Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

grumpy starters its a GM problem

Bags

90% of all starters are grumpy bastard s - like they own the course because holding a clipboard with tees times lol. GM dont train these guys and their all rouge which is truly a shame because starters are the face of your club. Starters should say please keep up pace of play repair all ball marks and divots and thnx for coming out have a great day - nope never happens.

Starters GM s plz remember golfers are your CUSTOMERS not the other way around

Bags

I think that's a very vague statement and not true at all for a lot of places.   Our company/course puts every employee not just starters through a pretty through customer training program.  Many of them are retired from very successful careers and do this a couple days a week for the golf privileges and some part time pay.    I would say every time I see them interacting with a guests, it's always in a very positive manor.  

Maybe you need a change of venues, as no course should treat their paying customers in the manner you describe. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I'd say the opposite that 90% of starters are very welcoming and pleasant.

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

I'd say the opposite that 90% of starters are very welcoming and pleasant.

I agree.  At my muni the starters are members of the club that volunteer their time and are very pleasant.  We only have a starter on Friday - Sunday in the mornings when it's the busiest.  Then as the number of players teeing off get fewer and fewer, the starter becomes a marshal along with another marshal already on the course.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

This could be a case of one bad egg ruining the dozen. Some may come off a little pushy when they are informing the golfers what the expected pace of play is but overall I have been very lucky to have had great experiences with all the starters except one. That's a story for another thread though.

Sent from my Pixel using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Most of the starters that I encounter are engaging. They clearly get it that golfers are their customers.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Haven't played a while lot of courses but do well recall one in Palm Springs, CA where the starter was very, very friendly and out-going .. almost a little too much so. But, yes, it did give the whole place a positive "vibe".

Places that have rangers ... well, seems like sometimes those guys can be the grumpy ones!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

I think the 90% measure is way over-blown. Most places I play or travel to the guys (and once a lady) were very pleasant generally speaking. Even at my home course.... our starter isn't exactly Mr. Personality but he's a nice guy if you get to know him a little bit. If you're a dick he can be one too. Pro Tip.... next time you're at your course slip the guy a $20. Tell him to go enjoy a steak dinner.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

If I had to guess it's when they tell them they have to play faster. So they come off a certain way. Next thing you know angry starter. Me personally, send me off friendly and be angry when people aren't following the rules of play. A friendly hurry up isn't going to change the pace of play

Back at a course I used to play (now condos, natch) the starter was as old as dirt, been there as long as anyone could remember- there were rumors he was the real owner, this place used to be his farm, etc., He was the coolest guy ever, no one could figure out how he got all his stories, considering he was there, rain or shine, every day. He also liked to drink. A lot. He always had a bottle of something in the shack, and there wss a tradition of giving him a beer or a snort while you waited to tee off. Then if you accomplished something significant- eagle, chip in, etc you came back by the shack to have a drink with him. I honestly don't know how he survived, and maybe he didn't after the place was sold, but that guy was a legend. Wish I had a picture with him.

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

10) You think you're intelligent, and yet don't know the difference between they're, their, and they're.

You missed one you're-self!

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

ahem*

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/17645-rant-thread/?p=406268

4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

I don't get it...

I'd walk a mile in another mans shoes before passing judgment. Working at a golf course isn't as glamorous as it seems. A staters job is to not only control flow, it is to run defense on people who try to get away with free rounds.

Most golfers are good people but when you sprinkle in the guy with the guy fieri visor, the ones who use old receipts to try and scam a free round and the ones who take seven practice swings it wears on you.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

Back at a course I used to play (now condos, natch) the starter was as old as dirt, been there as long as anyone could remember- there were rumors he was the real owner, this place used to be his farm, etc., He was the coolest guy ever, no one could figure out how he got all his stories, considering he was there, rain or shine, every day. He also liked to drink. A lot. He always had a bottle of something in the shack, and there wss a tradition of giving him a beer or a snort while you waited to tee off. Then if you accomplished something significant- eagle, chip in, etc you came back by the shack to have a drink with him. I honestly don't know how he survived, and maybe he didn't after the place was sold, but that guy was a legend. Wish I had a picture with him.

Yes - I played at a place like this once. There was also a woman starter - when she wasn't on they would have a pin up calendar hanging in the shack always on the wrong month. It turns out that she was Miss February. It was WWII vintage and this was in the 70's.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I don't get it.

IMG_5509.JPG

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

I don't get it...

read it again - a bit slower...

I'd walk a mile in another mans shoes before passing judgment. Working at a golf course isn't as glamorous as it seems. A staters job is to not only control flow, it is to run defense on people who try to get away with free rounds.

Most golfers are good people but when you sprinkle in the guy with the guy fieri visor, the ones who use old receipts to try and scam a free round and the ones who take seven practice swings it wears on you.

The beauty of this is you're a mile away from him........and you have his shoes ;) :)

10) You think you're intelligent, and yet don't know the difference between they're, their, and they're.

ahem*

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/17645-rant-thread/?p=406268

file-AF5231D4-426A-43DE-AE83-FDA5C5E3D8F6-14600-0000049188383D6E.jpg

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

STUD got it!

My guess is that 90% of your experiences with starters lead you to believe that they're "all grumpy old bastards" is because:

1) You're a disrespectful young person.

2) You think just because you pay your greens fee that everybody owes you something.

3) You've been told more than once to keep pace with the group in front of you.

4) You've had to be reminded to fix your ballmarks and to replace your divots.

5) You probably put little effort into raking traps too.

6) You play only on weekends during peak hours.

7) You are more interested in the beer cart girl than you are in playing good golf.

8) You're always late for, or pushing, your tee time.

9) When you attend golf tournaments you are the guy yelling, "get in the hole" on every shot.

10) You think you're intelligent, and yet don't know the difference between they're, their, and there.

Am I getting warm yet?

Im 51 there sporto last time I post here - your completely wrong and know zip about - you must be a gm lol - opinions are like assholes and ur 1. I fix as many ball marks as possible- I rake traps like its my own yard and even in south with no divot repair I get my divot and replace - its customers service 101 I can teach ignorance but I cant teach u there their there's sporto - ur ice cold and an ******* - done here use to be a decent place to post not so much . cheers there jr

Bags

Have to disagree. There was Thread a while back about nasty Starters/Rangers. Maybe on rare occasion we run into a Starter or Ranger that may be a bit pissy but overall my experience has been pretty positive. Mostly they are just retired guys/women getting a few bucks, perks and otta the house for a while. I have to give them credit dealing with the public.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

My guess is that 90% of your experiences with starters lead you to believe that they're "all grumpy old bastards" is because:

1) You're a disrespectful young person.

Am I getting warm yet?

I've run into more disrespectful "old" golfers than I have disrespectful "young" golfers.

Okay............. there is no doubt there are grumpy starters. There is also no doubt there are very gregarious starters. I've encountered both. I've been both...lol.

So... I've had more bad experiences with rangers than I've had with starters. At the end of the day, does it matter?

We have all had bad days and better days. Golf is a game we play because we're stupid...lol. Rangers and Starters are just like us. Remember that.

My experience with starters is very limited, as it's not something we see much in Australia, it's usually handled by the pro shop.

I played twice at a resort course in Hawaii, one starter was a little grumpy and didn't seem to want to be there, the other was friendly and engaging. I had a similar experience in the pro shop when checking in and paying.

At the price they were charging, I expect staff to be friendly and welcoming. Realistically, if you don't want to engage with the public, don't do a job that requires you to.  Management needs to be aware of surly staff, but if the are working remotely from other staff (as in the situation I encountered in Hawaii) they may not know about it if customers don't tell them.

Of course, this is just my opinion and experience, I hope it's ok with RP58 for me to hold it.

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

. :lol:

Truer words have not been spoken.

I knew that

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Golf is a game we play because we're stupid...lol. Rangers and Starters are just like us. Remember that.

During my younger years, I might have agreed that golf is a game for people that may be intellectually lacking.   But now that I am an "old coot", it would be stupid for me to do anything else outside of home.   As I have said multiple times, I play golf because it will not kill me; I doesn't require me to run.   It is also my personal observation that many rangers and starters, likewise, are "seasoned" individuals.  Therefore, they can relate, they understand the added importance of participating in the game, and they act with such understanding.  They also know the limitations of age, so if and when, they remind us of slow play etiquette, they are not being grumpy but just fulfilling the responsibility of their roles.       

Archived