Gimmies

Our Sponsors

While there is not an official rule in the game of golf for gimmies, when I golf with my buddies, we try to keep an accurate score by not taking mulligans or re-hitting a shot if we shank an approach shot. But we give each other gimmies within the leather for doubles or worse. Otherwise, we putt out bogeys, pars, and birdies.

What would be your "ruling" of the following situation that happened the last time out with my playing partners:

Player A got on the green at was putting for bogey. He rolled his putt to within 3 feet, so the rest of the group said "we'll give you that for 6."

Player A responds, "Okay, but I still want to tap it in for practice." Player A missed his tap in, then tapped in on the next shot.

Player B who had the scorecard put Player A down for a 7.

Player A asked "Why a 7? You guys said you were giving me that for a 6."

Player B argued "We were giving you a 6, but you turned it down by deciding to putt, you missed, then you made your 7."

We are not too worried handicaps, and our scores are really nothing more than for bragging rights at the end of the round, but I just wanted to see how others felt about this situation. I tend to agree with Player A that the rest of our group already gave him a 6, so if he wants to putt out for practice that's fine, but it was already agreed he had a 6.

• Like 3

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: 4.5LS Supercharged 

Driver: :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub Zero 9º

Fairway Wood:titelist-small: 909 F3 15º

Hybrid:titelist-small: 909H 19º

Irons:titelist-small: DCI 762 (4–PW)

Wedges:mizuno-small: T20 50º :vokey-small: 200 Series Tour Chrome 54º/10º; SM6 M Grind 60º/8º

Putter:odyssey-small: Toulon Design Stroke Lab Las Vegas with H7 neck

Ball:titelist-small: Pro V1X; :bridgestone-small: Tour B X

Shoes:footjoy-small: Pro SL; :nike-small: Air Max 1 G

I feel like I just read this exact same thread on WRX like 20 minutes ago.

• Like 2

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Current tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 10/6/2020
Driver:taylormade-small:SIM Max 10.5 - Fujikura Ventus Red 5S Velocore (the real one)
Hybrids:taylormade-small: SIM Max 3H, 4H - Matrix Ozik 85S
Irons:callaway-small:Mavrik Max 5 - AW - Nippon Neo 950GH S
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX 2 54, CBX Full Face 58 - Nippon Modus 105 Wedge flex
Putter:  LAB Golf Directed Force 2.1

Current Putter Collection: LAB Golf DIrected Force 1, :cleveland-small: HB Soft Premier #11, :cameron-small: La Costa 1st 500, :scotty-small: Squareback 1 (2008)

I would have just given him a 6. It was given by the group, and he may not have been concentrating when practicing the putt knowing he had it already.

• Like 2

:callaway-small: Driver: GBB Epic 10.5*
:callaway-small: 3 Wood: Epic Flash
:callaway-small: 4 Hybrid: Epic Flash
:callaway-small: Irons:  - PW Rogue 
:titelist-small: Wedges:  Vokey SM8 50*, SM7 56*, 60*
:titelist-small: :cameron-small: Putter: California Fastback 35" w Red Cord Dancing SC Grip
:nike-small: Bag: Nike Air Hybrid Golf Bag
:titelist-small: or :bridgestone-small: Ball: Tour Soft or e12

Still learning. Love the art of putting.

Our gimmes are within the "leathers" except for pars or birdies. Some of the guys taking the gimme announce that they want to practice the putt. Regardless of whether the putt is made, the gimme stands.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 7

Left Hand orientation

:ping-small: G410 SFT driver 

:cobra-small: F Max 5 wood

:ping-small:  9 wood
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*
:wilson-small: C300 4i-GP
:cleveland-small:  Wedges RTX 3.0: 52*, 56*
:ping-small: EYE 2 Wedge 60*

:odyssey-small: O Works putter
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain:

:SuperSpeed: Official Tester 2020   Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

1 hour ago, dlow206 said:

I feel like I just read this exact same thread on WRX like 20 minutes ago.

You're not wrong. I posted there last night. I just wanted to get opinions from those that may only be in one of the forums.

Wedges:mizuno-small: T20 50º :vokey-small: 200 Series Tour Chrome 54º/10º; SM6 M Grind 60º/8º

1 hour ago, DJ Mico said:

While there is not an official rule in the game of golf for gimmies, when I golf with my buddies, we try to keep an accurate score by not taking mulligans or re-hitting a shot if we shank an approach shot. But we give each other gimmies within the leather for doubles or worse. Otherwise, we putt out bogeys, pars, and birdies.

What would be your "ruling" of the following situation that happened the last time out with my playing partners:

Player A got on the green at was putting for bogey. He rolled his putt to within 3 feet, so the rest of the group said "we'll give you that for 6."

Player A responds, "Okay, but I still want to tap it in for practice." Player A missed his tap in, then tapped in on the next shot.

Player B who had the scorecard put Player A down for a 7.

Player A asked "Why a 7? You guys said you were giving me that for a 6."

Player B argued "We were giving you a 6, but you turned it down by deciding to putt, you missed, then you made your 7."

We are not too worried handicaps, and our scores are really nothing more than for bragging rights at the end of the round, but I just wanted to see how others felt about this situation. I tend to agree with Player A that the rest of our group already gave him a 6, so if he wants to putt out for practice that's fine, but it was already agreed he had a 6.

1 hour ago, THEZIPR23 said:

Once a putt is given it is done. Anything that happens after that is irrelevant. 

38 minutes ago, Chip Strokes said:

this. 

30 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

Our gimmes are within the "leathers" except for pars or birdies. Some of the guys taking the gimme announce that they want to practice the putt. Regardless of whether the putt is made, the gimme stands.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

I record actual strokes so, if someone declines a gimmie then misses I record it as such. 

The point of gimmies is to speed up play in confidence the putt would be made. If a fool wants to chance it then it is their choice. 

In the original example above, I would remind the player, "if you miss then it is recorded as a miss" to make the player think about it. 

If they really insist on practicing then they should pick-up the ball and put it somewhere else on the green to make it overwhelmingly obvious that it is a practice putt. For instance, go back to where they hit the first putt from or, move the ball back an extra foot or two. 

It might not be popular but that's how I approach it. 

Alternately, I have a friend who will attempt tap in gimmies with one hand instead of his normal two handed grip. He never penalizes himself if he missed it because he wasn't taking it seriously with a one handed putt. I see his point of view and don't penalize him either on gimmies - we only play friendly golf without any competition so, it never matters anyway. 

I don't give gimmies on Birdies or pars unless they are less than a foot. 

About two feet for bogey, 3 feet for double, and no matter what for a 3 putt. If someone is on the green an missed the first two putts then I say it's good for a 3 putt even if it's still 6 feet away (assuming it's for bogey or worse). I don't want to see any 4 or more putts or see someone get embarrassed over a friendly round. 

• Like 3

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Buffly said:

If they really insist on practicing then they should pick-up the ball and put it somewhere else on the green to make it overwhelmingly obvious that it is a practice putt. For instance, go back to where they hit the first putt from or, move the ball back an extra foot or two.

Interesting point. After the "fiasco" between my other two partners about whether playing what was already given to him, the guy that missed his initial tap in on later holes would get a gimmie from the group and said "Fine, but I want to move it and take a practice shot."

There was no more confusion the rest of the afternoon.

11 minutes ago, Buffly said:

I record actual strokes so, if someone declines a gimmie then misses I record it as such. 

The point of gimmies is to speed up play in confidence the putt would be made. If a fool wants to chance it then it is their choice. 

In the original example above, I would remind the player, "if you miss then it is recorded as a miss" to make the player think about it. 

Alternately, I have a friend who will attempt tap in gimmies with one hand instead of his normal two handed grip. He never penalizes himself if he missed it because he wasn't taking it seriously with a one handed putt. I see his point of view and don't penalize him either on gimmies - we only play friendly golf without any competition so, it never matters anyway. 

About two feet for bogey, 3 feet for double, and no matter what for a 3 putt. If someone is on the green an missed the first two putts then I say it's good for a 3 putt even if it's still 6 feet away (assuming it's for bogey or worse). I don't want to see any 4 or more putts or see someone get embarrassed over a friendly round. 

you don’t sound very fun to play with 🤷🏾‍♂️

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

This is not how gimmies are meant to be handled. If a putt has been given and the player accepts the putt as given, the player is well within their rights to play the putt as it lies as a practice shot. They do not have to move the ball and play it from somewhere else for it to count as practice. When a putt is given and accepted, the score is what the given putt makes it. End of story.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 7
29 minutes ago, FrogginBullfish said:

This is not how gimmies are meant to be handled. If a putt has been given and the player accepts the putt as given, the player is well within their rights to play the putt as it lies as a practice shot. They do not have to move the ball and play it from somewhere else for it to count as practice. When a putt is given and accepted, the score is what the given putt makes it. End of story.

There are no "rules" on gimmies in stroke play that I know of. Match play is another story in regards to conceded putts.  

I see your point. As long as the player declares it is a practice shot then it shouldn't matter where they putt from, or if they miss or not. 

The scenario I find myself in is more like the player doesn't accept the gimme and says, "I want to put it." That's where I say, "Then if you miss it counts." They usually think about it for a second and pick-up the ball. 

I apologise if I didn't clarify that adequately. 

• Like 2

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

That would be because gimmies don't exist in competitive stroke play. Any gimmies in stroke play are happening in friendly matches and should be governed by the same rules you'd apply in a competitive match play game in regards to conceded putts. Once the concession is accepted, any further strokes are automatically deemed practice.

I guess the point I'm trying to get across is the way you word it in your statements kind of goes against the spirit of the gimmie. It seems in your situations, the opposing player is unaware how gimmies function. Perhaps you can explain that they can accept your concession and continue on as a practice stroke, but they must first make it known that the concession has been accepted. Beyond that any further strokes are considered practice without need for clarification.

There are no "rules" on gimmies in stroke play that I know of. Match play is another story in regards to conceded putts.  
I see your point. As long as the player declares it is a practice shot then it shouldn't matter where they putt from, or if they miss or not. 
The scenario I find myself in is more like the player doesn't accept the gimme and says, "I want to put it." That's where I say, "Then if you miss it counts." They usually think about it for a second and pick-up the ball. 
I apologise if I didn't clarify that adequately. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, FrogginBullfish said:

I guess the point I'm trying to get across is the way you word it in your statements kind of goes against the spirit of the gimmie

I concede that. 

• Like 1

agree, once a gimmie is given, the score is set at that point.  anything afterwards doesn't matter.  

• Like 2

TM M4  or TS2

EPIC 15*

Titleist 816 H1 19 & 24*

Titleist T200 5-GW

Vokey SM8  54

Vokey SM8 58

PXG Operator H 

If you're not really competing, you're not playing a match, you're not posting for handicaps, I don't really care what you do.  However, if the entire group agrees that the putt has been conceded, and the player has identified his next attempt as a practice putt, I'd accept that he's just practicing and wouldn't score that one as a "miss".   Again, if you're not competing with one another, why should anyone care enough to argue how to score the hole? 

• Like 6

:titelist-small: Irons Titleist AP2 714, KBS Tour S, 3 flat

:callaway-small: Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:vokey-small: 52, 56, and 60 wedges

:ping-small: B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

For my own play and what I would suggest to others is just to follow the WHS net double bogey rule where the maximum score is double bogey + any handicap strokes given on that hole. In the example above, if it wasn't a handicap hole, a six would have been the maximum score anyways so it wouldn't have mattered. If the course is busy, I really do think everyone should just pick up at their net double bogey and move on.

Outside of that, I agree with the general sentiment above that given putts are given and the score should be recorded as such. I also don't really understand a game that is a.) casual enough to give putts in stroke play and b.) serious enough that you're keeping each others' scores and writing down a 7 after a missed "given" putt and causing a fiasco.

• Like 3

Driver: Honma TW747 460 VIZARD 50 S-flex
3 wood: GigaGolf TRX 15*  Grafalloy Pursuit M2T S-flex
Hybrids: GigaGolf TRX 18* and 22* UST HDX 70 S-flex
Irons: GigaGolf TRX PowerSlot 5-PW UST HDX 80 S-flex
Wedges: GigaGolf TRX 6.0 50*, 55*, 60* Dynamic Gold S-flex
Putter: Ray Cook M1 (2020) 34”

“Golf is a good walk enhanced”

I'm with the majority on this one. If I say "that's good" and the person I'm playing still putts it, I'm under the assumption he's practicing. I'm cool with that. Sounds like player B has a bit of a beef with A. 

• Like 4