Our Sponsors

For most players, I believe being fit for clubs is overrated, and may even be counterproductive. The following is my reasoning.

When a fitting client strikes balls the fitter is typically watching the ball flight and then making equipment adjustments to

correct and, or, improve ball flight trajectory, accuracy etc....After the fitting, the player is provided with recommended  club specifications which promote his swing faults.

I understand the majority of players do not have the time or inclination to learn fundamentally sound swing technique, but an equipment fitting using swing faults is ingraining same and likely harming the players chances for ever improving his swing technique.

So, the above is about dynamic fitting, which I question.

However, I do believe there is merit to static fitting, which provides club specifications based on a persons height, wrist-to-floor measurements. 

In summary, I think static fitting may promote fundamentally sound address position and swing while dynamic fitting

may promote swing faults.

Please reply to this thread with your thoughts, thanks.

Driver Mizuno JPX-EZ GD Tour AD-DI

Fairways Mizuno JPX-EZ 3 and 5 metals GD Tour AD-DJ

Iron set Mizuno MP 63 3-PW DG S300

Wedges Mizuno MP-T5 52* and 58* DG wedge shaft

Putter Byron Morgan DH89

In my opinion, the statement is based on a faulty premise of fittings helping to promote swing faults. They don't. They look at swing speed, club direction, angle of attack, etc to provide shafts and heads that provide the best performance for that golfers particular swing.

I don't see how something that provides immediate return can be overrated.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 5

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:wilson_staff_small:  D7 R flex 
:callaway-small:  GBB 3W (lofted to 4W)
:callaway-small: V-Series Heavenwood
:cobra-small: Baffler XL 5i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54*
:cleveland-small:  Smart Sole S
:cleveland-small: #10

Twitter: @russtopherb

Static fittings make no sense. The point of impact isn't at my address position.

• Like 2

In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 Stand Bag

:ping-small: G410 LST 9* Tour AD BB 6X
:ping-small: G410 LST 14.5* Tour AD DI 7X
:titelist-small: 818 H2 20* Tour AD DI 85X
:mizuno-small: MP20 HMB 4 Tour AD 95X
:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Tour 5-PW Oban CT 115 X(-)
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 49F - 54S - 59D
Putter ?????
:bridgestone-small: Tour B X

SuperSpeed Forum Tester
Initial Driver Speed on Provided Monitor: 109 MPH

Fitting is not overrated. Here is an example using 2 players from this forum on why dynamic fitting is important.

Ole gray went to club champion was fit into a G400 max with a fujikura vista pro 65 gram stiff shaft. I think his swing speed is in the 80s. The weight and stiffness is based on his aggressive transition

I went to club champion and was fit into a G400 with vista pro 55 stiff shaft. My swing speed is in the 100-105+ range. I am a smooth transition type player.

I would never have expect OG to be in a shaft that was the same stiffness and heavier than one I was fitted into.

I am sure if we made dramatic changes to our swing we may need a different shaft, but in general swing fixes would not significantly impact our shaft needs.

We could carry this into shaft drop, angle of impact, strike efficiency and other non static type things but static fitting doesn't provide much value to a fitting.

• Like 7

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* with UST Proforce V2
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Ten S      Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Topline, have you ever had a fitting?

• Like 2

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:wilson_staff_small:  D7 R flex 
:callaway-small:  GBB 3W (lofted to 4W)
:callaway-small: V-Series Heavenwood
:cobra-small: Baffler XL 5i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54*
:cleveland-small:  Smart Sole S
:cleveland-small: #10

Twitter: @russtopherb

Interesting -

Do as you please but I know that a players swing characteristics stay steady barring lessons and hard, hard work. The idea is to swing consistently even if there's a so called fault, consistent swing, equipment that fits equals better results.

But we've also beat this topic to death. You could read through any number of threads on it just from the past few months.

• Like 5

Ping G410 - set at 12 degrees, fade setting - Fujikura Motore X R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood

G30 6-PW -  Aerotech FT 500 shafts

SCOR 48,52,56,60

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

I hear you, but I've also observed some players regress after a fitting.

For example, two players I know (both skilled ball strikers, routinely hitting lots of fairways and greens, shooting par scores etc...) came out of their respective fittings with recommendations to use lighter weight shafts. I think the reason for the recommendation was that both of their swing speed ball speed, launch angle etc... computer numbers improved with the testing of lighter shafts.

However, on the golf course I noticed that the tempo of their swings (and shot making) was adversely affected by the lighter weight shafts.

So, I question the merits of using electronic measuring devices to determine ideal club specifications. I am not "anti technology", but I do wonder if

popular devices such as TrackMan don't sometimes actually do a player more harm than good.

What you are saying here is a completely different thing. You question now is more about players chasing optimal numbers based on a launch monitor versus actual course performance. In my opinion performance while playing golf is way more important than what numbers on a launch monitor show.

• Like 2

Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Ten S      Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

It sounds like you fit yourself into a driver and shaft combination that works for you. Other than the absence of a launch monitor, how is that any different from what goes on in a fitting?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Driver: :taylormade-small: SIM Max 10.5 Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S

3w/5w: :callaway-small: XR16 Fujikura Speeder Evo 565 S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX 4 50.10 | 54.10 | 58.09 Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER5 BGT Stability Tour

Ball: :taylormade-small:TP5

I think fitting helps, if it is done right. I believe the static fit is a good place to start, and then make adjustments. Also, I want to be fit outside. i want to see the ball flight. I'm not sure a fitting as detailed as Club Champion does is required as long as the fitter knows you and your swing. The fitter I use is very good, and will not try to sell me a club if there is not a significant difference.

• Like 1

I think overall fittings are important. The good fitters can use both data and what they see in bit ball flight as well as how the player swings and delivers the club to find a head/shaft combo that will help reduce the big miss by the golfer while not affecting the shits when the golfer makes good contact/swings.

Fittings can be mental for some and when the golfer ends up with something different than they expected to be fit too it affects them with confidence.

Driver: Titleist 917D3 9.5 with Graphite Design MAD Pro 65g S

Wood: Titleist 917F2 with UST Mamiya Helium 5F4

Hybrid: Titleist 816H1 21 with Atmos Blue 85 S

Irons: Titleist 718 AP3 4i, 718 CB 5-6, MB 7-9 with KBS $ Taper 125

Wedges: Vokey SM7 46/50/54/60 with DG s200

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Fitting is not overrated. Here is an example using 2 players from this forum on why dynamic fitting is important.

Ole gray went to club champion was fit into a G400 max with a fujikura vista pro 65 gram stiff shaft. I think his swing speed is in the 80s. The weight and stiffness is based on his aggressive transition

I went to club champion and was fit into a G400 with vista pro 55 stiff shaft. My swing speed is in the 100-105+ range. I am a smooth transition type player.

I would never have expect OG to be in a shaft that was the same stiffness and heavier than one I was fitted into.

I am sure if we made dramatic changes to our swing we may need a different shaft, but in general swing fixes would not significantly impact our shaft needs.

We could carry this into shaft drop, angle of impact, strike efficiency and other non static type things but static fitting doesn't provide much value to a fitting.

I'll add myself as a third who also went to club champion and was fitted into a X flex. While I currently play that flex in my irons I did not think it was correct until after I went there

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

I think overall fittings are important. The good fitters can use both data and what they see in bit ball flight as well as how the player swings and delivers the club to find a head/shaft combo that will help reduce the big miss by the golfer while not affecting the shits when the golfer makes good contact/swings.

Fittings can be mental for some and when the golfer ends up with something different than they expected to be fit too it affects them with confidence.

:blink: ^^^^^^^^

The fitting for my driver which was recently accomplished at Club Champion has dramatically changed my tee game. Both in distance and in accuracy.  Now that I have confidence in the club I was fit in, I am making a better and more fluid pass through the ball.  I don't know what my club head speed is on the golf course however it's obviously much better than the numbers we saw in the fitting stall. I'm hitting tee shots that totally blow myself and playing partners away.  I am now a true believer in a good fitting. 

The fitter had me swing five different drivers with multiple shafts in each head. When finished the optimum combo provided me with astonishing results. I was blown away.  Yea I believe in fittings and this was my first ever but you can bet ya best breeding bull, I ain't never buying another driver without getting fit.  The proof is in the pudding. 

It's kind of like harnessing up two plowing mules. If a mule is not properly fitted to the harness, he will ultimately pull too much to either side of the row. The mule with the proper fit will plow you a row straighter than the latest John Deere. Nuff said  ;)

• Like 5

Callaway  Epic Flash 10.5 Driver
Callaway  XR16 4- Wood
Callaway Steelhead 3 Hybrid
Tommy Armour 845 MAX 5 - GW Irons
Cleveland CBX 2 54 Degree SW
Tommy Armour Over N Out 58 Degree Lob
Wilson Harmonized Chipper 32 Degrees
Ping  Sigma G Tyne Putter OR Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide

The biggest weakness of the fitting process is that I don't hit clubs off a carpet when I play golf. Club to turf interaction and feel is a big part of your success in ball striking and hitting off a carpet doesn't feel remotely close to taking a divot. A thorough fairway club fitting IMO would involve having a club or two built to your specs that you can take to the range or the course to hit so you can see actual ball flight and feel and see how the club works for you in real world conditions. Launch monitors have their place as a starting point but relying on them completely for your fitting process leaves some huge variables in play.

I went to a “top 100” fitter for an iron fitting last year. Instead of the top 100 guy I got the JV squad or fitter in training. I wasn't pleased during the fitting but figured he knew better than I so I made the purchase. Traded the clubs in for an off the rack set 2 months later and game went right back to normal.

The other day I was playing as a single and caught the twosome in front of me. Turns out one of them I played a scramble with last year. They picked me for the team because I could drive it around 220. That made me the bomber on the team. I know right....we didn't win.

Anyway, I have a new driver that gets me to 240 or so. The dude tells me he went to the same fitter, actually got the top 100 guy, and was blowing the ball by me.

So does fitting matter? If done so properly then absolutely. If done poorly it leaves a really bad taste in the mouth and a general distrust of the process.

I would never recommend the fitter I went to until I saw this guy hit his driver. But even then you need to make sure you get the right guy.

Confusing? It is for guys like me that have average knowledge about the process.

• Like 1

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-G

:cleveland-small: - CBX 52 and 56

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

The biggest weakness of the fitting process is that I don't hit clubs off a carpet when I play golf. Club to turf interaction and feel is a big part of your success in ball striking and hitting off a carpet doesn't feel remotely close to taking a divot. A thorough fairway club fitting IMO would involve having a club or two built to your specs that you can take to the range or the course to hit so you can see actual ball flight and feel and see how the club works for you in real world conditions. Launch monitors have their place as a starting point but relying on them completely for your fitting process leaves some huge variables in play.

While I agree that we don't play off carpet on the course a fitting off carpet indoors or a mat provides the perfect lie every time and you have a clean club face on everyshot so there are no outside factors affecting contact

Driver: Titleist 917D3 9.5 with Graphite Design MAD Pro 65g S

Wood: Titleist 917F2 with UST Mamiya Helium 5F4

Hybrid: Titleist 816H1 21 with Atmos Blue 85 S

Irons: Titleist 718 AP3 4i, 718 CB 5-6, MB 7-9 with KBS $ Taper 125

Wedges: Vokey SM7 46/50/54/60 with DG s200

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

We have debated this topic in numerous threads. The pro get fit people can give you 100 reasons why you should. The anti fitters can give 100 reasons not too. Then you get to the indoor vs outdoor arguments. Trackman vs other monitor. Will never be settled. Yes, fitting experiences will be different based on the quality of the fitter. Some will be good and some will be bad.

This is just like everything else in the universe. In the end it is up to you to do what you think is best for your game.

• Like 3

I can't add anything to this discussion that hasn't been said or discussed ad nauseum. I believe in fitting, was willing to pay for it, and it worked beautifully for me. I'll do it again too. And yes... my game improved. Harumph!

If you think fitting is a good thing and helps your game. By all means - go for it. If you think fitting is unnecessary; fine. Have a nice day.

• Like 4

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Last week I went for a driver fitting as an anniversary gift from my lovely wife.

Once warm, I took ten swings with my Titleist 913D3 which has held a solid spot in my bag since 2014. I absolutely destroy this driver.

Guess what? The data revealed an average launch angle of 18 degrees and 3400 RPM. Average carry, 265 total 280.

G400 LST. 11 degree launch angle, 2100 RPM. Average carry, 288 total 302.

Embrace the science.

• Like 6
  • Love 1
  • PING G400 LST 8.5 Evenflow Black 65g 6.5
  • PING G 3W HZRDUS Yellow 75g 6.0
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Ben Hogan PTx Combo Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Maltby TSW 52, 58 Nippon Modus Wedge
  • Bettinardi BB8 Wide
  • Oncore Elixr

Rochester, NY

5.6 Index

For most players, I believe being fit for clubs is overrated, and may even be counterproductive. The following is my reasoning.

When a fitting client strikes balls the fitter is typically watching the ball flight and then making equipment adjustments to

correct and, or, improve ball flight trajectory, accuracy etc....After the fitting, the player is provided with recommended club specifications which promote his swing faults.

I understand the majority of players do not have the time or inclination to learn fundamentally sound swing technique, but an equipment fitting using swing faults is ingraining same and likely harming the players chances for ever improving his swing technique.

So, the above is about dynamic fitting, which I question.

However, I do believe there is merit to static fitting, which provides club specifications based on a persons height, wrist-to-floor measurements.

In summary, I think static fitting may promote fundamentally sound address position and swing while dynamic fitting

may promote swing faults.

Please reply to this thread with your thoughts, thanks.

Only read the title. But I can fully answer No!!!

• Like 3

:titelist-small: TS1 Fubuki 45g R Flex

:ping-small:  G410 FW 5, 7 Alta CB R flex 

:ping-small: G410 Hybrid 26 degree Alta CB R Flex

:titelist-small: T100S/T200 Combo 5-7 T100S 8-P T200 TT Black Oynx R Flex

:titelist-small: SM7 54.08 F 58.12 K 

:scotty-small:  Phantom 5.5   35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

• 2 years later...

I agree with Topline on this. I work as a club professional, but I am only teaching and not doing club fitting myself. I recently had a client who is about 5 inches shorter than average and has quite long arms in relation to his body size. He was somehow fitted for standard length clubs 2 degrees upright, which doesn't make any sense. He couldn't get into a comfortable setup. I guess he got fitted for these due to him swinging somewhat over the top and delivering the shaft steep. 

I am myself also shorter than average and I have never really felt that I have the correct length and lie on my clubs. I have competed on national level with some success and have obviously been fitted for new clubs at several occasions by various club fitters, but not once have my height or my wrist to floor distance been measured to determine the true length/lie combination. For me, this seems like the obvious starting point.