GolfSpy MPR

How much change in your bag this season?

Finding what works (see thread for scoring rules)  

845 members have voted

1. 1. How many points do you get for keeping your bag consistent this season?

• 0-4: I change clubs more often than socks.
    • 5-8: Every piece of equipment is always on notice.
    • 9-12: Liking gear is part of liking golf.
    • 13-16: Steady-ish.
    • 17-20: I've found what works for me

15 clubs

Driver? Nope

3w? Yep

5w? Yep

Hybrid? Yep

Irons? Nope

Wedges? Yep, all 3

Putter? Yep

Bag? Yep

Gloves? Lord no! I sweat through 5 a round in LA!

Balls? Nope

Shoes? Yep, didn’t buy a new pair all year!

Laser? Nope.

What’s that? 9 points?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Nope= changed

Yep= same

• Like 1

On 8/22/2019 at 6:02 AM, GolfSpy MPR said:

The leaves are just begun to show a hint of color here in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. We're down to our last couple months of the season. Sniffle.

So it's time for the annual assessment: how much did you bag setup change since the beginning of the year? Let's score this out of 20:

• 14 clubs
  • Bag
  • Ball
  • Distance device
  • Glove
  • Shoes
  • Wildcard

Since it's my thread, I'll propose the rules. To get a point for a club, it had to be in your bag from the first round of the year and still be in your bag now. Balls and gloves are (obviously) not required to be the exact same, but they need to be the same brand/model. I suppose if your ball is "whatever I find," and you're still playing whatever you find, you get that point.

For shoes, you get the point if you're wearing shoes that were in your collection at the beginning of the season. Any new pair of shoes loses the point.

The wildcard covers the rest of the golf accessories, and is up to your judgment. Did you add a new pushcart? You probably lose that point.

So for me:

• FW: dropped my Callaway X2Hot Pro 4w for a TaylorMade M4 3HL
  • Hybrid: will be dropping my Callaway XR Pro 20° for an Adams XTD Ti 20° when it is delivered
  • SW and LW: a Callaway MD3 and PM Grind replaced by Cleveland RTX-3 CBs
  • Putter: Evnroll Tour Stroke Trainer replaced by an Odyssey EXO Indianapolis S
  • Ball: Finishing up my Q Star Tours, but bought a nice supply of Z Star XVs. I'll keep the point for now.
  • Distance device: added my Precision Pro NX9 HD from MGS testing!

The theme of my club substitutions is continuing to add forgiveness to my bag. Dumping the "Pro" edition FW and hybrid and picking up the cavity-backed wedges are ways of admitting that I need help, and being increasingly unashamed of that.

So if I'm right, I think I'm getting 14/20 points.

How about the rest of you?

Not sure I quite understand but I'll give it a go:

• Driver: Replaced thanks to MGS testing. I'm also changing shafts with an Acccra TZ6 on the way (does that count as 2?)
  • Putter: Swapped my ER2 for a Spider X
  • Shoes: Bought 2 more pairs, but still rotate my old kicks. Hard for me to keep track of this though because we don't have an "offseason" in Hawaii.
  • Ball: Switched from TP5x to ProV1x
  • Glove: Switched from MG to the Kirkland gloves. I'm not really picky about gloves as long as they're not too thick.
  • Wildcard: Docking myself another 1 point because I'm really close to switching to 919 Forged 5-PW, and adding either a 4hybrid or something like a U510/G410 22/23* Utility/Crossover or even a hybrid.

Guess that gives me a 14/20?

edit: forgot about the glove change

• Like 2

All 14 clubs I ended last year with are still in the bag. No changes, so 14 points there. (If I had decided on which CBX wedge, it'd be 13 points).

Bag is still the same W/S stand bag the past few years. 1 point.

Still playing the Q-Star Tour as my primary ball, with the B330-RX and Duo as backups/cold weather balls. 1 point.

I did add the NX9 for MGS testing, so -1 point there (unfair!!!)

Glove & shoes are still the same, I have 3 gloves I rotate through and still wearing the same Nikes. 2 points.

Wildcard? Uhhh... I still have the same ball retriever and same type of tees I've been using? 1 point.

19 points. BOOM.

giphy.gif

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Clubs: 11/14 (have played with swapping D with old 3W, new putter, experimenting with Mizuno GW vs Bridgestone)

Bag: 1/1

Ball: 0/1 (switched to Z-Star mid-season)

Distance device: 1/1 (will change if/when Arccos arrives from #CCC3 to compare with ShotScope)

Glove: 0/1 (I generally buy a few when there are sales, usually, but not always FootJoy)

Shoes: 1/1

Wildcard: 1/1 (awarded this to myself for my general propensity to not change things)

Total: 15/20

• Like 1

Giving myself a -1 because I am currently testing the RTX4's for MGS but wouldnt have changed wedges otherwise, other than that, I have everything the same as the first round. I finally got fitted last year and think I found my bag!

• Like 3

Driver: Callaway Rogue > Cobra F9 Speedback > Ping G410 Plus. -2

FW: Callaway Rogue > Cobra F9 Speedback 3/4 FW > Ping G410 3W thanks to MGS and Ping (read about it here: https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/32205-2019-official-forum-member-review-ping-long-game-gapping-testingreview/) -3

Hybrid: Ping G400 3H > Ping G410 2H and G410 4 Crossover (see my guerilla marketing link above 😉) -3

Irons: Epon AF-505...no change here

Wedges: Cleveland RTX 4s, but I swapped shafts. -1

Putter: PXG Bat Attack > PXG Gen2 Bat Attack -1 

Ball: Snell MTB Black > Pro V1x -1

Gloves: Ping Tour or Sport thanks to Ping hooking ya boy up! 

Shoes: Adidas Tour360 Boost 2.0 alllllll day. Until I can find some XTs on sale!

Accessories: Replaced my Leupold GX-5i3 with a Bushnell Pro XE. -1 

Total: 8/20 🙄

Edit: Updated to account for some shaft upgrades! 

• Like 2

11/20

Clubs: -7 (Upgraded driver, irons [6-PW] and putter)

Ball: -1 (Started using urethane balls instead of 2 piece Wilson Staff balls)

Distance Device: -1 (Shotscope V2 over NX 7 Pro)

Woods, hybrids, wedges, bag, gloves, shoes and accessories are the same.  To be fair I did get a new ball marker with some balls I ordered, but didn't think that was worth taking off a point.  My bag had been pretty much the same since I started playing 2 years ago, so I don't expect anymore drastic changes for a long time, unless I get a good deal on an F9 hybrid.

I actually voted before I read the rules but looks like I voted correctly regardless. 

44 minutes ago, mr.hicksta said:

This won't be nearly as bad as previous years 😂

Bag: Vessel Player stand bag to Vessel 2.0 Player stand bag due to a tear in the original one. Doesn't count 😜

Driver: Callaway Rogue > Cobra F9 Speedback > Ping G410 Plus. 

FW: Callaway Rogue > Cobra F9 Speedback 3/4 FW > Ping G410 3W thanks to MGS and Ping (read about it here: https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/32205-2019-official-forum-member-review-ping-long-game-gapping-testingreview/)

Hybrid: Ping G400 3H > Ping G410 2H and G410 4 Crossover (see my guerilla marketing link above 😉)

Irons: Epon AF-505...no change here

Wedges: Cleveland RTX 4s....no change here

Putter: PXG Bat Attack > PXG Gen2 Bat Attack

Ball: Snell MTB Black > Pro V1x

Gloves: Ping Tour or Sport thanks to Ping hooking ya boy up! 

Shoes: Adidas Tour360 Boost 2.0 alllllll day. Until I can find some XTs on sale!

Accessories: Scooped up custom Epoch tees (💪🏽 and 💯) and replaced my Leupold GX-5i3 with a Bushnell Pro XE. 

If my math is correct, that puts me at 13ish, which is the range I voted in!

-1 for each shaft change...

Mr.Hicksta scores a -3/20

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

The only bad aspect of the scoring is that you take a big hit if you change irons, that is roughly a 6 point hit. I don’t change clubs often but the poll category makes it seem like I change all the time.

• Like 1

Oh boy...

14 Clubs 

• Driver is new thanks to MGS testing. Changed shaft in it, too, twice. -2
  • 3W I purchased yesterday. -1
  • 19 degree hybrid, bought and sold this season. -1
  • 4-GW are still the same model, but when I did a warranty replacement I changed shafts. So half point from each club. -4
  • 54 degree is same head, but changed shaft and grip. -0.5
  • 60 degree - same!
  • Putter - same!

Bag - Same, although it will be replaced before next season. 

Ball - I purposely started the season testing four different urethane balls and settled on the MTB Black for about two months. That is until I hit the MTB-X and loved it. -1

Distance device - Purchased GAME Golf Live on eBay to go alongside my laser I got for Christmas. -1

Glove - Same.

Shoes - Same, although they will be replaced before next season.

Wildcard - Replaced my cart, as the old one was held together by duct tape. Also replaced my ball marker and bought a Check-Go Pro and Eyeline Impact Liner for my balls. -1

-11.5 Total - 8.5/20 (Truthfully, I should subtract more since the shoes and bag are for sure gone before next season starts.)

Playing 42 rounds (9/18/scrambles) so far this season after playing no where near that in my life previously and cutting my handicap from 20+ to 12ish? Priceless!

• Like 6

Posted (edited)

Do I  lose if I haven't changed anything for the last 6 years?😁

...oops.... I changed the putter to an ER2 two years ago.

Edited by silver & black
  • Like 3

New (to me) 4-P, new 56°, new 2i. So 9/14 new clubs. That’s a lot when I think about it, and they’ve all been in the last month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow - cool thread - the math is a bit complex for me but I will try:

My signature still contains my starting point - (edit - this is no longer true)

I have not changed ball - why in the world would I?  Likewise with gloves (I've been through any number but always use whatever is on sale so that remains the same), shoes are the same - I have three pair that I alternate - the oldest pair will be replaced at the end of the season and the same pattern continues.  Bag, same, etc.

So it's down to clubs -

Bottom of the bag through six iron remains the same (other than a wedge coming out.)  Tour exotics 3 wood came out for the long game gapping test but is back in (I'm not counting that period on the bench as it took one for the MGS team)

So I've added 4 clubs - G 410 Driver, G 410 9-5 woods

Taken out G 400 LST Driver, SLDR 4,5 hybrids, SCOR 56

Put SCOR 58 in to replace the 56,60 - I have a SCOR or Hogan for every degree from 50 to 61 with the exception of 57 and 59. 🙂 

I guess you could subtract one more point for adding the Shot Scope watch - I didn't exactly take my range finder out but I rarely use it due to that addition so I'm calling it 15/20.  Pretty stable season thus far.  Irons are on the edge - seriously considering Sub 70's or Mizuno Hot metals.  We shall see what the future brings. 

No color in the leaves here BTW - that's a late December thing for us and then it's only the slightest of hints (yes it really does happen in Florida.)

• Like 2

19 hours ago, edingc said:

Oh boy...

14 Clubs 

• Driver is new thanks to MGS testing. Changed shaft in it, too, twice. -2
  • 3W I purchased yesterday. -1
  • 19 degree hybrid, bought and sold this season. -1
  • 4-GW are still the same model, but when I did a warranty replacement I changed shafts. So half point from each club. -4
  • 54 degree is same head, but changed shaft and grip. -0.5
  • 60 degree - same!
  • Putter - same!

Bag - Same, although it will be replaced before next season. 

Ball - I purposely started the season testing four different urethane balls and settled on the MTB Black for about two months. That is until I hit the MTB-X and loved it. -1

Distance device - Purchased GAME Golf Live on eBay to go alongside my laser I got for Christmas. -1

Glove - Same.

Shoes - Same, although they will be replaced before next season.

Wildcard - Replaced my cart, as the old one was held together by duct tape. Also replaced my ball marker and bought a Check-Go Pro and Eyeline Impact Liner for my balls. -1

-11.5 Total - 8.5/20 (Truthfully, I should subtract more since the shoes and bag are for sure gone before next season starts.)

Playing 42 rounds (9/18/scrambles) so far this season after playing no where near that in my life previously and cutting my handicap from 20+ to 12ish? Priceless!

Should be +25 because you broke 80 with all but the 3W!!

• Like 1

You will need someone with the mathematic abilities of Albert Einstein to figure me out. And that is just the front line bag. Only 3 clubs have made it from the first of the year Driver 4 wood and hybrid. Not even the bag itself has made it. My wife says I change bags like women change pocketbooks----  Classics and the vintage stuff you do not want to attempt to go there with me. I have kept the range finder (Precision Pro) that I tested for MGS way back when. Another consistent for me is I do play the same cheap Wilson gloves I purchase at Wally Mart. 

16 points as noting major changed

I hold 12 clubs in the bag for playing at this time

Irons, only change was replacing an iron that somehow went disappearing from the bag, replaced with same club.

No changes on driver, 3 wood, wedges or putter.

(will replace Driver for a Ping 410 as son as budget allows)

Ball, same company but a newer version, Bridgestone e6 soft to e12 soft

Glove, went through a replacement of same gloves two times this year.

Shoes, will replace end of the year with same brand.

• Like 1

• Clubs (11)
    • Same irons, FW, hybrids, and putter.  (11)
    • New driver PXG Gen2 0811X (-1)
    • Currently doing Cleveland RTX 4 wedges
      • Things are looking good!
  • Bag (0)
    • Ping Pioneer
  • Ball (.5)
    • I've always used Z-Star, but I keep messing with the XV, so I'm going to say .5
  • Distance device (1)
    • Still Nikon Coolshot
  • Glove (1)
    • Under Armour Cool Switch 
  • Shoes (0)
    • Skechers GO Golf Pro
  • Wildcard (1)
    • Same tees, divot tool, marker
  • Like 2

Somebody help me with the math here....

New bag, irons, hybrids, 2 new 3 woods, 2 wedges, 2 putters. Changed brand of balls twice. 2 new pairs of shoes. The only club still in my bag from last year is my driver.

As I write this, I'm shaking my head at how ridiculous it must read to most of you. In my defense each change I made was for the better ( not sure about the golf balls though), and my game has improved.

• Like 2

I'm a little foggy on the math too which likely means I'm not too swift BUT I changed golf balls and swapped my i500 9 and W for Blueprint's. Everything else is the same which gives me a score of "hard to believe that's all I changed." Great thread - I would have responded earlier but I had great hopes of conquering the math...oh well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1