What/How did you practice today?

21 hours ago, sirchunksalot said:

Went out to the range today as it's a beautiful 70+ degree day and hit two buckets of balls. First bucket went ok, but still felt like I had some things I needed to work on. Most notably, the shanks came to visit on my 50 yard shots. 

I brought out the Divot Board and hit some good shots.20210501_131325-01.jpeg.be9387c5b9866c0843d769f123f80bf5.jpeg

And some bad shots. 

20210501_131415-01.jpeg.b5d7707d9df32c19ff0392dbe4f5fb4f.jpeg20210501_131515-01.jpeg.707bb94969fc726809572742141c06e0.jpeg

I set up a gate drill for my irons trying to get contact closer to the center and was still hitting just slightly toward the heel, but better. Figured out my tempo was way too slow, I sped it up and was getting on my lead side on the follow through. 

What helped me figure that out was my driver swing. I started out hitting it decently, just a bit high and toward the heel. 20210501_135134-01-01.jpeg.cbd33c511ba490cb8fe29e265f1a05a0.jpeg

I then teed it up with a 2 3/4 inch tee, and something strange happened. 20210501_135650-01.jpeg.91d8afdc325620299c9c0bb5facc331f.jpeg

I don't know what sort of sorcery this is, it's uncharted territory. 

Came off the range feeling pretty good about my game, now I've just got to play. Called one course in the area and they can't take me off as a single until 4 tomorrow, the other course is packed all day. I wanted to get 18 in for the Grint tournament, but I don't think that'll happen. 

Glad your strikes are looking better. The divot board is an honest tool. Great work with the driver. I noticed similar after I worked no some nail drill stuff as I am usually very heel centric. Soon your tag should be SirPuresALot

• Like 3

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic Flash SZ with Tensei Orange Pro S (1" tipped) at 44.5"

2H: :callaway-small: Super Hybrid with Tensei Orange Pro Hyb 80 Stiff 

3H: :Sub70: 939X UST proforce V2 black F3 hybrid soft stepped XStiff UPRT setting 

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 1/4" long Unofficial Review

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)  (Backup 54*,60*: :ping-small:  S Tour KBS Tour Stiff 3* up)

Putter: :taylormade-small: Corza Ghost 35" ( Benched :odyssey-small: Toulon Las Vegas Stroke Lab  34") Soon to be testing TAIII Impact #2 Putter

Ball: :Snell:MTB-X

:Arccos:

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I went to the range today with the intention of working on one of the drills from the Strike Plan where you try to intentionally hit a toe shot and then a heel shot to develop feel for each in order t

Hard to think of a cheaper training aid than some foot spray... Worth every penny

I had to come home from work and do some touch up cleaning on my car because I found out today that my new lease is in and I am scheduled to pick it up tomorrow. I was hoping to get a full practice se

Posted Images

1 hour ago, rbsiedsc said:

Glad your strikes are looking better. The divot board is an honest tool. Great work with the driver. I noticed similar after I worked no some nail drill stuff as I am usually very heel centric. Soon your tag should be SirPuresALot

Thank you! The nail drill has been great, I think because it's helping to visualize and focus on a spot to hit. I'm usually not as focused standing over the ball, but right now I'm confident with driver in hand. I hit several bad drives yesterday and that didn't phase me. I've just got to work in path as I'm severely out to in and the Divot Board shows it. 

• Like 5

Playing tomorrow and wanted to grab some swings today while the big kid was at school. The GBox Shallower is paying dividends for my irons and I’m thrilled. I’m getting that feeling of keeping the club on plane into impact and through the ball. 

• Like 6
  • PING G400 LST 8.5 Evenflow Black 65g 6.5
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Ben Hogan PTx Combo Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • TaylorMade MG2 TW 56 & 60 Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5
  • TaylorMade TP5

Western, NY

5.7 Index

So, I had my first lesson in maybe 20 years on Saturday and was pleasantly surprised to hear that we wouldn't be starting from scratch. Instead, the pro told me we were going to work on sequencing, adding a bit of width to my swing and trying to get a better tempo in the swing.

The first thing we discussed with the Reverse K setup and setting a bit more tilt in my spine. I'm pretty neutral with it at first but we're working on just making that conscious shift.

Second, separating the left shoulder from the left hip, making a better upper body turn while quieting my lower body. I got a drill to take practice swings with the right foot directly behind my left and focusing of getting that big turn of the shoulders to where the left shoulder replaces the right. Going to hit the rang the week in the evening to work on it.

Lastly, the 3-1 tempo of the swing. I think I need to find the BPM of my swing rhythm, which is likely a touch on the quick side and then metronome it to quarter notes per measure or sixteeneth notes per beat to work on that tempo feel.

In all, productive first lesson, really looking forward to going back for the next one.

• Like 6

:mizuno-small: ST180, 10.5, Kuro Kage Silver TINI Dual Core 60-S 

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero, 15*, Kuro Kage Silver TINI Dual Core 60-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: CBX119 18* Hybrid, Projext X Evenflow Blue, 6.0

:ping-small: G710, 4-UW, Blue Dot, Nippon Modus 105-S

:honma: TW-W4, 56*, Nippon Modus 125

:mizuno-small: T20, 61*, Nippon Modus 125

🤮⛳   Flo-C

:titelist-small: Pro V1X, 2021 Model, #33

1 minute ago, Berg Ryman said:

So, I had my first lesson in maybe 20 years on Saturday and was pleasantly surprised to hear that we wouldn't be starting from scratch. Instead, the pro told me we were going to work on sequencing, adding a bit of width to my swing and trying to get a better tempo in the swing.

The first thing we discussed with the Reverse K setup and setting a bit more tilt in my spine. I'm pretty neutral with it at first but we're working on just making that conscious shift.

Second, separating the left shoulder from the left hip, making a better upper body turn while quieting my lower body. I got a drill to take practice swings with the right foot directly behind my left and focusing of getting that big turn of the shoulders to where the left shoulder replaces the right. Going to hit the rang the week in the evening to work on it.

Lastly, the 3-1 tempo of the swing. I think I need to find the BPM of my swing rhythm, which is likely a touch on the quick side and then metronome it to quarter notes per measure or sixteeneth notes per beat to work on that tempo feel.

In all, productive first lesson, really looking forward to going back for the next one.

Sounds really good!

I've never had a lesson and am considering one but am on the fence between 30 minutes and 1 hour. Any suggestions on what might be the most productive?

• Like 4

(D) G410 LST | (3) SpeedZone Big Tour | (5) TM Sim Max | (H) Titleist 818 H2 | (I) Z785 | (W) ZipCore | (P) Cleveland Premier HB 11

5 minutes ago, Berg Ryman said:

Berg...Check out the old Tour Tempo program...may help...

• Like 3
  • PING G400 LST 8.5 Evenflow Black 65g 6.5
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Ben Hogan PTx Combo Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • TaylorMade MG2 TW 56 & 60 Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5
  • TaylorMade TP5

Western, NY

5.7 Index

17 minutes ago, StrokerAce said:

Sounds really good!

I've never had a lesson and am considering one but am on the fence between 30 minutes and 1 hour. Any suggestions on what might be the most productive?

Well, mine was about 30-40 minutes, but I also bought a 6 pack of them during my local First Tee auction. I think it's more important to find someone you hit it off with. Luckily for me, Matt and I blended together pretty quickly and he knows his stuff and understands that with my job I don't have the time to go beat balls for 3-4 hours a day working on a change.

I think Stroker, you just need to determine what it is you want out of your lesson and make the play on time on that. If it's a tweak, 30-45 might be perfect, it's a change, you may want some more time.

14 minutes ago, bens197 said:

Berg...Check out the old Tour Tempo program...may help...

Investigating it for sure, will do.

• Like 5

:mizuno-small: ST180, 10.5, Kuro Kage Silver TINI Dual Core 60-S 

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero, 15*, Kuro Kage Silver TINI Dual Core 60-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: CBX119 18* Hybrid, Projext X Evenflow Blue, 6.0

:ping-small: G710, 4-UW, Blue Dot, Nippon Modus 105-S

:honma: TW-W4, 56*, Nippon Modus 125

:mizuno-small: T20, 61*, Nippon Modus 125

🤮⛳   Flo-C

:titelist-small: Pro V1X, 2021 Model, #33

Went to the range to work on my driver swing ahead of my fitting this coming weekend (and before work). Turns out they were mowing and it was closed (ugh).

Luckily short game area was open. Worked on pitches with the smart ball at varying distances from 20-45 yrds with GW/54/58 wedges.

Moved onto some chipping practice using PW-58 working on landing points for each.

Furthering my iron interest. chattered with the pro who used to game a split set of Z765/z565 to now a full ZX5 set. Dispersion was worse but for him everything was pin high and 5-7 yrds further than the ZX7. Something to think about.

• Like 6

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic Flash SZ with Tensei Orange Pro S (1" tipped) at 44.5"

3H: :Sub70: 939X UST proforce V2 black F3 hybrid soft stepped XStiff UPRT setting 

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 1/4" long Unofficial Review

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)  (Backup 54*,60*: :ping-small:  S Tour KBS Tour Stiff 3* up)

Putter: :taylormade-small: Corza Ghost 35" ( Benched :odyssey-small: Toulon Las Vegas Stroke Lab  34") Soon to be testing TAIII Impact #2 Putter

43 minutes ago, StrokerAce said:

Hard question to answer.  Are you looking for a single lesson or something more long term and what are your goals?  An instructor won’t make multiple radical change in one lesson.  If you just want a quick fix 30-40 minutes should be adequate.   I have a long term plan with my coach and a lesson could be 15 minutes or 2 hours depending on the topic and what we are trying to fix; same rate for either.  I would suggest a 30 minute swing evaluation with some quick tips and a plan for what the instructor would do over 3,4,6, or some duration of lessons.   

• Like 4

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  Bellum Winmore 787

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

The last lessons I had a few years back were 30 min with a series of 5 total lessons.

it worked for me because after 1/2 hour I was getting tired and enough to work on.  We kept the lessons 2 weeks apart.

Not for everyone but worked well for me.

• Like 6

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Titleist TSi2, Kuro Kage 50 gr R2

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous Vista Pro R2

Irons; Ping G710 6-GW, Recoil 460 R2

Putter; Waaay too many to list

More planemate. Focusing on takeaway. While I have improved I was noticing issues right at take away yesterday starting to far inside (less break of wrists though which is good), which in turn effected the rest of my swing. Happy with progress but not happy with progress.....Real conundrum 

• Like 6

Check out my reviews

:ping-small: G710 Irons Lacassem official review

WITB:

:taylormade-small: FlexTech is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos::

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X I :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green 

:taylormade-small: 2019 P790 4-PW - Project X 6.5 LZ I :titelist-small: 48 SM8 - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:titelist-small: 52, 56, 60 SM7 - Nippon Modus 125 S :odyssey-small: O-Works 1W I :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

🇺🇸Thank you to all those that have served/are serving and God Bless America 🇺🇸

swing feels atrocious right now. probably should not swing anymore today.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Current tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 4/27/2021
Driver:titelist-small: TSi 2 - Graphite Design AD-XC 6S
Hybrids:taylormade-small: SIM Max 3H, 4H - Matrix Ozik 85S
Irons:srixon-small: ZX5 5 - PW - Accra 95 icwt S
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX 2 54, CBX Full Face 58 - Nippon Modus 105 Wedge
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Two Ball Ten S Tour Lines - 31"

Like @Lacassem, I am working on takeaway as I have noticed I am coming too far inside. Plus, my left miss has been horrible lately so I am also trying to get a better feel of my hand path starting out down instead of going out. So I took my GoPro out to record video and it is amazing how there's such a difference between feel and real. Screenshot_20210503-190159_Rush.jpg.3469d77a358138267a87e1285c8f0c73.jpg

As you can see, I'm not quite aligned right to either my target line or the camera. Gotta work on that. Other than that, I can tell I'm still coming back inside, but I am pleased with how the club face looks to be similar to my spine angle. I also noticed my rotation in the swing itself needs a little better work, but I was tired after work and my left foot was sore today so I was being cautious. 

I need to bring the Planemate back out, but since I've restarted SuperSpeed, there's just not enough time after work to balance family time and two different golf practices. 

• Like 7

Today was the start of players irons testing at MGS.  It was 7 iron day for me and ball striking was the best I have had in a  long time.  Was reviewing my data and ball contact was actually centered on the face.  There were a few out toward the toe, but not as bad as I have been seeing lately.  Not sure what I did but I need to repeat whatever it is 🙂

• Like 6

Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

19 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Today was the start of players irons testing at MGS.  It was 7 iron day for me and ball striking was the best I have had in a  long time.  Was reviewing my data and ball contact was actually centered on the face.  There were a few out toward the toe, but not as bad as I have been seeing lately.  Not sure what I did but I need to repeat whatever it is 🙂

Sounds like a club-ho anonymous post is coming soon. 😂

in all seriousness I love when I have that ball stroking day that feels effortless. Hopefully you figure out the magic sauce. If you do, please share the recipe!

For my practice today I had an indoor planemate session between calls.  On course Sunday my swing with long clubs was a mess and looking at some of the videos I was coming inside and not using my hips. I guess I was feeling stiff.  I focused on the short pitch motions that use a lot of rotation. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

#COBRACONNECT CHALLENGE 4 ALUMNUS

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver 10.5 - Ventus Blue 6x | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8s | :cobra-small: Speedzone 4-Hybrid - KBS Proto 85s

:cobra-small: KING Forged Tec 5-GW - Nippon Modus 120x | :cobra-small: KING MIM Black 52.12C, 56.10V, 60.04W - Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope

39 minutes ago, cnosil said:

which ones felt the best for you?? good to hear you had a great swing day!

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, B.Boston said:

Sounds like a club-ho anonymous post is coming soon. 😂

in all seriousness I love when I have that ball stroking day that feels effortless. Hopefully you figure out the magic sauce. If you do, please share the recipe!

I don't think it was club related at all;  my swing was just working.  I even tried a Ping Blueprint that they had in the warmup bag and was striping it.    I was even impressed with a Cobra club;  which I almost never am as they don't seem to work well with my toe tendency.  

I hope I can figure it out; I will see if it continues to work tomorrow and Wednesday during my next sessions.   i don't want it to be "magic" sauce as that implies it is illusion and not real 🙂

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Ok, got my swing back thanks to Johnny Miller. Its a tip that I have seen in the past and it helps with my strike. Its not a swing change, just a swing thought and having awareness of your left shoulder and trying to return it to where it was at setup (not literally exact same position, but should be near or slightly ahead of where it was when you started). 

• Like 4

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Current tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 4/27/2021
Driver:titelist-small: TSi 2 - Graphite Design AD-XC 6S
Hybrids:taylormade-small: SIM Max 3H, 4H - Matrix Ozik 85S
Irons:srixon-small: ZX5 5 - PW - Accra 95 icwt S
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX 2 54, CBX Full Face 58 - Nippon Modus 105 Wedge
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Two Ball Ten S Tour Lines - 31"

1 minute ago, rbsiedsc said:

which ones felt the best for you?? good to hear you had a great swing day!

I was only day one of about 12 sessions; today was  Callaway DCB, Cobra King Tour, and Titleist 620 CB 7 irons.   My preference would be the Titleist followed by the Callaway.   I wasn't a huge fan of the impact sound from the Cobra.

• Like 5

In my fitting the fitter stopped and videod me to show me my swing. Stopped fitting me and started working in my swing a little. Found out I am creating no lag and my hips are in the way of a better swing path, never really took a video of my swing so I didn’t know this. We worked on some small things which helped me move my hips a little better, changed my club path a little(really far inside), and changed some feelings to help eliminate my push right. My swing speed with a smooth swing impressed him and he was shocked that my smash was a high as it was. Fixed some stuff and gained some distance on the hybrid we were fitting me for. Took so many swings working on things we skipped parts of the fitting I wanted to do, but he spent over an hour helping me fix things. I liked the way things felt and I gained a little distance by getting the club head on a better path. It’s a shame that it was over an hour away if it was closer I’d be getting lessons from there because he did more in a fitting than the one pro I went to and they were super nice to deal with.

• Like 7
  • Love 1