Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Square Strike Wedge Unofficial Review

ole gray

I've been wondering about the square strike. Great info!

<p>WITB: All Wilson EverythingDriver:  :wilson_staff_small:  FG tour F5 9*3 wood:  :wilson_staff_small: FG tour F5 13.5*</p><p>Hybrids:  :wilson_staff_small: FG tour F5 17* and 23*5-GW:  :wilson_staff_small: C100 with KBS Tour V 100g shafts Wedges:  :wilson_staff_small: FG tour PMP frosted 54* and 58*Putter:  :wilson_staff_small: Lincoln ParkBall:   :wilson_staff_small: Duo SSP(testing) and :srixon-small:  Z-star

I've been wondering about the square strike. Great info!

I appreciate the review. I feel like these are more often than not a gimmic. All I think about is the alien wedge when I see things like this. But great non biased review!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Thanks guys!   Yea I'm just an old country boy and I don't know any other way than laying the cards on the table.  I'm certainly not on Square Strike Wedge's payroll so I call it like I see it.  Actually this is what drew me to MyGolfSpy was the hard cold facts when it comes to equipment.  No better place on the web IMO.   

I will say after three times out with the SSW it is growing on me and tomorrow will be interesting after I put some time in today.   Let's see what tomorrow brings!

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

I appreciate the review. I feel like these are more often than not a gimmic. All I think about is the alien wedge when I see things like this. But great non biased review!

Yeah I for one am not impressed by hype especially those clubs on TV. But from what I have seen from my friend Checkers I will back up ole gray 110%. That club could truly help some folks

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Great review so far Ole gray! Appreciate your thoughts on this club. Lately, I've had some serious issues with wedges (ok, more serious than the other clubs at the moment 😁). This club might be the ticket for me to get out of the wedge blues!

MDGolfHacker

What's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Great review so far Ole gray! Appreciate your thoughts on this club. Lately, I've had some serious issues with wedges (ok, more serious than the other clubs at the moment ). This club might be the ticket for me to get out of the wedge blues!

MDGolfHacker

I'm looking forward to today's round as I grade my results with the SSW while playing for a score.  Not to mention when money is to be won.  ;)  Last grade I gave was a D however that was hopping on the course stone cold without the proper grip installed.  

If a non conventional club works, why not stick it in the bag?  Some folks would not be caught dead with something like the SSW showing in their bag. Either they think they are too good and or they don't want their friends laughing at them.  IMO they are only hurting themselves. I don't give a rats arse what others think about what I bag and if it helps me spank their butt, then so be it. 

Cleveland

Great review so far Ole gray! Appreciate your thoughts on this club. Lately, I've had some serious issues with wedges (ok, more serious than the other clubs at the moment ). This club might be the ticket for me to get out of the wedge blues!

MDGolfHacker

I was having wedge yips a few weeks ago.  That week I had a lesson where I hit nothing but 7 irons for an hour.  Then that same week spent some extra time with my putter focused on putting through the ball on short putts (tired of leaving them short).  For some reason the combo of working on ball placement/striking and making sure I hit through the ball with my putter (and neglecting my wedges) got rid of my yips. 

Come to think about it, I'm starting to think my wedges are like a jealous girlfriend.

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

Do not believe the hype ANYONE can chunk any club ANYTIME-- On the tight lies may I throw out one try to choke down and take your putting stroke. It may work for you. Also relax that right hand and don't throw it in too much

Choking down works well on short & tight lies and I move up the grip on the longer shots.  I'm working hard on relaxing that right hand until it becomes second nature.   Heck I'm getting pretty darn good at the 30 - 40 yard pitch shots.  I hit two today that felt good, looked good, and results were good. I'm finding it really easy and fun to hit from fluffy lies just off the green.   

I didn't win the big bucks today as one of my friends shot 35/40 = 75 and was +9 in the blitz.  He was on fire!  :blink:   I did enjoy the SSW and hit enough good shots to grade it out as a C+ today.   I'm adjusting to it better each time out and I expect a better grade to show up within the next round or two.   

Today's report card:

2 - Thinned shots

4 - In the leather chips!

3 - Left significantly short of hole

2  - 30 - 40 yard pitches that resulted in saved pars!

I had three of my friends try it out with one saying he will be ordering one soon.  ;)

I'll try to get a couple of videos up soon showing some action around the practice green. 

Am I glad I ordered the Square Strike Wedge?  You bet ya bottom dollar!  Am I skilled at it yet?  Hell no....  :wacko:   Am I getting better? Every time out I'm gaining confidence and seeing progress.  It's a permanent fixture in my bag and I can't see it going anywhere.  Now I need to fix those short chips off tight lies and get this show on the road!

Cleveland

C+ ??? :blink:

Thinned shots weren't the club's fault.

Otherwise, 6 of 9 were perfection - and it should get bonus points for the 30-40 yd pitches.

Seems like it deserved better than that!

6 of 11 boss man  ;) .    Still not bad so I'll curve the grade up to a B  :D

Cleveland

Choking down works well on short & tight lies and I move up the grip on the longer shots. I'm working hard on relaxing that right hand until it becomes second nature. Heck I'm getting pretty darn good at the 30 - 40 yard pitch shots. I hit two today that felt good, looked good, and results were good. I'm finding it really easy and fun to hit from fluffy lies just off the green.

I didn't win the big bucks today as one of my friends shot 35/40 = 75 and was +9 in the blitz. He was on fire! :blink: I did enjoy the SSW and hit enough good shots to grade it out as a C+ today. I'm adjusting to it better each time out and I expect a better grade to show up within the next round or two.

Today's report card:

2 - Thinned shots

2 - 30 - 40 yard pitches that resulted in saved pars!

I had three of my friends try it out with one saying he will be ordering one soon. ;)

I'll try to get a couple of videos up soon showing some action around the practice green.

Am I glad I ordered the Square Strike Wedge? You bet ya bottom dollar! Am I skilled at it yet? Hell no.... :wacko: Am I getting better? Every time out I'm gaining confidence and seeing progress. It's a permanent fixture in my bag and I can't see it going anywhere. Now I need to fix those short chips off tight lies and get this show on the road!

Out of curiosity... what club is it replacing? Sounds like you really don't use your wedges much anymore...

Those cbx must be lonely and looking for a new home...

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

Out of curiosity... what club is it replacing? Sounds like you really don't use your wedges much anymore...

Those cbx must be lonely and looking for a new home...

I currently have 13 clubs in my bag including the SSW and the CBX wedges are staying around until the grooves wear off.   I love them puppies!  Check out my signature for the complete setup... 

Cleveland

For some reason the Tapatalk app doesn't show any signatures.

At any rate sounds like a really fun club and once you get more time with it I'm sure it will be like shootin fish in a barrel and your buddies will be begging for their $$$ back!

Thanks for sharing your experience...

I currently have 13 clubs in my bag including the SSW and the CBX wedges are staying around until the grooves wear off. I love them puppies! Check out my signature for the complete setup...

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

For some reason the Tapatalk app doesn't show any signatures.

At any rate sounds like a really fun club and once you get more time with it I'm sure it will be like shooting fish in a barrel and your buddies will be begging for their $$$ back!

Thanks for sharing your experience...

Here ya go partner and no doubt with any club of this nature there will be an adjustment period.  Once I get the the little stuff figured out, I'll be cooking fish for supper!  :D 

:ping-small:  G400 Max 10.5 / Fujikura Vista Pro 65 S

:callaway-small:  Steelhead XR 3H & 4H

:callaway-small:  Steelhead XR Irons 5 -  PW

:cleveland-small:  CBX  Wedges 50 & 56 degree

:bettinardi-small: Queen B #9 Putter 

Squire Strike Wedge 45 degree 

Cleveland

This is great! I've been hoping for a staff review of this product so thanks!

I will be curious as to what club one would replace it with and how it flies when you hit it full.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Ok so I want to make sure folks are aware that if you add an inch or two you're going to feel a much heavier head.  I thought the extra two inches would be of benefit however today I took it back down to 35.  I also put  a Superstroke mid slim on it as my official tournament days are over.  Besides if I get the hankering to play a USGA tournament I can always leave the Green Machine in the truck.  Tomorrow I'm playing with the guys so it will be fun to play the new configuration.  Hang in there with me because this journey will be full of surprises!

Cleveland

This is great! I've been hoping for a staff review of this product so thanks!

I will be curious as to what club one would replace it with and how it flies when you hit it full.

Rev the top of my bag consists of a driver & two hybrids so I have room at the bottom for my  SSW.   It produces a mid flight trajectory and I personally have had success from 30 to 40 yard range.  I've heard you can hit it from further out however I prefer my CBX wedges for the longer approach shots.  It's a very versatile club and it's supposed to be easy to hit out of fairway bunkers and low lip green side bunkers.  I have not tried that yet however it is on my agenda.  It's starting to grow on me to say the least.

Cleveland

Choking down works well on short & tight lies and I move up the grip on the longer shots.  I'm working hard on relaxing that right hand until it becomes second nature.   Heck I'm getting pretty darn good at the 30 - 40 yard pitch shots.  I hit two today that felt good, looked good, and results were good. I'm finding it really easy and fun to hit from fluffy lies just off the green.   

I didn't win the big bucks today as one of my friends shot 35/40 = 75 and was +9 in the blitz.  He was on fire!  :blink:   I did enjoy the SSW and hit enough good shots to grade it out as a C+ today.   I'm adjusting to it better each time out and I expect a better grade to show up within the next round or two.   

Today's report card:

2 - Thinned shots

2  - 30 - 40 yard pitches that resulted in saved pars!

I had three of my friends try it out with one saying he will be ordering one soon.  ;)

Am I glad I ordered the Square Strike Wedge?  You bet ya bottom dollar!  Am I skilled at it yet?  Hell no....  :wacko:   Am I getting better? Every time out I'm gaining confidence and seeing progress.  It's a permanent fixture in my bag and I can't see it going anywhere.  Now I need to fix those short chips off tight lies and get this show on the road!

You are already showing confidence in it by your posts. Just practice it more----

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Ok so I want to make sure folks are aware that if you add an inch or two you're going to feel a much heavier head.  I thought the extra two inches would be of benefit however today I took it back down to 35.  I also put  a Superstroke mid slim on it as my official tournament days are over.  Besides if I get the hankering to play a USGA tournament I can always leave the Green Machine in the truck.  Tomorrow I'm playing with the guys so it will be fun to play the new configuration.  Hang in there with me because this journey will be full of surprises!

Fix it like you want it so you can play better with it---- To heck with what the USGA says

G

Fix it like you want it so you can play better with it---- To heck with what the USGA says

I'm 67 years old and playing totally for fun these days.  All the old guys I play are aware of my new toy and one is ready to order his.  Hell we got one guy who plays with a belly putter and one who has so many clubs in his bag, he can't pick it up. I'm strongest so I always load his bag on the cart.  He has like 17 clubs in his bag along with a couple dozen balls, $10.00  in quarters for his bets, and gawd knows what else.   He's 78 so we don't give a flip what he's got in there.   :D

Cleveland

That's great!

Who the hell cares.

I told the old dude who I assist with loading his bag on the cart, that he will have to start tipping! I'm pretty sure his bag is heavier than a 747.  :blink:

No practice time today however I will be heading out of town early tomorrow morning to put the SSW in to play on a course we don't play often.  It should be a good test !

Cleveland

Putting Stroke - Putting Stroke - Putting Stroke !   I am convinced that any other motion with this club around the greens is a no no.  You MUST keep the the Y going back and through the ball.  If you flip, you're in for a long day. 

Cleveland

Just found the Green Machine in action on YouTube with some dude that calls himself Ole Gray.  "that's 2 in a row folks, that's as good as I can do it".  Someone get this man an infomercial! 

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

Just found the Green Machine in action on YouTube with some dude that calls himself Ole Gray. "that's 2 in a row folks, that's as good as I can do it". Someone get this man an infomercial!

LOL ! I tried to remove that one because it's not clear. I dropped the last two so I was hoping it would have turned out better.

Cleveland

Great post! Always looking for any help where I can get it! Just ordered one before I saw this thread so as soon as I get it Ill be back with some reviews as well..

Awesome! Jump right in and get er done 🏌️⛳️

Cleveland

It's becoming the"green machine brigade"

Sent from my XT1635-01 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:cobra-small:             F7+ w/Fujikura Pro XLR8 Graphite Shaft

Ben_Hogan_Golf_Equipment_Company.jpg.b9602c912623c841ad9ad52593c15dee.jpg                3-I  MPF H-Series3B2M graphite Shaft w/Winn Dri-Tac grip mid

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png            STi   Irons 5-SW   KURO KAGE  70IR Flex-R  Lamkin Grips

:cobra-small:             King F6 Hybrid Matrix Red Tie HQ4 Graphite Shaft

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png           Forged FGT  60* wedge KURO KAGE 70R SS cross Comfort grip

:odyssey-small:           O-Putter 1W

I'm 67 years old and playing totally for fun these days.  All the old guys I play are aware of my new toy and one is ready to order his.  Hell we got one guy who plays with a belly putter and one who has so many clubs in his bag, he can't pick it up. I'm strongest so I always load his bag on the cart.  He has like 17 clubs in his bag along with a couple dozen balls, $10.00  in quarters for his bets, and gawd knows what else.   He's 78 so we don't give a flip what he's got in there.   :D

When we were screwing with the tourist golfers the other week one questioned the legality of the one in Checker's bag. I told him if you want to get technical the Hogans in my bag (1954) were not legal now but were in 1954. Of course Bear in his normal course sorta growled at them and said " No one in this foresome gives a s**t" That was the round I played the old Hogans on the front side and shot +2 and then went to Bear's car and got the MP 68s and made the crack "BTW these are legal they were made in 2012" I am like you I have retired from comp and stipulated events and play what I want to. And no one I play with in any of the 3 groups gives a rat's behind either. Play what you wanna

G

Ordered it yesterday and arrived on my porch today! Ill try to get in some practice with it before I play Tues and Wed and let you all know about it! Green machine brigade lol

I'm looking forward to your experience with it.  I'm taking a pause for a few days as I'm having an physical issue that is definitely affecting my short game timing etc.   I'll be back on the job soon so hopefully we can compare notes and enlighten the forum members and visitors of our experience.   Thanks for joining in!

Cleveland

It is refreshing to read a review of a specialty club like the Square Strike, and also the supportive comments from the forum.

Years ago, when Cleveland first introduced the Smart Sole chipper and sand wedge, at another forum I started a thread encouraging guys to try it. The response I got was unanimous against the Smart Sole's especially the chipper. Most replied "the chipper is the same thing as an 8-iron, don't need it". Or, "spend time practicing and one does not need gimmick clubs".

Actually, a chipper is not "the same thing as an 8 -iron". It is in fact a shorter length, a different weight, a more upright lie angle, a different sole shape etc...

Back then my thoughts on specialty clubs were the same as they are today. That is....... if a player is not consistently shooting 72 then he should be willing to consider any and all types of clubs, including a chipper or a specialty sand wedge.

I did try the Smart Sole chipper for about 20 rounds of golf. Took it out of the bag because it was not performing well for me. I tried the Smart Sole SW for about 18 months. For me that one performed very well from bunkers and green side lob shots. I did not have good distance control with it from outside of about 50 yards, though, so it is no longer in the bag.

I bet I know what forum you got fried on for that review--- Either WRX or GEA---- You are correct a chipper is not the same as a 8 iron. It is all together a different animal. Those Green Things are 45* which if you want to be technical can be anything from a 8 iron to a PW depending on the set now days. FWIW I would never make the smart aleck comment to someone as in "learn to use a 8 iron" I have always been about use what you can use and fits your game.

G