Putting Mat or Personal Launch monitor

What aid to get?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. What training aid would you benefit more more?

• Personal Launch monitor
    • Putting Mat
    • Save your money for lessons and more playing

Then I would say lessons, if just pure ball striking is the problem.  Driving and approach game is tee to "green" = ball striking.  (not counting pitching and chipping).  Some people think they have putting problems but they can't hit irons to a reasonable distance and leave themselves in 3 putt territory all the time or they can't chip it to 10-12 feet to give a reasonable chance for up and down.

A great training aid for ball striking is a phone holder to video yourself on the range $20.  Real vs Feel is shocking some times.  Going along with that is a good mirror in the garage to work on your positions that you can see from your lessons.  $60 at lowes.  I would not recommend launch monitor at 30 hcp.  If you are just trying to stay on the course, that will not be helpful.  

Agree with the above.  Pick an instructor you like and have a conversation about where you want to go (game-wise) and how to get there.  Do you want to get to single digit hcp?  or do you just want to be tweaked a little?   Old guys don't want to be broken down and start from scratch with their swing.  Will take too long.  Young guys (less than 50) should consider it and remove all the bad habits from previous times.  That might take 10-15 lessons over 6-12 months.  if you want get a lot better.    but that 10 lessons will do a lot more for you (if you do the practice with it) than a $500 anything.

Cheers

Tigger

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rbsiedsc said:

likely every time i go to the range to be honest. Especially the MLM since I can look at swing and see where things are faulty

No offense.

If you are a 30 handicap you would probably do better with lessons from a quality pro rather than a launch monitor.

• Like 2

On 5/10/2021 at 4:13 PM, rbsiedsc said:

Birthday is around the corner and i think i could pull for one of these two things. The putting mat would be less wallet hit but the MLM might help my game more. Adam Young and others broke down that about 60% of your strokes come from Driving and Approach game, and that has me thinking more about the monitor. In hindsight, plyaing more could help that part of my game out as well. A putting mat (putt out has a slim version that is tempting me) could then be an everyday 5-10 minutes a day and really get my stroke down. For those of you improving your game, what route would you go? 

I did a review on the Rapsodo MLM and really enjoyed it. You can check it out for some more details, but I believe it can really help you hone in your gapping and determine your distance as well as see videos of yourself. One thing I'll mention is that you can't see every video of yourself if you have the free version. It'll only show your most recent shots. You will need to buy the pro version, which I think is $100 a year and opens up tons of video storage, slow motion replay (which was really cool), and an apex point of each shot (which was not very accurate, I hope they have fixed that since my pro version expired in January). I still use Rapsodo at the range and at home in the net, but mainly for yardage and launch angle when hitting into the net.

I am also a real believer in lessons. I think @twyatt700 nailed it at least for my thought process in that I go down random youtube video trails/online articles in trying to fix my swing from what I see on Rapsodo. I think lessons are a gamechanger and the Rapsodo can help you maintain those lessons you learned. 

• Like 1

:ping-small:  G410 Plus, w/ X stiff 75 g Project X Evenflow Black shaft driver

:adams-small: GT Tight Lies 3 & 5 wood

:taylormade-small: SLDR AW - 4 iron S flex

:cleveland-small: Rotex 2.0 RTX 588 56°

:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 08M 60°

:scotty-small: Newport 2.5 putter

:Snell:MTB X golf balls

RH, Alabama

On 5/11/2021 at 2:07 PM, Les L said:

No offense.

If you are a 30 handicap you would probably do better with lessons from a quality pro rather than a launch monitor.

You can still hit groups of 20-30 balls, remove your worst 4-5 and better learn your carry distances for each club which is another big weakness for high handicap golfers. You can also practice hitting specific distances - 60, 80, 100. Which will lower your handicap as you become more skilled. 

• Like 1

:cobra-small: F9 Driver 9*

:cobra-small: Baffler 2H/4H

:ping-small: G700 4i, G410 6-UW, Glide 2.0 54, 60*

:EVNROLL: ER2.2

24 minutes ago, BMart519 said:

You can still hit groups of 20-30 balls, remove your worst 4-5 and better learn your carry distances for each club which is another big weakness for high handicap golfers. You can also practice hitting specific distances - 60, 80, 100. Which will lower your handicap as you become more skilled. 

Good points. Was actually a side of this I didn’t fully consider. 

I am also a self teacher so seeing data would really help me understand what to work on. 

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic Flash SZ with Tensei Orange Pro S (1" tipped) at 44.5"

2H: :callaway-small: Super Hybrid with Tensei Orange Pro Hyb 80 Stiff 

3H: :Sub70: 939X UST proforce V2 black F3 hybrid soft stepped XStiff UPRT setting 

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 1/4" long Unofficial Review

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)  (Backup 54*,60*: :ping-small:  S Tour KBS Tour Stiff 3* up)

Putter: TAII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter (Testing SIK DW 2.0 35" double bend)

Ball: :Snell:MTB-X

:Arccos:

• 4 weeks later...

Message me if you are considering the Mevo, or Mevo+, and want a discount.  I'm not selling, just letting you know you can buy brand new ones with a discount.