Impulse Purchases?

ole gray

Are you guilty of walking in your local golf big box store and walking out with the goods?  Hmmmmm yea I can't deny it's happen to me a time or ten.  Heck those shiny new toys just beg to be taken home and you're thinking it feels good, looks good, so it must be perfect for me!  Now that you're a member of MGS, you can go into those stores and impulse buy with a purpose because you're equipped with knowledge.  So who all on our forum is guilty of the old walk in and walk out with the goods?

• Like 4

Callaway  Epic Flash 10.5 Driver
Callaway MAVRIK  3 hybrid 18 Degree
Callaway Big Bertha 2019  4 hybrid 
Callaway  Max 5 - PW Irons
Cleveland CBX 2 50 & 54 Degree Wedge
Cleveland CBX Full-Face Wedge 58 degree
Odyssey
White Hot OG 7 S

I'm not guilty!

I don't frequent golf stores very often. The reason is I don't need any of the stuff they are selling. It's all over priced for starters. If I need balls I get them from MG Golf or Snell. Sometimes I get a dozen through business dealings or charity golf events. Occasionally when I'm at Academy to pickup some ammo or something I'll perhaps glance at their ball selection. Sometimes they will have dramatic markdowns. But for golf clubs and such I haven't bought anything from a traditional retailer for probably 15 years. As an example I've recently purchased two NEW (2014 & 2015 models) drivers off ebay. Both were sub-$100 including shipping. As for golf clothing.... a golf retail shop is the last place I'd look.

• Like 3

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

This has to be one advantage of living in a remote part of the country: the nearest golf store has to be at least two hours away.

So I make up for with impulse buys online.

• Like 3

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero, 9°, Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 70 X
:callaway-small: Mavrik Sub Zero 15°, Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 70 S
:cobra-small: F6 5-6W, 18.5°, Fujikura Motore 6.3
:callaway-small: XR Pro 20°, Project X 75 Black HYB S
:Sub70: 699 Pro, Modus3 105, 5–PW
:Sub70: Forged Black 50°, 54°, and 58°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0 [CURRENT MGS FORUM TEST]
:srixon-small: Z-Star XV

Full WITB with pictures

I'm an analyzer.  I guess I am an engineer at heart and in my mind.  Rarely have I walked into a store and bought anything on impulse.  Sure, I will try clubs, especially when the new stuff arrives, but even if I like something I will come back again... and sometimes again and again before I will buy.  The times I have walked into a store and bought something are when I have studied and thoroughly researched it and wanted to buy it.  

Of course, I can do something stupid... and have!!  I never buy anything at Dick's Sporting Goods because they never have anything I need or want.  Yesterday on my drive home through Portland I stopped at Dick's.  I have had a gift certificate for, oh let's say 10 years, and hadn't used it.  I was surprised that it was still good.  I didn't even know how much money was on the card.  I decided to buy the Callaway Sure Out wedge.  I wouldn't have done it except for the $50 gift certificate.  When I got home I went to the course and hit balls from various lies.  Hmmmm!  Maybe I wasn't so stupid!!

• Like 7

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I am not an impulse buyer. I look at stuff for a long time and generally decide that it is more money than I want to spend. When I go to golf stores I see lots of okay stuff just don't end up purchasing. I even struggle when I have gift cards; just nothing all that interesting. Guess I have all the golf stuff I need.

• Like 2

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :callaway-small: 54-10S   :cleveland-small: 588  58-12
Putter:  :seemore-small: mFGP2

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180, :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, Bellum Winmore 787

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Not usually in a store but get some bourbon in me and it's amazing what you can find on sale online. 🤦🏼‍♂️

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 7

Driver: Taylormade M6 10.5*

FW: Callaway Steelhead Plus 4 wood

Hybrid: 18* 2 & 22* 4 Sub 70 949

Irons:  Sub 70 

639 CB 5 - 6

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball Ten Arm Lock
Ball: Titleist Pro V1X
Handicap index:  +2.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

An interesting find on the used putter rack will rope me in every now and then, but I'm pretty good about planning out my new club purchases.

:ping-small:                      400 Driver (8*)                      UST ATTAS Punch 6S

:cobra-small:               F6 Baffler (16*)                      Matrix Red Tie 65Q4

:titelist-small:                        816 H1 Hybrid (21*,23*)        Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY

:srixon-small:                        Z765 (5-PW) +2*                    Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:titelist-small:                        Vokey SM5 50.08F 54.10M   Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:callaway-small:                         PM Grind 60*                         Dynamic Gold S400

:ping-small:                      TR 1966 Anser 2

:srixon-small: Z Star ball        

:ping-small:  Pioneer Cart Bag

Not usually in a store but get some bourbon in me and it's amazing what you can find on sale online. 🤦🏼‍♂️

LOL! Bourbon had encouraged many an online purchase [emoji6]

• Like 1

Odyssey
White Hot OG 7 S

LOL! Bourbon had encouraged many an online purchase [emoji6]

Funny how those happen. Even better is the look from the mrs. When another package shows up at the door.

• Like 4

Driver: Taylormade M6 10.5*

FW: Callaway Steelhead Plus 4 wood

Hybrid: 18* 2 & 22* 4 Sub 70 949

Irons:  Sub 70 

639 CB 5 - 6

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball Ten Arm Lock
Ball: Titleist Pro V1X
Handicap index:  +2.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

Funny how those happen. Even better is the look from the mrs. When another package shows up at the door.

I got one the other day and my wife hid it from me. I was like, where's my effing shipment I was suppose to receive today. She finally fessed up after putting the squeeze on me.

• Like 2

Odyssey
White Hot OG 7 S

Well, there's that... but I have all my golf purchases online sent to my wife's place of business because it's rare that I'm home when things are delivered.  My wife tells me that the UPS/FedEX delivery guy always has a "look".  She just says "It's for my husband."

• Like 1

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I'm not guilty!

I don't frequent golf stores very often. The reason is I don't need any of the stuff they are selling. It's all over priced for starters. If I need balls I get them from MG Golf or Snell. Sometimes I get a dozen through business dealings or charity golf events. Occasionally when I'm at Academy to pickup some ammo or something I'll perhaps glance at their ball selection. Sometimes they will have dramatic markdowns. But for golf clubs and such I haven't bought anything from a traditional retailer for probably 15 years. As an example I've recently purchased two NEW (2014 & 2015 models) drivers off ebay. Both were sub-$100 including shipping. As for golf clothing.... a golf retail shop is the last place I'd look.

I agree with you-- I hardly ever go into any of the big box stores--- I do some business with a friend of mine who owns a local shop and we work together on stuff. He does a lot of Flea Bay business and if a customer inquires as to a club and he does not have it he calls me. I do a lot of horse trading and store credit things with him and he knows where I find a vast majority of my clubs at. As far as grips etc I order quite a few from Maltby but also salvage good grips from POS clubs I find on the yard at work. As far as clothes being a big guy I find what looks good that I can wear at the outlet stores----- I guess I am one cheap SOB

• Like 5

Driver ---- TM M-6 Evenflow 65 G R flex---- 3 wood TM V-Steel Aldila 65G R Flex--- 7 Wood TM V-Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex---  Irons 5 thru PW 2016 TM TP CBs Steelfiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy2 52* Stock regular shaft--- SW Callaway Mack Daddy PM grind modified to 10* bounce KBS wedge shaft R---- Putter Scotty Sante Fe fluted Bulls Eye shaft you seriously think it was going anywhere? Bag Old School Burton Mini Staff non demontional no advertising

Amazon kills me with impulse purchases.  Most recent was the orange whip. I have never even swung one.  I hope it does something!  

:callaway-small:  Epic Flash SZ 9o w/ Ventus 6X

:callaway-small:  Rogue 4wd w/ ATMOS Red 7X

:755178188_TourEdge: CBX 20o w/ ATMOS Blue 7S tipped 1"

:mizuno-small:  JPX 900 Tour 4i - PW (standard lofts) Rifle

:titelist-small:  SM6 51o, 59o, SM7 55o   

:titelist-small:  2019 ProV1x

:tp-mills-1: Custom Ming

Amazon kills me with impulse purchases.

THIS x 1000. Especially if you have Prime. Sometimes I have withdrawals if I'm not receiving a package in the mail, haha.

• Like 1

:ping-small: G400 Max

:ping-small: G410 3W

:ping-small: G410 3 & 4 Crossover

:ping-small: i200 5-PW

:vokey-small: Vokey SM7 | 52-56-60

:taylormade-small: Taylormade Spider X

Amazon kills me with impulse purchases. Most recent was the orange whip. I have never even swung one. I hope it does something!

One of the best purchases you'll make this year! Love my orange whip [emoji7]

Odyssey
White Hot OG 7 S

I'm pretty sure my middle name is impulse.

• Like 5

:titelist-small: TSi1 Aldila Ascent 40G shaft

:titelist-small: TSi2 18 FW with GD AD IZ 6 Shaft

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 and 23 degree hybrids Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T300 5-P Tensei  R flex shaft 1/4 long 

:titelist-small: SM8 48F/54/58 D Grinds 

:ping-small: Tyne 4 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

Amazon kills me with impulse purchases.  Most recent was the orange whip. I have never even swung one.  I hope it does something!  

You'll love it.  I tried it at the PGA Show last month and should have ordered it right there. I've been puttying it off since I got back.  

• Like 1

:titelist-small: TSi1 Aldila Ascent 40G shaft

:titelist-small: TSi2 18 FW with GD AD IZ 6 Shaft

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 and 23 degree hybrids Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T300 5-P Tensei  R flex shaft 1/4 long 

:titelist-small: SM8 48F/54/58 D Grinds 

:ping-small: Tyne 4 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12