Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

True game changers

revkev

Between Callaway’s ball claims and now Cleveland’s wedge claims I’m over it. If you’re really a game changer you don’t have to tell people about it, IMO. It just happens.

I would say that the real game changers in my golfing life time have been:

Ping with its Putter and then Eye 2 iron. Real technology jumps with both that caused large number of players on tour to use them and also that had a carry over impact for the rest of us.

Taylor Made’s original one - yes the Big Bertha was a great advance after that because it proved that bigger was better but the move to metal was insured with that Pittsburg persimmon driver. For all of us.

The Pro VI will forever be the ball that changed the ball in my lifetime. In two weeks everyone had to game it on tour. I’ve never seen anything else like that.

There have been any number of great clubs, balls or other advanced but to me each of these were true trend setters and permanent game changers.

Reactions? Have I left something out?

Again this is I my golfing life time - going back to the mid 60’s.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Between Callaway’s ball claims and now Cleveland’s wedge claims I’m over it. If you’re really a game changer you don’t have to tell people about it, IMO. It just happens.

Ping with its Putter and then Eye 2 iron. Real technology jumps with both that caused large number of players on tour to use them and also that had a carry over impact for the rest of us.

Taylor Made’s original one - yes the Big Bertha was a great advance after that because it proved that bigger was better but the move to metal was insured with that Pittsburg persimmon driver. For all of us.

The Pro VI will forever be the ball that changed the ball in my lifetime. In two weeks everyone had to game it on tour. I’ve never seen anything else like that.

There have been any number of great clubs, balls or other advanced but to me each of these were true trend setters and permanent game changers.

The original Odyssey 2-ball. Everybody that didn't have a Scotty bagged that thing when I was a caddy. I also think the TaylorMade R7 drivers because those were the first with adjustable weights.

I agree with you 100% on the original Pro V1 because that solid core ball changed everything.

Let's just be realistic. The USGA hasn't changed ball or club specs in a decade plus. Wasn't the last major change them rolling back wedge grooves? My point is everything is maxed out to those specifications already. When manufacturers talk about revolutionary changes, realistically we're looking at things like making the cover of golf balls tenths of a millimeter thicker or thinner or moving the CG half a centimeter deeper in a club head. Without major USGA changes or the development of a truely revolutionary material for club construction this is as good as it's gonna be.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

I like the R7 call - yes adjustability is a huge change.

Was the two ball really something new or an enhancement? It certainly had a good, albeit short run.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

For me, the advent of the introduction of steel to golf. First with shafts, then with drivers/fairways, etc.

Then balls in the 90s.

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

I like the R7 call - yes adjustability is a huge change.

Was the two ball really something new or an enhancement? It certainly had a good, albeit short run.

Was there something before that accomplished the same type of visual aid? The early 2000s was when I got into golf so I don't recall putters that weren't in the Anser-type head shape, Bulleye, or Zebras. Even if it wasn't the first it still led to the alignment aid boom in mallet putters that's still going with Triple Track.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

2 hours ago, DiscipleofPenick said:

Was there something before that accomplished the same type of visual aid? The early 2000s was when I got into golf so I don't recall putters that weren't in the Anser-type head shape, Bulleye, or Zebras. Even if it wasn't the first it still led to the alignment aid boom in mallet putters that's still going with Triple Track.

2 hours ago, revkev said:

I Kam going to say enhancement.  the Pelz 3 ball was in 1986

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

A couple of things that might be considered game changers would be the advancement of materials in woods: persimmon, steel, titanium, and now the incorporation of carbon;  the use of milling machines over forgings which allowed for more precision in manufacturing. 

In the fitting world,  it would be the use of shaft adapters/club connex to allow people to try club combinations without fitters having to have glued clubs in stock.

Callaway's AI for design will become a game changer; as well as 3D printing.

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I'll also add Broadie's work for strokes gained;  it has changed the way people play/strategize golf.  

A couple of things that might be considered game changers would be the advancement of materials in woods: persimmon, steel, titanium, and now the incorporation of carbon;  the use of milling machines over forgings which allowed for more precision in manufacturing. 
In the fitting world,  it would be the use of shaft adapters/club connex to allow people to try club combinations without fitters having to have glued clubs in stock.
Callaway's AI for design will become a game changer; as well as 3D printing.
We could also say the rubber grip. Hand wrapping leather had to be so difficult and precise.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

I'm really looking for stuff that we can remember as opposed to stuff that we know happened historically.  For example I'm going out on a limb here and guessing that PMookie was not around when steel shafts first came out. 🙂

I knew there was something before the two ball - had forgotten that it was Pelz - why not?

I agree with the AI stuff although it seems as if a number of companies were there about the same time - it certainly will be the wave of the future.  

Beyond a doubt Brodie and his type of statistical analysis are huge game changers - great call there.  It amazes me still when I hear an older announcer wondering if a guy were better off laying up to a "favorite" yardage or hitting it so close to the green.  It's like asking if you'd rather have a 230 hitter who bangs 40 dingers or a guy who hits 10 and bats .300.  The object in golf at the professional level is to shoot the lowest score and the object in baseball is to score the most runs.  If research suggests a different way of thinking, I'll go with the research every time.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I agree with you on the research@revkev but for me it needs to be definitive. For example I was eating through the Shot Scope books the other day and found contradictory data, or at least thier conclusions.

In their driver section the data suggested hitting driver all the time no matter what. But in their approach shot section they state that it is paramount importance to be in the fairway as that is the best way to get it close to the flag. Wellllll which is it? Rip driver to have a shorter approach or make sure one is in the fairway to give the best chance to knock it close? There is no real conclusion here and one has to decide what approach is best based on their own skills and confidence.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Movable sleeves and weights in drivers I think is huge from a fitting standpoint and letting average golfers enjoy the game more if properly fitted. 

The push for hybrids have been very big as well.  From 2005 to now, the amount of players using them is staggering.

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

On 3/6/2021 at 9:13 AM, revkev said:

+1 on PING's Anser putter and Eye 2 irons.  Karsten Solheim is to golf what Nikola Tesla was to electricity.  More recently I would add Henri Johnson's introduction of ball launch monitor technology and the significant advances of these system in the subsequent few decades.  The ability to move from static club fitting to dynamic fitting is huge.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)

Agree most definitely with Ping . Especially attention to club fitting (color codes for lie angle), perimeter weighting cast clubs and the Anser.

Maybe not a game changer, Maybe not well known with current generation golfers that only buy OEM off the rack but As a long time club builder/fitting hobbyist I appreciate Tom Wishon and his research regarding golf shafts. Major influence within clubmaking/fitters community and in my opinion impacted many golf shaft designers. To me he demonstrated truth testing in his research/efforts to help fit golfers to a proper golf shaft. To me that body of work is a lot like the MGS drive & commitment to gathering quality measurable data sets to find truth in which clubs, products work/fit best to a golfer.

Sent from my SM-N960U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Forums like this where we can all support each other's club hoe-ing ways 😉

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

I guess from tour adoption, nothing is going to compete with the ProV1. 

But... Graphite shafts in drivers comes pretty close. They went from non-existent to 98% adoption in a very short time frame. I remember Tiger's first wins were with a 43" steel shaft. That extra 2-3" of controllable club has done as much as anything to add distance. 

Taylormade Spider putter. Honorable mention (yes, I did just get one). 

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

The switch to metal drivers was pretty significant, I can still hear Peter Allis saying “ he’s hitting a “metal wood” during telecasts. But after a short time they were all metal.

Oversized putter grips is another and that one wasn’t that long ago....there were a few guys adding Superstroke grips as an after market customization and then in a very short time it’s hard to find a putter sold without one.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

5 hours ago, TBT said:

Oversized putter grips is another and that one wasn’t that long ago....there were a few guys adding Superstroke grips as an after market customization and then in a very short time it’s hard to find a putter sold without one.

I remember when the fat Tiger Shark grips came out, and some of the guys at the club I caddied at got them.  It was so weird, and honestly a pain to handle the larger grip when double-bagging and trying to get two of them into two different overstuffed golf bags.  Lots of grip sticking issues with bags with those and the really tacky Winn grips. 

Driver: Taylormade Rocketballz 9* Stock. 3-Wood: Callaway Epic Sub-Zero, 15*. Hybrid: Sub70 949x Pro 19*. Irons: Taylormade rac LT 3-PW. Wedges: Vokey F-Grind 52*, 58*. Putter: Rife 2-Bar Blade Putter.  Pro V1

On 3/9/2021 at 10:21 AM, DiscipleofPenick said:

For example I was eating through the Shot Scope books the other day and found contradictory data, or at least thier conclusions.

You must have been HUNGRY!

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

You must have been HUNGRY!
I DEVOUR a ton of golf content this time of year. Mostly it's eating out of boredom waiting for the season to start.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim