Tee Height Test Discussion Thread

Our Sponsors

Interesting results and significantly more than I would have guessed.  I have lowered my tee height in recent years and found it to me more reliable.  I've not measured what my tee height is now but would guess it at 1.25. Much like @cnosilexplained, my AoA works better with a lower tee height and I rarely catch the top anymore.  What really caught my eye however is the significant drop in FIR's... it wouldn't seem accuracy would be influenced that much.

image.png.9f37445b0e689ba070deede2188dbc93.png

• Like 2

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver | Official 2019 MGS Tester

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-UW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:ping-small: B61 Putter

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I actually tee the ball a bit lower since I tend to have a descending AoA. Teeing the ball up puts me in danger of skying the ball and losing considerable ball speed since I hit it too high on the fa

Is there a tee height the fixes the distance problem associated with the ball not flying in a straight line? Asking for a friend...🤣🤣🤣

I hope the USGA keeps in mind (if tee height gets reduced) that not all of us play these pristine, perfectly mowed tee boxes.  Half of the courses I play require different tee heights just to be above

Posted Images

This winter using the rubber cone tees.   One of them tees the ball higher and noticed the carry increase.   I received some of the Western Birch golf tees and they are lined.  I am going to start using the lines on the tee and try the 1.5 inch height and see the results. 

• Like 1

I think tee height effects several things, I tee it lower to hit a low cut, and higher to launch it more.  I use my ring finger on my right hand to measure for height consistency. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Tsmithjr9 said:

Tee it high, let it fly. I use 3 1/2" inch tees and put just enough in the ground to keep it stable.

Take Dead Aim

Yep same here. My tees have built in marks (not painted on as I learned those paint marks eventually come off) so I get consistent tee heights. Been teeing with just the tip in the ground with a 3 1/4" tee. Only issue is that my tee goes flying out of the ground and I am constantly looking for it!

• Like 3

Driver : :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max D 9* Project X HZRDUS RDX Black 70g 6.0 Stiff

Woods : :benhogan-small: GS53 3 Wood 14* Mitsubish Tensei Blue 73g Regular

Hybrids: :callaway-small: XR Project X Stiff (3&4)

Irons : :callaway-small: Mavrik True Temper Elevate 95 Stiff Steel (5-PW,AW)

Wedges : File:Kirkland Signature logo.svg - Wikimedia Commons 52, 56, 60 

Putter : :taylormade-small:Spider Red

Bag : Datrek lightweight cart bag

Ball :  :taylormade-small: TP5 PIX

Rangefinder : TecTecTec ULT-X

Pushcart : Currently Testing Motocaddy M5 GPS DHC Electric Push Cart

SoCal, USA

Right handed HDCP 16.7

Forget all this talk about tee heights. If the USGA and the R&A want to limit the distance a ball goes, reduce the overall weight from 1.62 ounces to 1.3 ounces. For a better explanation of this get the book "Search for the Perfect Swing" by Alastair Cochran and John Stobbs. There's a complete discussion of this in Chapter 26 entitled "What Flight of What Ball", specifically the paragraphs on pages 170 and 171.

Driver: Tommy Armour Atomic, 10.5, Senior Shaft

3 Wood: Cleveland FL, senior graphite shaft.

Adams Idea A12 OS, 3,4,5,6 hybrids, 7 - sand wedge. Senior flex graphite shafts

Ping Answer putter.

Tee height plays a difference in distance, but nothing in accuracy. Using a shorter driver is what creates accuracy. I use micro head tees and all are pre marked at the preferred tee height. Limiting tee height is not going to make the game more difficult for pros. 15 yards isn’t much distance lost at the professional level. Second, they already hit the ball at adjusted tee height levels. Look at DJ hitting a 7 Wood 255 yards. Tee height doesn’t make a difference. The USGA doesn’t need to spend time evaluating limiting tee height. 

Fact is, golf has more youngsters In the game then ever before. In addition, our own athletic human nature has incorporated physical fitness into golf more than ever before. This is what has led to an increase in distance more than anything. 

Make the game harder at the professional level. Make the fairway, rough, and fringe cuts taller. Eliminate green reading books. Make the pace in greens change from hole to hole. Same with fairways. Just at the professional level only. 

Tee height is critical.  I had a bad driver head and one of the things I tried was lowering the tee height.  As soon as I got my replacement head and teed the ball up higher, my length and accuracy both got better.

:ping-small:       Driver:  G410 LST 9 +1 Flat w/Tour AD DI 6X Orange

:taylormade-small:  3 Metal:   M2 13 degree w/Tour AD DJ 7X Orange

:titelist-small:          Hybrid:  818 21 

:mizuno-small:        4-PW:  MP 20  w/Dynamic Gold X100

:mizuno-small:        Wedges: 50-54-58: Mizuno MP T20 w/DG S400

:whitlam-golf-1:    Putter:  Joseph SS303 w/Super Stroke Fatso 5.0

:Snell:  Ball:  MTB Black

:1590477705_SunMountain: C130 S    🇺🇸    :skycaddie:

I appreciate the test but would have preferred measure points at every 1/2 inch starting at 1.5.

I saw that a prior poster commented a belief that it made no difference in accuracy but if a lower tee produce more spin than it does make a difference as the test itself suggests.

Where the cutoff point is in regards to tee height matters though. I’d also suspect that optimal heights will vary per player and that club set up might be used to minimize the impact of lower tee heights.

Just some additional thoughts, great discussion starter. So long as the USGA leaves the 99 plus percent alone I really don’t care what they do. I feel there’s a chance of that based on their new CEO.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 3

Ping G410 - turned down to11.25 degrees, neutral setting - Fujikura Motore X R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood

Wilson D7 forged 6-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

SCOR 52,60

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Currently testing Edison wedges to replace SCORS that are wearing out. Also auditions for the 14th spot in the bag.  Current possibilities are a Ping 26 degree hybrid - duplicates the 9 wood or 5 iron but would be used almost exclusively for chipping or Tour Exotics 3 wood simply because you can carry 14 clubs and I might occasionally hit it in certain unusual wind conditions once every four or five rounds. 

I wish the article would've explored additional tee heights. I use the professional tee system 3 1/4" (blue) and previously used the 2 3/4" (yellow).  My longest drives came from the 2 3/4 but I was way more inconsistent - everything from topping to pop-ups to 90 deg slices.  In a perfect world, I'd get with a coach and develop a swing that grooved me hitting up on a 2 3/4" tee.  Longer facilitates up AoA and finds me (a couple of) more fairways... 

• Like 2

PXG 0811 X+ Prototype 10.5

Ping G410 3W, 3H

Ping G15 4-W

Cleveland RTX 3 50, Vokey SM4 54, Vokey SM7 58

Ping Zing 2 (1997) Putter

Srixon Q-Star Tour/Vice Pro Plus

Consistent tee height gives you a controllable that helps eliminate a variable and back in the day day used to play the ball and tee and sink tee until my knuckles touched and today with the tees that have a stop to give you the same height are great tools that you can work from for desired  results 

• Like 1

I agree with Garwood that it makes sense to buy castle/graduated tees to set your preferred tee height instead of trying to do this using your ring finger etc. They cost the same as normal tees and come in many different heights. I know Pros do not use them but we are not all Pros unfortunately.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Tsmithjr9 said:

Tee it high, let it fly. I use 3 1/2" inch tees and put just enough in the ground to keep it stable.

Take Dead Aim

But this begs the question, is a mere 3" tee height costing you distance?  If the trend is higher = longer and straighter, then those 5" Texas Tee's are more than just a novelty.

• Haha 2

As a higher handicapper, I'm certainly not an expert in this area. However, I would think that tee height by itself isn't the only variable; as ball position and AOA would have an affect as well. The key is to hit the sweet spot.

I tee the ball up pretty high using a 3 1/4" tee and it works for me. 

• Like 1

Left Hand orientation

:ping-small: G410 SFT driver 

Cobra King F-9  5 wood
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Snell MTB-X 

2020 Official Tester :SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I tee it at least 1.5 or 2.0 inches. high handicapper. But that works for me.

Tommy Armour TA -1 driver

Callaway 4 wood

Ping 7 wood

Tommy Armour 4h

STi-2 irons 6-GW

Cleveland 52 & 54 wedges

Ray Cook  silver ray

For those of you who tee it high, do you ground the driver as part of your set-up routine?  Keep in mind the lab test was conducted with robots and they have no pre-shot routine... unless Tony programmed one in 🤔.  I've been experimenting with not grounding my driver and thus far it just feels odd and the results inconsistent.

• Like 2

But this begs the question, is a mere 3" tee height costing you distance?  If the trend is higher = longer and straighter, then those 5" Texas Tee's are more than just a novelty.
Don't tempt me bro

Take Dead Aim

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Take Dead Aim

For those of you who tee it high, do you ground the driver as part of your set-up routine?  Keep in mind the lab test was conducted with robots and they have no pre-shot routine... unless Tony programmed one in .  I've been experimenting with not grounding my driver and thus far it just feels odd and the results inconsistent.

I do as part of my routine - seems to work for me.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 2

Left Hand orientation

:ping-small: G410 SFT driver 

Cobra King F-9  5 wood
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Snell MTB-X 

2020 Official Tester :SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

For those of you who tee it high, do you ground the driver as part of your set-up routine?  Keep in mind the lab test was conducted with robots and they have no pre-shot routine... unless Tony programmed one in .  I've been experimenting with not grounding my driver and thus far it just feels odd and the results inconsistent.

I’m mostly in the grounded camp. But I have tried to hover the club to from time to time. I also find I can be inconsistent with it.

To make it feel less weird to me I usually set up grounded and right before I start my backswing I’ll lift the head off the ground behind the ball. That way it’s not really “hovering” long.
  • Like 3

#COBRACONNECT CHALLENGE 4 ALUMNUS

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver 10.5 - Ventus Blue 6x | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8s | :cobra-small: Speedzone 4-Hybrid - KBS Proto 85s

:cobra-small: KING Forged Tec 5-GW - Nippon Modus 120x | :cobra-small: KING MIM Black 52.12C, 56.10V, 60.04W - Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :Snell: MTB-X | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 HD Slope

#cuetheduckboats