How'd you play?

MmmmmmBuddy

10 minutes ago, Dweed said:

Where ya going to play at?

Don't know; I don't make the tee time.   We have lots of courses in the area and the guy that makes our time hunts for online deals.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

3 hours ago, Green4Spinach said:

Finally. I did it. I submitted some scorecards so that I can get a handicap.

I know this may seem strange to some of you, but I don't have a handicap. I can already hear the comment: Who let this guy in? Having gone on a course for the first time in November 2023, I finally reached the point where I felt I would like to get a handicap. I use a Shot Scope X5 for shot tracking, and that estimates my score as being in the region of 28.

With those expectations, I was not surprised to register 103 on my first handicap scorecard. A few weeks later I registered 97 on my card. And now I have gone around for a score of 94. Although this was my best ever round, I felt somewhat deflated that my round had been sabotaged (by me, of course) by 6 penalty  points for having lost three balls. Twice I lost my ball on the same hole. Plus, I three putted more times than I could count. 

So the raw material is there for a decent round but it has not happened to me yet. 

The question that is obscured by my mistakes is this: how did I lower my score by 9 strokes in five weeks? Could it be my swing is just getting better? I'd like to think so. Is my driving more consistent? If gaining distance on my Shot Scope P-Average metric is anything to go by, then I moved from 216 yards to 233 yards over the last few weeks. My irons have improved. My dismal putting has got slightly less dismal. Only my short game has not seen quite the boost that must have happened to the rest of the game, as evidenced by my overall Strokes Gained metric improving by 5.3 strokes over a 25 handicapper. 

So how did this happen? 

One possible explanation is that I moved to a new ball, a distance ball. For the last few weeks, I have been a tester of the Vice Drive ball, a budget 2 piece ionomer ball. Check out my account of how my golf game is changing in front of my eyes as I lived with Vice Drive: 

Honestly, the only reason I ended up getting one was when I joined a league, just a couple years ago.  Before that, never really worried about a handicap.

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Driver

TaylorMade Stealth 3 wood

Titleist U510 Hybrid (3H)

TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Irons

Vokey SM8 Wedges (52/56/60)

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

11 minutes ago, Shlax said:

Miserable day on the course yesterday.

Played a round starting at noon and it was 38°c (100 F) under a scorching hot sun. To add to the challenge, there was a local club tournament a few groups in front of us. As a result, the course was backed up like I’ve never seen before. It seems like they were reading putts like Patrick Cantlay at the Masters... Proceeded to play the front-nine in just under 3 hours…

Of course, I played like sh** due to the heat and lack of momentum. Played the back-nine as painfully slowly as the front but with 5 penalty strokes after 5 holes for good measure. I then hit a perfect drive on hole 15 after a 20 minutes wait for the 2 groups waiting on the tee before us to play. Result: It was too long and reached a water hazard that I rarely, if ever, reach. I did not even go to my ball. I saluted my playing partners and wished them a good end of round and left the course.

It was the first time not finishing a round out of my own choosing. At this point, it had been more than 4 hours 30 minutes and we were starting hole 15: Enough is enough.

Next round planned for Friday. On to the next one.

Does not sound like a fun day, but as you said, on to the next. Memory of a goldfish. 

WITB

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Qi10 Max

Hybrid: 🐏 FX Max 5h

4i-9i: 🐏 FX Max 10

Wedges: :titleist-small: 48°, 52°, 56°

Putter:  :mizuno-small: M.Craft Type VI

Ball: :maxfli: Tour X

9 hours ago, alii1959 said:

I play on average 4 times per week and some days spend hours on the practice range and putting green.  Thus, it was cost effective for me to join a private club.   I wasn't sure about doing so, never have been before, and it is expensive.  But, the cost of public rounds has gone up enough that a few rounds a month, much less a week, begins to rival the cost of the private fees.  Plus, you add in the fact that most public courses around here have memberships available, but you have to join their ranges for a separate fee, the private club becomes even more cost effective.  Plus, it is nice to have the pros, cart guys, range guys, and the maintenance people being helpful and knowing you.  It has been a great experience!

Back when I was living in the Bay Area, I kept to the public courses because IMO, they had some of the best real estate, and it never occurred to me to look into a private club. It’s great to hear that it’s a worthwhile investment.

Out here, there’s a system to introducing beginner golfers on the course through instruction. They start out on the 9-holes, learn the basics and eventually get good enough to play 18. Good enough meaning, a handicap in the 30s or so, I think, so it’s a matter of drilling in the basic skills, etiquette, ready golf, bunker raking and divot repair, etc, to make sure that pace of play and the course are maintained.

So I gather that the exclusivity feeling from an outsider has more to do with the fact that I wasn’t “born into the system” as a beginner.

@Green4Spinach It’s great to hear that you’ve got your handicap. I think it’s always a little stressful not having one, since it’s now an easy way of gauging whether I’m improving or collapsing.

Also, I have a suspicion that once I perceive an improvement in my game after changing out a piece of equipment, I want to get the most out its potential. Whether it happens is another story—but it’s fun trying. 😂

WITB 2024

DRIVER Cobralogo.png.5257fd97d99f057b9bfc81c06d7fcc62.png AEROJET 10.5°  |  FAIRWAY Callawaylogo.png.c084288fc4a8ed17e2f93c60b519702c.png ROGUE ST MAX 3/15°
HYBRID Pinglogo.png.11947cc88c8641d62e0a99c26da08b18.png G410 21°  |  UTILITY Untitled-9(1).png.4964fe6cb2103eef562fd832a625b0d5.png 699 V2 U 5/23°
IRONS Untitled-9(1).png.4964fe6cb2103eef562fd832a625b0d5.png 699 V2 6-PW
WEDGES Clevelandgolflogo.png.9b2e702587cd5230010a835ced0f97a0.png CBX 2 50°, 54°, 58°
PUTTER Cobralogo.png.5257fd97d99f057b9bfc81c06d7fcc62.png KING GRANDSPORT 35

BALL WilsonStafflogo.png.d0d70a74fad1e8f9c4d9f0581e24d31e.pngMODEL | Vicelogo.png.ac8ca0040252d91a9cdaef9d94e6284b.png PRO WHITE/BLUE ICE
BAG Sunmountainlogo.png.2555e0c0e8e49c09ea72c6df224aa0f2.png 3.5 LS  |  PUSHCART Roviclogo.png.ebc800ac4238271b0253c238793522de.png RV1S

2024 Fit For Golf Training App Review

2 hours ago, berkeleybob said:

Back when I was living in the Bay Area, I kept to the public courses because IMO, they had some of the best real estate, and it never occurred to me to look into a private club. It’s great to hear that it’s a worthwhile investment.

Out here, there’s a system to introducing beginner golfers on the course through instruction. They start out on the 9-holes, learn the basics and eventually get good enough to play 18. Good enough meaning, a handicap in the 30s or so, I think, so it’s a matter of drilling in the basic skills, etiquette, ready golf, bunker raking and divot repair, etc, to make sure that pace of play and the course are maintained.

So I gather that the exclusivity feeling from an outsider has more to do with the fact that I wasn’t “born into the system” as a beginner.

@Green4Spinach It’s great to hear that you’ve got your handicap. I think it’s always a little stressful not having one, since it’s now an easy way of gauging whether I’m improving or collapsing.

Also, I have a suspicion that once I perceive an improvement in my game after changing out a piece of equipment, I want to get the most out its potential. Whether it happens is another story—but it’s fun trying. 😂

I guess one of the other things that I like about the private club is the care they take of the course.  It is amazing.  I feel quite honored to be able to play there.  One of my golf partners and I discuss this all the time.  We both come from the "wrong side of the tracks" and now can do this.  We feel more akin to the maintenance folks than many of the other golfers.  I don't have a summer home....well, I suppose I do, but it is merely the cooler side of the winter home.  I don't have a big fancy...er, anything.  But, I love golf.  I am debt free, retired, and working hard to improve.  My wife likes the fact that I get my money's worth out of the club.  Had she not be such an excellent money manager...I would be a member at one of the public courses (which I was for more than 10 years).  I enjoy most any course, if they even attempt to take care of it.  

Cobra LTDx one-length 6-SW

Cobra Aerojet 2,3,4,5 Hybrids--85g stiff shafts

Cobra F8 10.5* Driver 

Cleveland CBX 58* Wedge

Ping Anser2 G2 putter

Dedicated Walker

@berkeleybob and @alii1959 we joined a club about ten years ago, and it’s such a different experience. For the most part, the members that golf are respectful of the course since they “own” it. We also keep the number of members with golf privileges low and have a great maintenance team. So we’re lucky that the course stays in great condition. 

We also use time restrictions so junior golfers, children, etc typically may only play later in the day. This does a lot to keep things moving on the course. 

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth2

3W: :taylormade-small: Stealth2

4H: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2

Irons 4I-9I:  :titleist-small: T200

Wedges P, 48: :titleist-small: T200

Wedges 54, 58: :titleist-small: Vokey SM9

Putter:  :odyssey-small: O Works #1 Black

6 hours ago, berkeleybob said:

Actually @berkeleybob the fact is that I have submitted my scores for a handicap, but I have not received the reply from the golf club telling me what the number is. Of course, I am curious. But I may not be too surprised as I use Shot Scope and it keeps feeding me with Strokes Gained info. As a newbie golfer, I love Strokes Gained. It gives me a clear idea of where I am falling down. The issue is whether I am prepared to do anything about the info I get from Shot Scope...

* Titleist 915 D2 - Accra iW4

* Callaway Rogue ST Max 5FW

* Mizuno JPX Fli-Hi 4 and 5 hybrids

* Callaway Steelhead XR 5-PW

* Ping Glide 4 50 and 56 / Callaway Mack Daddy 2 60

* Odyssey White Hot OG 7

* Mizuno RB566

* Shot Scope X5

Over the past few rounds, it seems that every round I have something different that needs worked on. A few days ago, my chipping was abysmal... the day after that, approach game was not good... yesterday and today, my driver is not even worth having in the bag. As I've mentioned before, my course is super tight with trees lining every hole. Once you hit it into the woods, there is no hitting the ball out of it, as there is thick, high grass, with thistles and poison ivy galore. My biggest problem is that I know the woods are a no go, and that gets in my head on the tee box. 

Today, I shot +3 on the front and then played best shot with my buddy on the back. Two of my shots were lost because of my driver. I have this horrible swing thought in my head when using my driver and I hate every second of it. I'm a good player, but suck with my driver. Not being able to get off the tee is the most frustrating thing in golf. Not sure where to go, but I'm thinking of looking into a mini driver 👀

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST MAX LS

Hybrid: SIM 2 3 Hybrid

Irons: Mizuno JPX 921 Tour 4-P

Wedges: Sub70 TAIII 50, 54, 60

Putter: Mizuno M.Craft Type 03 Putter

Maxfli Tour Golf Ball Review

Rapsodo MLM2Pro Launch Monitor Review

Unofficial Mizuno Type III Putter Review

20 minutes ago, CSiders12 said:

Over the past few rounds, it seems that every round I have something different that needs worked on. A few days ago, my chipping was abysmal... the day after that, approach game was not good... yesterday and today, my driver is not even worth having in the bag. As I've mentioned before, my course is super tight with trees lining every hole. Once you hit it into the woods, there is no hitting the ball out of it, as there is thick, high grass, with thistles and poison ivy galore. My biggest problem is that I know the woods are a no go, and that gets in my head on the tee box. 

Today, I shot +3 on the front and then played best shot with my buddy on the back. Two of my shots were lost because of my driver. I have this horrible swing thought in my head when using my driver and I hate every second of it. I'm a good player, but suck with my driver. Not being able to get off the tee is the most frustrating thing in golf. Not sure where to go, but I'm thinking of looking into a mini driver 👀

I've been falling back on my driving iron off the tee when my driver is misbehaving. 215 - 230 and either on or just off the fairway every time is way better than 250 in the trees at Amana (even post-derecho)!

Driving woes are frustrating - I just had my first lesson this morning up at Hunters and we spent the entire session working on the driver. Turns out my alignment was not where I thought it was, causing a chain reaction that pretty much guaranteed leaving the face open and coming over the top. I'll bet a few bucks you're a couple of small adjustments away from being back in the middle of the fairway!

Titleist TSR3 // Tensei 1K Black 65g

Titleist TSR3 3W 15* // HZRDOUS Black 70g

Titleist U505 2i // HZRDOUS Black 85g

Taylormade P770 4-PW // Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 105g

Callaway JAWS MD5 50*

Callaway JAWS Raw 54* / 58*

Taylormade Spider GTX Single Bend Splitback / Ping Zing 2

Titleist ProV1 // Srixon Z-Star XV (Depending on how much money I want to lose any given swing)

1 hour ago, CSiders12 said:

As I've mentioned before, my course is super tight with trees lining every hole. Once you hit it into the woods, there is no hitting the ball out of it, as there is thick, high grass, with thistles and poison ivy galore. My biggest problem is that I know the woods are a no go, and that gets in my head on the tee box. 

Doesn't sound like the driver is the problem but course management related (target/aim) and mental focus.  If the woods are that penal then you need to avoid and need to pick a club that has a dispersion that fits between the trees.  While most course management strategies advocate for hitting as far as possible,  they also caveat that by saying you need to avoid penalty situations.   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

14 minutes ago, HikingMike said:

Hey all! One week ago today, I had my first ever under par score (for 9 holes)! Now this was at my usual course from the white tees, not the blue tees like I probably should play, and it's a fairly significant difference. But it's still impressive to me... you still have to get to the green, and knock it in super efficiently. My Monday league plays blue tees, and Tuesday league where I play half our matches is white tees, with a generally older group. Best part is I was scoring for the team that week, and the other team played well too (2v2) so we had to shoot well to beat them.

My score was -1 with 3 birdies, 4 pars, 2 bogies. I did get lucky with a couple bad drives not being in a hazard. My 3 birdies were a variety - 2 putts, 1 putt, 0 putts. I had a fantastic chip-in for my 2nd birdie on the par 3, landed just right on the fringe and rolled in beautifully like a long putt. I also had some really good approach shots, which is not a strong suit - giving me the traditional 1 putt birdie on a par 4 with a 10 foot putt. And I was on the green in 2 on a par 5, smallest green on the course, and 2-putted from there.

Today, it is raining all day, so no golf and I felt like sharing 🙂 

IMG_0705_25.jpg.ae4dd2ce9463bec69483ca940e820f25.jpg

20240702Golfshotscorecardscreenshot.PNG.164b43fcbcfd8238455ee148bb60d150.PNG 20240703_181512863_iOS_scale40.png.9ad43c89c2c4286f470c6a8ffeda5909.png IMG_0706_25.jpg.40706cbbb8373eac97e95fd5a7c6abf7.jpg

For reference, I played on my high school team many years ago, but never shot under par. Actually I hardly made any birdies. I was more of a scramble for par guy with great short game/putting. My Golfshot app has me at a 9.5 (Golfshot average-to-par) with 30 rounds recorded starting last August. That number was a lot higher at 16, as I didn't play well at the end of last season. Then I got it down to 11 earlier this year, and now 9.5 with some more consistent play.

Here's my strokes gained last 20 rounds-

20240703_181644106_iOS_scale40.png.d610cf78f16a09d0c03a341c9d7721b9.png

Hit them well everybody! 😁

Congrats on the round!

TSR1, 9*, TPT Nitro 17 Lo

TSR1, 15*, TPT Power Range Fairway 17 Lo 

TSR2, Hybrid, 18*, TPT Power Range Hybrid 17 Lo

RBZ Tour4 Hybrid, 21.5*, S 

T-200, (2023), 5-PW,  SteelFiber, i95cw, S 

Vokey Design - 50,54, DG S200, and Vokey S10 - 46,58, SteelFiber i95cw, S

Odyssey JAILBIRD 380 Limited Edition

ELIXR (2022), MaxFli Tour S (2024)

6 hours ago, Green4Spinach said:

Actually @berkeleybob the fact is that I have submitted my scores for a handicap, but I have not received the reply from the golf club telling me what the number is. Of course, I am curious. But I may not be too surprised as I use Shot Scope and it keeps feeding me with Strokes Gained info. As a newbie golfer, I love Strokes Gained. It gives me a clear idea of where I am falling down. The issue is whether I am prepared to do anything about the info I get from Shot Scope...

Assuming your course uses the GHIN system, the course should give you your GHIN number. Then you can load the app and look at all the data whenever you want.

Try loading the USGA GHIN app on your phone. Go to the bottom of the screen and tap “golfer look up” then type in your last name. 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

42 minutes ago, HikingMike said:

Hey all! One week ago today, I had my first ever under par score (for 9 holes)! Now this was at my usual course from the white tees, not the blue tees like I probably should play, and it's a fairly significant difference. But it's still impressive to me... you still have to get to the green, and knock it in super efficiently. My Monday league plays blue tees, and Tuesday league where I play half our matches is white tees, with a generally older group. Best part is I was scoring for the team that week, and the other team played well too (2v2) so we had to shoot well to beat them.

My score was -1 with 3 birdies, 4 pars, 2 bogies. I did get lucky with a couple bad drives not being in a hazard. My 3 birdies were a variety - 2 putts, 1 putt, 0 putts. I had a fantastic chip-in for my 2nd birdie on the par 3, landed just right on the fringe and rolled in beautifully like a long putt. I also had some really good approach shots, which is not a strong suit - giving me the traditional 1 putt birdie on a par 4 with a 10 foot putt. And I was on the green in 2 on a par 5, smallest green on the course, and 2-putted from there.

Today, it is raining all day, so no golf and I felt like sharing 🙂 

IMG_0705_25.jpg.ae4dd2ce9463bec69483ca940e820f25.jpg

20240702Golfshotscorecardscreenshot.PNG.164b43fcbcfd8238455ee148bb60d150.PNG 20240703_181512863_iOS_scale40.png.9ad43c89c2c4286f470c6a8ffeda5909.png IMG_0706_25.jpg.40706cbbb8373eac97e95fd5a7c6abf7.jpg

For reference, I played on my high school team many years ago, but never shot under par. Actually I hardly made any birdies. I was more of a scramble for par guy with great short game/putting. My Golfshot app has me at a 9.5 (Golfshot average-to-par) with 30 rounds recorded starting last August. That number was a lot higher at 16, as I didn't play well at the end of last season. Then I got it down to 11 earlier this year, and now 9.5 with some more consistent play.

Here's my strokes gained last 20 rounds-

20240703_181644106_iOS_scale40.png.d610cf78f16a09d0c03a341c9d7721b9.png

Hit them well everybody! 😁

Congratulations on the under par round! It don't matter what tees you played from, under par is under par. 

28 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

Congratulations on the under par round! It don't matter what tees you played from, under par is under par. 

Thank you! Don’t worry, it happened, and I’m not going to forget, haha 🙂 

Driver: ping.png.006bacb76d65413e66b9c8eb1b47f592.png G400 LST 8.5°

3W: cobra2.png.60653951979ca617ca859530a17d0a2d.png King Speedzone

Irons: ping.png.006bacb76d65413e66b9c8eb1b47f592.png i200 (3 thru PW & UW)

Wedge: Ray Cook 60 deg

Putter: Spalding TP Mills 3

Tech: golfshot.png.5c17c64b9425413b3bf24668ce3fa044.png on Apple Watch & phone

Fun charity scramble today, despite getting a good soaking as it rained most of the afternoon. I mean, I'm a Brit so a little rain on an otherwise warm summer day really isn't an inconvenience. Ha ha.

EFB52175-0FEB-4BCC-B3EE-02CF0B3E083F_1_102_o.jpeg.726762e336f25cd0ee0bff099e39b84f.jpeg

As a team we placed 4th with what we thought was a very competitive 14-under. Among the team we'd bought a bunch of mulligans and the 3ft piece of string for on the green.

The winning team shot 20-under apparently. 16 birdies and 2 eagles. Scores that low always result in skepticism and jeers when announced. Ha ha.

Anyway, I personally had a REALLY good day on the course. My putting was far better than usual- holing some great long putts (it obviously helps when one or two people have shown you the line and pace beforehand), one of which gave me a genuine (I putted first) solo eagle. I hit the driver straighter than I have done pretty much all year and the wedge ladder cheat sheet helped me get close or pin high most of the time. My worst drive was, wouldn't you know it, on the long drive hole... ha ha... and I missed the closest to the pin marker by just a couple of feet.

Really positive signs going back into league on Thursday. Just hope I can keep the driver 'feels' going.

2024 WITB:

Driver: :ping-small: G430 LST 9* w. Mitsubishi Kai'Li White 60X

FW woods: :titleist-small:TSR2+ 13* '2W' w. Mitsubishi Tensei White 75X & 21* 7W w. Mitsubishi Tensei White 75X

Hybrid: :taylormade-small:Stealth+ 3H (@18*) w. :projectx: Hzrdus Smoke RDX Red 80/6.5

Irons: :taylormade-small: 5i-PW: '19 P790 w. :kbs: Tour C-Taper Lite 115X

Wedges: :taylormade-small: 50/09 MG4; 56/12 MG4TW Raw; :vokey-small:SM9 60/04L

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X7 // :odyssey-small: Toulon Design Memphis

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5x //  :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Other: :Arccos:. Gogogo Sport V-Pro rangefinder. :taylormade-small: Select Plus stand bag. :BagBoy: Nitron push cart.

2024 Tests:

"...pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space, 'cause there's bugger all down here on Earth!"- Eric Idle

6 minutes ago, Jmikecpa said:

Down in LBI for the week and got an invite to play a fun league night with a front back format so I took my 15 year old daughter. After much discussion I was forced back to the tips and she got the front tees. Well in a two person scramble for 9 holes we ended up winning it with a gross -6. Things I have learned, she can get really really good if she works at it, I can still play well when I have to and she is a putting savant. Not only rolling it but reading putts. After today she is my caddy and I will carry my own bag. Kid read every putt for nine holes and did not miss one read all round. Overall we had a blast and looking forward to another 9 holes tomorrow with some buddies of mine from college and their kids. 

On a side note just for fun I went DOD on 9 with the Qi10 LS it may be the best three wood I have ever hit. Had 289 front and snuck it onto the middle with no issue. Also helped that my daughter hit a nice layup to 85 yards and fr ed my up a bit to give it a go. 

Thats awesome!!!

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

3 minutes ago, ncwoz said:

Tweaked my back Sunday, enough that I was pretty on the fence about skipping golf league Monday night. Decided to give it a go, took a hole or two to warm up enough to be comfortable with a full swing. Managed to par the first couple holes with my mind mostly thinking about my back, until I got a little later into the round. Back started feeling much better, and I ended up parring the first 8 holes!

Hole 9 is a short uphill par 3, and I let my eyes get a little big. Little chunky and left it short, ended up with a bogey for 1 over on the day. 

From not even sure I would play to a personal best on that 9! Biggest takeaway? I probably need to stop swinging full bore. 😅

Congrats on the PB!

TSR1, 9*, TPT Nitro 17 Lo

TSR1, 15*, TPT Power Range Fairway 17 Lo 

TSR2, Hybrid, 18*, TPT Power Range Hybrid 17 Lo

RBZ Tour4 Hybrid, 21.5*, S 

T-200, (2023), 5-PW,  SteelFiber, i95cw, S 

Vokey Design - 50,54, DG S200, and Vokey S10 - 46,58, SteelFiber i95cw, S

Odyssey JAILBIRD 380 Limited Edition

ELIXR (2022), MaxFli Tour S (2024)

4 minutes ago, ncwoz said:

Tweaked my back Sunday, enough that I was pretty on the fence about skipping golf league Monday night. Decided to give it a go, took a hole or two to warm up enough to be comfortable with a full swing. Managed to par the first couple holes with my mind mostly thinking about my back, until I got a little later into the round. Back started feeling much better, and I ended up parring the first 8 holes!

Hole 9 is a short uphill par 3, and I let my eyes get a little big. Little chunky and left it short, ended up with a bogey for 1 over on the day. 

From not even sure I would play to a personal best on that 9! Biggest takeaway? I probably need to stop swinging full bore. 😅

Great work in spite of the injury! Hope you heal up quickly and can embrace the smooth swinging, low scoring again soon.

2024 WITB:

Driver: :ping-small: G430 LST 9* w. Mitsubishi Kai'Li White 60X

FW woods: :titleist-small:TSR2+ 13* '2W' w. Mitsubishi Tensei White 75X & 21* 7W w. Mitsubishi Tensei White 75X

Hybrid: :taylormade-small:Stealth+ 3H (@18*) w. :projectx: Hzrdus Smoke RDX Red 80/6.5

Irons: :taylormade-small: 5i-PW: '19 P790 w. :kbs: Tour C-Taper Lite 115X

Wedges: :taylormade-small: 50/09 MG4; 56/12 MG4TW Raw; :vokey-small:SM9 60/04L

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X7 // :odyssey-small: Toulon Design Memphis

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5x //  :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Other: :Arccos:. Gogogo Sport V-Pro rangefinder. :taylormade-small: Select Plus stand bag. :BagBoy: Nitron push cart.

2024 Tests:

"...pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space, 'cause there's bugger all down here on Earth!"- Eric Idle

League night yesterday was a pretty good result at even par for the 9.  I was disappointed in my finish.  i bogied 2 of the last 3 holes but i think after working outside all day i was worn down from the heat.  It was  96* when we started and the car thermometer had 92* when we finished.  I used my frogg togg towel and drank a lot but was feeling the heat for sure.  

I had one bad tee shot where a hook popped up getting me under a tree.  I took an unplayable lie and the approach ran thru the green.  Then chipped in for a par to win the hole. 

The two bogies were a bit frustrating because i was in the fairway 100 yards out and flew the pin both times.  One was an 80' 3 putt and the other i was 1/2 roll from getting up and down.

I sqeaked out a win by 1 point which is surprising because i was giving 11 shots for the 9 holes. 

I was glad to come home and sit in the a/c to cool off and watch the Phils beat up on the Dodgers before bedtime!

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

6 minutes ago, Shapotomous said:

League night yesterday was a pretty good result at even par for the 9.  I was disappointed in my finish.  i bogied 2 of the last 3 holes but i think after working outside all day i was worn down from the heat.  It was  96* when we started and the car thermometer had 92* when we finished.  I used my frogg togg towel and drank a lot but was feeling the heat for sure.  

I had one bad tee shot where a hook popped up getting me under a tree.  I took an unplayable lie and the approach ran thru the green.  Then chipped in for a par to win the hole. 

The two bogies were a bit frustrating because i was in the fairway 100 yards out and flew the pin both times.  One was an 80' 3 putt and the other i was 1/2 roll from getting up and down.

I sqeaked out a win by 1 point which is surprising because i was giving 11 shots for the 9 holes. 

I was glad to come home and sit in the a/c to cool off and watch the Phils beat up on the Dodgers before bedtime!

IMG_2521.gif

Callaway Maverick driver, Mizuno 3-wood and irons, Cleveland wedges, TaylorMade putter. Primarily play with Oncore golf balls

9 hours ago, Jmikecpa said:

Down in LBI for the week and got an invite to play a fun league night with a front back format so I took my 15 year old daughter. After much discussion I was forced back to the tips and she got the front tees. Well in a two person scramble for 9 holes we ended up winning it with a gross -6. Things I have learned, she can get really really good if she works at it, I can still play well when I have to and she is a putting savant. Not only rolling it but reading putts. After today she is my caddy and I will carry my own bag. Kid read every putt for nine holes and did not miss one read all round. Overall we had a blast and looking forward to another 9 holes tomorrow with some buddies of mine from college and their kids. 

On a side note just for fun I went DOD on 9 with the Qi10 LS it may be the best three wood I have ever hit. Had 289 front and snuck it onto the middle with no issue. Also helped that my daughter hit a nice layup to 85 yards and fr ed my up a bit to give it a go. 

Your daughter on greens

IMG_2522.gif

Callaway Maverick driver, Mizuno 3-wood and irons, Cleveland wedges, TaylorMade putter. Primarily play with Oncore golf balls

It's been a bit of a rough 3 rounds. Playing both some of the best and worst golf of my life after my first lesson in ~20 years. Definitely seeing way more consistent strike with my long irons, but overall consistency is in the toilet. I am alternating between great drives and slowly getting my speed back up post-swing change, and hard pulls OB. For whatever reason this also seems to have messed up my short game too, so the scores are astronomical.

Golf is hard.

Ping G430 Max 10K (10.5º) Review Post - Ping G425 Max 3W (14.5º) - Ping G425 Max 5W (18.5º)  - Ping G425 Max 4 Hybrid - Ping i230 5-UW - s159 54º (S-grind) and 58º (B-grind) - LAB Golf DF3