TSauer

Happy thread

Wife and I now have the same chromebooks so I had to do something to differentiate mine

MGS also included a patch that I need to figure out how to get on my bag! IMG_20171130_183408.jpgIMG_20171130_183416.jpg

• Like 5

I do agree with you on this. I have an instructor who is working with me to ensure the result you stated (square on impact). Two lessons is all it took for me to understand what and how to do it. My drives are now on target.

On the other hand my previous two instructors wanted me to start from scratch and tried to give me too many things to work on at once.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

good to hear Tony.Dont give up on his ideas and keep pursuing positive results.Im not quite there yet.But I think I'm heading in the right direction this time

Wife and I now have the same chromebooks so I had to do something to differentiate mine

MGS also included a patch that I need to figure out how to get on my bag! attachicon.gifIMG_20171130_183408.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_20171130_183416.jpg

We have a shoe repair business in town that has repaired golf bags for me in the past.  I'd check a store like that.

• Like 1

I do agree with you on this. I have an instructor who is working with me to ensure the result you stated (square on impact). Two lessons is all it took for me to understand what and how to do it. My drives are now on target.

On the other hand my previous two instructors wanted me to start from scratch and tried to give me too many things to work on at once.

... I can't tell you how many students I had that went thru the same thing. When I started teaching I was lucky enough to pick the brain of a legendary teacher in NC that nobody heard of because he taught recreational golfers. But the main statement that stuck with me is (reading in a thick southern accent) "When your teechun, give out in-fer-may-shun by the teaspoon not tha shuvul". He confirmed my theory that the best way to teach is helping most students improve what they are already doing, not build a new swing. A good instructor knows even the smallest change to someones grip seems like a huge change to them and often throws everything completely out of sync. If it is necessary to change someones grip, I tried to move their hands just barely every other lesson and give them a chance to get accustomed to what seems like a tiny change as an instructor but is monumental to the student. So changing as little as possible every lesson with maximum results should be the goal of every teacher. 

... Conventional teaching wisdom says you need to take three "new/good" swing for every one "old/bad" swing to change muscle memory. For someone that has been playing a good while, this is almost impossible. Sure there are students with the time and dedication but they are very rare. If a player has a weak casting, over the top move resulting in a big slice, my job was to get them to produce a less casting, less over the top move that resulting in a manageable fade. So a 190 yd drive that is inconsistent and fades 30 yds is turned into a 210-220 yd drive that finds the center more often and fades 10 yards. 

• Like 3

Finally ready to put away the leaf blower for the winter. In November it's a marathon getting all of the leaves (30+ BIG maples) out to the street. The neat thing is that our township has a big vacuum that comes by for leaf pickup - then the leaves and tree limbs get chipped/shredded into mulch. The mulch is free to the residents

• Like 3

SWMBO and I went to a Christmas Party last night for a club she belongs to dragging me kicking and screaming behind. It's actually not bad all moneys raised go to Honor Flight where we help defray the costs. They also do a couple of special events for the area schools for clothes & supplies.

Anyway my wife was talking to a couple ladies and I wasn't (as usual) paying much attention then one woman left early. My wife asked me how old did I think the woman was I replied dunno maybe 70? Noooo, she's 81, works as a Cast Member @ Disney World and she left early because she was meeting her boyfriend at a bar/restaurant that has live entertainment every night and she was going dancing

Man she's my Hero

SWMBO says she's a great person with tons of energy!!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 4

Yeah I know a women like that - she's 85 and we have a tough time keeping up with her, she has boundless energy

• Like 2

Reading some of the swing speed + average driver distances in the beta sign up thread makes me laugh and shake my head

• Like 5

Reading some of the swing speed + average driver distances in the beta sign up thread makes me laugh and shake my head

Whatever do you mean

• Like 1

I don't use a driver so I am gonna be having a hard time sign up for the beta lol

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 2

I don't use a driver so I am gonna be having a hard time sign up for the beta lol

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Only very few of us play at sea level.  Most people play at altitude and always hit with the wind.   :D

• Like 2

Only very few of us play at sea level. Most people play at altitude and always hit with the wind.

"Always hitting with the wind" I assume to be a funny . It would be a pretty unusual course. While our prevailing winds are westerly on any week you'd find days where the wind is anywhere on the compass rose.

"Always hitting with the wind" I assume to be a funny . It would be a pretty unusual course. While our prevailing winds are westerly on any week you'd find days where the wind is anywhere on the compass rose.

Yep,  went back and added a smiley to the original post 

• Like 1

Holes #5-6 at my course are both par 5's, parallel to each other, one is 590y.  I know for a fact that I have hit into the wind on both holes, and I do not remember ever having a tailwind on both holes.

... This reminds me of Johnny Miller describing Craig Parry's swing that was more than good enough to win a tournament: Parry has a swing that would make Ben Hogan "puke" even as Parry was in the process of winning the Ford Championship with his dramatic eagle on the first playoff hole Sunday. I kinda miss old school players like Floyd, Palmer, Rodriguez and Trevino that had amazing different swings that were "flawed" but good enough to beat the best players in the world.

I have a friend who's an instructor. He's also a curmudgeon. He thinks only perfect swings will stand the test of time.

When Spieth was a rookie, he and I were talking one day and I said. Looks like this kid is going to be pretty good. He hadn't won yet, but lots of Top 10s.

He shrugged and said. His swing will never hold up especially on Sundays. LOL!!

When I remind him of that conversation now days. Ha shrugs it off, like has one three Majors by accident. Ha

• Like 3

In fairness to your friend, Spieth has had some spectacular meltdowns on Sunday. Even this recent Open, he tried to give it away.

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

I have a friend who's an instructor. He's also a curmudgeon. He thinks only perfect swings will stand the test of time.

When Spieth was a rookie, he and I were talking one day and I said. Looks like this kid is going to be pretty good. He hadn't won yet, but lots of Top 10s.

He shrugged and said. His swing will never hold up especially on Sundays. LOL!!

When I remind him of that conversation now days. Ha shrugs it off, like has one three Majors by accident. Ha

... LOL, lots of Chamblee wannabe's out there. Repeatable swings stand the test of time. There are a plethora of reasons someone may not have a perfect swing from injury to personal idiosyncrasy. In his prime Lee Trevino was considered a legendary ball striker with his "severely flawed swing". Today he would be picked apart by "experts". Imo the best swings are those that are natural and instinctive but most importantly ... repeatable. 

• Like 5