GolfSpy MPR

2020 Official Member Review: Sub 70 699 Pro irons

Our Sponsors

Arccos incorporates elevation and weather data if you're using the Caddie system. That's the part active during the round, that suggests clubs, etc. (It isn't something I've used.)

As for the data itself, both GG and Arccos have algorithms designed to remove outlier shots. So for me, I often (too often) use my 5 iron to punch out from under trees. If everything is working properly, Arccos recognizes that an 80-yard 5 iron isn't a proper shot, and that isn't included in its summary of how I hit my 5 iron.

What I don't know (though I'm skeptical) is whether Arccos adjusts actual shots based on elevation in its stats. So for instance, when you hit your 9-iron 125 because of the elevation, Arccos likely still believes that that was a 125-yard 9 iron; it's not normalizing it out to 140.

My hunch on the data is that, with a large enough sample size, the numbers work themselves out. You have enough level, uphill, and downhill 9-irons that the overall numbers are accurate enough.

• Like 4

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero, 9°, Aldila Rogue White 70 X
:taylormade-small: M4 3HL 16.5°, Atmos Red 60
:cobra-small: F6 5-6W, 19.5°, Fujikura Motore 6.3
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX 20°, Project X HZRDUS 85 5.5
Currently testing: :Sub70: 699 Pro, Modus3 105, 5–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:cleveland-small: RTX-3 CB 54° and 60°
:odyssey-small: Stroke Lab EXO Seven Mini, 34"
:srixon-small: Z-Star XV

Ok, thanks for the information. 

• Like 2

Driver, Ping G400 11* SR Flex

3 Wood, TaylorMade SLDR 17*  R Flex

5 Wood, TaylorMade SLDR 19* R Flex

Hybrid, Cobra Amp 24* R Flex

Irons, Sub 70 699 Pro's S Flex (5 - AW)

Wedges, Cleveland CBX 56* & 60*

Putter, Odyssey Marksman Fang 35"

On ‎7‎/‎24‎/‎2020 at 4:24 PM, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Well, I still can't wipe the smile off my face from being selected as a tester. What an awesome opportunity. I live up to my user name but luckily for me my wife doesn't mind. I think there is more pressure doing this testing than going in the store and buying off the rack. I have always been a standard fit so it was no big deal. (or so I thought ) more to follow shortly.

Some insight  I started playing golf when I was 30. Got hooked!  took a group lesson early on, watched video's, built greens, pieced together a simulator, hitting nets, swing jacket, Zepp swing sensor, orange whip and almost anything you can think of to improve my game.  So 30 years later I am at a 2.5 handicap mostly achieved on my own. Back about 13 years ago my wife landed a job at a Country Club as the book keeper which fortunately for me comes with membership. So I play a lot of golf. Six years ago I also moved into a Sales Manager position. Yes more golf with customers. Being a better player in the company I also get to play in many customer golf tournaments and charity golf events. (have one next Friday) Did I mention I play a lot of golf!

This testing will be very interesting to me. I always played game improvement irons. Why mess with a good thing right?

Will going to a players iron negatively effect my handicap?

Was I always hitting the sweet spot or did the game improvement features hide my imperfections?

Will the ball move more than I'm used to due to hitting an iron that can work the ball? Something I'm not used to.

Wondering about the feedback feel compared to the game improvement covering this up for the most part.

Will I kick myself in the butt for not going to a players iron sooner?

So here we are on Day 1  Just got off the phone with Jason at Sub 70 for my phone fitting. Before the call I took the on line fitting quiz. It asks for your height, wrist to floor measurement with golf shoes on, average driver distance, and distance you hit a 7 iron. So it came back with + 1/4 in iron length, + 2* lie. So I thought I was prepared for the phone call. No wait, let me run down to the basement and check my swing on a lie board. I see that my typical impact was more toward the toe. Why I didn't do this years ago is unknown. So I get on the phone with Jason and I told him I went through the fitting quiz. Then he started asking me questions.  "Do you draw or fade the irons?" I hit the straight  Then we are not changing the lie angle. I told Jason my lie board results showed my impact to be more toward the toe. So he recommended we go with the + 1/4 " on length. Then he asked if I wanted satin or black? I asked if the black would hold up well. Then we got into soil conditions on the golf courses I play. He asked are they sandy type soil, regular dirt type, clay. He suggested I get the satin for the typical clay in my area. We decided on the type of shaft based on my request to gain more trajectory. I typically hit a lower ball. So I was fit to the KBS Tour 90 in regular flex. Then got into the golf grip. I'm a midsize. Finally the set makeup 4 to pitch or 5 to gap. I went with the 5 to gap as I switch over to a hybrid for the 4.

Jason was great and understanding on the fitting process and congratulated me on being chosen and was looking forward to my honest reviews. I should have these in about a week. I can't wait. 

Congratulations, Tom.  I see you all over the feeds on here with lots of input and great thoughts.  Excited to see what you think of them, enjoy the set!

• Like 3

Driver:default_taylormade-small.jpg.7261af28af5ff1c291b0cc05a9d9285e.jpg 2017 Taylormade M1 w/ Tensei CK Blue 60 S Shaft
3w:default_mizuno-small.jpg.53d0e81fbaf5c93bffca28dc6fe15a88.jpg Mizuno GT 180 15 degree w/ Tensei CK Blue 60 S Shaft
3H: default_ping-small.jpg.55bc8955cd3f9db9084a49fa2d8186d6.jpgPing g400 19 degree w/ Alta CB 70 Stiff
4-PW: default_mizuno-small.jpg.53d0e81fbaf5c93bffca28dc6fe15a88.jpgMizuno MP-63 w/ True Temper S300
Wedges: default_titelist-small.jpg.920d52649433e5fee234ad27e55c0091.jpgVokey SM7 52F, 56M, 60M
Putter: default_cleveland-small.jpg.2a5a328012300c4d34355e56e5490ae4.jpgCleveland Huntington Beach SOFT 1
Ball:default_srixon-small.jpg.9b0fc8a90c9d2064823de4fef895a1bf.jpg Srixon Z-Star

3 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I don't want to get off topic but I have a question regarding the data collection.

I have not used either system but I am wondering about the distance variation. Yes we can all hit a few poor shots, but I am questioning the logic in the programs. I play on a hilly course or should I say a very hilly course. As an example, if I have 125 yards into a green I would hit a pitching wedge. In this example I have a severe upslope and I am on the slope hitting into the green. In order to get the ball 125 yards I now need to hit a 9 iron which is 140 yards for me. Wouldn't the distance tracking always be showing you short or long on uphill and down hill lies?  Like I said I have not used either system but do they compensate for elevations or always assume a level shot.

@Tom the Golf Nut Not sure if shotscope takes into account elevation or wind but as @GolfSpy MPR mentioned, SS also removed outliers from data collection. There is an average shot distance for each club which takes into account every shot and then P. Avg which stands for performance average which takes the outliers out.

• Like 2

Driver : :callaway-small: Rogue SZ Evenflow 6.0 Stiff

Hybrids: :callaway-small: XR Project X Stiff (3&4)

Irons : :callaway-small: Mavrik True Temper Elevate 95 Stiff Steel (5-PW,AW)

Wedges : Bombtech 52,56,60

Putter : :taylormade-small:Spider Red

Bag : Datrek lightweight cart bag

Ball : :callaway-small: Chromesoft Truvis / Taylormade TP5 Pix

Rangefinder : TecTecTec DXLS

SoCal, USA

Right handed HDCP 20

Will definitely be keeping up on this test as I have looked into getting a 3W from Sub70 and am interested in the comparison between big brand OEM clubs and the Sub70 clubs.

• Like 3

Driver : :callaway-small: Rogue SZ Evenflow 6.0 Stiff

Hybrids: :callaway-small: XR Project X Stiff (3&4)

Irons : :callaway-small: Mavrik True Temper Elevate 95 Stiff Steel (5-PW,AW)

Wedges : Bombtech 52,56,60

Putter : :taylormade-small:Spider Red

Bag : Datrek lightweight cart bag

Ball : :callaway-small: Chromesoft Truvis / Taylormade TP5 Pix

Rangefinder : TecTecTec DXLS

SoCal, USA

Right handed HDCP 20

5 hours ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

What am I looking for from the Sub 70 699 Pro irons? Part 1: Shot tracking

I'm going to set up my testing procedures for the Sub 70 irons in two categories: on-course performance and launch monitor numbers. Here, I want to set up a baseline for the performance of my current irons, the PING G700s.

This year, I switched from Game Golf to Arccos for my stat collection. The two systems send mixed messages about the quality of my approach game (though both give me roughly the same overall handicap). Game Golf tells me my approach play is roughly at the level of a high single-digit player; Arccos says it's more at the level of a 15 handicap. That's a pretty broad disparity, obviously—especially relatively: Game Golf says my approach play is a strength relative to my overall handicap, whereas Arccos tells me that it's holding my handicap back.

I suspect the difference is that Arccos gives greater weight to hitting greens, whereas Game Golf is more concerned with proximity to the hole. I've written about this elsewhere on this site: the greens at my home course are very, very small (on average, about 2,400 sq ft). Practically, then, while GG might be more encouraging, Arccos is going to end up better reflecting the actual scoring potential that I have on my course. I might have hit an OK shot that finished 35 feet from the pin (from 100-125 yards, J. B. Holmes is last on the Tour with an average proximity of almost 30'), but because the greens are 50x50, I'm still chipping. My average greens in regulation hovers around 25%; it's really hard to score well with that percentage.

Here's my Arccos GIR and proximity numbers for my last 10 rounds:

image.png

And here are the current Arccos distance ranges that I hit each club:

image.png

For this test, I'm obviously looking for any distance increase from the 699 Pros over the G700s. The 699s are slightly weaker in lofts (about 1° on each club). I am hoping for tighter dispersion numbers and (correspondingly) higher GIR numbers.

In my next post, I'll lay down some baseline SkyTrak numbers with my current irons and suggest some targets that I'm hoping to see the 699s hit.

I dunno if its just me, but those seem like some pretty broad length ranges. ? Cant Arccos tighten those numbers up a bit? Its like 10+ yard overlaps, and over 25 yd variances with the same club? That would just confuse me... Or does it have a narrowed number (the number that a normal solid shot goes) somewhere in the mix?

• Like 4

:callaway-small: MavriK Sub Zero 9* on EvenFlow RipTide 6.0 50g

:ping-small: g400 3 wood on Aldila Stiff  not for long! Looking for a MavriK 3-wood!!!

:callaway-small: 816 Big Bertha Alpha 3-wood (stand-in until the MavriK is found)

:callaway-small: 815 GBB Alpha hybrid 19° On Fujikura Speeder 865 Stiff

:Hogan: Combo iron set -8,9,per Icon 5,6,7 PtxPro 4-UiHi on Recoil 780 ES f4 Stiff shafts (best clubs ever)

:benhogan-small: Equalizer 50°, 54°, 60° wedges on Recoil 780 f4

:EVNROLL: ER3 34”

:titelist-small: ProV1x

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 shoes

4 minutes ago, Sluggo42 said:

I dunno if its just me, but those seem like some pretty broad length ranges. ? Cant Arccos tighten those numbers up a bit? Its like 10+ yard overlaps, and over 25 yd variances with the same club? That would just confuse me... Or does it have a narrowed number (the number that a normal solid shot goes) somewhere in the mix?

The overlaps will happen, bad lie, good lie etc. Mine are 7-8 yards. But you are correct in the total range. That is a big spread. Hopefully these bring that to a more manageable range fro him.  

• Like 3

:callaway-small:                      Epic Flash Sub Zero 9.5* (Ventus Black 6X) 45"

:taylormade-small:             M5 15* (Ventus Black 7x) 43"

:callaway-small:                      Epic Flash Sub Zero 18* (Tensei AV Blue 70 X)

:srixon-small:                     Z585 4-5 (KBS C Taper S)

:srixon-small:                     Z785 6-AW (KBS C Taper S)

:titelist-small:                      Vokey SM8 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                      Vokey SM8 59 04 L   (KBS 610)

:bettinardi-1:                Studio Stock 28 Slotback 33.5"

:bridgestone-small:       Tour BX

:Arccos:

Twitter         @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

16 hours ago, golfish! said:

@Tom the Golf Nut Not sure if shotscope takes into account elevation or wind but as @GolfSpy MPR mentioned, SS also removed outliers from data collection. There is an average shot distance for each club which takes into account every shot and then P. Avg which stands for performance average which takes the outliers out.

Also with shot scope you can go back after the round and mark the punch outs etc as such so they don't skew the data for the clubs.

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :cobra-small: King F9 9° - LH - Atmos Blue TS 6 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue 7 Reg
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3 Hybrid - Atmos Blue 7 Reg
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 4-PW - True Temper XP95 Reg
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° -True Temper XP95 Reg
Putter:    :rife-putters-1: Two Bar Hybrid
Ball:        :titelist-small: Pro V1

Tracked By: :Arccos:

Follow me on Twitter @ham12_hampton and on Instagram @Nunfa0 for the #cobraconnectchallenge3

Woke up one day closer to receiving the goods 🙂

• Like 4
  • Love 1

• TaylorMade M5 9.0 - Graphite Design Tour AD-XC 6X OR PX HZRDUS Green 60 6.5 TX
  • TaylorMade M6 15 - PX HZRDUS Green 80 6.5 TX
  • Adams Red 18 - Matrix Altus Tour X
  • Callaway X Forged UT 19 - Aldila Rogue Black 105 TX
  • Srixon Z965 4-P - PX 6.0 LS (hs 1x) --------------- FORUM TESTING /// Sub 70 Golf 699 Pro 4-P - KBS Tour X
  • Cleveland RTX 4 52/58 Mid - DG TI S400
  • Scotty Cameron X7 Phantom 34”
  • Bridgestone B XS

3 hours ago, Smellis745 said:

Make sure to snap those pics once you do!

In my bag:

Driver: :honma: TR20 460 9.5* Vizard TR20 60X

Wood: :mizuno-small: ST200 TS Dimana D+PLUS Limited Edition 70X

Hybrids: :mizuno-small: CLK 19* Tensei CK Pro Blue 80TX

Irons: :honma: TW 747 Rose Proto 4-PW Modus Tour 120X

Wedges: :honma: TW-W4 52*, 56*, and 60*Modus Tour 125 Wedge 

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B X

I’m truly looking forward to this one.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

Ping G410 - set at 12 degrees, fade setting - Fujikura Motore X R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood

G30 6-PW -  Aerotech FT 500 shafts

SCOR 48,52,56,60

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

7 hours ago, Smellis745 said:

I keep checking my email for shipping confirmation!  Its like that old Heinz Ketchup commercial song.  "Anticipation, it's making me wait"  

• Like 6

Looks like my "Anticipation comment paid off"  Now the excitement level is kicking in.

SUB 70 GOLF 

Hi Thomas, you have a package coming tomorrow.

Scheduled Delivery Date: Thursday, 07/30/2020
Estimated Delivery Time: by 9:00 P.M.I
  • Like 7
  • Love 2

Looks like mine will be here tomorrow.

Shipping.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 3

• TaylorMade M5 9.0 - Graphite Design Tour AD-XC 6X OR PX HZRDUS Green 60 6.5 TX
  • Srixon Z965 4-P - PX 6.0 LS (hs 1x) --------------- FORUM TESTING /// Sub 70 Golf 699 Pro 4-P - KBS Tour X
  • Bridgestone B XS

45 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Well it was Christmas in July today. 🤩  Got home from looking at a college with my daughter and there was a present at my front door!  Great packaging for the clubs, better than anything else I have received from other companies in the past. The box is even first class. The slogan on the box reads "Expectations Redefined". Other than the clubs there were also other surprises in the box as well. A hand written note from Jason at Sub 70, a nice hat, and a sticker for my car.  

Each clubhead was wrapped in plastic and each one had the clubs specks on a label. 

First impressions: I was expecting a slightly smaller club head in length compared to my game improvement Irons. This was not the case. So one of my concerns turned out not to be one 😃. The offset is less which was expected but isn't much of a concern for me. You can see a side by side comparison below. Craftsmanship was perfect. I did not find any flaws throughout the set.  A few swings in the living room and everything felt and looked good.

I am working on a loft comparison chart. Game improvement irons are always strong lofted. So I want to be taking everything into consideration during the testing. 

Everything was starting off on a good note until I unwrapped the last club (Don't worry). Then there was a crack of thunder and then the skies opened up. My planned run over to the driving range came to a halt. At least it gave me time to put this post together.

Testing starts on Sunday. I have a golf tournament tomorrow and I think it best to get more familiarity with the new sticks before I put them in play (But I want to so badly). I'm trying to squash the demon on my shoulder telling me to put them in the bag! 

IMG_1016.jpg

IMG_1017.jpg

IMG_1022.jpg

IMG_1025.jpg

IMG_1032.jpg

IMG_1015.jpg

IMG_1023.jpg

Those look spectacular! Sub70 makes nice products and those grips really look good paired with those irons. I love the extras that were packed in there, that hat is sweet! Glad to see you get them, it's just too bad you couldn't get out and hit them, I know it's got to be driving you crazy. 

• Like 2

Mine arrive tomorrow. Had I known they arrived at the local customer center today, I would’ve went to pick them up this afternoon. Nevertheless, I’ll have them in hand tomorrow.

• Like 5

• Bridgestone B XS

Well it was Christmas in July today. 🤩  Got home from looking at a college with my daughter and there was a present at my front door!  Great packaging for the clubs, better than anything else I have received from other companies in the past. The box is even first class. The slogan on the box reads "Expectations Redefined". Other than the clubs there were also other surprises in the box as well. A hand written note from Jason at Sub 70, a nice hat, and a sticker for my car.  
Each clubhead was wrapped in plastic and each one had the clubs specks on a label. 
First impressions: I was expecting a slightly smaller club head in length compared to my game improvement Irons. This was not the case. So one of my concerns turned out not to be one . The offset is less which was expected but isn't much of a concern for me. You can see a side by side comparison below. Craftsmanship was perfect. I did not find any flaws throughout the set.  A few swings in the living room and everything felt and looked good.
I am working on a loft comparison chart. Game improvement irons are always strong lofted. So I want to be taking everything into consideration during the testing. 
Everything was starting off on a good note until I unwrapped the last club (Don't worry). Then there was a crack of thunder and then the skies opened up. My planned run over to the driving range came to a halt. At least it gave me time to put this post together.
Testing starts on Sunday. I have a golf tournament tomorrow and I think it best to get more familiarity with the new sticks before I put them in play (But I want to so badly). I'm trying to squash the demon on my shoulder telling me to put them in the bag! 
IMG_1016.jpg.81be20c9f1c4e85835abfdcc879d8a58.jpg
IMG_1017.jpg.0b0e175c8894b360d19c75443879c364.jpg
IMG_1022.jpg.4d673acff45ee2313cb54e94f2c415f1.jpg
IMG_1025.jpg.3443bd9465a50333611d33f3d6399ea3.jpg
IMG_1032.jpg.459a5ba8a68dcf6db2db1c168d7561d0.jpg
IMG_1015.jpg.ff392aaedbe11f0f7d29b3bcbb23896b.jpg
IMG_1023.jpg.9d124c87d0f279eb49a175ba16dc0db0.jpg

Man those got here super fast and they look great!

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 5

:cobra-small: King F7+ UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 6F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 6-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:cobra-small: King PuR Wedges 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 3.0 grip

Arccos Generation 1 Sensors on all clubs

Snell MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

The rain stopped for about 10 minutes before it got dark. I grabbed the 7 iron and a sleeve of birdie balls. They only fly 40 yards. After I hit, I could have put a golf towel over the three of them. It looks to be a great start.  

• Like 8

Let me kick things off here. First, I'm really excited about this test for reasons over and above the cool feeling of getting new clubs. Jason Hiland, the founder of [mention=76062]GolfSub70[/mention], has been part of my golfing life nearly since I really got sucked into the game 8 or so years ago.
I've always been in the "not rich guy playing a rich guys' sport" end of things, and so I was delighted to find one of Jason's earlier companies, Diamond Tour Golf. They make a variety of clone clubs, and I've built multiple sets from them for a fraction of the cost of the big OEMs. Diamond Tour not only sucked me deeper into playing golf, but into the joys of tinkering and club work. And they still provide what might be the best bargain in junior golf: I basically build Kirke a custom set of their junior clubs each year.
So for me, testing Sub 70 is like coming back to an old friend, even though Sub 70 is a relatively new company. For me, they start with a leg up: I know firsthand that Jason is capable of putting out quality components that don't have the same costs as the big OEMs.
Some about me stuff: I've written a lot of this in other threads here, so I'll keep this short. I'm a perfectly mediocre golfer. Driver swing speed in the mid-to-upper 90s. Handicap (as of this morning) around 11. I make lots of bogeys, a few pars, and that summarizes most of my rounds.
As of now, my short game and putting have continued to get better and better; that is now the strength of my game. The biggest weakness is driving. In between is my approach play. I tend to hit my irons well, but on my home course, that's not enough: the greens are exceedingly tiny, and so increasing my GIRs has been a struggle for me.
Why I'm interested in this test: my PING G700s and I have had a nice run. But a few months ago, I listened to a podcast with one of PING's engineers, and he was talking about the effects of blade length on player consistency. Check out an excerpt from that here:
[/url] Fascinating, no?
Considering that those are my irons he's holding as examples of the biggest irons, I really wanted to see if I might see some improvements in my game going back to a smaller iron.
But...who wants to give up the distance gains of an iron like the G700s? Enter the players-distance category iron! In this category, we have irons like some of the PXG flagships, the PING i500s, and the TaylorMade P790. Generally compact heads, most often hollow and then filled with some substance to make them sound less offensive. These seemed right in the sweet spot of what I would desire most. Except the price: yikes! Not even counting PXG doing PXG things, the price of this kind of manufacturing is almost certainly higher than a standard iron.
So the idea of Sub 70, a company that I already have a soft spot for, putting out an iron in the class of irons that I'm interested in: yep, count me in.
So what do I want to see with this test?
  • How much distance drop-off is there going from an SGI iron like the G700 to the 699 Pro?
  • Is there a compensating increase in control, both laterally and in consistent distance?
  • I'm at the higher end of the recommended handicap for these irons: are they too much for me?
  • And bottom line: are these going to help me with my long-running quest to break into a single-figure handicap?

Looking forward to all of your reviews, good luck guys and have fun

• Like 2

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Ping G410 Plus

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead

Irons; Ping G410 5-SW & Mizno 919 Hot Metal 5-SW

Putter; Waaay too many to list