How early do you show up for your tee time?

I'll usually show up between 30-60 minutes before teeing off. I like taking time to loosen up and will hit a small bucket on the range to get a feel of how my ball striking is going to be that day. 

I also like to roll some putts on the practice green and see where my speed needs to be. If I go to a course without a range, I like to get out on the pitching and putting greens to get a feel for hitting balls. 

2 hours ago, bama no 1 said:

To be honest I like going solo no matter what time of day.  I feel like I can challenge myself more when playing alone, work on different shots, otherwise I feel compelled to keep up with my playing partners.

Most of the time on solo rounds, I will hit a second ball if I didn't hit the first one properly or if I want to try a different club or shot shape.  I can't post a score afterward, but these practice rounds are very enjoyable.

Ping G430 Max 10k 9° w/UST MP5 L-Flex

Ping G425 3 wood 14.5° w/Ventus Velocore Blue-6R tipped 1"

Cleveland Halo Launcher 5 wood 18° with Project X Cypher R

Callaway Rogue 19° hybrid regular

PXG Gen 3 0311XF 5 - G steel regular

Corey Paul wedges bent to 53° and 58°

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5 putter

It all depends. My home course. When I get there it’s my tee time🤣. Anything before 8am is first come first serve for walkers. After 8am the carts are allowed out. I’m usually the only one out there before 8:00.

Playing away, at a minimum 45 minutes.  Chipping and putting for green speed is a must. Hitting the range for a few minutes is also preferred. 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

Very much depends on what else I have on! I've got two young kids which means if it's a weekend round, I may be rushing to get to the course on time but tend to aim for at least half an hour to warm up, stretch and have a chip and a putt. 

I often try and play early mornings though and sneak out before anyone else is awake. With that I stretch and loosen up at home and head to the course 45 minutes before tee off so I can hit a mix of clubs and have a chip and a putt. Key for me is to ensure I'm loose but not overdone. One thing that has changed my mindset before getting out is at least playing the first in my head when hitting at the net. It's a par 5 at my home ground so driver, 5-iron to the creek, 50% PW onto the green. That way I feel like I have those shots dialed in before I head to the putting green for final warm up.

:callaway-small: Callaway X 416
:mizuno-small: Hybrid 19° - JPX850
:cobra-small: Baffler 23° Hybrid
:mizuno-small: Irons - MPH4 5-PW
:vokey-small:SM7 54°
:cleveland-small:RTX Zipcore Full-Face 50° & 58°
RUNNER Mallet putter  

1 hour ago, SDunne said:

Very much depends on what else I have on! I've got two young kids which means if it's a weekend round, I may be rushing to get to the course on time but tend to aim for at least half an hour to warm up, stretch and have a chip and a putt. 

I often try and play early mornings though and sneak out before anyone else is awake. With that I stretch and loosen up at home and head to the course 45 minutes before tee off so I can hit a mix of clubs and have a chip and a putt. Key for me is to ensure I'm loose but not overdone. One thing that has changed my mindset before getting out is at least playing the first in my head when hitting at the net. It's a par 5 at my home ground so driver, 5-iron to the creek, 50% PW onto the green. That way I feel like I have those shots dialed in before I head to the putting green for final warm up.

That's a good plan! When I practice, after I have done what I need to get done, I often hit the shots I would hit that day if I was playing. It's a nice way to put into visualization what I've been working on. When I go to the course next, I often replay the result of my last practice so that I hit that first tee shot well. I have a visual of hitting a slight draw off the right tree line, setting up a hybrid to the green on the par 5 opening hole!

Works for me!

FORE!

Mike

Played this wonderful game for 54 years now. Still love it!

Driver - Callaway Rogue Reg shaft 10 degree (Circa 2018)

3 Wood - Callaway Big Bertha 3 Metal (2014)

Hybrids - Callaway X-Hot Pro 16 and 20 degree (2014)

Irons - Callaway Apex Pro Graphite Shafts 4-A (2014)

Wedges - Callaway Mac Daddy 56 (2014) and 58 (2019)

Putter - Kayson Mallet 34" (2023)

Bags - Carry: Sun Mountain (2005) Cart: BagBoy Easy Rider Lite (2019)

Pull/Push Cart - BagBoy Compact3 (2019)

"Can't birdie them all if you don't birdie the first 2"

On 4/26/2024 at 12:32 PM, Northern Monkey said:

I like to get there about an hour before. Gives me time to warm up, work through my clubs, usually all the odd numbered clubs rather than all of them, do some chipping and putting. I find I play much better when I follow this routine

I like that you warm up with odd numbered clubs. Is there a specific reason or gives you the variety? Do you also hit driver?

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST R Flex

3 Wood: TaylorMade Razr

Hybrids: Callaway Rogue Max 3 - 5

Irons: TaylorMade M5

Wedges: TaylorMade Milled Grind 4 52, 54/Titleist Vokey M6 56

Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7

R.jpg

@Mr_BogeyPro  It’s mainly because I start with my highest lofting wedge and then work my way down the bag. It just means that this is the odd numbered clubs - 56, 48, 9, 7, 5, 3H and driver

Edited by Northern Monkey

Driver: IMG_5084.png.5fbbd783dcc8d621f65db4e523c4867a.png G430 Max

Fairway: IMG_5157.jpeg.41245fafb8773b507ee7f693ad6a2066.jpeg LTDx Max 3 wood

Hybrid: IMG_5083.jpeg.03d55f2ce7c7118771008ca6d79deff1.jpeg Mavrik 3 hybrid 

Irons: IMG_5157.jpeg.41245fafb8773b507ee7f693ad6a2066.jpeg Forged Tec 4-PW + GW

Wedges: IMG_5083.jpeg.03d55f2ce7c7118771008ca6d79deff1.jpeg Jaws 56

IMG_5733.jpeg.1e4058deebcd18f2f88ac5dcaa6c8149.jpegSM9 52

Putter: IMG_5308.webp.c1f0b99088f53de60d3349e71f9c2844.webp Mallet

Ball: IMG_5083.jpeg.03d55f2ce7c7118771008ca6d79deff1.jpeg Chrome Soft

52 minutes ago, Northern Monkey said:

@Mr_BogeyPro  It’s mainly because I start with my highest lofting wedge and then work my way down the bag. It just means that this is the odd numbered clubs - 56, 48, 9, 7, 5, 3H and driver

I am similar…start with some 56 shots to get warmed up, then move through the bag (7 iron, 5 iron, 3 hybrid, 3 wood and driver).  Frequently switching between the clubs while on the range.

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Driver

TaylorMade Stealth 3 wood

Titleist U510 Hybrid (3H)

TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Irons

Vokey SM8 Wedges (52/56/60)

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

41 minutes ago, TJ Hall said:

I am similar…start with some 56 shots to get warmed up, then move through the bag (7 iron, 5 iron, 3 hybrid, 3 wood and driver).  Frequently switching between the clubs while on the range.

I normally start with my 4 iron! I start with some shots to get a tempo going, the 4 iron is my longest iron and I like to get a few square on the club face before I start working my way through the bag. I won't hit every club, go to the A or P, then a 9 or 8, then a 7 or 6. Already hit the 4 so move to one of my hybrids 16 or 20 degree, the 3 metal, then driver.

I always end with my 58 degree wedge, hitting shorter shots to the various short pins on the range, getting a handsy, spinny feel for those tricky shots under 100 yards!

Cheers and FORE!

Mike

1 hour ago, Northern Monkey said:

@Northern Monkey my warm-up routine is similar: start with odd numbered irons: 9, 7, 5, but go to Driver, 3w, 8i, sw, then go to putting green.  
For normal weekday play, I Generally get to the course about 30 mins before tee time & stretch, doing some of The Stack warm-up routines. Then swing two clubs (5&6i) 20 times. 

Titleist T200 Irons - 5i thru Gap Wedge - Stiff AMT Black

Callaway PARADYM X 9.0 with Hazrdous X Black 6.0 Stiff Shaft

Fairway Woods:  Callaway Maverick 3W & RazrX Black 5W - Stiff Flex

Rescue:  Apex 4 (22 degree )- Recoil 75H stiff flex 

Wedges: Titleist SM8 - 54 (D Grind) wedge flex; SM8 58(M grind) wedge flex

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X5.5

Ball: Titleist ProV1

Handicap: 0

20-30 mins….really like to chip and putt some.  Have done the small bucket drill in times past, but normally stretches and quieting the mind (dump the phone (as I am typing at the turn), just thinking about the course, what the pin locations look like, etc) 

WITB?:ping-small:  G400 SFT w/Aldila NXT GEN NVS 55 Aflex ; :ping-small: G410 3w; :ping-small: G400 3h(19), 4h(22), 5h(26) - stock Ping Alta CB R-Flex; :edel-golf-1:SMS 6i, 7i - KBS TourLIte 95 R-Flex; Maltby TS1 8i-9i-PW w/Apollo Acculite 85 R flex; INDI FLX-S wedges (50, 54, 58) w/Recoil graphite shafts -R-Flex and :odyssey-small: AI-One 7T BD Milled (aka Millie), ball choice tends to be Pro-V1 or simliar 3pc urethane balls. 

30 minutes. Most times the wife checks in and I corral the clubs. Then 15 minutes chipping and putting. 10 minutes chatting and stretching. As I either play everyday or swing on the back porch, doesn't take much to get loose. 

Driver: Callaway Epic 9 degree, stiff (set at 10 degrees with the movable weight in the center}

FW: Callaway Epic 3,5, heaven wood w/ regular shaft (driver shaft in 3 wood, 3 wood shaft in 5 wood, 5 wood shaft in heaven wood, all three set at neutral plus 1 degree)

Hybrids: Callaway BB19 4,6,7 (4 set at neutral plus 1 degree and 6 and 7 set at neutral minus 1 degree for gapping purposes)

Irons: Callaway Rogue ST Max 8, 9, PW 

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 50,54,58

Ball: Titleist Pro V1, 1X, Vice Pro Plus or anything I find that day and try out for the fun of it (I haven't bought balls with my own money in at least 10 years)

I used to come an hour early to hit balls just to warm up, but it really doesn't make any difference IME. I just practice putting for a few minutes, and swing an Orange Whip, and I am good to go. I usually arrive 30-40 minutes ahead of my tee time.

Less than half the guys I play with regularly warm up on the driving range before they play. A few used to, and also decided it didn't make much difference, so they stopped like me.

Some traveling courses we play include range balls in greens fees, that's the only time I might hit balls before I play anymore.

You should do whatever you're comfortable with, not what anyone else chooses.

Edited by Middler
  • Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • LAB DF3 w Accra
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)

Ideally I would love to get there like 45-60 mins before. But with my current stage in life that happens very seldom. When I get there I first like to get everything out of my back, set up my range finder, get the liquids out.  Then I like to go to the putting green for like 15 mins. If there is a range I’ll certainly do that as well. Doing this gets my mind in “ golf mode”. If I show up say 15 mins before I never settle in and it takes a few holes to find the zone. In those situations you just hope to get through 2-3 holes with a decent score, golf trips are the best because that’s all your there to do and no family obligations hold you back to get your mind tight

B Good

My usual is 45-60 min before tee time. Pay the greens fees, practice some putting and then some gentle swings to loosen up.

D- Ping G 400 SFT

16*- Adams Tight Lie

19*- Adams Tight Lie

4H- Ping G 400

5-U- Ping G 400

SW- Nike

56*- Ping Glide 2

P- Sub70 004 Mallet

So I had a Men's Club Match yesterday. I've not been playing well lately and based on our qualifier, I had to give my opponent 4 shots!

I also had to work in the morning. 

So ... up at 4:10, at work by 5:15, had to push a fertilizer spreader around for 5 hours, laying down a product on the tee decks! Was able to ride for my second job of the day, so had a bit of a breather, finishing up at 12:30. Tee time was for 1:15. Change clothes, grab my sticks and hit a quick 20 balls on the range. Just trying to find some rhythm and tempo. Didn't have a great warmup. Off to the putting green, hit a bunch of 10 footers and got a good smooth stroke going for the next 10-15 minutes. A quick trip in to the clubhouse to grab a sandwich and a beverage for the course.

Made this kid play the back tees (my only way to even things out even though I was giving him 4 shots). He hits the first green (par 5) in 2, 2 putts for birdie. He hits it to a foot on the next par 4. I have to give him a shot on the par 3 third. We both bogey. 3 down after 3! Yikes! I was only 1 over after 3, a pretty normal start for me after a work shift.

I birdie the next, hang on to tie the next hole I give him a shot on ... finish the front even par and only 1 down. I'm in pretty good shape after 9. 

Owe him a shot on 10 and make a good par to his bogey. Then throw one away on the next hole. 2 down after 11. I birdie 14 but owe him a shot there, so tie the hole. Birdie 15 and par the hard par 3, 16th to win 2 holes in a row. EVEN after 16. I'm pumped but it's now 4:30 and I've been up for over 12 hours (and my stepcounter was over 34,000 for the day).

I hit a great drive on 17 and then FAT my approach. Can't get it up and down. Now 1 down going to 18.

We both hit decent drives, I'm away (cause he's a kid and hits it a mile). I hit a good shot to a front pin. Just short of the surface. He hits a poor shot and misses the green as well. He's away and hits a poor chip to about 12 feet! I am eyeing a chip in and I lip it out. He hammers his putt home for the 1 up win.

I'm happy it didn't go extras, and sad that I didn't win, but I was never up in the match, had to give him 4 shots, shot 70 on my own ball, and really couldn't have asked for more out of my game. I made 4 birdies, 3 bogeys, hit 10 fairways, 11 GIR and 26 putts. I feel like my game has come back. I had many good par saves, didn't hit it in any trouble all day, and hung in there to the bitter end.

I'm looking forward to the next couple of weeks. I've got lots of golf scheduled and I have the Western Cup for the CGTF in the next 2 weeks. Ya baby!

FORE!

Mike

13 hours ago, Fore67 said:

So I had a Men's Club Match yesterday. I've not been playing well lately and based on our qualifier, I had to give my opponent 4 shots!

So ... up at 4:10, at work by 5:15, had to push a fertilizer spreader around for 5 hours, laying down a product on the tee decks! Was able to ride for my second job of the day, so had a bit of a breather, finishing up at 12:30. Tee time was for 1:15. Change clothes, grab my sticks and hit a quick 20 balls on the range. Just trying to find some rhythm and tempo. Didn't have a great warmup. Off to the putting green, hit a bunch of 10 footers and got a good smooth stroke going for the next 10-15 minutes. A quick trip in to the clubhouse to grab a sandwich and a beverage for the course.

Made this kid play the back tees (my only way to even things out even though I was giving him 4 shots). He hits the first green (par 5) in 2, 2 putts for birdie. He hits it to a foot on the next par 4. I have to give him a shot on the par 3 third. We both bogey. 3 down after 3! Yikes! I was only 1 over after 3, a pretty normal start for me after a work shift.

I birdie the next, hang on to tie the next hole I give him a shot on ... finish the front even par and only 1 down. I'm in pretty good shape after 9. 

Owe him a shot on 10 and make a good par to his bogey. Then throw one away on the next hole. 2 down after 11. I birdie 14 but owe him a shot there, so tie the hole. Birdie 15 and par the hard par 3, 16th to win 2 holes in a row. EVEN after 16. I'm pumped but it's now 4:30 and I've been up for over 12 hours (and my stepcounter was over 34,000 for the day).

I hit a great drive on 17 and then FAT my approach. Can't get it up and down. Now 1 down going to 18.

We both hit decent drives, I'm away (cause he's a kid and hits it a mile). I hit a good shot to a front pin. Just short of the surface. He hits a poor shot and misses the green as well. He's away and hits a poor chip to about 12 feet! I am eyeing a chip in and I lip it out. He hammers his putt home for the 1 up win.

I'm happy it didn't go extras, and sad that I didn't win, but I was never up in the match, had to give him 4 shots, shot 70 on my own ball, and really couldn't have asked for more out of my game. I made 4 birdies, 3 bogeys, hit 10 fairways, 11 GIR and 26 putts. I feel like my game has come back. I had many good par saves, didn't hit it in any trouble all day, and hung in there to the bitter end.

I'm looking forward to the next couple of weeks. I've got lots of golf scheduled and I have the Western Cup for the CGTF in the next 2 weeks. Ya baby!

FORE!

Mike

thats some good playing even with the loss.  One day Im gonna sniff 70, but not today.

WITB

Cobra Radspeed 10.5 driver

Cobra 3 wood

Nickent hybrid

PXG 0311 3-PW 

Cleveland zip core wedges 52,56,60

Odyssey/Goodwood  putters-models works 7 for odyssey and Goodwood custom putters switch out from time to time.

I get to the club fairly early because the guys like to have breakfast there.

I don't like a super early tee-time, however.

I'm a weekday player and tee times aren't a huge problem.

We leave the weekends for the poor guys who are still working for a living.

I've done my best to block that way of life out of my memory.

10 hours ago, bama no 1 said:

thats some good playing even with the loss.  One day Im gonna sniff 70, but not today.

Thanks! It was unexpected after the past 5 weeks of indifferent play. I hope this one score turns the tide for me. (pun intended) I am not really bummed by the loss. I only made 3 bad swings, so much better than what I've been experiencing.

I hope you get the opportunity to get to par or lower. It's really quite fun. Especially when you are getting close and your brain takes over and you either handle the pressure or not... good luck!

FORE!

Mike

On 5/1/2024 at 8:41 PM, Fore67 said:

FORE!

Mike

Hey it’s golf. Way to grind after a long day. You fought back to get it even and just ran out of gas. A lot of good takeaways from that match!

Play like a champion today!

23 minutes ago, Javs said:

Hey it’s golf. Way to grind after a long day. You fought back to get it even and just ran out of gas. A lot of good takeaways from that match!

Thanks! Yes, I have some really good thoughts about how I didn't get down on myself, I didn't throw in the towel, I stayed patient, I hit good shots when I needed to, I fought to stay in it right to the end. And yup, golf is like that. Get to play tomorrow and Sunday. Can't wait to tee it up and get back at the grind!

FORE!

Mike

22 minutes ago, Fore67 said:

Thanks! Yes, I have some really good thoughts about how I didn't get down on myself, I didn't throw in the towel, I stayed patient, I hit good shots when I needed to, I fought to stay in it right to the end. And yup, golf is like that. Get to play tomorrow and Sunday. Can't wait to tee it up and get back at the grind!

FORE!

Mike

Like a Titleist commercial: tomorrow is another day! Go get them!!

Play like a champion today!

20 hours ago, bama no 1 said:

Dam good round! Giving up the 4 shots was tough, but great going!

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST R Flex

3 Wood: TaylorMade Razr

Hybrids: Callaway Rogue Max 3 - 5

Irons: TaylorMade M5

Wedges: TaylorMade Milled Grind 4 52, 54/Titleist Vokey M6 56

Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7

R.jpg