Link to comment
5 minutes ago, THEZIPR23 said:

It still boils down to the guy using the cart. Yes they may be in carts but it is not the cart that is slowing them down. 

In theory a cart should be faster every time right!? 

1 minute ago, chisag said:

 

... Yup! I generally find walkers to play faster. Go to their own ball and play ready golf. That said, I have been behind groups that all wander to one ball at a time, watch the shot, then all walk to the next ball instead of all going to their ball. I have said this many time but I think there are basically only 2 types of golfers. Those that are considerate of others and those that are not. 

LOL really? I have never seen that! Ever, what's the point of walking at that point? 

There is a lot of truth to this too.  Sometimes problems like this arise simply out of some not being aware enough of others around them, which can be applied to a lot of things in life. 

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi3 Tester Check out the Review HERE

3-wood:  :adams-small:  Tight Lies (15*) 

5-Wood:  :Sub70: Pro (18*) 

Irons :  :ping-small: i210 4-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  RTX-4 50* and 54* RTX-3 *58

Putter::1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact No. 3

Ball:  MAXFLI TOUR 

Tracked by: :Arccos:  

Link to comment
4 minutes ago, HeathS16 said:

In theory a cart should be faster every time right!? 

LOL really? I have never seen that! Ever, what's the point of walking at that point? 

There is a lot of truth to this too.  Sometimes problems like this arise simply out of some not being aware enough of others around them, which can be applied to a lot of things in life. 

Yes. But Sam is right in that it is those who care and those who don't. @sixcat is right too in the fact that most of the people who fall in the don't care camp ride in carts.

Slow play no matter how you slice it comes down to the individual golfer. 

  • Like 3

:taylormade-small:             SIM 9.5* (GD XC 6X) 

:taylormade-small:             SIM 15* (GD DI 7X) 

:taylormade-small:             3 DHY (GD DI HY8X)

:srixon-small:                    ZX7 4-PW (KBS C Taper S)

:titelist-small:                     Vokey SM8 49 08 F ( KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                     Vokey SM8 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                     Vokey SM8 59 04 L  (KBS 610)

:scotty-cameron-1:                Special Select SquareBack 2 33"

:titelist-small:                     ProV1

Twitter                     @THEZIPR23

 

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

Link to comment
36 minutes ago, THEZIPR23 said:

It still boils down to the guy using the cart. Yes they may be in carts but it is not the cart that is slowing them down. 

Semantics, I suppose. The cart provides a false sense of security where pace of play is concerned. Some people couldn't possibly be slow because they ride in a cart. I've seen it, and heard people say it, for 35 years. The cart, in the mind of some people, automatically means faster play. Which couldn't be father from reality!

Just last night, a guy giving his new girlfriend a golf lesson wouldn't let me go off #1 ahead of him. His reasoning was, I was walking, they were riding. I couldn't possibly play as fast as them. Considering the young lady hadn't ever stepped foot on a golf course, he was terribly wrong. I played all up his a$$ for three holes until he finally let me go ahead of them on the 4th tee. Where he proceeded to make the statement "I'm not waiting on you! Move along or I'm hitting into you!"

I laughed and walked away. But standing in the parking lot at dusk, I made sure to let him know I was coming off the 18th green while he and his girlfriend were being escorted off of #9 by staff due to darkness.

My point, I think we're saying similar things in very different ways!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
59 minutes ago, sixcat said:

I have quite literally, never seen this in 35 years of playing the game! Seeing something like this would definitely alter my perception and likely force me to amend my belief.

 

... Remember I play up to 6 and 7 times a week and at least 75% of the time as a single so while it is certainly not a common occurrence, it is not rare either. Usually older guys although I have been behind women in a 4some that did it too. Although to be fair 4 women are usually the fastest players. We past one group at a retirement community course in Chicago that said "we have nowhere to be and just enjoying each others company so please play through". I am surprised you have not run across this. It happened in the midwest more than here in Phoenix but it happens here too. I should add it is always golfers with push carts, never walkers carrying. And as you have stated, it happens MUCH more with riding carts than with walkers. 

  • Like 3

Driver:   TaylorMade SIM2 Max 10.5* ... Diamana Ltd 60R
Fairway:  TaylorMade SIM2 Max 15* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
                 TaylorMade SIM2 Max 18* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
Utility:   TaylorMade DHy 19* ... Diamana Ltd 65R
              Taylor Made Sim Hybrid 22* ... Diamana Ltd 75R
Irons:    4-Pw Cobra King Tour MIM ... Steelfiber 95R
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 50* ... Steelfiber 95R
                 Vokey SM8 58* ... Steelfiber 95R
Putter:  Cleveland Hunting Beach Soft 11S 33.5"
Ball:      TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

Link to comment
1 minute ago, chisag said:

 

... Remember I play up to 6 and 7 times a week and at least 75% of the time as a single so while it is certainly not a common occurrence, it is not rare either. Usually older guys although I have been behind women in a 4some that did it too. Although to be fair 4 women are usually the fastest players. We past one group at a retirement community course in Chicago that said "we have nowhere to be and just enjoying each others company so please play through". I am surprised you have not run across this. It happened in the midwest more than here in Phoenix but it happens here too. I should add it is always golfers with push carts, never walkers carrying. And as you have stated, it happens MUCH more with riding carts than with walkers. 

I can't get over the first sentence here, 6-7 times per week! That's the dream! 

But seriously, the statement of groups of women being the fastest is truth! Played behind a 4some two days ago and my buddy and I didn't catch them until hole 3! They immediately let us through and were awesome! Even ribbed me for a shot that missed the fairway. 

 

Not surprised that it would be push cart guys, the times I have carried I don't want that many extra steps if I can help it! 

  • Like 1

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi3 Tester Check out the Review HERE

3-wood:  :adams-small:  Tight Lies (15*) 

5-Wood:  :Sub70: Pro (18*) 

Irons :  :ping-small: i210 4-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  RTX-4 50* and 54* RTX-3 *58

Putter::1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact No. 3

Ball:  MAXFLI TOUR 

Tracked by: :Arccos:  

Link to comment

... LOL, 6-7 times a week when the weather is great. Normally only 4-5 times a week. 🤪  

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Driver:   TaylorMade SIM2 Max 10.5* ... Diamana Ltd 60R
Fairway:  TaylorMade SIM2 Max 15* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
                 TaylorMade SIM2 Max 18* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
Utility:   TaylorMade DHy 19* ... Diamana Ltd 65R
              Taylor Made Sim Hybrid 22* ... Diamana Ltd 75R
Irons:    4-Pw Cobra King Tour MIM ... Steelfiber 95R
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 50* ... Steelfiber 95R
                 Vokey SM8 58* ... Steelfiber 95R
Putter:  Cleveland Hunting Beach Soft 11S 33.5"
Ball:      TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

Link to comment
13 hours ago, chisag said:

 

... Remember I play up to 6 and 7 times a week and at least 75% of the time as a single so while it is certainly not a common occurrence, it is not rare either. Usually older guys although I have been behind women in a 4some that did it too. Although to be fair 4 women are usually the fastest players. We past one group at a retirement community course in Chicago that said "we have nowhere to be and just enjoying each others company so please play through". I am surprised you have not run across this. It happened in the midwest more than here in Phoenix but it happens here too. I should add it is always golfers with push carts, never walkers carrying. And as you have stated, it happens MUCH more with riding carts than with walkers. 

I play every day, weather permitting. My kids are both in high school and self sufficient and my wife travels a lot for work. I play golf every afternoon after leaving the office. Some days are better than others. I can't always get out of the office in time to get in 18 holes. Two-thirds of the afternoon rounds are either 9 or 12 holes. This certainly hasn't always been the case considering I was responsible for dinner, homework and bedtime routine when my daughters were younger. But by-in-large, I have averaged 4+ days a week for 30 years.

I mentioned this to a few regular walkers at my club last night. None of the five of us could ever recall seeing anything similar. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I would like to say I'm shocked at how many people on here are fine with a 4.5 hour or longer round, but I'm not.  It explains why so many rounds take so unbearably long.  Golf should NEVER take longer than 4 hours--3 to 3.5 is actually far more reasonable and the standard in most of the rest of the world.

1. Even though you have a cart, it's not illegal to do some walking. Drop one guy off at his ball and go to the other to prepare to hit.  Your buddy can then walk to the cart after hitting his shot.

2. Do not wait until it is your turn to even begin thinking about your shot. You should be ready to hit when it's your turn.

3. One practice swing.

4. Stop standing over the ball forever before your swing.  You are not Jack Nicklaus.

5. Save the jokes and stories for when it's not someone's turn to hit.  There is nothing more aggravating than being behind a group that is already two holes behind and they are all standing on the tee listening to one guy tell his hilariously funny anecdote.

I coached golf for 25 years and have helped many friends improve their game.  One of the biggest tips I've given for improvement is "Play faster."  I have never gotten someone to speed up and not seen their scores improve.  Rhythm gets better and they stop hitting horrible shots caused by "paralysis through analysis."  

Final thought--Slow play is very much like smoking.  It's bad for you, but even more egregious is that it negatively affects all the innocent people stuck being around you.

  • Like 1

😧 Wilson Triton

3w: PXG 341

5W: Cleveland launcher 

3H: Wilson Deep Red

5-GW: PXG 0211

SW LW: Mizuno MP T5

P: Scott Cameron Newport

Link to comment
On 7/8/2021 at 4:25 PM, THEZIPR23 said:

Yes. But Sam is right in that it is those who care and those who don't. @sixcat is right too in the fact that most of the people who fall in the don't care camp ride in carts.

Slow play no matter how you slice it comes down to the individual golfer. 

Yes, 100%.  Yesterday I was a single, behind 3 decent golfers.  I actually fell behind them, but no one was behind me.  But I’ve also been behind another single that was slow as 10w40 in the UP winter.

It really comes down to the skill of the people in the group.  A few years ago, my dad and I were playing behind some guys that couldn’t even reach the fairway, and they absolutely insisted on playing from the tips.  They would have probably had a lot more fun, and kept pace a lot better from the front tees.  That was a 5 hour round, which halfway through I lost my patience.


Behind those three guys yesterday, on an unfamiliar course I did 18 in 2:35, those guys were even quicker.  
 

personally I think 4 hour rounds are ridiculously slow.  3 tops.  Anything north of 4 is just too dang long.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 6/7/2021 at 5:57 PM, HeathS16 said:

We ended up completing our round about 10 behind pace but were not being pushed by the twosome behind us.

I think that most people will agree... pace of play is dictated by the group in front of you and not by the group behind you.

Also, I've been playing golf for well over 30 years and have belong to several different clubs. Not one of them had an average anything close to a 4.5 hour round, and if they did, I would not have been a member there.

My final point... I belonged to a club that would ask you to pick up and proceed to the next tee after 2 warnings to pickup the pace. That particular club had the best marshals, and if any paying customers gave the marshals a hard time they would ask the group to leave the course, report to the proshop and receive their refund. They were also told not to return again unless they could keep pace of play. That was 20 years ago... and the club has since been purchased by Club Link.

  • Like 1
What's in my Ping Pioneer Bag
Ping G400 Max 9.5˚, Alta CB 55 S-Flex
XXIO 4w, 7w, 5h, 6h, MP900 Graphite R-Flex
Callaway Apex '21 Forged 6-PW, UST Mamiya Recoil Dart 75 F3
Titleist Vokey Tour Chrome SM8 50.12F, 54.12D, 58.10S, Mitsubishi Tensei Pro AM2 Red R-Flex
LAB Golf DF 2.1 Black with Custom 1+28 Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour Black, LAB Press OG 3.0 Grip
Callaway Chrome Soft #1 Lost Ball on Tour - Mark Crossfield
Link to comment
On 7/10/2021 at 10:19 AM, Shankster said:

Yes, 100%.  Yesterday I was a single, behind 3 decent golfers.  I actually fell behind them, but no one was behind me.  But I’ve also been behind another single that was slow as 10w40 in the UP winter.

It really comes down to the skill of the people in the group.  A few years ago, my dad and I were playing behind some guys that couldn’t even reach the fairway, and they absolutely insisted on playing from the tips.  They would have probably had a lot more fun, and kept pace a lot better from the front tees.  That was a 5 hour round, which halfway through I lost my patience.


Behind those three guys yesterday, on an unfamiliar course I did 18 in 2:35, those guys were even quicker.  
 

personally I think 4 hour rounds are ridiculously slow.  3 tops.  Anything north of 4 is just too dang long.

I agree anything north of 4 hours just drags. I Mean, on a good driving day I can walk 18 in 2:15 flat. Those are the best mornings.... 🙂 

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi3 Tester Check out the Review HERE

3-wood:  :adams-small:  Tight Lies (15*) 

5-Wood:  :Sub70: Pro (18*) 

Irons :  :ping-small: i210 4-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  RTX-4 50* and 54* RTX-3 *58

Putter::1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact No. 3

Ball:  MAXFLI TOUR 

Tracked by: :Arccos:  

Link to comment
On 7/10/2021 at 10:36 AM, Riverboat said:

I would like to say I'm shocked at how many people on here are fine with a 4.5 hour or longer round, but I'm not.  It explains why so many rounds take so unbearably long.  Golf should NEVER take longer than 4 hours--3 to 3.5 is actually far more reasonable and the standard in most of the rest of the world.

1. Even though you have a cart, it's not illegal to do some walking. Drop one guy off at his ball and go to the other to prepare to hit.  Your buddy can then walk to the cart after hitting his shot.

2. Do not wait until it is your turn to even begin thinking about your shot. You should be ready to hit when it's your turn.

3. One practice swing.

4. Stop standing over the ball forever before your swing.  You are not Jack Nicklaus.

5. Save the jokes and stories for when it's not someone's turn to hit.  There is nothing more aggravating than being behind a group that is already two holes behind and they are all standing on the tee listening to one guy tell his hilariously funny anecdote.

I coached golf for 25 years and have helped many friends improve their game.  One of the biggest tips I've given for improvement is "Play faster."  I have never gotten someone to speed up and not seen their scores improve.  Rhythm gets better and they stop hitting horrible shots caused by "paralysis through analysis."  

Final thought--Slow play is very much like smoking.  It's bad for you, but even more egregious is that it negatively affects all the innocent people stuck being around you.

I don't disagree,  but if you're like me and play muni's and public courses, it will definitely take no less than 4 hours. They pack the players on and they don't really care about time... even though they make a show of caring.

I find no difference in walkers vs. carters as far as time goes. I've walked my fair share in the past. I can no longer walk more than 9 due to back problems and a surgically repaired shoulder. 

Unless there is no one ahead of you... and the guy(s) ahead of them, it is just going to be 4 - 4.5 hours.

 

Link to comment
16 minutes ago, silver & black said:

I don't disagree,  but if you're like me and play muni's and public courses, it will definitely take no less than 4 hours. They pack the players on and they don't really care about time... even though they make a show of caring.

I find no difference in walkers vs. carters as far as time goes. I've walked my fair share in the past. I can no longer walk more than 9 due to back problems and a surgically repaired shoulder. 

Unless there is no one ahead of you... and the guy(s) ahead of them, it is just going to be 4 - 4.5 hours.

I play a muni a lot, and it really depends on the day and time. Last summer my buddy and I played every other Wednesday at 8-8:30am. I was home and eating lunch by 12. I played a semi-private this weekend and it was a hair over 4 hours on a Saturday afternoon, which really wasn't bad all things considered. 

Anything over 4.5 hours and yeah, it's a complete drag. Especially this time of year when it can get humid pretty quickly. It's just physically draining to try and grind it out in those conditions. 

  • Like 2

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:wilson_staff_small:  D7 
:callaway-small:  GBB 3W (lofted to 4W)
:callaway-small: V-Series Heavenwood
:cobra-small: Baffler XL 5i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54*
:ping-small: iWedge 58*
:cleveland-small: #10
Whatever ball I have 3 dozen of that my kids got me as a gift

Twitter: @russtopherb

 

Link to comment

On any public or semi-private (especially on weekends), I expect 4.5+ hours. Doesn't bother me, I use it to relax and enjoy the day and thank the good Lord that I am able to play golf that day 🙂 It's nice not to be rushed sometimes.

  • Like 3

My Weapons of Grass Destruction 🏌️‍♂️

:titelist-small: TS2 10.5* Hzrdus Smoke S

:titelist-small: 917F2 15* Diamana Blue 70 S

:titelist-small: 818H1 19* Evenflow Blue 85HY S

:titelist-small: 716 AP2 4-P AMT S300

:vokey-small: SM7 50.12 F bent 1* weak, SM7 56.14 F, SM7 60.08 M - S200

:odyssey-small: Black Series 3

RH - Ontario 🇨🇦 and Ohio 🇺🇸

Avg. score 85-92

 

Link to comment
On 6/9/2021 at 5:59 PM, HeathS16 said:

I wish the marshal had been more active in monitoring before issuing the verdict, at least observe 1 or 2 holes issue a verbal warning and then move them; because by the end of it nobody was happy

This is what most courses' marshals don't do.

From what I've observed, all they do is take their lap around the course, and if they see a gap between groups they stop and say something to the slower group, without asking if something held them up or watching the group to see if something unusual contributed to slowing them down.

I've also learned that there are courses who care about their players' golf experience, and there are courses that care only about their rounds/day tally sheet. Both monitor pace of play, but how they handle slow play is different. At the former, the marshals are polite and encourage quicker pace after observing or following the slow group. The latter only see an open area on the course or get their electronic message and act like a**-oles when they approach the golfers. Sounds like you encountered the latter. How you treat people matters, and not for nothing, if you (the course) are going to charge your players a premium rate, DON'T BE A DICK. You can see examples of this in my course review threads. My league has discontinued play at courses that treat people like crap. We had another this season that KNEW we were a tournament play group of 44 golfers and tried to do exactly what your group encountered, they tried to make a tournament play group skip a hole without observing or offering any warnings to the group, and rolled up and started calling the players names.

Looking at the slow play issue from both sides, more players than not play slower than they should. A major contributor to that is misuse of the two player cart. Golf is intended to be a walking game, so the concept/rule that the player further from the hole plays first/next is a matter of reaching that players ball first as you move down the line of the hole. Too often, two players sharing a cart stop at one ball at a time, and as mentioned earlier in the thread, each player goes through their exhaustive pre-shot routine. That's not 'Ready Golf', which means nothing more really than each player is READY to play their shot when it is their turn.

How do you do that in a 2-player cart? If there's not a really big gap between the two balls, the first player (doesn't matter which) at their ball gets out, gets their yardage, a club (or more) and starts to get ready for their shot. The 2nd player then drives the cart to their ball and does the same. The first player can then play their shot and walk (presumably forward) while the 2nd player plays, then everyone gets back in the cart and they move on. Making adjustments to that to accommodate assisting in finding an errant shot, CPO, and staying clear of another player's line of play, you can keep everyone moving. If you're not using the cart this way, you're group is probably playing too slow, regardless of the general or expected pace of play.

  • Like 1

Driver:  PXG 211 Project X Evenflow CB, 50g 5.5

Fariway:  PXG 211, 3-Wood Project X Evenflow CB, 60g 5.5

Hybrid:   PXG 211, 3H Project X Evenflow H, 80g, 5.5

Irons:  :titelist-small: T300 4-5, T200 6-PW Nippon 880 Pro R

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  CBX2 50*, 54*, 58*, TT Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2 Murdered Out

Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...