Golfspy_CG2

2019 Official Forum Member Review-Tour Edge EXS Driver

Follow our three testers of the Tour Edge EXS Driver as they bring you all the details and performance of this under the radar driver.  Will it perform for them, does it sound like a driver that would fit your game?  They will leave no stone un-turned or ball un-hit in the effort to bring you a in depth and fully unbiased review of the driver.

They will start with their Stage Ones which give you a good look at the brand new driver and tell you about their games.   While they are putting the driver in play over the next month to six weeks, they will update this thread with their thoughts and be available to answer any questions the community may have.  So fire away with anything you want to know about the Tour Edge EXS!

drivertoe_1400x.jpg?v=1551731635

@Badams69                                         Stage 1                                       Stage 2

@03trdblack                                          Stage 1                                          Stage 2

@ZJBogey2                                            Stage 1                                       Stage 2

• Like 6

STAGE 1 - BUDDY 5/28

Twitter - @BuddyRi56658612

Instagram - buddyrich8

Hi guys, I want to thank MGS for selecting me to review one of the products this year!  I am excited to be chosen for this driver in particular on the heels of reading about it and being quite intrigued.  

I must point out that I have yet to have much experience with this driver other than holding it, taking photos of it, and trying to figure out “why does this club feel so odd”.   Aha ..... the driver I received and the subsequent replacement shaft that I received both have the driver measuring at 44” playing length was requested - twice.   Which turns out to be exactly as requested by me.  I was wrong in thinking my current driver was under 45".  It is at minimum 45.5 and I like it, but have always thought it was cut short as per my request when I changed from Rogue to HZRDUS. That request was not granted accurately. 

vPrwBxUrECeivCvMrAelHcg2SQcSihqKiUXfzxhPtG3i_ORKw1QY_1_bU23Ifp_oPDDA--G5ntTXDSJMk0LEOUNGCEf65EDHA7GqAkaXIpnRzMjMnvhx0VdE3oQca-wcarHQrbTkV3ayFUQIeHW6bkIUHyYpAWHxcP018VbDEkLow5boq3ZfVMXd162CWb7VLvweh_vLEqop6_B5q2XBan6hiNffacXGhnaLa2bYBBsv_gXz9evJBhsq-SnH_E-xT6ERsvLRbbjd97l5-FC53KqDMgnDch5kJpsXT0yaEGA1Rvq93MC0D7coG5lCYHb6nnNKo7hdzwhse6DcUpExKOo7oUn1AkpfQg0FVuEtT1zKil4mC8VHAzOJySj29aCbUyQxKUOAnMx4QdWp6SCEmEIrwHx-s7PTKwfnYX0OP2UPs5fXZ391MHTp35LgBkNx7mY4K-6ztGgHYx47U_k4NrkC8X9PoT7Qj7Fiu67wpXw8ijpHLbPKJKDRHhh7rLMq9xgUcHnoE32KWjlxRj9LRSflaky0H4ze

My current profession is High School Golf Coach which is enjoyable overall.

As for me and my game - I’ve been playing since 6 or so and have enjoyed spells of pretty solid golf and experienced spells of horrific golf as well while chasing new techniques or some magic move to change my fortunes forever.  Hdcp has been generally mid to lower single digits until about 5 years ago. Since then it is a bit more hit and miss 86 one day, 73 the next with neither day looking like the same person.

I’m 48 years old and definitely not the tallest cat around coming in at around 5’5”.  As I’ve aged with scoliosis(fusion and steel rod) sometimes I have trouble getting things moving to begin the day.  With all that said, my driver SS comes in around 105 average. 102 when back is acting up and 108-ish when I’m able to get the body moving well.  My better ball flight is med/high draw with a tournament safe drive that is a bit lower draw to chase fairways. My miss is the common low hook or block right.  

When going right tempo is quicker than most(think Nick Price if Nick Price were having a very bad day).  When going wrong tempo is spastic.

m8IppM6Zxp_-CnEhRWx4Hz162amrPYhutg0FmyIWCack57vlGj378_cm0I9sqsAy0ltrgjQJm3DxsV1KLea_x1nsdEmVuxd1d9cgy9aTDS753-Lo1BE6JrqKEb7CsrMtpoZiU0Jf

I only get to play a few times every couple of months during the school year so most of my rounds are between May and September these days.  It is my plan to get things going this year and hope that the TE EXS driver is a big contributor to this bounce back season!

Currently I am playing with M1(original model) with ProjectX HZRDUS Red 6.0 62g.  I enjoy this setup better than any other I’ve used since my 983k moons ago. I would guess my average driver these days is in the 255-270 range depending on various factors.  I have general confidence in what I have now so to switch to the the EXS it will mean it really is what they say!

What I look forward to discovering is whether the EXS will allow me to go after driver as aggressively as I want without losing connection with the shaft while also allowing me to dial it back 20-30yds and simply hit a low draw that chases center cut. Also if the forgiveness is as good as advertised!!!

Oops - almost forgot …….

The setup that I requested has Tensei CK Blue shaft in stiff 60 grams at 44”, I chose the basic Lamkin stock UTX grip.  

kePHkjhzQDi_ynW_OfGG4_tijMpeyM5C16DGtpRRUAPIWcwIyUmcCalVZQpjYeLoMYcLZoSkHXOod0tO0DBkp4Yy8Sxxi_uprd_zud6Lv3Hx3JP2RdG1XM7dMcH_s2nGOXxoPiUKAzFi0B85upOT6il6a4rVS4wehKDJt83CynXf6fkiD1dTAYEuJ9YA_FuPLFjgdpDW1miZtUnejHlOyH87maz2BJbguRXcArbz6qDdEUNwRDJef57MvaPuN9pG-2oNnb6ZQcaISOF2

This is a very attractive driver and has quite a bit of adjustment capability as well.  

The three areas of intrigue to me when it comes to the tech in this driver are the

• ROLLFACE TECHNOLOGY (incorporates modified bulge & roll on the toe to help straighten out shots)

• VARIABLE FACE THICKNESS(variance in thickness to increase forgiveness)

• SLIPSTREAM SOLE(increased swing speed - I need that !!!)

-hqgZt97JRQiZZkhCqXrdbwKFnKRFfiX6_2Hg-kqwi9kKPvt9LSkFRLw-q7tJzxgtzy_ub9r1Veov6-t30KvOo6jIfSAsCKU8UEmB0M9x2C0cvmzC9_VwUGrl4aWRLAnGCxUWukr

Hope to get the opportunity to share with you guys how well they work for me relative to my current M1 setup.

I have put TOUR EDGE and MGS folks through the paces so far with shaft length snafu, and I couldn't be more impressed.  Thank you all.

• Like 7
  • Love 1

Posted (edited)

Stage 1 - Zach - 5/22/19

Intro:

I started reading MGS regularly this past fall. This will be my first official MGS testing. Thank you MGS and Tour Edge for providing this great opportunity! This test stood out to me because of the price point being a value driver and my higher handicap. I want to provide real feedback for those higher handicaps that didn’t want to spend an arm and a leg for “new” tech.

My name is Zach aka @ ZJBogey2, 32 years young, and I play in the mile high city of Denver, CO, stretching down south to Castle Rock (6,224 feet above sea level). Yes, as I learned in youth baseball, the ball flies considerably further at altitude.  I’ve been playing putt putt for 25+ years and playing real golf for 5 years now. I grew up near some great public golf courses but never played…I take that back, one summer as a youngster I would try and smack some balls around the neighborhood park. I grew up playing just about every other sport at competitive levels, and was fortunate enough to receive a football scholarship for college.  The first time golfing was at my sister in-laws wedding, and I was upset my wife made me play. I didn’t kept score but it would have been 130+. I wasn’t obsessed immediately and would play occasionally, but the last 2 years I’ve become fully immersed in the golf world. I’m quick to remind my wife that it’s entirely her fault! 

1.thumb.jpg.c432ab997856e8914b6fb0175a2cae53.jpg

IMG-7115.JPG.fc4e07a8e970cec0bbe74e08394115bf.JPGMy 2.5 year old son is also addicted. We have a putting green in the backyard, basement hitting area, and PGA Tour Live/Golf Channel on 90% of the time (10% whatever Disney movie is the weekly flavor). Hopefully adding a SkyTrak this winter. It will be interesting to watch my son grow up around the game and see what path he chooses.

Prior to this year I was your average weekend golfer and played in a friendly work league. I’m self taught with tips from friends and family. This year I decided to join the local men’s league so I’ve added tournament golf to my weekly round. What use to be 10-15 rounds a summer is now more like 30-40 rounds. I also discovered YouTube and watch countless videos on every golf instructional topic imaginable. As a former collegiate athlete, I am competitive by nature. I love the game because of the unique challenges each round. I love practicing and the drive to get better so a range session is just as fun for me.

Personal Golf Stats:

My handicap was 22, but now after some bad tournament starts rose to 25.2. The goal this summer is to get it below 20. Most guys I play with in the men’s league are better than me. My work league, I’m middle of the pack. 

Swing tempo is on the faster end and continually remind myself to slow down. Driver swing speed hovers around 95-98, might push 100 on occasion as I’ve been taking lessons focusing on swing path and not coming over the top. Here is a swing video:

Typical ball is high with a slight fade with a typical miss being slice right. I get lazy and come over the top trying to overpower things. It would be tough to say I have a true strength compared to most. For those in 20+ handicap range, my iron play was my “strength” and I was terrified of Driver. I took some lessons this year solely hitting my 7/8 irons and now my strength is the driver/woods off the tee. I’m starting to get the irons back though after some increased focus. I’ll carry my driver 260+. Putting is average, mostly two putts. I’ve also discovered some consistency in my chipping gaining confidence around the green.

Current gamer is TaylorMade M2. I wasn’t fit for it, going to Golf Galaxy off the used rack. I’ve loved it for 12 rounds this year. My #1 priority with the driver is hit fairway taking penalty areas out of play, I’ll take chances, reaching the P5 in 2, but I’ve tried to focus on better course management to get my handicap down. Typical club into par 4s is a 9I (145).

First Impressions:

I won’t regurgitate the OEM claims (click here). The claims by the OEM I’ll be paying attention to and putting to the test over the next few months include:

• Flight Tuning System
  • RollFace Technology
  • SlipStream™ Sole

For some more info from MGS check out these links:

The box was sitting in my living room and my brother in-law asked what’s Tour Edge?

2.thumb.jpg.e70a5424c7ee8177fa1ce32f89d2dd2b.jpg

That was my initial thought as I was reading MGS. I remember seeing some signage at the local shops but hadn’t ever taken a look or hit a club. Cheap driver, cheap results right? I’ve always been drawn to the bigger brands. After reading up on drivers the last few months, I’m willing to look past brands.

Specs: 10.5 Loft / Mitsubishi CK Blue 60 Stiff Shaft / .25” long (45.75”) / Midsize Grip. There weren’t significant shaft options to choose from. I’m 6’4, a bigger/athletic build, so the stiff shaft and slight increase in shaft length really helped. Grip options were meh, I’ll be putting a GP Align eventually.

7.thumb.jpg.90f48faa2fbe45b6f245da6da34a68f4.jpg15.thumb.jpg.19ff9b8a7e4286804f537e1811b2ea15.jpg16.thumb.jpg.dc33a06192b2dfee3e26acee1662fd8c.jpg8.thumb.jpg.59c4907e5b3537075658d8d32d77796e.jpg

At first look, I was impressed with the aesthetics. It is a great looking driver, maybe I’m bias but I love the blue accents (my favorite color). It doesn’t look like a “value” priced driver that’s for sure.

5.thumb.jpg.4b76076e580498c486f2c81fb4a63be8.jpg14.thumb.jpg.c76644bda51086fcc361623d3e2027cb.jpg10.thumb.jpg.dcacb277f5bead4b82b961b3856ff970.jpg9.thumb.jpg.0bc77c42573f272bb3e32da03b3224d3.jpg11.thumb.jpg.b8e1e14ff382b5e6f31f45ca5515d6d9.jpg12.thumb.jpg.fa6e5e7d6a86b812425b876ac3fee8c2.jpg

Over the next handful of months, I will be testing the EXS on the range, on the course, with my SC200, and launch monitors at my local facilities as often as possible. I’ll throw on an Arccos to track stats as well. I fully intend to focus on evaluating the Tour Edge Claims and providing candid feedback to the MGS community, especially those higher handicappers where I can relate.

I’ve had it on the course twice and a few range sessions with promising results. The launch monitors and SC200 are ready to show me some data and validate the OEM claims. It hasn’t earned a spot in my bag permanently yet, but it has a chance…more to come!

Follow me on Instagram (@jones_zs) and Twitter (@Joneszs). I’ll be sure to post pics/videos of my rounds/swings there too. If there is anything specific you want to know or want me to test...don't hold back!

Edited by ZJBogey2
  • Like 8
  • Love 1

This should be a great review, Tour Edge has a reputation for great fairway woods. It's going to be interesting to see if a $299 driver can keep up with the more popular OEM's.

This is a great group of testers, and I can't wait to hear what y'all think.

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

This should be a great review...

...I can't wait to hear what y'all think.

Same here! Give us all the deets, guys - good and not so good 👍

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

This should be a great review, Tour Edge has a reputation for great fairway woods. It's going to be interesting to see if a $299 driver can keep up with the more popular OEM's.

This is a great group of testers, and I can't wait to hear what y'all think.

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

So far my initial range sessions have been really impressive. It's definitely living up to the bang for the buck. More info coming soon... 

• Like 1

I'm most interested too as I recently purchased one and it's been in play now perhaps 1.5 months and around 8-9 rounds. I keep telling myself to consider a little added weight in the rear port. My distance has increased which is good but I've decided that's mostly due to my lower ball flight. I ditched the stock Tensei Blue S shaft as it was a non-starter for me.

Good luck guys. I'll be watching and commenting. 

• Like 1

It really is refreshing in the world of $500+ drivers who all claim that looks and tech have to = $$$, to see those claims debunked with a driver like this. It really does have the potential to check all of the boxes. Can't wait to follow!

the more I practice, the luckier I seem to get..

• Like 2

I hope it's ok for me to make comments about my EXS experience in this topic. I think you guys are going to like the EXS very much. Today I had my lowest round of the year so far. +2. I've been teetering on the brink of going low for the past few weeks. My game today was solid tee to green. But... my EXS set it all up. Who says it's bad to drive for show? I only had one bad tee shot all day where driver was used. Everything else with the EXS was long in the mow. I've suggested here in the forum and to myself to add a little more weight in the rear of the head but now I'm having reservations. I liked everything about my ball flight and distance today. Funny how a good ground changes your thoughts. But actually, my driving with the EXS has been generally good recently. Perhaps I'm finally beginning to grow into the club after a 5 year successful run with the SLDR. 

Let see you thoughts guys. I'm ready. 🏌️‍♂️

• Like 4

On 5/18/2019 at 1:06 PM, PlaidJacket said:

I'm most interested too as I recently purchased one and it's been in play now perhaps 1.5 months and around 8-9 rounds. I keep telling myself to consider a little added weight in the rear port. My distance has increased which is good but I've decided that's mostly due to my lower ball flight. I ditched the stock Tensei Blue S shaft as it was a non-starter for me.

Good luck guys. I'll be watching and commenting. 

What shaft did you get to replace the Tensie Blue S? Just curious

8 hours ago, J.B. TexasEx said:

What shaft did you get to replace the Tensie Blue S? Just curious

JB I had a spare Fujikura Speeder 57-S like I have in my SLDR. I pulled the EXS tip/adapter from the Tensei and put it on the Speeder. It made a complete difference to me in how the EXS played - performed. I guess it just goes to show how important a shaft can be. Without the right shaft for your swing profile no club/driver will live up to it's potential IMO.

I'll have my Stage 1 up mid-week. After a few range sessions and putting the club in the bag this weekend for 36 holes, my feelings are still mixed. More deets coming soon! 

• Like 1

Looking forward to this one! At $299, I bet this is a steal.

Great job !  You're exactly right and it was one of the first things I thought of.... 299 for that driver is an absolute steal of a deal!  That looks just like drivers that are 200 dollars more.

Hope the initial testing works out...sounds promising!!

• Like 1