Liv Golf Central Thread: Events and News

Thin2win

1 minute ago, DaveP043 said:

You and I may not ever know what the players have agreed to, unless it comes out during a lawsuit.  However, I wouldn't be surprised if a short suspension might be in the agreement, with increasing terms of suspension for repeated violations.  A "lifetime" ban seems unlikely to be included in those documents, although a player COULD be penalized by losing all "rights" that he's earned through past participation or success on the tour.  They COULD have to go back to the Korn Ferry Tour to qualify for the top tour.  Or get through Monday qualifying, or depend on sponsor invitations.  Let's be clear, this is pure speculation on my part, but that type of escalating "punishment" seems reasonably likely to me.

As you say, and I agree completely, someone will try to sue.  It happens regularly, people or companies filing a lawsuit to get out of contracts that they signed willingly yesterday, yet find inconvenient today.

Some of these players have supposed "lifetime" exemptions into The Masters, PGA, or have amassed enough money or status to play any event they might ever wish to play.  If they're no longer members of the PGA Tour, do those Tour associated benefits go away?  Pat Perez mentioned in the SubPar podcast also that they might forfeit their retirement contributions from the Tour, health care, etc.  It's going to be an interesting Summer...

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x 
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

5 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

You and I may not ever know what the players have agreed to, unless it comes out during a lawsuit.  However, I wouldn't be surprised if a short suspension might be in the agreement, with increasing terms of suspension for repeated violations.  A "lifetime" ban seems unlikely to be included in those documents, although a player COULD be penalized by losing all "rights" that he's earned through past participation or success on the tour.  They COULD have to go back to the Korn Ferry Tour to qualify for the top tour.  Or get through Monday qualifying, or depend on sponsor invitations.  Let's be clear, this is pure speculation on my part, but that type of escalating "punishment" seems reasonably likely to me.

As you say, and I agree completely, someone will try to sue.  It happens regularly, people or companies filing a lawsuit to get out of contracts that they signed willingly yesterday, yet find inconvenient today.

My guess is the players would argue that the PGA Tour has been the only available forum to play high level professional golf in the U.S., that a player can't reasonably negotiate his contract with them because they are effectively a monopoly, and that a long-term ban or suspension for trying to play an occasional tournament outside the PGA Tour is an unreasonable restraint that should not be enforced.

Edited by LICC
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, MGoBlue100 said:

That's a "parody" account not associated with LIV Golf.

opps, thanks for the correction 🙂

• Like 3

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 1/2" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue  :scotty-cameron-1:2021 Phantom X5 35"

Ball:    :srixon-small: Z Star XV (back up balls :titleist-small:ProV1 Left Dot,  :OnCore:Vero X1, :titelist-small: proV1)

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 115 in the MGS Speed Challenge

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

Somewhat surprised that Patrick Reed isn't playing in London.

Its not like he's loosing too many fans from any move and he is relatively unsponsored given he is a recent Masters Champion, etc.

:titelist-small:  TSi 3   9.0  AV Raw White 65 Stiff

:titelist-small:  TSi 3  15.0 GD Tour AD - DI 6 Stiff

:titelist-small: TS3 21 Hybrid Tensei AV Blue 65 HY Stiff

:titelist-small: U-510 19 Utility Iron HZDUS Smoke Black 6.0 Stiff

Haywood  5-PW iron Signature - Recoil 780 ES F4 Stiff - Bent 2 deg flat

:taylormade-small:  52 - 09 Tour Preferred EF  - KBS Tour Wedge 

Haywood   56 - 12 KBS Tour Wedge

:taylormade-small:  60 - 10 Tour Preferred - KBS Tour Wedge 

:titelist-small:  Scotty Special Select - Squareback 2 - 35”

:srixon-small: Z-Star XV 

image.png.1cf0013c54bf0f68066ba2034c7799d0.png

:Arccos: Official Tester - 2021

22 minutes ago, MGoBlue100 said:

Some of these players have supposed "lifetime" exemptions into The Masters, PGA, or have amassed enough money or status to play any event they might ever wish to play.  If they're no longer members of the PGA Tour, do those Tour associated benefits go away?  Pat Perez mentioned in the SubPar podcast also that they might forfeit their retirement contributions from the Tour, health care, etc.  It's going to be an interesting Summer...

The Masters, the US Open, the (British) Open, the PGA Championship, none of them are run by the PGA Tour, so I'm not sure that any PGA Tour actions would be binding any of the Majors.  As to PGA Tour retirement and health benefits, I just don't know.

22 minutes ago, LICC said:

My guess is the players would argue that the PGA Tour has been the only available forum to play high level professional golf in the U.S., that a player can't reasonably negotiate his contract with them because they are effectively a monopoly, and that a long-term ban or suspension for trying to play an occasional tournament outside the PGA Tour is an unreasonable restraint that should not be enforced.

That's the reasoning I've read too.  I also read where Paul Goydos says he signs a 1-year agreement with the PGA Tour every year.   Only a guess, but the logical time to begin that yearly agreement is after the Tour Championship and before the start of then 2021-2022 season.  The players knew about the LIV Tour at that time, they DID have an option to make their golfing living outside the PGA Tour.  Yet they chose to remain in the PGA Tour ranks.  I'm no attorney, the courts will eventually decide, but that timing makes the claims of a "monopoly" a little less valid in my mind.

Edited by DaveP043
  • Hmmm 1

:titelist-small: Irons Titleist AP2 714, KBS Tour S, 3 flat

:callaway-small: Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:vokey-small: 52, 56, and 60 wedges

:ping-small: B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

5 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

The Masters, the US Open, the (British) Open, the PGA Championship, none of them are run by the PGA of America, so I'm not sure that any PGA Tour actions would be binding any of the Majors.

I have read that the PGA Championship eligibility could be affected, because PGA Tour players are automatically members of the PGA. If a player is no longer a member of the PGA Tour, they could lose their PGA membership too, and thus not be eligible for the PGA Championship, absent a different exemption to play.

• Hmmm 1

13 minutes ago, LICC said:

I have read that the PGA Championship eligibility could be affected, because PGA Tour players are automatically members of the PGA. If a player is no longer a member of the PGA Tour, they could lose their PGA membership too, and thus not be eligible for the PGA Championship, absent a different exemption to play.

Where there could be issues impacting majors will be if LIV does not count towards OWGR points. That would essentially eliminate their members from all majors, except the lifetime people. I wouldn't put it past the R&A, USGA, PGA of Am, and Augusta National to twist the arm of the OWGR to do something like that. OWGR needs these 4 orgs to stay relevant.

My biggest takeaway is for people like Gooch and the college guys and really young talent like Andy Ogletree. Rather than betting on themselves to make a name for themselves on the PGA tour, they are taking guaranteed money that might impact their ability to play on the PGA tour and any future majors for the rest of their career.  

• Like 1

:taylormade-small: M6 12* Oban Kiyoshi Purple 65g stiff

:titelist-small: TS2 16.5* HL Oban Kiyoshi Purple 75g stiff

:ping-small:  G410 Hybrid 19* Tour stiff 

:ping-small: i210 KBS tour stiff 4-GW

:cleveland-small: 54* RTX Zipcore

:ping-small: 58* glide 3.0

:taylormade-small:  TP Black Copper Juno 34in

Oncore elixr or Snell MTBx

Hilarious. 42 players, about 90% no one cares about except their Moms.

• Like others I am surprised DJ signed up, but he's not a kid anymore. I wonder if sponsors will dump him, but I assume his peeps asked all that before signing.
  • Oosthuizen, Poulter, Westwood and Garcia are (well) past their prime.
  • Kevin "win at all costs" Na meant "if I can win by playing against a bunch of no names and get big $, I'm in, hypocrit.
  • And the rest of them aren't contenders on the PGA any more, some never were.
  • Oh, and where's Phil - he might as well play LIV now, or maybe they don't want him either. Ouch...

In fact, I really wonder how sponsors will treat all the LIV players? I won't be interested in anything they promote. Maybe Cadence will become a prominent LIV sponsor. https://www.cadenceinc.com/products/bone-saws-shaver-blades

82b14680_image.jpeg

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 TSR w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX900 Forged 4-GW, S18 56.10, S18 60.06 w MCC+4 Midsize
  • Evnroll ER5B Fit@TrueSpec w P2 Touch Tour
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

Although not a fan of the league I'll probably tune in out of curiosity for at least a few minutes. 

M my fantasy team isn't really effected at all thankfully and that's a major reason why i watch anything that isn't a major. 

• Like 2

⛳🛄 as of Oct 31, 2022 (Past WITB
Driver:   TBD: Follow here: Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: King SZ 3 wood 15.5*

:ping-small: G410 Crossover - 4 iron or others....

Irons:     :Sub70: Sub70 659 TC Raw 5-Aw w/ KBS Tour 90 Stiff Black PVD

Wedge:  :ping-small: Glide 2.0 54* 58* w/ Nippon Modus 105 Stiff

Putter:   :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7 35* and oversized grip (2019 Tester)

Balls:     :taylormade-small:/:titleist-small: (currently testing)

Other:     :Arccos: 

28 minutes ago, TBS said:

Where there could be issues impacting majors will be if LIV does not count towards OWGR points. That would essentially eliminate their members from all majors, except the lifetime people. I wouldn't put it past the R&A, USGA, PGA of Am, and Augusta National to twist the arm of the OWGR to do something like that. OWGR needs these 4 orgs to stay relevant.

My biggest takeaway is for people like Gooch and the college guys and really young talent like Andy Ogletree. Rather than betting on themselves to make a name for themselves on the PGA tour, they are taking guaranteed money that might impact their ability to play on the PGA tour and any future majors for the rest of their career.  

If they play LIV for a year, maybe two, then say they want to play the PGA Tour and agree to no longer play LIV events, I doubt the PGA Tour would turn them away if they show potential to be top talents.

• Like 2

DJ going is a surprise / not a surprise.  It's a big name for liv. I'm sure he is getting a hefty appearance fee outside the purse. He has already shown willingness to sell his NIL for sponsors.  He has the most cringe worthy commercials on TV. The NetJet one where he declares he couldn't go on vacation without a private plane,  then the one where he hits a left handed shot.  So bad.  So this doesn't completely surprise me.

• Like 1

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Utility:    :cobra-small: King Forged 20.5° Utility - Catalyst X

Irons:   image.png.cbfb2d938ea45d82004d9bdeb23cf643.pngD7 Forged GW-5i - Recoils

Wedges:   :Sub70:  JB 52° , 286 56°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

That was quick.

RBC cuts Dustin Johnson after LIV Golf announcement: 'We are extremely disappointed in his decision"
https://www.golfdigest.com/story/rbc-dustin-johnson-liv-golf?utm_medium=email&utm_source=060122&utm_campaign=hitlist&utm_content=DM28284&uuid=99042de7dcf842f183e890f9d596f55d

• Like 1
  • Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 TSR w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX900 Forged 4-GW, S18 56.10, S18 60.06 w MCC+4 Midsize
  • Evnroll ER5B Fit@TrueSpec w P2 Touch Tour
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

2 hours ago, Thin2win said:

DJ going is a surprise / not a surprise.  It's a big name for liv. I'm sure he is getting a hefty appearance fee outside the purse. He has already shown willingness to sell his NIL for sponsors.  He has the most cringe worthy commercials on TV. The NetJet one where he declares he couldn't go on vacation without a private plane,  then the one where he hits a left handed shot.  So bad.  So this doesn't completely surprise me.

I wonder if this is partially due to his friendship with Donald Trump as they often play golf together. Two of these tournaments are on Trump courses. I was listening to the Fire Pit Collective podcast with Michael Bamberger. He spoke with Trump. Trump was angered by the PGA pulling out of playing the Championship at Bedminster.

Ping CB-P226 Hoofer Cart Bag

Ping G400 Max 10.5° w/Ping Alta CB

PXG 0341 3 wood 15° w/Project X Even Flow Blue

PXG 0211 19° Hybrid w/Project X Even Flow Riptide 

Ping G410 Crossover 23° w/Mitsubishi Tensei Blue

PXG 0211 5 - GW w/True Temper Elevate 95

Callaway MD3 54°/12° S Grind w/True Temper Dynamic Gold

Callaway MD3 58°/09° W Grind w/True Temper Dynamic Gold

Evnroll ER11v 34”  Evnroll ER11v Official Review

Shot Scope Pro LX+ Pro LX+ Official Review

Kirkland Signature v2.0

Clicgear 3.5+

1 hour ago, Middler said:

That was quick.

RBC cuts Dustin Johnson after LIV Golf announcement: 'We are extremely disappointed in his decision"
https://www.golfdigest.com/story/rbc-dustin-johnson-liv-golf?utm_medium=email&utm_source=060122&utm_campaign=hitlist&utm_content=DM28284&uuid=99042de7dcf842f183e890f9d596f55d

I'm sure the LIV group is paying him a significantly bigger appearance fee then RBC was giving him as sponsorship. I'm also sure he had talked to RBC and knew that was going to be their position.

• Like 1

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Utility:    :cobra-small: King Forged 20.5° Utility - Catalyst X

Irons:   image.png.cbfb2d938ea45d82004d9bdeb23cf643.pngD7 Forged GW-5i - Recoils

Wedges:   :Sub70:  JB 52° , 286 56°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

4 hours ago, ZJBogey2 said:

I'm not sure of the point here...comparing anyone to Tiger isnt a fair comparison as Tiger IS the needle. Ok, replace DJ with anyone's else name not named Tiger and it would be the same answer (outside of MAYBE Spieth and that isn't even close?). There is also no Rahm, JT, or Rory logo/line. Well, DJ does have his own limited putter (https://www.taylormadegolf.ca/DJ-Limited-Putter/M7044127.html?lang=en_CA)...I imagine others have had something similar along the way. 

I think your statement is the same regardless of the top name you put in there in place of DJ...Rahm with 2 no name players isnt going to grab as big of a crowd as a marquee group with 3 big names...but he is still going to draw more eyes than not and be a bigger draw then 95+% of other tour players. I'm more likely to watch an event with DJ than not DJ. And if I get to watch Rory at the Candian and DJ at LIV the same weekend, awesome as a viewer! 

Exactly. The golfers that people think move the needle really don’t. You take pretty much anyone in the top 50 right out of an event and the attendance for the event doesn’t change nor will the tv coverage. 
 I walked confessional with Adam Scott during one of the AT&T events there with no tiger in the field on a Friday and there was nobody following him. 

Rickie Fowler had a bigger following playing with furyk and angle Cabrera. Outside of fowler, Spieth, Bryson, Koepka and maybe Thomas the rest aren’t moving needles.

Fowler does for puma, Spieth maybe a little for UA and Koepka a bit for Nike shoes.

Koepka had more people interested in Srixon than dj does for adidas or taylormade. Koepkas 4 majors with the Scotty button back increased the secondary market price for that putter.

The DJ putter is an interesting piece of equipment because I’ve never seen a thread in a golf forum talk about it and it’s been listed on eBay for less than the price it originally sold for. That’s not a good sign for moving the needle.

• Like 1

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

3 hours ago, TBS said:

You are correct about the majors, especially the PGA. Even if LIV events counted toward OWGR, how much weight would they have? 54 hole, no cut, weak field events wouldn’t garner much. 

Edited by LICC

3 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Although not a fan of the league I'll probably tune in out of curiosity for at least a few minutes. 

M my fantasy team isn't really effected at all thankfully and that's a major reason why i watch anything that isn't a major. 

Same here.  There is something about a pending train wreck that makes it nearly impossible not to watch 😆.  Kidding aside, if it's televised on TGC, I'll watch it for sure.  But then I watch virtually every tour and NCAA events and don't really care if it's superstar studded or not.  In fact, I like watching players who are closer to the amateur game - still in oxygen starved air, but closer nonetheless.  Also, I suspect the new format and some of the planned side contests, etc. might be fun.

• Like 2

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

Even if LIV wasn't funded by the Saudi Public Interest Fund, I'd have a hard time being interested at all in the series given the info that's come out about how the tournaments are going to be run.

The PGA Tour isn't perfect and there's a number of things I'd like to see them do differently but I still think it's the best type of  platform to display professional golf.

DRIVER PXG 0811XF GEN4 (10.5°)

FAIRWAY WOODS PXG 0341XF GEN4 (16°)

HYBRIDS PXG 0317XF GEN4 (19°), PXG 0317X GEN4 (22°)

IRONS PXG 0311T GEN3 (5 - 9)

WEDGES TAYLORMADE MG3 (45°, 50°, 55° TW Grind),  TAYLORMADE HI-TOE (60°)

PUTTER PXG BATTLE READY ONE & DONE

When asked by Golfweek’s David Dusek via email Tuesday night if former world No. 1 Johnson will continue to wear TaylorMade hats and use branded bags, a TaylorMade representative responded, “We have no comment to make at this time.” That response also included Sergio Garcia’s use of a TaylorMade bag. Other companies such as Ping and Adidas did not respond to initial emails seeking comment.”

• Like 1

9 hours ago, LICC said:

When asked by Golfweek’s David Dusek via email Tuesday night if former world No. 1 Johnson will continue to wear TaylorMade hats and use branded bags, a TaylorMade representative responded, “We have no comment to make at this time.” That response also included Sergio Garcia’s use of a TaylorMade bag. Other companies such as Ping and Adidas did not respond to initial emails seeking comment.”

Right now at this stage all of those companies have their lawyers circling the wagons along with the PGA Tour.

Now to state up front I do not care where DJ plays or anyone for that matter. Now locally the ramifications are already starting for DJ. He does have a big fan base here being from Columbia SC and going to CCU here at the beach. He does have a golf school about a mile or so up the road from me at TPC. The RBC deal is another can of worms. RBC came in here a few years back and saved the Harbour Town tournament after Verizon did not renew the contract. One of the reasons he became an ambassador of the RBC brand was because he was popular and a native of SC. Me like I said could care less what happens either way.

• Like 4

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex---- 3 wood TM V-Steel Aldila 65G R Flex 15*--- 7 Wood TM V-Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex 21*---- 9 wood TM V-Steel stock MAS Stiff shaft 24*---  Irons 4 thru 9 Mac Muirfield TT black label --- PW  Vokey SM-4 51* stock shaft--- SW Vokey SM 5 L grind 58* stock shaft--- Putter -- Rusty Scotty Santa Fe fluted Bulls Eye shaft---. Bag Old School Jones Original non stand