Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

2023 Titleist White Box Testing Thread

GolfSpy_APH

On 11/4/2023 at 11:58 AM, GolfSpy_APH said:

Congrats to everyone chosen….i had been watching for the announcement and completely missed it somehow.  After doing a quick read of the initial thoughts and data looks like this new version of “——-“ ball has promise….keep the data coming, gonna be fun to read and follow along,  

WITB? Ping G400 SFT w/Aldila Mamba shaft R flex; Ping G410 3w; Ping G400 3h(19), 4h(22), 5h(26); TaylorMade SLDR 5i (interchanges w/5h)-PW -stock graphite shafts Rflex; INDI FLX-S wedges (50, 54, 58) w/Recoil graphite shafts -Rflex and Odyssey AI-One 7T BD Milled (aka Millie), ball choice tends to be Pro-V1 or simliar 3pc urethane balls. 

Playing with them today. I hope the leaves were blown so I don’t lose any on this nice fall day. 
I’ve been putting with them- definitely not left dashes as they don’t feel like rocks off my Evnroll. Going to play them along with Pro V1 and Chrome Soft XLS. With the putter, they feel much closer to the Pro V1 than the XLS. 

Driver: Callaway Paradym; Hzrdus Silver 50 Gram

3 Wood: Ping 410; "Otto Phlex" Project X Evenflow Riptide 

7 Wood: Callaway Epic Max 

3, 5-7 Irons: Callaway Apex 19

8-AW Irons: Callaway Apex Pro 19

Wedges: Callaway MD4 54, Callaway MD4 58 X Grind 

Putter: Evnroll ER2v; Midlock and Standard 34 inch with Gravity Gip

Seems like a lot are seeing their AVX balls? I’m curious how they stack up!

Edited by Q22Golf

Driver: TaylorMade M6, stiff, 9°, 45.75"

3W: Lazrus 3 Wood, regular, 15°, 43.5"

3H: Lazrus 3 Hybrid, regular, 18°, 40.75"

5i-PW,AW: TaylorMade M6, steel (PW-43.5°, AW-49° [both 36.00"-D1/C9])

52°W: Lazrus, 52°, 8°, 35.25", D4, Milled face, Forged head, steel

56°W: Lazrus, 56°, 12°, 35.25", D4, Milled face, Forged head, steel

60°W: Lazrus, 60°, 10°, 35.25", D4, Milled face, Forged head, steel

Putter: TaylorMade Spider X Hydroblast, 35", Flow Neck #9 (21° toe hang), KBS Chrome C-Taper Stepless Stability, Superstroke Gtr 1.0 grip

Ball: TaylorMade TP5x, Titleist Pro V1x, experimenting with Snell & Vice

Bag: testing - Stitch Golf SL2 Fadeaway walking bag (active review post link)

On 11/4/2023 at 11:19 AM, GolfSpy BOS said:

IMG_7827.jpg

As the (probably) closest member to Titleist HQ I just received mine today!

Let the testing begin!  (sadly no, the balls do not have the spy logo on them, that is another ball)

Not gonna lie, they kind of look like the Bridgestone balls

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max 9* with Tensei AV Blue 55

PXG 5 and 7 woods with Mitsubishi Diamana Shafts

Mizuno Pro 225 5-GW with Dynamic Gold S300 shafts

Taylormade Hi-Toe 54 and 58 degree wedges

Ping Prime Tyne 4

First hole and ball came off the driver nicely.  Second shot with 60° and stuck it close. 

20231107_065301.jpg.8131c9a32b2eaa00c9f4fb4d09f6e15c.jpg

Ball did scuff a touch after 1 wedge shot. Interested to see what it looks like at the end of the round. 

20231107_065400.jpg.8731627d262ade2295574674d756736b.jpg

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

4 minutes ago, jdparker said:

First hole and ball came off the driver nicely.  Second shot with 60° and stuck it close. 

20231107_065301.jpg.8131c9a32b2eaa00c9f4fb4d09f6e15c.jpg

Ball did scuff a touch after 1 wedge shot. Interested to see what it looks like at the end of the round. 

20231107_065400.jpg.8731627d262ade2295574674d756736b.jpg

Well that's not very promising!  Hate it when it scuffs like that from just a wedge.  I'd like to see it if it made it thru all 18?  LOL 

BTW ... your greens look like sh*t.  What's up with that? 🤣

WITB:  Do I like Titleist or what? 

Driver:     :titleist-small: TSR3 9* UST Mamiya Proto LIN-Q Blue 

Fairways   :titleist-small: TSi2 UST Mamiya LIN-Q Blue 13.5* 

Driving Iron:   :titleist-small: U500 17* :Fuji:  Blue Ventus HB Velocore 

Irons   :titleist-small: T350 4 & 5, T200 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Dart F4 105g

Wedges    :vokey-small: SM9 48*, SM9 52*, SM8 56* Modus Tour Wedge 

Putter    :cameron-small: Newport 2 w/ Garsen Ultimate grip 

Ball    :titleist-small:  *ProV1 Left Dot

22 minutes ago, golfinnut said:

Well that's not very promising!  Hate it when it scuffs like that from just a wedge.  I'd like to see it if it made it thru all 18?  LOL 

BTW ... your greens look like sh*t.  What's up with that? 🤣

Greens are bad!  They haven't redone them in 20 years and are now trying to get funding for them. There are about 12 greens that are good and the rest are rough. 

We have golf balls ladies and gents!

F340608F-77D6-4235-86E3-EDAC928C97D1.jpeg.55a2ba91b24aa4679d339d50a4ce7001.jpeg

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* ➖ PinHawk SLF 16* ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 21.25* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* ➖ :ping-small: Glide 4.0 (S) 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832

2 hours ago, Q22Golf said:

Seems like a lot are seeing their AVX balls? I’m curious how they stack up!

I've recently started playing AVX and finding all the "looks like an AVX" interesting.  As of this morning, I'm hoping my package arrives ahead of @Leonvdwesthuizen.  I used to blame living in rural MT and the Pony Express service 😊.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)

Received my White Box last night.IMG_1633.jpeg.4db3b71bbb55ffa50616d454bdc72b08.jpeg

I was very excited to see what was hidden in the box.IMG_1634.jpeg.b3603a4ab3c1115a8df5fb6cd7d183c2.jpeg

First impression 10/10. The looks are simple and clean which I like. The main first impression was the hexagon dimple pattern. Which prompted me to explore balls I already owned for a quick comparison. Here presented next to the Titleist Left Dash and Titleist AVX. IMG_1635.jpeg.0d57e013a6df8356e19df4b03502eaad.jpeg
I think this ball is a variant of the Titleist AVX.IMG_1636.jpeg.d2f8b86fbe6bac2e0522a92e1103397f.jpeg

Similar dimple patterns as the AVX. Appears to be a softer version of the AVX. 
     Practice and testing 10/10: Putting I used the White Box, the Titleist AVX and a Callaway Chrome Soft X LS. The White Box was soft off the putter. It ran true and was easy to get in a rhythm with the putter. Below where putts from 30 feet. The White Box was the closest to the hole consistently. From 6 feet I made every putt with the White Box.

IMG_1637.jpeg
     Pitching and chipping: The White Box was very similar to a Titleist AVX. On pitch shots it was a one hop and stop. On chips the ball would grab, but did not spin excessively. Fundamentally the White Box was easy to work around the green and the ball’s action was predictable.

IMG_1638.jpeg      On the course and under playing conditions 8/10: I used the ball today and shot 1 under par. Had 2 bogeys and 3 birdies. The ball was easy to use and was very predictable once I got used to the characteristics. 
     Off the driver: I found the ball about 10 yards shorter than the Callaway Chrome Soft X LS or Titleist Left Dash. However, it was on par with the Titleist AVX. The main feature was the ball flew very straight and true. I could work fades or draws, but they were very tight. In my findings the ball would not respond to big lopping movements. In essence, this ball likes to fly straight or with slight movement. It also cut through the wind very well. The feel of the driver was soft. Off the irons: The ball flew about a half club shorter than the Callaway Chrome Soft X LS; however, was equal to the Titleist AVX. Again the ball could be moved left and right, but the movement was tight. There is no excessive spin with this ball and a soft feel. Meaning it goes where you are looking. Additionally, it lands like a lawn dart. One hop and stop was the action. There was no excessive back spin. Most shots hit, stopped and backed up about a foot. Below is a perfect illustration. This was a 6 iron shot from 183 that hit pin high and stuck. 

IMG_1639.jpegAround the greens the White Box Ball performed on the course exactly like in practice. Fundamentally this is a Titleist AVX with less spin and slightly softer. 
     Major takeaways and feedback 28/30: I believe the White Box Ball is an updated Titleist AVX. The ball is very playable. While not the longest ball, it goes exactly where you are looking and still provides adequate distance. The ball did not balloon or show any excessive spin. So, very easy to control off the tee and find the fairway. I found that the White Box Ball cut through the wind very well. Off the irons, the ball could be worked tightly left or right and flighted up or down. Impact on the green is a hit and stop action. The ball’s flight and action is very predictable. As stated earlier, I found the action to be like throwing a lawn dart at the green. Launch, medium flight and hit and stop. This is a very playable ball for all levels of players. The White Box was easy to control around the greens. While the ball is soft it did make a distinct noise off the wedges. The ball putted softly and ran true. It was easy to putt and held the line nicely. The only cons: First, I found it about an half club shorter than the Callaway Chrome Soft X LS or Titleist Left Dash. Secondly, the ball did show some wear marks when hit with hard wedge shots. So, durability is an issue. Third, the ball while workable, does have limits on the spin one can apply. Basically, this ball wants to fly straight. Ultimately, if you liked the Titleist AVX, then you would absolutely love this golf ball. It is a improved version and very playable golf ball! Please hit me up with any questions.

Edited by Javs
Updated X 2

Play like a champion today!

First round complete with the test ball.  

Here are my findings...

1. Driver - comes off the face with a soft feel.  I did lose some distance off the tee but not much.

2. Greenside - greens were still wet so I didnt get much spin but the ball did stop quickly and was either a short 1 hop or slight backspin. Need to test on an afternoon round when the greens are dry. 

3. Durability - scuffing ended up being pretty minimal but it did happen after just a few wedge shots. 

20231107_083411.jpg.9fde0d15cdc5d7192cb5f2de011c8f5d.jpg20231107_092633.jpg.f47f2d6f145fd03e1d84425764ad9def.jpg20231107_092624.jpg.0a83b07cf4d94b8ee4e19aaea536a5fe.jpg

I am really excited to be a tester for this year!

Just got these bad boys in the mail yesterday - already booked some sim time for this evening. Hopefully I'll get some useful data up against my typical ball, the Bridgestone e6. The plan is to (hopefully) get out on a course sometime in the coming weeks. Might be challenging with the lack of daylight, but we will see!

More to come tonight!

Pic2.jpg

Pic1.jpg

D : Cobra LTDx Max

FW : Stealth 3 Fairway + Big Bertha #7 Hybrid (lol, I know)

Irons : Too Old (Cobra AMP Cell 4-GW)

Wedges : Need Some Recs! Cobra AMP Cell GW Wilson Harmonized 56

Putter : Huntington Beach Soft 11

Ball: Bridgestone e6

Read my 2023 Titleist White Box Review!

My box arrived yesterday. As a comparison, put the Test ball next to a sleeve of ProV1x I had in my bag as well as the 4 boxes of Maxfli Tour balls I recently picked up thanks to the MSG discount code. Looks like rain in the forecast the next two days, so will have to look to rent a simulator to gather some data points. Sounds like the consensus is the Test ball most closely resembles the AVX. I’ve only had one sleeve of AVX at the beginning of this season and I promptly lost them all in a single round.  I’ll have to try hard to not lose these. Looking forward to the testing!

IMG_5808.jpeg

IMG_5809.jpeg

Mine were just delivered this morning so I'll be testing them out on my practice facility's Trackman this week!

Driver: Ping G430 Max 10K 9º | Ping Tour 2.0 Black 75S

Fairway Wood: Ping G430 Max 3W 15º | Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 75S

Hybrids: Ping G425 Max 3H 19º | Tensei Orange 80S & Ping 4i iCrossover 22.5° | Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S

Irons: Mizuno JPX921 Forged (5-GW) | Dynamic Gold 120 S300

Wedges: Ping s159 54º & 58º | PING Z-Z115

Putter: TaylorMade Spider Tour

Ball: ProV1x

On 11/4/2023 at 12:19 PM, GolfSpy BOS said:

IMG_7827.jpg

As the (probably) closest member to Titleist HQ I just received mine today!

Let the testing begin!  (sadly no, the balls do not have the spy logo on them, that is another ball)

The dimples remind me of AVX, interested to hear your review!

Gratefully,

Jordan Churchill

@fixyurdivot, I am very sure that your package will get there before mine does.. Africa is not for sissies..🤣

But it gives me some time to make some plans for where I want to test them!

Got a professional 18 hole par 3 course planned along with some launch monitor testing, but the course is in tip top shape, so it should really show off the short game Wedges and putting, which is what it's all about!

"It's not how you drive.. but how you arrive"

MY WITB list

Bag: Adidas 7 way stand bag

Cart: :Clicgear: Model 3

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth 9°

FW: :wilson_staff_small: D9 Fairway 

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: Launcher

Irons: :wilson_staff_small: D9 4 - SW

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore  52deg, 60deg

Putter: :taylormade-small: Kia Ma Daytona

Ball:  :taylormade-small:Soft Response,  :srixon-small: AD333, :callaway-small: Supersoft

25 minutes ago, Leonvdwesthuizen said:

@fixyurdivot, I am very sure that your package will get there before mine does.. Africa is not for sissies..🤣

But it gives me some time to make some plans for where I want to test them!

Got a professional 18 hole par 3 course planned along with some launch monitor testing, but the course is in tip top shape, so it should really show off the short game Wedges and putting, which is what it's all about!

"It's not how you drive.. but how you arrive"

It worked... a little whining always seems to help 🤣.  River greeted the FedEx delivery guy.  He knows him well, and I said to go ahead and give him the box.  After a couple of circles around the front patio, he released custody to me.

river.jpg.bfcec81edde22137c5b2fe04ef7e6bd9.jpg

Titleist Test #1... something about #1 that is extra special 👍.  

testpackage.jpg.6aca245e001818235d348fa9c8e62a2f.jpg

And here are the contenders

testgroup.jpg.c451c3259841a06c95edc65338539e58.jpg

At first look, the "Test" ball does have a dimple pattern that most closely matches the AVX, somewhat similar to the Maxfli Tour, and unlike the TP5. My first foray will be chipping over at the Granite Falls North practice area later this afternoon; hopefully seeing any differences in stopping prowess.

3vuej7.gif

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)

I played with one of the test balls for 12 and 1/2 holes this morning, at which point a very stupid decision led to it being lost in a hazard.  First impressions are that it is as long as anything out there and feels pretty good off the putter (not too hard/clicky).  It doesn't seem to spin as much as my gamer Bridgestone B XS on short shots around the green.  I did test resistance to damage by hitting a pine tree with a tee shot.  Not a mark on it.

I'm going to get some launch monitor numbers in the next day or two and compare it to the Bridgestone and the Titleist Pro V1x.

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

Has anyone gone thru a golf ball fitting before and would recommend a type of simulator that provides the best ball data.  I know not all spin measurements are created equally.  I figure this would be the best way to compare the test ball to my gamer.

In the Denver area I have a few places that use Uneekor.  Golf Galaxy has Trackman.  Not sure what PGA Superstore uses.

What's recommended for ball fittings?

Edited by CK1over

These Balls needs some tweaks between the 40 yds. and in category. Too wild for me, or just not my cup of tea. Drove long enough, but WAY too hot. I lost all three, and don't even feel bad about it.  Maybe I am a bad golfer, but I'll stick to the previous generation AVX. I really think they are testing for distance anyways, and feel these are a work in progress.

8 hours ago, DukeStKing said:

Playing with them today. I hope the leaves were blown so I don’t lose any on this nice fall day. 
I’ve been putting with them- definitely not left dashes as they don’t feel like rocks off my Evnroll. Going to play them along with Pro V1 and Chrome Soft XLS. With the putter, they feel much closer to the Pro V1 than the XLS. 

Just as I feared- lost one in the leaves. 

I really enjoyed the Test ball- played very similar to the Pro V1. But I think it’s an AVX as others have guessed. Maybe a slightly firmer AVX, but with the same low ball flight. I was very impressed with it around the greens - I was an up and down machine on the front 9- had 12 putts, which is unreal for me. The ball stopped on dime anytime I wanted it. Ended up playing a very good round with it in very wet conditions. The Test ball carried a little less because of the lower trajectory off the driver than the ProV1. Since it was so wet I never bothered playing the Chrome Soft XLS. I only compared it to the V1. I often play both the ProV1 and AVX- and this one seems like something slightly in between. 

Didn’t have any durability issues- I hit a tree on the back 9 and it didn’t leave a mark. 

Hopefully getting out with it again on Friday. Maybe then I’ll compare it to the CS XLS. 

Driver: Callaway Paradym; Hzrdus Silver 50 Gram

3 Wood: Ping 410; "Otto Phlex" Project X Evenflow Riptide 

7 Wood: Callaway Epic Max 

3, 5-7 Irons: Callaway Apex 19

8-AW Irons: Callaway Apex Pro 19

Wedges: Callaway MD4 54, Callaway MD4 58 X Grind 

Putter: Evnroll ER2v; Midlock and Standard 34 inch with Gravity Gip